Monday, December 21, 2009

Proof You Can Post About Nothing

So while all you people out east have been frowning under a big, fat blanket of white wintery snow (and all you L.A. dwellers are crying for your mamas and calling out FEMA because the temperature got all badass and fell under 60 degrees F. for a while there), out here we’ve had merely a tiny light dusting of the white powdery stuff. For your information, that's snow, not cocaine, but thanks for thinking it, degenerates. It was sort of like a spritzing of fairy dust, which is surprising and pleasing all at once, if a little unusual.

Actually all of us badass northern United States along with the central Canadian provinces (from herein known as “La Resistance”) just got together covertly, in a special underground, secret bunker and decided to reroute all our normal snow to you guys out east and paid a formidable dude called “Johnny Knuckles” who isn’t listed in the phone book, to go deliver it in the dead of night. We had to pay him in the limbs of kittens and small children, so it's a serious matter. 

Talking of small children, this photo never fails to bring me joy. Also this kid looks like a 10 year old Hunter.


So surprise east coasters! Happy Holidays! You can thank us later. Viva la resistance!

The past few days weren’t even cold up here. It was about 26 degrees F which is practically summer. I was even able to go walking my errands the other day without dying. Usually, going out this time of year constitutes standing nervously at the outside door gathering my wits about me, before sprinting to the car like a demented hyena, then sitting inside shaking and feeling my innards freeze and chanting nasty words till the engine heats up.

Then driving off with the engine still plugged in (oops!)

But not lately. It’s been all calm and delightful and I’ve been wistfully waiting for palm trees to spring up in the yard.

I mean true, during my errands walk I almost froze off my ears in a miscalculation involving me completely forgetting about a little thing called “wind chill” and concluding with me buying a startlingly unattractive, yet cozy, emergency hat, complete with furry ear flaps, in order to make it home without frostbite. If you can imagine a five foot six, red cheeked, sweary lumberjack with boobs, tromping through a pitifully tiny amount of snow in the evening darkness, saying things like, “holy mother of fuck, I have gravely underestimated the situation!” then that would be me.

I’m also somewhat amazed that Christmas is happening this week. I mean this week, people. How did that happen? It just sort of snuck up on us. I mean I know it happens every December and I probably shouldn’t be all that surprised, but yet, I am.

I like Christmas! The food, the drinks, the pretty lights, my welfare Christmas tree from the Dollar Store, the bottle of Pimms currently sitting on the kitchen table, me making a trifle, not doing anything except eating, sleeping and watching bad TV. Perfect. It should be Christmas every month. I mean I realize I’m about as religious as a grapefruit, but I still like the whole good cheer element of the holidays. The magic. Santa Claus and cheesy music. Chestnuts roasting on an open fire and all that nonsense. Plus I love that law that states you must eat chocolate all day on Christmas or you get arrested.

What? You don't know that law? Take it from me, it's serious. And I am nothing if not a good law abiding citizen.

Did you just call me sappy? Don’t call me sappy.

...just me then.

58 comments:

  1. We don't know the meaning of cold compared to what you guys get.

    Take tonight for example. We have had an hour’s worth of snow, probably about an inch on the ground. The whole fecken country has ground to a halt. Trains, roads, jetpacks, all unusable because of a light dusting.

    I bet you guys would be laughing your happy sacks off at us now.

    Oh, VA. You are very funny. Just thought I would fling that in there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lumberjack with boobs?

    That description makes my wood hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, thanks for mentioning Pimms.

    Now I need some.

    Oh and it's a positively balmy -2C here. I'm going to sunbathe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's mighty cool here. Hey I did a search on 'sweary lumberjack with boobs' and no links were returned. In retrospect, I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tee hee back at you.

    Hunter doesn't look like a horse and he may be offended.

    Also, just for the record, Pimms is a summer drink, and all grapefruit are muslims

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I live in L.A...well the next county south of it anyway and it has to be bad. When it sprinkles all the news breaks in with STORMWATCH! LOL

    You are correct, that is DEFINITLY a 10 year old Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan: Yes, no one appreciates cold till you get that day each winter where it's suddenly -40 and you're not sure which part will freeze first. So when people get all in an uproar over 10 degrees F. I laugh. :)

    Who knew jetpacks were so temperamental, though? I do love the UK's delight in closing down the entire country when there's an inch of snow. No one would go anywhere ever here if that happened.

