It’s that time of year again when everyone’s making New Year’s resolutions about eating less and exercising more and improving their lives and cooking at home instead of eating out and not yelling at their kids so much and cleaning more and so on and so forth.
Me, I never make those sort of resolutions. Because a) they’re dumb, and b) I’m a realist. I know that come January 2nd I’ll already have blown several of them – even the one about the kids and I don’t even have kids - and well…there’s no point starting something on the second right? It’s the first or nothing. Starting on the second would be…untidy. Like starting in the middle of a cake and eating your way out.
Which sounds actually sort of awesome…
Having said that I decided this year I might make some resolutions to show willing, but to be sure of success I will choose resolutions that I have at least a fighting chance of keeping so I can attain a level of smugness usually only seen in TV chat show hosts, all year long.
My ten resolutions for 2010.
1) I will not stab anyone in the eye with a fork. I think I can pull this off but truly it all depends on me avoiding as many actual people as possible for as long as possible. Plus bear in mind I said “fork”. All other instruments are fine.
2) I will eat at least one cake a month - I’m pretty sure I can pull this off because I am a very determined cake eater.
3) I will never say a nice thing about the show “Jersey Shore” – Also every time I see that guy “the Situation” I will pledge to yell things at the TV about him being a “self-righteous, orange little girlieboy” and ask rhetorical questions like, “What are you, like 30 and you’re still acting like a 19 year old frat boy?” and “for the love of the baby Jesus, put your shirt back on, loser and find your way back to Earth!” and “What the fuck am I doing watching this shit?”
4) I will consider potato chips as vital as vegetables in quest for a “balanced diet” – I am serious people. I am willing to do this. Can I do it? Well, I have will power of steel. Steel.
5) I will not watch C.S.I. anything, NCIS or Without a Trace – This one is just here in case I suffer a head injury and wake up one day salivating wildly and grasping for the remote while muttering “Mainstream major network cop drama, give…me…now…” To be fair, this has never happened to me ever so chances are good it won’t happen but it doesn’t hurt to be prepared.
6) I will procrastinate a lot – Because you know, that’s totally hard for me. I’d actually procrastinate more but I figure meh, I can do it later.
7) I’ll write a lot of lame blog entries in 2010, most of them about bugs crawling up asses and fart related observations and the intricate nuances of cake, interspersed with substandard Photoshop drawings of me doing dumb things while always wearing the same clothes. I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, “Well let’s not get hasty here, Veg, don’t tax your giant brain with this intellectual stuff!”
8) I will vow to save vast amounts of money for a stated purpose then I will instead squander it to buy paint, condiments and handbags, forgetting I probably would have to earn said money first. I do this every year so I’m pretty sure I can keep this one.
9) I will not become a famous celebrity renowned for my talent and my amazing stories about my travels. That’s right. Don’t try to make me. I will not do that.
10) I will aim to eat a grilled cheese sandwich about three times a week. It’ll be unpleasant people, but I think I can pull it off. In the name of resolutions.
I foresee a successful resolution keeping year ahead for me, what about you?
P.S. If I don't see you before, happy new year you lovely, lovely people! Thank you to you all for stopping by and reading this nonsense and fellating my gigantic balloon-swollen ego throughout 2009.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's the What What
So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...
-
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 - the wee small hours of insomnia Religion. It's all around us. And it's killing us in record num...
-
You know what? Swearing's a fine tool to have in your arsenal, and Lord knows it's my favourite power tool of all - even better tha...
-
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 – achey breaky knee, Tonka Bean chocolate is good, digging plaid Hi! Yes you! Remember me? I sometimes post n...
FIRST!
ReplyDelete*vomits*
I can't believe I just typed that shit.
Anyway, all that talk about "eating out" makes me miss my wife.
Also, #7 resolution is my favorite.
Haha, quit that first business, fucker! :)
ReplyDeleteNumber 7 I'm pretty sure I can keep. I mean it's a shoe in really. I'll TRY REALLY REALLY HARD...
Here's hoping you don't bump into "the Situation" while armed with a fork. Or ever, really.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
Damn. There goes your award for "Amazing Stories about Travels" that was going to make you famous.
ReplyDeleteAND I guess I'll have to buy the Celebrity Judges new gifts and take back 'NCIS Season One'.
Yet part of me is kind of wishing that I do.... and that it's a BIG fork. :)
ReplyDeleteHaha Jules, don't even joke about it. Jeeze...
