Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Announcement: I have Unfriended The Cold

There’s nothing quite like that moment when you wake up one morning and realize it’s finally winter and that you’ve been living in denial for the past two weeks, during that slow descent from “bracing” to “chilly” to “Fuck me, this is surely illegal!”

Today, when I dragged my reluctant arse (followed by the equally reluctant rest of me) out of bed, it was still practically dark and my mind wasn’t talking to me at all, since it had just been rudely dragged out from beneath the warm, tropical bliss of Blanket Bay and into the cold, evil, almost light of a northern winter's day. Well the cold, evil light of the computer room anyway. Let's not get carried away...

I pulled on a sweater over my pyjamas and dutifully checked the weather. If you live in a cold climate, checking the weather in the morning is like breathing. If you intend risking your life by leaving the house, even if it’s just to sit and shiver in your frigid car for ten minutes before you can drive anywhere, you had better know just how much swearing you’re going to be doing in advance, in order to prepare.

In fact, instead of giving the temperature in degrees you might as well give it in sweaters. “Today is a seventeen sweater day, enjoy!” then you can mumble incoherent, inappropriate insults to the weatherman about exactly where he can stick his *cheery forecasts, as you’re waddling out to the parking lot, arms at a 90 degree angle to your body, due to your Michelin Man-like proportions from the 23 different layers you’re wearing.

*Another great idea for weather forecasting would be to give the degree of cold in ‘celebrities’. Like say, for example, a ‘Morgan Freeman day’ would be a mildly chilly day, nothing to worry about, no winter woollies necessary, almost pleasant in fact, while, at the other end of the scale, a ‘Robin Williams day’ would mean, “If you leave the house you will freeze to death in seconds like Jack Nicholson in ‘The Shining’ it is even possible there will be a new Ice Age.”


So this morning my iPod gleefully informed me it was minus twenty-three point eight degrees F. The “F” stands for “Fuck me, I am not going out in that.” So yes, if you’re complaining that it’s 30 degrees Fahrenheit or something in your neck of the woods and BRRRRRRR it’s cold, just you shut the fuck up, please.

I went out at lunchtime to get some fixings for dinner tonight and a Diet Pepsi, (let’s get real here, it’s cold, it’s not a goddamn Apocalypse or anything) and it had warmed up considerably to a balmy -4F (–21C), so I got out my bikini and my sun tan lotion and lay out in the parking lot, bathing in the rays and drinking a pina colada.

Actually, I called winter a “giant goatbanger” and ran like I was being chased by Andy Dick at a cocaine party, across the road to the store, before I got frostbite in my extremities.

I decided after that, that if I miraculously won the lottery, the first thing I’d do would be build myself a little house right on the Equator and screw this winter business.

OK, technically it’d be the third thing I’d do after I bought all the Diet Pepsi on Earth and banned P. Diddy from ever hoisting his nastiness on the public ever again.

Priorities people, priorities!

43 comments:

  1. It's 1.6 C here in Dallas right now. I think I'll go home and jump in the pool, maybe the spa will do like a 6 meter column of steam?

    Check out the Texan using all the metrics up there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrr!

    I used to live in a flat in N London where you had to pee on the ice in the loo in the morning to melt it.

    And that was in June

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really gets that cold where humans live? Are you in an igloo made of giant Diet Pepsi ice cubes?

    It was a frigid low of 69 degrees Fahrenheit here today. And a high of around 80.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love reading your posts! It's 38F and raining here in southern Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ewww that's too cold. I used to live in Calgary and it would be so cold my car would scream as I let it heat up for like 20 minutes, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do like your style!

    So if it was going to be hot, the weather would be Shakira, and if it was going to be cold, it would be Oprah, and if the weather was going to be mixed up and crazy, then it would be a George Bush day! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tex: 1.6 degrees? That's practically freezing, why would you swim in that you idiot? Steam though, now you're talking!

    UberG: haha. Having lived in the UK I understand. Really, I do.

    Hunter: Oh this is just the beginning. There was a minus 50 last winter one morning. Even I was like, "DAMN!"

    Eva: Practically summer! :)

    Miss C: Oh god, yes that is the worst thing, waiting for your poor car to do its funky thang. Even plugging it in doesn't help at all.

    Otin: EXACTLY! :) GB day would be the absolute worst.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We haven't had the bone-chilling cold yet in N. Michigan, but I know it's just a matter of time. We do have more snow than normal for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i got the best laugh at the bikini in the parking lot part. thanks! by the way, move to california! we are in 41F degrees today and it's "unusually cold" for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not the size of your goatbanger, it's how you use it.

