Continuing, my series of highly informative State essays, I’ve long had a theory, that I’ve mainly kept to myself for the sake of my own personal safety, that the prettier and more rural a state is, the higher the likelihood will be that Old Paw who runs the corner store is banging his own sister and proudly harbouring several junior Paws all with six toes and an unusual arrangement of facial features. It doesn’t say it in any geography books I’ve read but who are you going to believe, some learned professor type, or me? Really?
Which brings me neatly to West Virginia. Who doesn’t think of West Virginia without snickering and coming up with phrases like “inter-familial-boning” (I just made that up, it’s good no?) and visions of scraggly, old, beardy-men brewing moonshine in the woods, while wolves howl in the background and scraggly, old, beardy-dude number one’s seventeen year old daughter, Luanne, can be heard indignantly yelling way in the distance, “Noooooo Jim-Bob, y’all put it in back or we’ll git pregnate!”
Whoa, even I can’t believe I wrote that. I AM sorry.
But only a little.
Anyway, moving swiftly on, John Denver seemed to like WV and its “Country Roads” and there’s no debating that if you like mountains and forestland, and what sort of city-assed pantywaist doesn’t, you’ll see the beauty in West Virginia. Majestic mountain ranges, lush valleys, regal forests and fuck-me-I’m-running-out-of-impressive-adjectives type of rivers, all make up its inner structure.
In actual fact WV was once part of Virginia, way back in the fetal stages of the day, but decided to secede from its confederate neighbour during the American Civil War after Virginia took its ball and refused to give it back or even let it play with it. Allegedly. That’s how I heard it anyway. Never you mind my sources.
Despite what you might think, West Virginia’s state motto isn’t, “Don’t y’all look at my sister that way, she’s mine”, it’s actually, "Montani Semper Liberi” or “Mountaineers are always free” if you prefer English. That motto is really only true if those mountaineers are not captured by some baggy-eyed, hillbilly Appalachian types in overalls with a tooth apiece and who want you to impregnate their daughter. Yet, despite West Virginia’s “rustic” qualities it’s one of the few states that do not have the death penalty.
Not officially anyway…
Now that I’ve gotten those stereotypes out of the way what can I tell you that’s interesting about West Virginia? That it’s the most northernmost southern state in the United States? That a tiny part of it is actually above the Mason Dixon line and so dangerously close to Washington DC that they can come down from the mountain and steal your children at night? That the highest point in the entire mountainous state is a place superbly named “Spruce Knob” making me twelve years old again by saying things like, “I really want to sit on Spruce Knob”.
I hear it’s a big knob.
I actually tried to read the Wiki page on West Virginia for serious research purposes, but it was full of actual information and statistics and links and YAWWWWWWN! Who can read pages of that nonsense without spontaneously combusting? It didn’t mention incest or toothlessness or scandal even one time, (BOOOOOORING!) so I found myself drifting off and thinking things like, “I wonder if I can bake an awesome new lemon cake tonight?” and “I really need to scratch an itch all up in my bum, but someone might notice.”
Lastly, it turns out those tooth-devoid, daddy-humping, banjo playing Appalachian people are actually descended from the Scots and Northern Irish, which makes them related to…me. What goes around comes around, as some purveyor of useless, smug sayings once pronounced. As of now, I’m delighted to report that I still have a full set of teeth and am happily not married to my uncle, so I don’t think there’s any reason to panic.
I think that’s about all you need to know really.
Please note that this informative essay is for fun purposes only. I don’t really believe that West Virginians are in-bred, half-witted, toothless, backwoods dullards.
Not all of them, anyway.
But Veg WHY are you writing about West Virginia????? Why why why West Virginia??? and not any of the other fifty odd states you could blog about???
ReplyDeleteYep, got it... you're moving there aren't you???
Bet that's a Bad Idea! Bet they don't have broadband!
Hahaha, no. I am not. But someone did suggest it the other day so I thought "Why the hell NOT West Virginia"? I mean I had to get to it sometime, no?
ReplyDeleteYou are a bad girl, Veg! lol
ReplyDeleteWest Virginia will take me outside and beat my ass! :)
ReplyDeleteI used to sing that song...Country Roads...at old folks' homes.
ReplyDeleteThat song was BORING.
Hahaha, I took guitar lessons when I was about ten and that was a song we had to learn. Damn that song!
ReplyDeleteActually, looking at the map, it looks more like "Northwestern Virginia."
ReplyDeleteI'll start working on the petition.
Shit I thought I was back in school taking U.S history. This piece reminds me of a bit by Bill Hicks RE: W. Virginia. he said an audience member that approached him after the show and said, "This is my sister and wife." And there was one person standing there. Hey stereotypes are fun. Let's be honest.