ReplyDeleteNothing in your list about chocolate??
ReplyDeleteHow can you seriously make resolutions and leave out chocolate?
Oddly Eva, I am not a chocoholic. I'd rather have a pastry or a cake any day. So chocolate's not such a big deal for me. I like it but I can live without it. It's true. Don't faint!
ReplyDeleteHAHAHA! This is the best resolution list EVER. Yesterday I wrote mine for my Monday post, but yours totally just bitch slapped mine. As to be expected though. Dewd, and the procrastination line made me guffaw. Brill Veg, brill.
ReplyDeleteYou're too kind missy. I can only assume it's because it's really early in LA and you haven't woken up properly yet. Yep.... :)
ReplyDeletePosts like this remind why I love this blog. Looking forward to #7.
ReplyDelete"I’ll already have blown several of them – even the one about the kids and I don’t even have kids "
I know precisely what you're talking about there.
Maybe I'll just copy your list because I can be lazy like that. Or I can get my people to work on one for me if your lawyer won't let you relax the copyright.
ReplyDeleteAndrew: I'm good at yelling at kids I think. I think I could pull that off with aplomb! I could possibly have a medal in it. I'm practicing for one day being 70 and yelling "GET OFF OF MY LAWN!"
ReplyDeleteEric: Maybe your new year's resolution can be "be a wiseass more" because I totally think you can pull it off!
ReplyDeleteLet me know if you really plan on sticking with your 'grilled cheese 3 times a week' resolution because I'm TOTALLY buying stock in laxatives if you are.
ReplyDeleteYou're definitely not stabbing anyone in the eye with a fork? When you go to a restaurant, I suggest you sit at the corner table with your back to the wall. Who knows where your enemies lurk.
ReplyDeleteMy New Year's Resolution is to start in the middle of a cake and eat my way out.
ReplyDeleteMaybe one of those giant stripper cakes. They're 100% cake, right?
PS - "Without a Trace" - My husband calls it "Who Gives a Trace".
; )
Anti-Resolutions are always the best kind. I think you're really onto something here. TWSS.
ReplyDeleteMoooooog: HA! Well I've been doing it for years and so far I'm quite regular, thanks for inquiring as to my lower regions' health. It's if I STOP eating them you have to start worrying.
ReplyDeleteGB: This is true. Plus, it erodes temptation when you can't actually see anyone. Well thought out plan Sir.
Soda: I know, I'm actually sort of fond of that eating my way out of a cake idea. That's a challenge I can see the point in.
Kurt: I agree. Maybe they'll even have an opposite effect and I'll wake up craving a carrot and feeling joy toward mankind?
Or maybe not...
You know, I once had a bit part on C.S.I. I'm not kidding. It was a crowd scene in a casino. They wouldn't let me wear my magenta satin stage shirt. My stupendous mustache was evident however.
ReplyDeleteAre you to imply that potato chips are not in fact vegetables?!?!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm trying to avoid people as much as possible too!
Tony: You were trying to bang one of the chicks weren't you? Fess up.
ReplyDeleteJules: Well now you mention it they are OF COURSE. And everyone knows veggies are healthy. Therefore, chips, by default, are healthy. I do enjoy my logic.
FIRST! Wait, WTF? Why am I always last? Gaaahhh...
ReplyDeleteI'm hungry for a grilled potato chip cake now.
Come on man, no one arrives at the party early and stays cool, you know that! :) I am SO in the mood for both cake and chips. I see baking cupcakes in my future later maybe...I'll have one for you, no worries.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you. I, too, shall yell at "the Situation".
ReplyDeleteAnd in a show of solidarity, I won't become famous either.
Pearl
That is so sweet, Pearl. Be sure to find some really awful, hideous words to yell at The Situation though. And video tape it. :)
ReplyDeleteI ate one and a half grilled cheeses THIS MORNING.
ReplyDeleteI so win.
Well now, only because I ran out of BREAD or I'd have had TWO. Just to spite you. :)
ReplyDeleteHowever, if you had American cheese I win anyway because that stuff isn't cheese it's plastic. That is all.
You should specify a diameter for the cake. Eating one in a month cake with a diameter of 3 inches just won't cut it.
ReplyDeleteFrankly, that's a cupcake. I can eat one of those in my sleep.
And frequently do.
