Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Presenting North Dakota: The Greatest State of All Time

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 – holy mother of fuck I’m tired, allergies, sprouted grains, lethargy

As you all probably gathered by now, I’m all about teaching people really useful or informative things; new swear words to shout, true historical accounts of things the way they actually happened (i.e., in my head), how to get out of doing almost anything. I figured a good thing to do would be teach you all a bit of useful information about the world, beginning with the United States. So let me ask you this. What is the most awesome state ever out of all fifty states? That’s correct! It’s a state I’ve come to know very well - North Dakota.

I bet you all never gave a hot damn about North Dakota did you? You all probably think it’s some empty, cold wasteland that’s practically in Canada and well…you’d be correct.

 But I’m here to tell you that ND doesn’t get the respect it deserves. North Dakota is a veritable wonderland of fantasy and adventure. And I know this because I found some guy on the web that says so, because he’s a native North Dakotan and he gave many perfectly valid, intelligent reasons as to why ND is the greatest state that ever existed.

Oddly, one of those reasons isn’t, “Because Veg hangs out there”. So clearly, he’s an idiot because I raise that state’s cool profile hugely. Even when I’m not there I’m sure they talk about me with hushed reverence and bestow me with honours. Kind of like when the mudders gave Jayne Cobb a statue (and a song) in Canton after he “donated” all that money to their cause. Look it up, TV philistines.

I’m not sure this ND guy’s done a whole lot of traveling though, because one of his reasons for North Dakota’s supremacy is:

“It is the home of places such as Fargo, Bismarck, Minot, Grand Forks, and Medora”

Yes. Yes it is. All world class cities of major importance and all in close proximity to some fine missile silos. Plus, I can never find a parking spot in downtown Fargo for all those movie stars and fashionistas hanging out everywhere looking glamorous while all I want to do is get into the IHOP.
Or some other posh restaurant that ND is full of.

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

My favourite of all his reasons though was this one, quoted verbatim:

“[ND is] a state that has a high percentage of it's high school graduates go on to collage”

I’m going to go ahead and assume one of those graduates wasn’t this guy, or if it was, we can be pretty sure he didn’t graduate in grammar or spelling. I mean we all make the “it’s” vs. “its” error now and then if we’re in a rush, even I do it sometimes because I know you’ll find this hard to believe, but I’m not 100% perfect, merely about 98.9%. I can forgive that. But “collage”? Although, I don’t know, maybe I’m the idiot because perhaps he just meant that North Dakotan high school grads are just really excellent at making kickass collages of stuff. Like, for example, the 49 better states. Or major highways out of North Dakota.

Sorry North Dakota, I’m kidding. I actually like ND. There, I said it. I’m somewhat amazed at myself but I do. People are nice, stuff is cheap, there’s low tax, lots of space, practically the lowest car insurance in the whole of the United States and it’s close to the three Ms (Minnesota, Montana and Manitoba) if it all gets too much and you need to get out fast.

And then there’s the accent. Ya, ya, you betcha! Who can’t hear that and not be cheered up?

I’m not sure that this is the best reason to toot ND’s horn but this guy does:

“[It is] a state that has a high percentage of church goers.”
This here would be the very reason I’d surround the entire perimeter of my ND apartment with garlic wreaths and photos of Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson every night. Those repel devout church goers, don’t they? Garlic and goths?

So come on peeps, let’s hear it for North Dakota whose slogan isn’t, but should be: NORTH DAKOTA: SOUTH DAKOTA’S AWESOME HAT.

Whose state will I pick on next? Who knows? Suggest one if you want, I have vast and fabulous knowledge about all of them.

54 comments:

  1. We Minnesotans have that same accent. It's reason enough to go visit. Trust me. We're just that cute up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw just when I thought you couldn't be any more perfect, you tell me THAT. That accent is excellent. You can't imagine anything bad coming out of a person that talks like that.

    I guess there are always exceptions though, huh...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! If North Dakota is so great why doesn't it have a direct air link to EDINBURGH then??? Or (wait for this) GLASGOW????

    Only kidding. I know MOST places don't...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take on my native California... you've got to have some good material for us! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Macy: Well I'm pretty sure it's working on it. I mean isn't everyone? Isn't that the most important thing on everyone's mind anywhere? It should be...

    Eman: HA! That would take all day. But I will do it. I like a challenge. Even from a state full of hippies. *duck*

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHA. Nice try getting us to think "North Dakota" was a "state."

    You're silly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, North Dakota is a state OF MIND! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you need to go down to West Virginia and spend some time with the mountain rednecks... then report your findings. I'm sure it will be an entertaining trip... enlightening to. You'll never look at a toilet, running water, dentistry, and mobile homes the same ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If someone has to try to convince people that this alleged "North Dakota" place is great, then it's not that great.