    Man, that sounds filthy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear ya girl. I literally get furious if the temp drops below 40. I seriously think I have a deficiency in keeping myself warm because cold weather HURTS me and under about 40, even with 17 sweaters on, I'm cold. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Until about three months ago, I lived in California. I happily lived there for years, basking in the 30 degrees Celcius in January. It made me happy. It truly did.

    Then I moved to Indiana.

    I realise that I didn't know the true meaning of "cold" until today.

    I never want to leave the house again.

    Never.

    Ever.

    Ever.

    I'm ordering pizza until the thaw. (They deliver diet Pepsi, too, you know)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would shot myself in the face before I moved somewhere that cold.

    Then, if I survived, I would move somewhere warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can never figure out why you don't fly south for the winter.

    Then again, why don't I?! I'm trying not to use my heater too much so I have money for the necessities, like food and toilet paper and Hallmark christmas ornaments, so here I am shivering at my computer in my coat, scarf and hat. Sad. Just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Damn, that's cold. I hope you do win the lottery. I could use a new bathing suit this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not sure if I admire your fortitude or if I just shake my head at the sheer lunacy of living in a place where the temperature frequently drops below freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It hasn't gotten that cold here yet, but I'm bracing myself, it's inevitable.

    I haven't been able to figure out why a bunch of old bungholes (probably French animal trappers in funny fur hats) decided that Michigan (and parts even further north) was a proper climate for settling down and creating a city. This is a really stupid place to live in winter.

    It could be worse I suppose - at least it's not Detroit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Suddenly I'm feeling a whole lot better out the high of 14F today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SG: Usually more snow than usual means a warmer winter, no? I made that up to cheer you up. We've had less snow than usual which I hoped meant it would forget to be winter at all but hey, they don't call this Winterpeg for nothing you know?

    Sarah: Bah! 41F sounds like summer right now. That's take off your pants weather!

    Kurt: My goatbanger is mythical. Legendary. Fearsome. Yes.

    Jules: Yes, I'm a feel every bit of cold type myself. Once you hit the minus 40 region you just sort of go "Well can it really feel worse than minus 30?" And you know what? Yes. Yes it can.

    Richard: Sigh. My friend grew up in Tucson and used to regale me with tales of 80 degree winters and drinks on the patio. Bitch.

    Ed: What, and miss all the FUN? Miss placing bets on if you'd make it across to the store before your lips fell off? Pah.

    Cora: This is why it's good to make sure your rent includes utilities like mine then you can turn the heat up as high as you want all winter. Of course if you own your house, oops. Sorry. :)

    Suze: I'll make you a deal. If I win the lottery BIG, that swim suit is yours. And the deal is you have to model it on your blog.

    CDP: Last year after November I never saw a temperature as steamy as "freezing" until about April!

    Lady: I know. I don't get it either. I mean sure the summers in the north are lovely, but they're short and inevitably it's suddenly winter and you're left there going "What. The. Fuck."

    Haha Detroit. Cold is the least of its worries. Sorry Detroit.

    Jean: Sniff. And that's still pretty cold too! I'd take it though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "giant goatbanger" was my nickname in college... that takes me back!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Becks: I wouldn't even be surprised! Freak. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can an airstream withstand those icelandic temperatures? Or a surprise nunavit harpoon attack?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mr. C: I suppose it really all depends on the heater and insulation situation. Personally, once I get that baby I'm staying well south where it never freezes and I can drink margaritas all day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL! I found this highly amusing. It never snows in Cape Town. It never drops below freezing. Hell it doesn't even drop below 10 degrees C. Winter in CT = 15 degrees C. You should come visit us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hon it's fair too early and far too cold for me to handle all this Celsius/Fahrenheit arithmetic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I realize it's not freeze-your-pee-in-midstream cold, but it went down to 30F here last night. That's "LA cold".

    ReplyDelete
  27. Today is brass balls cold. I'm wearing long underwear to school. AND thinking of buying a snuggie to keep at my desk.

    Good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  28. IT'S ***BRACING*** OUT!

    Nipply! UNBANG! UUURrrrrrrfhhh!!

    (Now I'm just throwing out random words with exclamations.)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I didn't read back...did anyone say a tit bit nippley? Yes? No? I win?

    It's going to be 20F here tonight. I'm going to freeze to death in my sleep.

    Don't hit me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sid: Stop that making me jealous thing IMMEDIATELY! 15 degrees C indeed.

    Mo: It's always too early dude. Always.

    Words: Oh POOR Los Angeles. I suppose if you're used to SoCal weather that IS pretty frigid. Still, see this tiny violin? :)

    Jules: Yes, get those thermals on. And take the Snuggie. I mean we know you're nuts but there's nothing like confirming it to the world.

