Monday, December 28, 2009

Bad Losers (On Yahoo Chess)

Hola Blogola!

Well I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas (those of you who celebrate it anyway) and that you’re recovering now without too much trauma of the over-stuffed belly variety.   Were you all good girls and boys?  Did Santa bring you your heart’s desire or did he frown and bring you a “Twilight” DVD and make you cry?  Then you need to behave better this year, loser.  Or he’ll bring you the sequels.

I did no entertaining, no visiting, nothing at all except be lazy and devour chocolate like it was about to be illegal, then wash it down with some delicious Pimms and Advocaat  (not at the same time, I’m not a Philistine).

I know Advocaat is considered a really old person’s drink by many people, but I like it.  It is delicious and creamy and outstandingly tasty and despite what people might tell you, nothing like eggnog at all (I dislike eggnog) and especially ravishing when combined with Sprite and lime juice thus making it a cocktail known as a “Snowball”. 

You people over in the UK know all about Snowballs, i.e., you all know the undeniable allure of the Snowball, even if you refuse to admit it.  In fact, ladies now and then will go to a bar and sweetly ask the bartender to mix them one and it’s perfectly acceptable, but a man could never actually order a Snowball in a bar for himself unless he wanted the bartender to possibly * tase his bollocks then confiscate his man card.

* I mean here that the bartender would tase the guy's bollocks, not his OWN bollocks because what would be the point in that, it's painful and stupid and he'd drop the liquor.

If a guy’s going to buy himself a Snowball in a pub he might as well order it while wearing  a t-shirt featuring a decal of a unicorn knitting a pink sweater and teabagging George Michael. 

Despite this, if you’ve never had Advocaat you must rush out and get some immediately.  Otherwise remain a savage Plebian forever, your choice.  No pressure.

What was I saying?  Oh yes, Christmas.  I did not even leave the house apart from ten minutes on Christmas Day when I had to go buy some Sprite during a snowstorm (it was that or drink alcohol neat and I’m too much of a classy lady to do such a thing – or at least to tell you about it), meaning I had to walk through knee deep, unploughed snow in boots with no tread which made me look like I was possibly born with Rickets. 

Despite my “do nothing at all” mantra, I did manage to finish the following panting. I haven’t decided what I think of it yet, however, I’m impressed with myself for the fact it’s neither blue nor green, therefore victory is obviously mine.

Anyway, I just noticed that this entry blows, therefore, I am going to slink away and do something mischievous elsewhere. Maybe SOUTH Dakota.
 
Be good.

P.S. There’s a prize to the first person who can tell me what album I was listening to all over Christmas – there’s a clue in this entry somewhere.

P.P.S.  The prize is my adoration and a big, fat nothing.  You’re welcome.

51 comments:

  1. The soundtrack of Twilight??!!
    Gotta be something by the lovely George Michael then. Love your painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you muchly! Although I might have to take it back after that "Twilight" comment. :) Absolutely NOTHING to do with "Twilight". Or George Michael. Sorry George.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah man, Snowballs, up there with Babycham's in my opinion. Foul, evil drinks.

    Liked the painting buddy, has a touch of the psychedelic about it.

    And I have absolutely no idea what album you were listening too, so sadly you will have to keep your adoration to yourself at the mo.

    Glad you had a good Xmas though bud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Psssshhhhh, you men and your Snowball hating. How can you put a Snowball in the same category as BABYCHAM???? Now THAT is the devil's drink. If the Devil were a Jersey Girl/Essex Girl circa 1988. I ask you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand what this has to do with yahoo chess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Rickets... or Sam Sham & The Pharaohs. Not quite sure.

    The only Snowball I heard of is not that sweet. Crazy veggieheads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very, very little, Mr. C. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheeks: I dread to think about THAT snowball, missy. As for the album, no and no. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were listening to some yahoo named George Michael sing about Snowballs while playing chess?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well no...but doesn't that sound delightful? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool painting.

    AS for the music, who knows. I have to much vodka in my veins to figure it out.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol. loving some of these song guesses...i do like the airstream though..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vodka: Started early huh! Happy New Year in advance. You drunk.

    Brian: Me too. Although I suppose it is sort of obscure for most people. The Airstream is much more calm and relaxing. Even with those weird colours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Kinks? Lola? Hola Blogola?

    I don't know. I feel compelled to figure it out though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! Found it. Bad Losers on Yahoo Chess. YESSS!!!

    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boo, I was going to guess "Last Christmas" by George Michael, but then you said it wasn't him.

    I like how being a girl allows me to order "can you make me something pink, with vodka in it?" and not get punched in the face like a man would.

    ReplyDelete
  17. also, what does advocaat taste like? I hope it's not avocadoes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coldplay or Crossfade?

    And I quite like Advocaat. Never had a snowball, though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i MUST try the old lady liquer! it sounds simply divine. i'm serious. want it! stat! i wish i hadn't left the house. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  20. air supply?? don't know what snowball is, but that car sure looks like a drunk with a black eye and has 3 teeth...heehee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Steamy: HA! I bet you googled it though, steamster.

    Soda: Exactly. All sorts of lame pretty cocktails can be ours with no ridicule. Awesome! Advocaat tastes like alcoholic ice cream (almost). Served with Sprite/7UP = OUT OF THIS WORLD.

    Rich: It's delicious. And just add the lemonade/sprite and you have a Snowball pretty much. Yum.

    Becky: Do it. Get some. Do it now. Then put a half inch in the bottom of a straight glass and top up with 7UP. FANTASTIC!