    I'm curious to see what you could possibly write about Delaware. That state is pointless. Sorry, Delaware.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delaware is totally going to kick your ass, Nicole. You know, if it can muster up the strength, being such a tiny lame-ass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "South Dakota's hat!"
    You are funny! I don't know about most of your readers, but I've spent some time in ND. I never want to go back... It was cold and windy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well it IS cold and windy! But it is pretty nice in summer. If you like open space and lots of fields and no traffic and cows. Allegedly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should get to name state slogans for a job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How about Maine? We've got it all! Lakes, mountains, ocean beaches, lobster, potatoes, blueberries.....Need I go on?

    ReplyDelete
  15. People actually live there?

    I thought it was just a wasteland of snow & ice.

    Oh wait, that's Canada.

    Still, North Dakota is basically Canada's dingleberry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You must go read this:
    http://www.nd.gov/category.htm?id=75

    North Dakota has an "Official Portal" for the state government, an according to the fancy-pants horse graphic in the upper right, it is:

    Legen-wait for it-dary!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If it were me, I'd go with "South Dakota's bitch." But maybe that's not so accurate. I mean, they are on top.
    (God, I need to get out more.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. P: Now that would be a fantastic job! Writing slogans for places. I'd totally do that!

    Eva: Hmmm that is a lot yes. But don't think for a minute I can't find some more INTERESTING facts about it. On my list.

    Ed: Twelve or so, yes. But they're all really NICE people. Except the crazy ones. Dude, never go to Fargo...

    Skypop: Hmmm it seems to be missing a nickname. I'm sure I could come up with a few. :) "Official portal" is pretty impressive though. Portal to another state maybe? As for legendary...well. I'm sure it has some legends. Like the one about it being a portal for instance. :)

    Robin: Hahaha, sassypants! There's no comeback to that really, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Ed: "North Dakota: Canada's Dingleberry" should have been the 2010 Olympic Slogan.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Skypop: North Dakota had the Olympics and didn't tell anyone? WTF? :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. TV philistines is a funny term. Glad to see you're still at it. I've been hermited away for quite some time...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lord of Madness: Ooops, sorry dude, totally missed you there, quit being so stealth! :) WV you say. I see a doozy of an entry about THAT. Ha yes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hunter: Haha yeah, I tend to think all TV watchers are philistines, including me! I was wondering how you were doing? Writing hard, I expect. Certainly not haiku-ing, which is a shame...

    ReplyDelete
  24. North Dakota as a hat is pretty bleh. I mean, a square hat? Who wear those? That's right. Russians. And what are Russians into? that's right. Communism. So using some easy extrapoliation...

    North Dakota is communist.

    I KNEW IT. Never will I trust Chuck Klosterman again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whoa, poor North Dakota, labelled a communist and a Russian all in one breath! It's shaped like a big furry hat because it's COLD IN ND. No? I'm sure any communists would be shot on sight by those church goers anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now I'm picturing the senior class of ND High School sitting diligently and decoupaging their bibles.

    ReplyDelete
  27. "He robbed from the rich
    And he gave to the poor
    Stood up to the man
    And gave him what for
    Our love for him now
    Ain't hard to explain
    The hero of Canton
    The man they call Jayne."
    'Firefly' was so under-rated.(Is it sad that I didn't have to look that up?)

    Personally I want you to do Montana. Those fuckers wont read my blog. Every other state but those freaks. Hell even someone from Mongolia sits in his yurt surrounded by yaks and reads on a regular basis, but not those smug Montanans and all their precious wide open spaces. (humph)

    ReplyDelete
  28. good thing i went on to collage (i also do a fierce word cloud btw) cuz church-going was never gonna happen. unless you count the time i went in to steal a couple of those cool red glass votive holders. whaat? that stand had like 50 of them and i had none.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Elly: I laughed out loud at that. Decoupage is an underappreciated artform. :)

    Rusty: Hahaha, damn you. I'll be singing that thing all night. Too bad about Montana as I was there a few months back and would've logged in just for you if I'd known. :)

    Patty: Perfectly fair I'd say. Greedy effers having FIFTY of them. Pfft :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your levels of perfection come scarily close to those of Mary Poppins and we all know she is an icon, right? I think I will just use you for all Wikipedia crappola from now on. If I'd have realised just how smart you are I'd have started stalking you way back.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Is this going to be like the Surfjan Stevens project? He said he was going to write an album about every state in the USA and he recorded two (Illinois and er, somewhere else) and gave up?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think the author's error was simply forgetting a dash and maybe a period. That is, his sentence probably should have read "[ND is] a state that has a high percentage of - it's high school graduates. Go on to collage”
    I assume he was about to make a point about a high percentage of something, but then saw a group of adolescents about to arrange a bunch of images together and exclaimed, "It is high school students. Go on to collage!"

    ReplyDelete
  33. It *is* one of the 16% of states which have a cardinal direction associated with the state name. In my book, that's pretty special, and not the short bus kind of special, the kind of special that you'd drink 'Riunite' on.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I thought that was the sneaky bad Dakota. The ones who come down and eat all your pets.

