So with a heavy heart I forced myself into some clothes that ARE fit to be seen in the outside world – because normally if I’m home, I’m content to laze around in holey (not holy!) leggings and a giant sweater and no make up and the only reason I don’t spend all day in my actual pyjamas is that the postman might come and bring me a present and me opening the door in my sleepwear might give HIM a present in the form of a coronary from the terror. No one should have to see that.
There are hearts on my pyjamas. That coupled with my crazy hair sends the postal workers over the edge of sanity. Let’s face facts - they usually don’t have far to go.
However, just as I was sitting here thinking (mostly about the colour green but also some other things – I’d tell you about those too but if you saw a list of the random thoughts in my head at any one moment you’d never come back) I suddenly, out of the blue, hear a lady’s voice loudly say the words “tent poles”. Just a disembodied voice. And there was no one in the room but me.
And I thought, “…the fuck?”
And then I thought, “Did I say that?”
You might laugh, but last year, when I was in Fargo, I was having a nap one Saturday afternoon and I was scared awake by someone yelling the word “PIGEONS!” in a really distressed tone. My heart was beating like a snare drum. Until I realized that it was me. I’D yelled it! And I’d yelled it so loud I’d managed to wake myself up. Then I was anxious because, what the hell else do I yell in my sleep? Swear words? That I enjoy looking at men’s packages in ballet tights?
Anyway, I thought maybe the “tent poles” thing was me again, in some sort of waking trance, but it turned out there was a woman outside the window talking to some other unseen entity and she’d said it. Random bitch! So for the hell of it, I loudly yelled back, “MOCCASINS!” quickly followed by, “SWIFFER WET JET!”
She didn’t even smile. But then she probably laughs at “Two and A Half Men”.
I dozed off on a plane once and dreamt about school. There was some attendant anxiety I can't remember but I realized once I looked around at the amused nearby passengers staring at me that I'd said "Present!" out loud. Wherever I was, I was there. Apparently. I stared rigidly at the Sky Mall until we landed and disappeared into the terminal as quickly as my stumpy legs could carry me.
ReplyDeleteBahaha! Isn't that the worst? Like sometimes when you jerk really violently in your sleep, or make a loud indescribably yelp? :) On a plane though. Hahahaha! Yikes.
ReplyDeleteShe could have thought you were speaking in tongues and sent a priest round to see you?
ReplyDeleteCouple that with your normal attire, and we might have not been seeing you for quite some time.
Can you say Hallelujah?
Ha yep, that might be doing humankind a favour. Or depriving them of some prime entertainment.
ReplyDeleteI have on occasion blurted out a random word while awake and had no idea why I said it. Ssssh. I think the men in white coats are searching for me!
ReplyDeleteEva, I'll send them out east when they're done with me, ok?
ReplyDeleteit's called Tourette's Syndrome...lol!
ReplyDeleteHaha, maybe I start yelling swear words it will be!
ReplyDeleteI groan in my sleep and I am not even dreaming.
ReplyDeleteAnd I laugh at Two and a half Men
wait. so you do or do not think 2.5 men is funny? you are confusing. in other news, haven't you seen that movie, i believe it's something like "birds" and it's about birds? THAT'S who dreams about pigeons. have you ever seen them in large groups plotting dastardly plots? scary. dream? no. nightmare!
ReplyDeleteVodka: Maybe that's what you're groaning about in your sleep. :)
ReplyDeleteMLB: I DO NOT THINK IT IS FUNNY. Shame on you. :) I believe also pigeons might be plotting to take over the world. Scary, dastardly pigeons.
If she laughs at "Two and a Half Men," she needs to be beaten with a tent pole.
ReplyDeleteOK that made me LOL and LMAO at the same time. I actually own that Crazy Cat Lady non-active figure! I got it a couple years ago as a gag gift and it's still in its package (for maximum collector value).