    Sarah: Hahaha, I can actually see what you mean. Thanks for that. Now I'm always going to see that drunk!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hence your tiny short response. :)

    It's a song ON the album. But yes, close.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, d'uh!

    Didn't think to look at the title of the post.

    Half Man Half Biscuit.

    I can imagine you listening to them. I had difficulty imagining you listening to Coldplay/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm a big Half Man Half Biscuit fan but Coldplay not so much. A couple of songs maybe. HMHB though are awesome. I doubt they'd appeal to many Americans unless they're up on their Brit culture or really, really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've barely listened to HMHB for years. Not sure why, actually.

    I try to avoid Coldplay wherever possible. I've always thought they were whingy and whiny and rather feeble.

    I always associate HMHB with Ned's Atomic Dustbin (again, not really sure why), whom I love.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ned's Atomic Dustbin is a name I haven't thought about in years! Aren't they from Birmingham or thereabouts? It all just reminds me of lurking in my bedroom listening to John Peel instead of doing homework. :) HMHB are better now in my opinion than they were back in the day even. Still clever and funny lyrics, but poppier melodies.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey veggie, I'm not sure if you allow this word on your blog so ill censor it, but have you ever heard of the band "Anal C*nt"?

    Their music sucks, but their albums have the most outrageous song titles ever.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hahaha, um no I have not heard of them. :) But they sound CHARMING! Shy and retiring. Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chocolate is always about to become illegal. Fact of life.

    Can I buy Avocaat it the U.S.?

    ReplyDelete
  30. The only place I was able to find it in NYC was at Astor Wines on Astor Place. I'm sure you can get it many other places but it's not common and I'd looked around a LOT for it. They had Bols Advocaat (another decent brand) and it's fairly cheap too! Try it woman!

    Maybe B'lyn and Queens have places you can buy it I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dudley, I think. The place with such a fun accent that even Brummies make fun of them!

    Listening to John Peel, that takes me back! He was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bahaha! Dudley reminds me of Lenny Henry. And yes, that accent is NOT PRETTY. Hilarious yes, pretty no.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Glad you were able to avoid the booze and chocolate this year........err.......scratch that. Well, nice trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Come on Ed, I'm pretty sure it's not allowed to be called a holiday if you don't have chocolate and booze! Tsk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'd listen to any band with the word biscuit in their name. I like biscuits. And booze.

    Glad you're back, Veg Ass. Happy New Year...in three days. Ish. Sort of. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well I shall now that I have your esteemed stamp of approval. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. That shirt you described really should exist in reality. It's okay if it's an artist's rendering instead of an actual photo...

    ReplyDelete
  38. I learn so much from you. I'd never heard of Advocaat before I came here. I also learned about Irn Bru from you. Happy New Year, and keep educating the public!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Steamy stole my answer....

    ReplyDelete
  40. Glad you finished your "panting". I mean painting. I think I will plan to join your for x-mas next year.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Chocolate and Soda, what else is there? Hey nice 'gestalt' on that painting there. I'm going to use the word 'gestalt' in conversation at least three times today. I haven't decided if I'll use air quotes whilst saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Advocaat!! Yes! Perhaps The Snowball will grace the pages of HHH?? :) I just went to the gym for the first time in a week and I'm pretty sure I was sweating a medley of red wine, champagne, vodka and beer. Oh wait, and then there was the night after Christmas when we had tequila. Sweet Jesus, I need a detox center.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hunter: And you know I JUST MIGHT so be careful what you wish for sonny.:)

    CDP: I know, I am just so educational, I don't know why I'm not on everyone's curriculum. I mean the vast drinks knowledge in my brain needs to be shared, right?

    Jules: That thieving little minx.

    Magda: I think you might still be drunk from Christmas. Bring it.

    Eric: Gestalt eh? There's a word I haven't thought about in...well EVER. I suppose it IS rather fitting of my paintings since my form is quite puzzl...I mean excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Buffster: Au contraire ma cherie! It proves you did it right. You pounded it out. You did it old school. You partied like it was 1999. Well done. :)

    Snowballs are just delish. Not really unusual enough for your cocktails though I'd have thought but really everyone should know about them and so maybe I will do it. In the name of promotion of the sweet eggy elixir of life. :) Tastes better than Cum n' Go I'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh I think snowballs would be perf for HHH cuz Advocaat is kind of rare (at least in these here parts). It's hard not to think of cum-n-go when the word "snowball" is used though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Yet another benefit to womanhood - the ability to order delicious albeit p*ssy drinks with no remorse or embarassment. I enjoy being a girl.

    Now. The painting - with those colors it speaks of the desert to me and reminds me of a place I once stayed just outside of Palm Springs - or is it dessert? Either way I'm hungry.
    Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Well now, if it conjures up images of desert and dessert then I approve of it suddenly. :) The desert is just beautiful. You have wonderful taste miss Lady. Well I knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love that painting AND Ned's Atomic Dustbin. It reminds me of Arches National Park in Utah (the painting, not Ned's Atomic Dustbin.)

    I have never heard of Advocaat, and I am an accomplished drinker. However, you make it sound kind of like a Brandy Alexander, so I approach it trepidatiously.

    ReplyDelete
  49. i want that painting. i have the rickets most days, so i deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Words: Yes, I doubt Ned's ever reminded anyone of anything so scenic. :) I don't know what a brandy Alexander tastes like so I'm ignoring that because Advocaat is just phenomenal.

    Claire: That's the weirdest reasoning I've come across lately, so well done. Screw you though, hippy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...