    ReplyDelete
  35. SD&BS: It's not the first time me and Mary Poppins have been compared you know. And not JUST because I fly through the air with an umbrella a lot! My giant intellect is all encompassing, yes, I'm glad you finally noticed.

    TNMA: Hmmm. Probably, yes! Three states in I'll be all "Fuck this!" But I am going to try. One a week. I'm sure it'll be fascinating and full of really TRUE facts. Yes...

    Johnson: Yes, I'm sure that's what it was. Because that way it....STILL MAKES NO SENSE. :) Although I'm sure they're a very encouraging state when it comes to the paper arts. ND - Home of the Collage Olympics. Maybe they'll graduate to Origami?

    Eric: Tex, you are full of unimagined intelligent facts that render me speechless. And actually I did not know that ND has a cardinal direction - I just always thought that was something certain birds did in winter. Namely cardinals. (huh?)

    Beck: They do that too. But they like to keep that under wraps for legal reasons. Otherwise South Dakota and Iowa get pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I guess the next target(sorry destination) should be Florida Why?In the words of a certain Hommer J Simpson "Its America's wang". Besides thats the only bit us Brits are interested in...Yay long live the Rodent!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Haha Florida. So many things to say, so little time. You can bet your ass Florida will be featured. It's a state filled with infirm old people, giant mice and ducks and serial killers. There I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My grandparents lived there, so for years I visited them in Lidgerwood. There were 9 local teenagers and they would split into different cars, load each car up with cheap beer, and "cruise" past... each other. Was that in the website? (Awesomeness.)

    p.s. Remember when you were such a bitch and took that jerk-off provisioner's side over mine? Mmmhmm. Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hahahaha, you crack me up. I'm still laughing at the jerk-off provisioner. My poor little bitter Sky Muffin. I bet you like being called Sky Muffins don't you, you flight attendant people?

    As for the teenagers thing, that was hilarious because In ND that would indeed be a PARTAAAAAY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I don't even know what you're talking about with your "sky muffins," weirdo. But it literally made me laugh so loud that I then had to read this entire exchange to Isaac. And then HE took your side. What the hell is wrong with you people?!?

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's my lovely, respectful term for you ladies of the sky (which sounds uncannily like "ladies of the night" when you think about it - what services DO YOU guys provide up there, hmmm?) Because you know how you all wear little mini dresses and cute hats and go-go boots and smile alluringly while serving gentlemen Scotch? Or did I just travel back to 1964 there for a second?

    No I'm not bitter about that one time I sweetly asked a Sky Muffin for a Coke and got a tiny thimble of a brown liquid. Pfft.

    Your husband has really good taste and is smart.

    ReplyDelete
  42. are we suppose to be proud of our home states? Our last governor made a joke of our state. We have a terrorist Asian fish swimming in our river. Our big city is well connected with the White House. - go ahead and guess.
    Thanks for stopping by A Few Clowns Short and sharing a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I think there's a pride you're supposed to have, yes. You're supposed to be all defensive if someone talks smack about your state, even if secretly you think it sucks. But terrorist Asian fish sounds like a qualification to me of a kickass state! I mean, who doesn't want some insane monster they can claim as their own? :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. North Dakota! Home of Lawrence Welk!

    No, wait. Maybe that was South Dakota. Either way, last one out of the state, don't forget to turn off the lights!

    Minnesota Rocks!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hope you are correct, it's North Dakota. Wow, someone famous came from ND, who knew? :) Minnesota does indeed rock.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I never considered ND for travel and to be honest, I'm still not sold. I'd be different if the Native Americans were still hunting buffaloes but we all know what happened there.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Well dude, it's sort of an acquired taste, like Root Beer. If you can learn to love extreme cold, loneliness and livestock, you can love North Dakota. :) Wait, I see what you mean...

    ReplyDelete
  48. Just like the old song tells us,
    “North Dakota,
    So good they named it once”.
    Would you like me to sing to you?

    All the best to you from Crooning Boonie

    ReplyDelete
  49. Yes Boonie. That famous old song, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. My knowledge of US geography is pretty appalling. I knew there were 50 states, and such, but not much more than that.

    See, that's why I like hanging out here, I learn something.

    ReplyDelete
  51. South Carolina is clearly superior. After all, *I* know how to spell college.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Roses: Yes, the things you will learn here will blow your mind. I can't get over the fact your name is my favourite chocolates...

    Ms. OWO: South Carolina: North Carolina's pants. Haha. I've been to SC you know. OK I've driven through it on my way to Florida. Don't you have South of the Border there? Or is that NC? Either way it's scary looking. But you do have Charleston which is purty. Hmmm a SC entry one day for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  53. since massachusetts is a commonwealth, i don't mind that you've named north dakota the greatest STATE of all time.

    so you should add the most amazing commonwealth EVA to your list!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I see what you did there, Masshole. It won't work. Your day is coming. Commonwealth or no.

    ReplyDelete

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...