ReplyDeleteGuess what you're getting for Christmas? ;)
Beck: I could not agree more. :)
ReplyDeleteKat: Haha, I have seen them before and laughed my ass off. That's the kind of gift I like, incidentally. Instant amusement value.
I was yelling curse words in my sleep the other night. My money is on work dreams as the culprit...
ReplyDeleteWork is probably the reason swear words exist in the first place. :)
ReplyDeleteDo they make holy leggings?? I gotta get me some of those! It might make up for all the blasphemous filth I've spouted off on my blog.
ReplyDeleteWhy are you all looking at me like that? It's *possible*!
No dude, I was thinking that if they make those you're not the only one needing a few pairs. :) We can keep them in business!
ReplyDeleteYou wash your leggings in Holey water? Sorry to hear about your narcotourettes condition, but it is kind of amusing.
ReplyDeleteAt least it's not like what Steven Wright has, you know that feeling like your suddenly falling? He's like that all the time.
That was some funny shit. Potato. See I can do it too. I have been known to do some weird shit in my sleep. Talk on the phone and in person, let someone in the house, make a sandwich (true story), and attempt to have sex. I must be guarded.
ReplyDeleteEric: Why does that not surprise me incredibly?
ReplyDeleteMepsipax: Mmmm Pepsi Max! Sorry...
No actually, you must be VIDEO TAPED! :)
You have such exciting conversations with people. My day consists entirely of talking in numbers. Would you like to swap?
ReplyDeleteMadame, numbers and I are not friends. Except long multiplication. I like long multiplication!
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting thing I've ever done in my sleep was locking myself out of the house while sleepwalking. At 2am in the middle of winter. That was not fun.
ReplyDeleteI'd rather dream about pigeons.
Oh man, Inky. :) At least I don't sleepwalk. I mean can you imagine that mayhem? Tie yourself to the bed for God's sake.
ReplyDeleteYou're kinda retarded.
ReplyDeleteDid you know moose do not like when you use exfoliating cream to grease the rocket for a night of loving?
Yeah it's true.
I woke myself up once punching a wall and breaking my hand. And another time I woke myself up out of a drunken blackout when my head hit the horn of the car. Boy how did I get to Moncton?
I read your blog for the first time today...I must now go give myself a vinegar enema and scrub my eyes with steel wool.
Yeah, I bet that was a HUGE freaking surprise, right? Unlike the other stuff you mentioned. Ha!
ReplyDeleteI love that you were thinking about the color green.
ReplyDeleteMy boyfriend once told me I asked him if "the polar bears were OK", in my sleep. Who knows....
I think the Diet Pepsi is causing you Night Terrors.
ReplyDeleteGoogle it.
Either that, or you need a Priest for one of them Exorcisms.
I know women who blurt out strange men's names, but it only happens when we are having sex! haha!
ReplyDeleteI apparently woke up in the middle of the night once, sat bolt upright and said, "It was evil, from the word go," before promptly collapsing back onto the bed and into deepest slumber.
ReplyDeleteAnd I think I might have had a dream about pigeons once. Well, it was about Trafalgar Square in London, and if you're Trafalgar Square-based dream scenario is going to have any sort of relationship to reality, it's got to have a pigeon-human ratio of at least 20:1.
Lovely post, by the way.
Jules: I admire that. I admire a girl who saves the animals even in her sleep!
ReplyDeleteEd: Maybe. But it'll take more than that to make me quit. Oh yes.
Otin: Ha ha. And GROAN. :)
Richard: Hahaha I laughed out loud. Could you at least remember WHAT was evil from the word go? I need to know. True story, I once spent an afternoon in Trafalgar Square with no pigeon mishaps and that same night I was in Victoria Station waiting for a friend and a bird SHAT ON MY HEAD. Indoors!
I have absolutely no recollection whatsoever of waking up that night! So what "it" was, will be a mystery forever...
