Those of you who don’t want to bake a cake and who came here looking for a real entry, you'll find it below this one or if you're really lazy you can just click this sentence. Fly like the wind my friends!
Hey my little charmers! I’ve had numerous – yes really, numerous – emails and comments and things from people saying “post your chocolate cake recipe, or die motherfucker!” (or at least words to that effect), so I decided I better comply so I can live a few more weeks at least. Just for you guys (the rest of you can go play outside till we’re done). I hope your waistlines enjoy it very much because it’s not exactly slimming.
Veg’s Stupdendously Moist, Uber Decadent, Super Simple and Resolution Busting Chocolate Cake
Note: I roll imperial but I will convert to metric as well to keep everyone happy. How nice am I?
8oz. of Self Rising Flour (225g) If you must use All purpose flour use a teaspoon and a half of BP and a teaspoon and a half of Baking SODA also. SR is the best though if you can get it.
12.5oz. regular granulated sugar (350g) Caster would work too but hey I am never that posh
3oz. cocoa (85g)
2 large eggs
9oz. of 1% or skim milk (250ml)
4.5oz. canola oil (125ml) I imagine other oils would work too but Canola is my favourite I think
9oz. boiling water (250ml)
*I have to admit for the dry ingredients I do ounces and for the wet I use MLs. This is because I'm schizo.
Method: Throw everything except the flour and boiling water into a bowl. It works no matter what order you throw the stuff in even if you forget and put the flour in first – it is just harder to mix that way. No need to beat the eggs in advance or anything. Just throw it all in. Mix the shit out of it with a whisk. If you’re posh and have an electric mixer, knock yourself out but I mix by hand. It should be sort of sticky and thick and gloopy. That’s ok. In fact that’s perfect. Then add the boiling water and mix some more till it’s thinner. Don’t worry if it seems too thin – it isn’t. Add the flour gradually and mix that baby up till it’s good and battery and the flour is absorbed. It might still be fairly thin but no worries, it works just fine, I assure you. Once this is mixed do the following:
1) Get two round 8 inch or approx. cake tins
2) Line with wax paper and grease on top of the wax paper with margarine (this is important as this stuff is sticky later)
3) Divide mixture between the two tins
4) Put the tins into a preheated oven at 350 degrees F/180 degrees C/if you’re cooking with gas it’s Mark 4 (I looked it up, I swear)
5) Bake for 30 minutes. This may vary by oven (if you use gas you might want to check after 25 to be safe) but 30 minutes was perfect for me with my old ass, seventies looking electric oven.
6) Lick out the bowl of chocolately goodness – it’s a shame to waste it, right?
7) Lick the whisk/spoon too
8) Laugh at all the mixture you got on your hands/face/floor/countertops
9) When 30 minutes is up, pull those suckers out and leave the cakes in the tin on the counter for maybe five minutes or so
10) Using the edges of the wax paper ease the cake halves out of the tins and rest them on a plate/rack/other surface that isn’t a dog or child, to cool
11) After maybe 20 minutes, gently lift the cake halves and rest them top down on the palm of your hand to peel off wax paper. It should come off easily. Wait till cakes are half cooled to do this or you’ll end up with cake stuck to your hands. Replace cakes on surface to finish cooling. If they’re more than half cooled I usually stick ‘em in the fridge to finish.
12) When cool fill with your favourite filling be it fresh whipped cream or a delicious buttercream as follows
.
Chocolate Buttercream: Put a metric buttload of butter or a decent margarine spread in a bowl. The amount is up to you. If you don’t make enough you can add or make more. You can use low fat versions but they’ll be thinner. I use an olive oil based spread and it works just fine. Add a trainload of powdered icing sugar and blend thoroughly with a fork. Sprinkle in a little cocoa to taste and blend again. Add a little milk if you need to thin it out. Spread on one half of cake, top with other half. Sprinkle some virgin icing sugar on top of cake. Eat the fuck out of cake and moan ecstatically. (you can leave out the cocoa for a plain butter cream if you prefer)
Note: This thing should stay good and moist for a good three days in the fridge in a plastic container.