    Ed: Hahaha. Even i have no comeback for that.

    Rich: I just had one. I'll say I had it in your honour. How about that?

    Eric: I guess there ARE things to be thankful for this Christmas then.:)

    UberG: HAHAHA. Sorry. That took me a minute. And yes, Pimms is a summer drink but as there's no LAW ON THE BOTTLE SAYS YOU CAN'T HAVE IT AT CHRISTMAS, well...bite me.

    P.S. You too, dude.

    Mad Cat: Haha, stormwatch LA. It's cute! I have visions of Hollywood being deserted in the rain because what stars want to make their perfectly designer haircuts all frizzy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ed needs to remember that lumberjacks usually use a chainsaw on wood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like a shit now for daring to complain that it rained in Seattle on Saturday. Sorry. My thoroughly obnoxious bad.

    I can't believe it's Xmas week either. WTF?! How did this even happen? Wasn't it just HALLOWEEN?!?! I don't get it.

    Oh, and that picture slays me too. Hee hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What the hell is Pimms?

    Suck it up, it's not that cold!

    I proved that you can post about nothing. I did a post called "Single letter Saturday" where I just posted an "S" and got 41 comments! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a sunny 26 degrees CELSIUS here Ha. Just saying. Christmas in a bikini, my friend. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That kid is TOTALLY Hunter! And I DID know that law...which is why I am constantly sick all day on Christmas from eating chocolate. I think we need to revamp the law to spread it out over the week maybe. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eva: HA! What a great point. He's now undercover in terror. :)

    Cora: Rain in Seattle isn't exactly an abnormal thing now is it? I mean when it doesn't rain, surely that's the thing worth mentioning. :) OH snap, I dissed Seattle and I haven't even been there.

    Otin: Oh you are badass. Wait till it's minus 30 again and then tell me it's not that cold, fucker. :)

    Ellie: Well Merry Christmas to you, miss "look at me on the beach in my bikini as it's so damn hot at Christmas here in the beautiful southern hemisphere" lady. I'm not bitter. Oh no. Not a BIT.

    Well ok, a bit... a big bit.

    Jules: I don't know man. That would mean being sick ALL WEEK because who can limit these things? Not I. We need to think this through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That kid looks both frightened and freakishly handsome. It's like a mad scientist fused together the best parts of Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and that guy with the funny voice (David Beckham) and then scared the living shit out of his dashing creation.

    Or that's what I'm going to tell myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You just do that, man. He's a good looking kid, yes sir! It's amazing he can survive the real world being so handsome and all. :) It wasn't an insult you know, just an observation. If you were ten and scared shitless in a comical manner, he'd be you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha I didn't get any of the snow and I live in upstate New York! Maybe because i'm so close to canada?

    ReplyDelete
  17. No, no. What you're close to dude, is SATAN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously girl, I think I might know this Johnny Knuckles guy. I think I might have accidentally squeezed his lady. He deserves the nickname, incidentally.

    ReplyDelete
  19. fairy dust snow is the best! please send some my way and thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was thinking powdered sugar. Sorry that's my diabetes talking. Too many energy drinks.

    Honestly, I don't understand how people can live anywhere else but California. Although I have to admit, seeing a little snow would complete this holiday feeling.

    Random thought: The one thing I absolutely hate about cold weather is having a cold nose. And wet socks if it's raining.

    ReplyDelete
  21. T: This comes as no surprise to me, honestly!

    Sarah: You can have ALL of it. I will pack that stuff up and get it to you ASAP. :)

    P: Wet socks are the worst. Cold and wet and yukky. Wet cold feet make me shudder just thinking about it.

    Hmmm though. Powdered sugar...

    ReplyDelete
  22. -6C is almost summer? Fuck. Canada in Winter sounds like my version of hell. Seriously ... Christmas in CT = beach, barbeque and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is it bad that we're already clocking up the recorded programs to watch while eating and drinking ourselves silly?

    ReplyDelete
  24. WE GOT SNOW!! WE GOT SNOW!