ReplyDeleteIn my experience, the pigeons in Trafalgar Square behave as though they've been smoking waccy baccy all day, while those in Victoria Station all seem to have bowel problems. Or perhaps they just don't like trains. I can only apologise for my compatriots, even though they are of a somewhat different species.
BAAHAHAHA! I know what you mean. Right now I'm wearing a red hoodie (with the hood up), light blue capri work out pants, grippie socks they gave me in the hospital when I had my tonsills out, no makeup, and my hair is tied up in a messy knot on top of my head. I'm not answering the door for ANYBODY.
ReplyDeleteThat humorless bitch!
ReplyDeleteThank God you got your Diet Pepsi, I'd rather the world didn't end today! Maybe Monday, so I don't have to go to work.
I don’t think I’ve ever spoken out loud as I woke, but I’ve certainly woken up thinking someone was calling my name – only to find no one was there.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, thanks for the e-card: it was very sweet of you. Lovely portrait, and no one who loves Gary Busey could fail to be charmed by it.
When I told my Texan friends that I was going to take a shot at living in Idaho they all freaked out and warned me that not only does it get *really* cold, it also *gasp* SNOWS!! Um, yes, I gently reminded them, it also snows in ENGLAND. Yesterday it was cold in Boise with clear skies and much lovely sunshine. It was equally cold and SNOWED in Houston!!!!!!
ReplyDeletep.s., I just donated my Crazy Cat Lady action set to Goodwill.
p.p.s., Two and a Half Men is one of my secret guilty pleasures. I don't know that it's necessarily 'funny', but when all you can afford is network telly, it passes the time.
Richard: Well those Trafalgar pigeons probably get all sorts of exotic feeding from the tourists. The Station birds probably eat kebabs. Or something equally pleasant. :)
ReplyDeleteSoda: I know! The world does not need its troubled quadrupled by having me uncaffeinated.
Cora: Haha, vanity prevents you from scaring door knocking individuals. I usually quite relish it, but I have limits. Sure they're not HIGH, but they're there.
Simon: That was Jesus calling your name. You probably left the oven on or something.
DJ: Yes cold we can do. I thought Scottish cold was cold (it is) and New York cold was cold (it is also) but Canadian cold is a whole other cold. It's like cold on steroids.
Shit. I'm wearing pjs. I need to go out and buy leggings and a sweater.
ReplyDeleteThanks for that tip.
As someone who is now covered in snow due to Coke Zero pangs, I totally feel you.
ReplyDeleteMy pajamas have Santa on them, which makes them snow acceptable. Problem is, I wear them in April.
Damn all of you non-Americans and your adorable spelling of "pyjamas." Something about it is so cute. I just want to have a great big pyjama cuddle fest.
What? That's not creepy at all!
Hey, I was just thinking about green myself! I believe I should medicate myself more :)
ReplyDeleteToo much Pepsi for you young lady - I think you need to cut down, or stop falling asleep in public!
ReplyDeleteBtw, the 1st outfit you described could be suitable for Walmart shopping - why change?
ReplyDeleteI laugh @ 2.5 men, but also thought you screaming out moccasins and swiffer wet jet was pretty damn funny. Maybe she didn't hear you.
However, WTH would you need tent poles for if it is snowing where you are?
LMFAO!!! We must have been thinking the same Friday :)
ReplyDeleteI finally threw in the towel today and went to starbucks braless and in my slippers. I did have on jammie pants and a sweatshirt so "technically" i wasn't in my jammies anymore. :) (Thank god for them there is a drive thru! LOL)
And omg, the tent poles thing is hilarious!!
Holy shitballs, that closing line made me shoot tea out my nose--hilarious! Two and a Half Men can suck it. I used to startle myself with random words being shouted out of my mouth as well. Like temporary turrets moments. Wtf? Are we twinsies?
ReplyDeleteTourette's much?
ReplyDeleteI have complete conversations in my sleep and will often wake up, having just uttered some strange sentence like, "I don't have any train shoes because she fell in the dryer."