ReplyDeleteMoooooog: You do that. Let's at least have HONEST names for our states!
ReplyDeleteIsrael: Haha, yes they are. Holy shit, someone said that for real? See? Proves my point.
Mountain mamaaaaaa... Take me hooooome... my country Ro, oh shit... shoot me now. Please!
ReplyDeletewait-- "Mountaineers are always free"... Well, to do WHAT, exactly? Decide? Be You and Me? Choose? or is this a play on words about mountin' something??
ReplyDeleteEman: Haha!!! See if I've had to sing it all day someone else should damn well have to suffer. Sorry it's you, dude.
ReplyDeleteCap'n: I like your last theory. :)Although I think it's just a decoy to detract us from the real motto which goes, "moonshinin', dancin' and botherin' wildlife since 1776".
Honestly WV, I'm kidding.
i think when john denver (may he rest in peace) said almost heaven, west virginia, what he really meant to was
ReplyDeleteMASSACHUSETTS IS THE BEST COMMONWEALTH EVA.
no, really, it was like, a slang term back in the day.
seriously. google it.
(don't google it.)
:P
Hahahahaha! Good old commonwealth Mass. :) Just wait. Me and Mass. have a history. It involves a mallet and the Red Sox.
ReplyDeleteWow, I don't believe I have ever been anywhere where only 13% of the population aren't infected with the crazies.. I mean, I feel uncomfortable in the smaller.. villages, around here and they're like not pitch fork-religious.
ReplyDeleteBecause there's only two options. Sane, or pitch fork mob mad.
I said it. But your post still tops me so I'll get away with it.
Oh I don't know, man. You're pretty lynchable with that comment. :)
ReplyDeleteWest Virginia is one of the few states that you can be married to your sister because she might also be your aunt/grandma at the same time. Tthe family tree is really more of just a root there.
ReplyDeleteI looked that up in one of those fancy search engine thingys...
or a porn site, I can never keep them straight.
You're like Comedy Central's roasts but instead of D-list celebs like Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson, you take on each of the United States! People are gonna be begging you to take on their state next! You can be the next Lisa Lampanelli! (Brutal but genius!) Love it! :)
ReplyDeleteLMAO!!! My dad was from West Virginia and believe me, stereotypes happen for a reason. And certainly it's not all of them, if you go to the city of Hungtington you'll meet people who seem more like "the rest of us". You're safe there, as long as you're not part of the family so do check your relation. :)
ReplyDeleteI love John Denver
ReplyDeletecountry roads, take me home, to the place i bleong west virginia mountain mama , take me home , country roads.
I could go on
Skypop: Somehow I'm not at all surprised by this nugget of information, Sir. :)
ReplyDeleteRobin: I don't know who Lisa Lampanelli is but if I'm like her she must be AWESOME. Or a bitch. I'm not sure which.
Gennifer: Your dad isn't your boyfriend too is he? :) Ha! You're the closest so far to an actual West Virginian!
Penny: Please don't. Really. Please do not.
As a former East Virginian, I know a few things about West By God, as they call it.
ReplyDeleteHighest rate of edentulism (toothlessness) in the country. Fact. Contrary to the geographical waxings of Mr. Denver, the Shenandoah River does not go through any part of West By God. Also a fact.
I lost my karaoke virginity and was plied with drinks by a gay bartender at a shabby motel in West Virginia while stranded in a massive snowstorm. The next day, I vomited out the door of my moving truck as I wended my way through the majestic mountains. I don't think the bartender actually molested me. Fact?
And all of that is endlessly more interesting than this entry Beta Dad! :) You know, I didn't even know the Shenandoah didn't flow through WV because I believe everything John Denver says. He fills up my senses like night in a forest. I did notice none of the stuff I read even mentioned the Shenandoah. That false prophet! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds wonderful. Do they have sheep and goats as well? - If so then it truly would be the the Spruce Knob.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day, Boonie
I'm going to pretend I understood that, Boonie and that it isn't dirty in some way. Which I am suspicious it is. :)
ReplyDeleteYou should be a geography teacher.... very informative....thanks for that!
ReplyDeleteYes, I would last a long time as a geography teacher I'm sure. Or any teacher. I have a feeling my teachings are off the corriculum. :)
ReplyDeleteThey prefer it if you call their dental situation "summer teeth."
ReplyDelete(PS that means some er there, some aren't.)
I'm fluent in West Virginian. I have a whole mess o' kin in those parts.
Aw yes, another State you'll never be allowed to visit again.
ReplyDeleteOnly 48 more to go.