    Terribly excited as this is the land of wintery disappointment and am usually turning VEG-worthy shades of green hearing our neighbours over in the land of the queen whining about traffic and the fact that london is ankle deep in white stuff.

    Am one big smug bobble hat of delight.

    Merry Christmas to you ma dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lumberjacks with boobs are called 'lesbians.'

    Just a little FYI there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. But amidst all the cold and frostbites, its almost impossible to imagine Christmas not being cold.
    And I'm totally with you on the part about standing nervously at the door and contemplating if going out is worth all that pain :P
    And ooh la la- the law about chocolate, they ought to teach us that in law school!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We had snow in London. I have fallen in it twice and someone beheaded my snowman :(

    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love earflap hats. Always reminds me of Cousin Eddie from Christmas Vacation. "SHITTERS FULL!"

    Great picture and definitely Hunter-like.

    Hope your Christmas is merry and bright and full of alcoholic drinks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sid: Oh you shut up, woman with your Christmas at the beach. Hee, at first I read your comment as "Christmas in Connecticut" and I was all confused...

    Mo: No Sir! It be sensible. One doesn't want to run out of viewing pleasure while sitting on one's arse, eating, now does one?

    Jude: Well it's so sweet to see someone EXCITED about snow. Isn't that cute! Your enthusiasm is lovely. Me, I hate snow. I hate it with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. But I like bobble hats. Merry Christmas Ireland.

    Moooooog: Goddamn it! I knew you'd turn my hat into vaginas. That didn't come out right at all.

    Aphrodite: I say you start a new trend and get it on the syllabus ASAP. It's an unwritten law but it's there nonetheless. Don't think of disobeying.

    Kate: Beheaded your snowman, dude? There better be an asbo in place for that fucker. What sort of heartless drunk beheads snowmen? Did he leave a list of demands or something?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Miss OWO: Thank you miss One and the same to you. And earflap hat are the tits. Everyone might laugh at you but who'll be laughing when all their ears freeze off huh? Me! And possibly you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Poor frightened boy...and wearing a University of Georgia shirt I noted which is my Hub's alma mater. I thought UGA fans were tough..

    Pimms. Oh lord. We thought Pimms would be a great drink of choice to get wasted on once in high school. Nothing is as heinous and wretched as a Pimms induced hangover.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Haha well you know, Pimms IS made from gin and gin hangovers are headcrushers. Depression inducers. Still, I never managed a Pimms hangover. I think I can trick my brain into believing that sweet tasting, delicious, summery drink is not alcoholic at all. If I get a hangover now I will blame you for making it take notice.

    ReplyDelete
  33. We've had some (rare) snow...and it's a "chilly" -1 C! Definitely "brass monkey" weather...wish it had frozen the goolies off the carol singer/thug who flashed his bits when I refused to get my wallet out last night....

    ReplyDelete
  34. One time I drove all the way to the University from my house (like a 20 minute drive) with the extension cord still attached to the front of my car. Not one of my best moments...

    ReplyDelete
  35. So glad I'm down south with no snow and 55 degrees today. That will not however deter me from imbibing in a few cocktails in a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I thought you were supposed to eat various meats all day on Christmas. I guess I've been doing it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  37. "Lumberjack with boobs" is probably the coolest description ever. And that photo made me snort. I love that on Christmas the only thing that we really MUST do is eat and drink. I wish I could be a Pro Chistmaser...er. Happy Ho Ho Ho Veggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. “holy mother of fuck, I have gravely underestimated the situation!”

    Seriously? You'd risk a frostbitten tongue to utter that in -40 weather? Not buying it, VA. Nuh-uh. But I will give you style points. It's what James Bond would have said while swilling a martini if James Bond movies were R-rated.