ReplyDeleteI've always been terrified during overnighters with men folk that I'll reveal some crazy secret... because ask me in my sleep and I'll definitely tell you.
Pigeons. Hilarious.
Jules: You're welcome to come to me for all your fashion advice. Really!
ReplyDeleteHannah: PYJAMAS! Even my US spellchecker is saying that's correct, although Blogger doesn't like it ONE BIT. I like how it sounds like it should be little tiny cute clothing for pygmies...
Suze: Creme de Menthe is green! I expect that's what you were thinking about. Or a giant margarita. Actually, that was me thinking about giant margaritas.
Eternally D: Cut down? CUT DOWN? Them's fightin' words, lady! You would not like to see me on D. Pepsi withdrawal. Oh no...
Ms. B: This is true, I have seen some frightening sights at WalMart. I'm pretty sure you could run through WalMart in a garbage liner wearing your mum's bra on your head in WalMart and no one'd bat an eyelid.
Cass: I think if you don't get out of the CAR you should be allowed to be naked if you want. Because TECHNICALLY you're not going OUT. Right? Right!
Buffster: I only seem to have occasional sleep Tourette's not every day kind. When I'm awake I can usually control myself and my mad urges. Usually...
Moooooog: BOLLOCKS!
OWO: Hahaha, awesome. It would be sort of fun if you blurted out random shortcomings about the man you were sharing the bed with at the time. :) Or not.
Am I crazy or does the Crazy Cat Lady action figure kind of look like Dog the Bounty Hunter? A little bit, right?
ReplyDeleteWell fuck me, YES SHE DOES! That is alarming! She needs to shrink six inches, wear stinky black leather and carry a gun and a crucifix then IT'S HIM!
ReplyDeleteI hate that dude. I really really dislike him intensely. When was that hairstyle EVER in fashion? He probably has get togethers with 1990s Michael Bolton and Fabio where they touch each other's hair and cry.
I'm actually very good at interpreting dreams.
ReplyDelete*blink*
But yours are a little bit tricky. I think the combination of tent poles and pigeons is God's way of telling you to broaden your music taste.
Does that make sense?
Hi Guv! I mean Vegetable Assassin. Missed you!
ReplyDeleteSincerely
Patrick
The Former Idea of Progress
i love that you yell random things to random people when you're home alone.
ReplyDeletePigeons, eh?
ReplyDeleteI dont talk in my sleep, but when tired have a habit of pitching mid-way into a conversation of something Ive been thinking, i.e
ME - "Carol said HE was the butcher, she only ran the postoffice, actually".
BF - "WTF??"
Loved the ecard, you darlin! :)
*happy shivers* Diet Pepsi...
ReplyDeleteFountain Diet Pepsi with the perfect amount of ice - is there anything better in the whole wide world?!? Whiskers on kittens? Nope! Brown paper bags? Not even close. Warm woolen mittens?? Okay, maybe that one.
Mo: Noted. I bow down to your superior knowledge. I think.
ReplyDeleteHey Former Mr. Progress! I'm happy you're still there or back and reincarnated or whatever.
Claire: Just home alone? :)
Judearoo: Haha I love those half conversations because you're the only one who doesn't know how absurd it is and you get all indignant when someone else goes "What the HELL are you on about?" when you're like, "HELLO? Are you STUPID?" You = me.
Cheeks: YES! FOUNTAIN DIET PEPSI! The best. Actually fountain sodas are the best all round. So long as they're fresh, fizzy and full of ice. Which is how I like my men. (Huh?)
Lol. When I was ten I once played charades in my sleep while sleeping on my aunt's boat. Apparently I was pretending to be a shooting star and crash-landed on her in the middle of the night.
ReplyDeleteJean: Well that happens. I mean who doesn't pretend to be a shooting star once in a while? Who, I ask you?
ReplyDeleteYou might be crazy, Jean. I'm happy about that! Hi! :)