*ahem* It's "pregnit."
ReplyDeleteBelieve me, I know. Pittsburgh is way too close to the WV border.
This is offensive and stereotypical and I love every word of it! I 100-percent believe and agree with everything you said. However please don't mention West Virginia's not-so-distant geographic relation to DC. That scares me. I'm gonna wear my metal underwear to sleep tonight.
ReplyDeleteMy dad was also my uncle for a little over a year and I'm never lived in West Vir...
ReplyDeleteI probably shouldn't have told you that.
Elly: Hahaha! So THAT is what Wilco were singing about all those years ago? Summer Teeth was an ode to West Virginia! :)
ReplyDeleteEd: This is true. Wow, I'm racking them up by now.
Beck: I'll take it as sage advice from a "native". Almost. Somehow it explains a LOT. :)
Nicole: Yes, just be sure to wear a chastity belt at all times and maybe if you could rig up some sort of booby trap too just for extra peace of mind?
Ms. OWO: Shhhh! Your secret's safe. Plus you're too literate to have any WV in you. :) I'm sure SC is a much more intellectual state. Or GA. I'm confused as to which you're actually in most of the time. They kind of merge into one big north of Florida mass to me...
*raises hand*
ReplyDeleteMiss, miss...
Are we going to have a test on this? If we get the answers wrong will we have to sit on the Spruce Knob? What about splinters?
Girl, the majestic Spruce Knob will be hereby used as a threat to get my own way anytime. It's a righteous knob. Be afraid.
ReplyDeleteIf the percentage of a state's population that lives in trailers, is an measuring stick. Then WV is uptown compared to several states.
ReplyDeleteWell we were discussing trailers on someone's blog the other day and decided that some of them are pretty nice and not at all trashy. I'm thinking you mean trashy trailer parks here, the stereotypical ones, in which case I'm sure there are some other states flying THAT flag, yes. :)
ReplyDeleteIf there's one thing people enjoy more than comedy, it's being outraged.
ReplyDeleteWell said! People sure get a giant kick out of being shocked and offended. It's really just another way of getting attention, right?
ReplyDeleteLMAO!!! No but I had an uncle who thought I was hot. lol I don't thnk real West Virginians have computers so you might be safe!
ReplyDeleteLet's hope so! Plus maybe if they do have computers they're the ones who leave those illiterate comments on YouTube? :) God, sorry WV, I truly don't mean any of this. Much. Maybe a little bit.
ReplyDeleteSpruce Knob? Spruce Knob??????!!!
ReplyDeleteI hear it's a majestic knob.
Ahem.
While we're on the subject of John Denver the best song he (n)ever recorded was A Farewell to John Denver.
geez, in retrospect I probably should've watched the GG instead of doing all that yardwork in FrontierVille on FaceBook...
ReplyDeleteRichard: Damn I'm off to click that link right now and if it's a rickroll I'll track you down and kick your ass. :)
ReplyDeleteCap'n: Probably that would've been wise, yes. Just like commenting on the right entry would have been wise, you rule breaker. :)
hahaha! this is hilariuos! I would have to agree with some of your insights about West ByGod Virginia. One could get lost there and never return. About as bad as living down south in ole Kentuck. I had a friend of mine get lost down in KY around Hazard somewhere and these feller, who were less than strikingly handsome circled her and sniffed her, like a dog would sniff a cat's ass...yep! true story. She said she was scared to death they'd keep her. hahaha!
ReplyDeleteWhoa!!! That is just creepy! :) Seriously, that's the stuff nightmares are made of. Well unless she's made of chocolate or something, then I'd probably sniff her too.
ReplyDeleteOooh, for a moment I thought I was back in rural France!
ReplyDeleteI refuse to believe 13% of West Virginians aren't religious. I've been there.
ReplyDeleteHahahahaha. Oops. Maybe the 13% are just unaccounted for. Or Satanists.
ReplyDeleteWhen you get to New Jersey, there will be blood :)
ReplyDeleteThen you will prove my point entirely about New Jersey residents. :)
ReplyDeleteSomeone once informed me that West Virginia had a law regarding bestiality. Supposedly, it's illegal to have sexual relations with an animal under 20 pounds.
ReplyDeleteSo, you may not be too far off with those stereotypes. At any rate, I'll be sure to roll up the windows and lock the doors if I have cause to travel through WV. Beware those Deliverance-looking types, they're "Wild and Wonderful" or so I hear.
Just sayin'.
Haha, for REAL? That's...scary yet not that surprising. Holy crap, you can diddle a cow but don't THINK about molesting a cat, sucker. Scary.
ReplyDelete