I believe even a chimp could make this. You guys have no excuse. If you make it, let me know how you make out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's the What What
So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...
-
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 - the wee small hours of insomnia Religion. It's all around us. And it's killing us in record num...
-
You know what? Swearing's a fine tool to have in your arsenal, and Lord knows it's my favourite power tool of all - even better tha...
-
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 – achey breaky knee, Tonka Bean chocolate is good, digging plaid Hi! Yes you! Remember me? I sometimes post n...
I am salivating here! Yum!
ReplyDeleteHonestly, it's so good. And rich and moist. And easy. And dense. And yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :)
ReplyDeleteI hate you now. I just walked five miles around and around and around the freaking park after a pitiful lunch of Boca and broccoli in a sad attempt to shake off the 15 pounds I put on last year, and now you're tempting me with cake?! You mean, mean bitch.
ReplyDeleteDid I sit you down and make you eat the cake? No. Did I make you READ the recipe even? No. I am innocent. I rest my case. :)
ReplyDeleteOkay, I know you didn't insist, but I will bake a chocolate cake tonight. And I will eat it all.
ReplyDeleteYour cake recipe sounds delicious! Very kind of you to provide both imperial and metric measurements. I could never work out those metrics when living abroad as I'm all about using cups and table/teaspoons to measure. Call me a great baker but a f*cktard all the same ; )
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to try this!!
http://rantersbox.blogspot.com/
ag. Please do. There's a prize if you can eat it all in one sitting. Even one slice knocks me out, it's so rich and chocolatey but please do try!
ReplyDeleteEmpress: Me too. I grew up in a metric environment yet when I bake only ounces really make sense to me. Go figure. :) Do try it, it's so easy and so tasty.
Oh my! That sounds so darn good! I'm copying the recipe and maybe I'll make it for my wife's b'day on Wednesday! YUM!
ReplyDeletePat, if you want a fail safe cake recipe this might be it. I've made it numerous times and with slight variations and it ALWAYS works out great. If I can do it, you certainly can! Let me know how it goes if you do it.
ReplyDeleteThis. looks. so. good. *drool*
ReplyDeleteHave you ever tried it with espresso powder?
Or cinnamon?!?!
ReplyDeleteYou know, I have not, but that sounds DEEEELICIOUS! However, bear in mind even with regular cocoa, this one is really REALLY chocolatey. So it might not even be necessary. But I am now dying to try that, thank you SO MUCH! :)
ReplyDeleteCinnamon? See now you're being fancy. I bet that would be interesting. Me, however, I am not a big cinnamon fan in general unless it's combined with ginger in a ginger cake or something. But it would be interesting. I nominate YOU to try that and let us know how it works. :)
ReplyDeleteUgh if I wasn't trying to be all healthy and low-carb as part of my crap ass New Year's resolution, I'd be all over this recipe. It sounds divine!
ReplyDeleteFourth Grade Nothing
I hear you, Ally. I'm trying to be all "I want some carrots to snack on!" and "water is just the best drink ever!" but sometimes cake is necessary to just keep your spirit alive, or something. :) Good for you though, resisting. Send me some will power please.
ReplyDeletehaha.
ReplyDeleteYou said 'moist.'
Seriously. It's all I gleaned out of this whole thing.
You men. I bet if it was called "Vagina Cake" you'd have baked two already and be planning a third. I don't even want to know what you'd be doing with those...
ReplyDeleteI suck balls at baking but I might give this a shot one weekend. Or you make it and I'll come over for a slice.
ReplyDeleteHaha, you'd have a bit of a hike! I assure you it's the easiest cake you could make so I say make the thing. Immediately! :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't made a cake in soooo long, I haven't even thought about making a cake. Should be easier than making cookies, which involves making multiples of something.....in your recipe you just make 2 big cookies...what could be easier?? BUT, not now, not with this body, not at this moment. There's always later....