    ReplyDelete
  39. *sigh* I so wish I could go home this year rather than being stranded in BFID ... but in a fit of nostalgia I bought a bottle of cream sherry with which to toast my far-away family. When I was a kid we were permitted a tiny shot of sherry at Xmess ... we like to get our alcoholism started early in my family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. You'd be so proud of me, I'm having a decidedly British holiday. Someone explained the joy of Christmas Crackers to me this year, and when learning I could waltz about on the day in not only my PJs but my PJs and a paper hat (!) I nearly died of the joy. So I went to the expat shop and bought myself some. And some selection boxes and Polo mints. Because yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. DJ: Dude...that's sad. I haven't been home for Christmas in a while either if it's any consolation. In my family we'd beg for my dad's cider and get a tiny glass of that. YUM. I still love cider to this day. Sherry, not so much. :)

    Jen: Oh I am so proud of you. Although I should probably warn you that crackers aren't all they're cracked (HAHA!) up to be. I mean the little gifts are normally lame and the hats are so big they end up as necklaces, but it still wouldn't be a real UK Christmas without them. Selection boxes, however, are a necessity for a Brit Christmas. You can't not have them. My whole childhood was filled with selection boxes (I always liked the Mars ones as they had Milky Ways in them - the UK Milky Ways that is, not the US version which is a Mars Bar). But any Cadbury one is awesome!!!

    Polo mints however, remind me of exams. Everyone had those suckers on their desk during exams. Ick! I'm not a minty person really. I'd rather have fruit polos. Or Lifesavers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. It's sunny and hoovering a couple of degrees above zero here in the BC interior and for the last few days I have been watching the national weather just to laugh.
    It's an evil laugh but those fuckers can SUCK IT this year!
    Viva Le Resistance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. well i am just sweating my ass off. how i envy you canadians, americans, anyone north of the equator. a white christmas? one day....one. day.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Kim: Maybe we're in for a lovely balmy winter. Or....not. :) But I'll take any warmer days we can get. We only got to -9C today which is still on the warmer side.

    P: I'll trade you sweating for freezing any day. White Christmas is nice but the day after, you're definitely over it. Ready for spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Instead of an earflap hat, I would like these Hello Kitty earmuffs.

    What's that you say, they're for children? Well... shut up.

    Also, I may have to move to Canada now that I know about the chocolate law.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh you little cutie you.
    Actually dude, the chocolate law's a British thing but I aim to make it worldwide for the good of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  47. The first time I went to London, I was a senior in high school and the teacher I went with said that he needed to buy his weight in Polo mints or his wife wouldn't let him back home. We students, obviously, were mad curious, so we all went out and bought some the first day we were there. I like 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. "Crying" for my mama? Pfft. Puhlease. I'd hardly call it crying. More of a whimper, anyway she could barely hear me as the thumb in my mouth was muffling everything.

    I love that donkey pic. I have a similar one from a road trip, only it's stealing my Luna Bar.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I guess I'm a law breaker - not a chocolate fan. But, can I replace Baileys with chocolate and not be breaking the law?

    ReplyDelete
  50. Jenna: I still say polo mints are nasty. But that means you can have them all, right?

    Steamy: It's nice to see you made it out of the bomb shelter to comment, missy. It must have taken quite some courage what with that killer rain you've got and all. :)

    Ms. B: I am a take it or leave it chocolate person myself, but on Christmas I will TAKE IT and take it GOOD. Particularly if Cadbury's chocolate buttons are involved. As for Baileys, it's a chocolate liqueur so knock yourself out. Not literally... Unless you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Now that picture just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Screw this cold crap. I'm heading for the heat.

    Thanks for the guffaw

    ReplyDelete
  53. Ho Ho Ho!! Merry Christmas!! From me and my buddy Otin!

    ReplyDelete
  54. hah i wouuld love california "cold". at least i don't have snow here tho.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Suze: That's because you're a mean, mean woman. No wonder we get along. I usually remember to sign MY cards though. You know, when I actually send them.

    Mrs. Blogalot: Great name missus! And I'm coming with you. Heat all the way. Yes please.

    Santa: Hey Santa! Did you get my swag yet? You rule. Tell Otin hey. Tell him "enjoy the snow!"

    Foreta: I think you should get a big, flat rate box from the post office, package up California's climate and send it up here. In return I will send you extreme cold and snow. Or at least I will when it gets cold again. It's 10pm right now and only -4 which is "pussy cold". Maybe you west coasters should start with that...

    ReplyDelete
  56. Awesome photo.

    Why do people live in cold places? Let's all move to Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Happy Summer! And Happy Summer's Eve douche! And holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...