    God: Pahaha! It's ok, I speak God.

    Miss OWO: Only you, man. You absolutely win. I'm not sure what exactly. Crash helmet maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Coincidentally, 'giant goatbanger' was my nickname in college.

    I have very low standards.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I need to start working on a way to make my cat into a sweater. Seriously, there are only SO many inventive swear words I can utter in -50C weather, I've started inventing things.

    Who the fuck invented winter? And why does it have to be so LONG and dark AND cold?? And why am I required to even LEAVE my house when its less than -30C...

    And why have I lived here all my life?

    I hate Saskatchewan... I wanna live somewhere where snow doesn't occur.

    ReplyDelete
  33. My god you are so fucking funny I peed. Just a little. Like just the tip.
    Actually, I called winter a “giant goatbanger”and ran like I was being chased by Andy Dick at a cocaine party, across the road to the store before I got frostbite in my extremities.

    That was some good rant.
    Also, it is 29 F right now and I am cold like a motherfucker. I would die like the weak sauce that my thin blood is.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's official. I'm never moving anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I feel almost humbled. We've been having "record low" temperatures here for the past week -- in the teens (F, not C) rather than in the 30s (F). I gloated last week when it was 40F both here and in Houston and it was sunny in Boise and snowing in Houston (they get one day of "snow" per year) but now I am hellbent on getting back to Houston in the early Spring. Although Boise is the prick-tease of weather because right now it's 10F, snow on the ground, with clear blue sunny skies.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hee, you poor thing! But you love it really. I hate the cold, I could never live somewhere where it snows.

    Also guess what? Cora says Tim Tams are taste-identical to Penguins. So you know the joy that is Tim Tams.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'd like to nominate Anne Heche for the wacky weather designate 'cuz that bitch is whack.

    Yeah, the "Ki-Ki" bird is alive and well here, too. As in Ki-ki-ki-Christ, it's cold! Although in the pissing contest between how cold it is here as compared to where you are, you win. I might even say it's cold enough in your neck of the woods to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

    But hey, that's what they make Thinsulate and fleece for, no?

    ReplyDelete
  38. The cold got all defensive about my unfriending. All "we had so many memories. Don't you remember building snowmen? You detagged all the pictures. That's just cold, Hannah. Real cold."

    And I was all "Don't make me block you. The snow turns black in New York City. So I'm just freezing in ugliness. You're the one that's cold."

    ReplyDelete
  39. "It gonna rain!" is my favorite Black-u-weather forecast ever.

    And cold weather makes me MAD.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I don't know how you even survive in those temps! Madness! And I totally love the celebrity temp scale. In LA right now it's Kathryn Heigl cold, i.e. VERY cold for LA and it shoulda stayed on TV where I could avoid it instead of being in movies and forcing me to see it on billboards everywhere. Did that analogy make sense? Maybe I'm just fed up with her.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Moooooog: Yes. There was a very good reason for that too.

    Pam: I think I'm going to have to start inventing swear words also. I'm running out of quality ones and that just won't do. Ah lovely Sask. Lovely in summer. :)

    Mepsi: That's what Depends were invented for, man. Don't feel bad. Or if that's too senior for you maybe find some Always Ultra thins. Or a little padded willie warmer.

    29 degrees F? YAWWWWWWWWWN! :)

    Red: Let's face it, you're in San Diego. If it drops below 65F you all get in your bomb shelters.

    DJ: Today it was five degrees C in Glasgow and minus twenty five C here. A few weeks back the two were IDENTICAL. WTF?

    Soda: I KNEW IT! I knew those things looked like fat Penguins Thanks Cora! I like Penguins. They're old school.

    Dame: Agreed. She is loonytunes. Bah to fleece. I hate fleece. It makes you all sweaty and clammy and weird. Or that might just be me.

    Hannah: Well the cold is a touchy BITCH. Don't feel bad. It's needy. It'll be all passive aggressive for a few days to make you feel bad then it'll be all in your face again.

    Wendy: Haha, or "THEY LOOK LIKE ANTS!" And of course it makes you mad, you can't wear pretty dainty little cute Wendy B type attire in that nonsense.

    Buffstaaah: By only exposing your eyeballs that's how. And OMG YES to the Katherine Heigl thing. Woman's pretty as sin but a grade A bitchskin. She's colder than Betty Draper's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wait... did you delete my comment???

    ReplyDelete
  43. Um, no dude. Are you sure you had one on this entry? I haven't deleted a thing!

    ReplyDelete

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...