ReplyDeleteI am totally making this next time I have even the slightest excuse. Have you ever tried using hot coffee instead of boiling water? I think I should try it right now.
ReplyDeleteElenka: You too can send me some of that will power you have there. Make me eat an apple, go on! :)
ReplyDeleteAlli: I have not tried that but OH MY GOD you know I am now going to. Oh yes indeed. This may be heaven awaiting. In which case I will kiss you. You've been warned.
Skimmed milk! Aha! See you've given us the low calorie version! Bless!
ReplyDeleteYes :) It totally cancelled out the oil and all that butter and sugar. HONEST!
ReplyDeleteI love baking but seen as i'm on a perminant health kick i don't do it so often anymore (Baking = eating = pounds), but even i may try this cake! I strongly believe that all that is wrong with the world could be solved with a cake of one sort or another.
ReplyDeleteNooo! You lick the whisk? There are two *large* raw eggs in that so you have an extremely small possibility of contracting mild intestinal distress / salmonella!
ReplyDeleteI think I want a caesar salad for lunch.
Cake sounds good, I might just give that one a try tonight.
Yeah, I'm sure THIS chocolate cake won't give me heartburn or the shits. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteOh, my. A chocolate cake you can roll into dense balls. Mmmm.
ReplyDeleteHave been on the Adkins for three weeks now, but you have my solemn word that when I cheat on this diet (and said cheating is already on the calendar for Friday, February 11th) that it will be with this cake.
This, I vow.
Pearl
If I baked, I would totally be baking this bitch right now.
ReplyDeleteI don't.
I don't even have kitchen scales (cake tins? what are they).
But that sounds totally delish.
Yumm....
Miss Tee: You're a good girl! But should you feel the urge one day to be BAD, it's there. You know?
ReplyDeleteEric: Thanks, bringer of good news! I have survived so far however. Phew! :)
Beck: Chocolate cake gives you the shits? What the hell? What's wrong with you woman?
Pearl: Haha, yes it's not diet friendly. ANY diet. Well unless you're on the chocolate cake diet of course, in which case, you're golden. Happy Feb. 11th though.
Roses: You philistine. You're so cute. :)
I am still sitting here staring woefully at my measuring cup trying to find metric boatload.
ReplyDeleteDude, you obviously don't have the ultimate metric measuring system called the Vegomatic Measuring Scale. It features "buttload", "shitload", "fuckload", "almost fuck-all" and "imperial assload". Get one at Walmart today!
ReplyDeleteCan't you just bake it for me and bring it over? I mean, do I have to do everything around here?!
ReplyDeleteI don't even feel special anymore!
ReplyDeleteWendy: Certainly your Majesty. I'll be right there. :)
ReplyDeleteFreeF: Well you ARE the only one I emailed it to... As you were the first and all. Aw. You were my first, Free Falling!
Such a sad day for people who don't like chocolate cake (like me). This just sounds Deeeeeeelish!
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain! I actually am not a big supporter of chocolate cake myself - usually I'd choose something less chocolatey and more lemony or vanilla, but when the mood does arise? PERFECTION!
ReplyDeleteLook at you, doing a cooking post.
ReplyDeleteLike a regular Martha Fucking Stewart.
Yeah, Martha's always "mixing the shit" out of things. I can see the comparison. :)
ReplyDeleteI made this cake today and oooooohhhhhhhhhhh Lord!!!!! It cracked a lot and looked pretty fugly, but it tasted awesome. So moist and rich! The coffee was a nice touch! Filled it with tart cherry preserves and topped with ganache. Family swooned.
ReplyDeleteAlli: That sounds FANTASTIC! I'm all about chocolate and cherry together, so I'm totally going to do it this way. And definitely try the coffee. I'm glad you enjoyed.
ReplyDeleteI don't care if there's a risk of getting some intestine disease. I'm going to lick the whisk every.single.time.
ReplyDeleteFuck yes. Me too. Who could resist that? If you can resist cake batter on a spoon, you might be a serial killer. Agreed?
ReplyDelete