At least a good 12 inch one every month. ;)
I resolve to not make any resolutions :)
ReplyDeleteApart from this one obviously...
the comments make up 4 fifths of this page. my scrolling finger tires.
ReplyDeleteand hallelujah to #7!!
dude. genius with a side of scrambled genius muffin. you are a genius. i am actually a little pouty because this is like the best idea ever.
ReplyDeleteCHEERS! to twenty ten... two more years until we all die and go to hell? is that right? well, i probably will. um, what?
Oh my god! At work the other day I was forced to watch the Jersey Shore and I'm pretty sure I yelled at the computer screen those things you said verbatim. "PUT YOUR SHIRT ON" was definitely shouted at least seven times.
ReplyDeleteRich: Agreed. A 3 inch cake is a SNACK. Although cupcakes are delicious. My mum sent me a book on cupcakes recently with about 100 different cupcake recipes in it. OMG. Heaven.
ReplyDeleteSquirrel: There you go. Broken yours already and it's not even 2010 yet.:)
P: Haha, the comments say more than the rest anyway. At least they make some sort of sense!
Becks: You obviously started drinking early but yes, I am a genius, I will agree with you until you sober up then I'll deny ever having said it. And yes, if we're all dying in 2012 we might as well eat cake and drink ourselves into oblivion anyway, right?
Miss C: Hahahaha! I bet half the world is screaming that. I just laugh out loud when every time a girl he doesn't know comes into the room off comes the shirt immediately. It's hilarious. Horrific and hilarious. :)
I read an article about "the Situation" and precisely what he might need is your fork. In the eye and elsewhere.
ReplyDeleteCake a month? When is that party starting and I will be there.
Happy New Year Veggie!
I have a few of these type of resolutions on my Friday post! I see us great minds think alike! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI didn't even do resolutions this year because I'm pretty sure I can't keep to anything. But I think Im now going to steal each of your resolutions bc I'm pretty sure I can handle those!! Happy New Year Veggie! I heart your blog!
ReplyDeleteJenny: Preferably if that fork were heated intensely over an open flame first! :) Happy new year!
ReplyDeleteOtin: I almost dread to think what yours will be.
Carissa: I think you should, particularly the ones about cake eating and procrastination - two of my favourite things. :)
We need to talk about #9. You gotta stop fighting it.
ReplyDeleteAnd I resolve to climb every mountain, follow every stream, and chase every rainbow until I find my dream. Yep. I WILL go to a Sound of Music singalong....
ReplyDeleteHappy New Years Ms Veg!
My NY's resolution will be refraining from screaming I TOLD YOU SO! whenever somebody I know fails at their own resolution.
ReplyDeletePy: Haha, I know. I can't keep pushing fame back going "No fame, I don't want you!" :)
ReplyDeleteMacy: You knock yourself out. Not literally! Just don't mess up "So Long, Farewell" sung with the Cherub. :)
DJ: Awesome! That should actually be one of mine too but I feel it's more fun to resolve to YELLING it. Much more obnoxious that way.
Happy New Year chica! xo
ReplyDelete#8 is of particular interest to me. I once considered it to be a "problem", but not anymore. Now it's a "life goal". Thanks for helping me sort that out.
My New years resolution is to make sure that I fuck up number 9 for you. 2010 is the year that I get you on Perez Hilton come hell of high water.
ReplyDeleteI also made a resolution about upping my wine intake. I think I spend far too much time sober.
You should teach a class on this.. I think I could do these. I'm gonna start small though.. I'll start with #1 and #10. If that goes well this year, I'll do more next year.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year Veggie Ninja! Don't know you that well, but you seem like the kind of gal that can definitely smash the granny out of that list.
ReplyDeleteI hope your 2010 gives you plenty to write about, mainly because you make me laugh and that’s always a good thing.
Kat: That's the thing. I don't really want that one to go away. I like those things. They keep me the balanced, lovely person you see before you. For the record I haven't bought a handbag since May. For real. In fact I only have two bags. My self discipline is amazing.
ReplyDeleteKim: Well thank YOU. If you get Perez and me anywhere together I will kick his whiny pink ass. I think wine is one of life's coping devices while being pleasurable at the same time. It keeps you out of trouble and saves other people from your wrath. So you drink it, woman. Drink it!
Queenie: You know, I'd like that! I could teach all sorts of useful information to people. Stuff they really want to know, not silly things like budgeting or driving safely. How to get through winter without killing someone is much more useful. How to survive a day without a cake. These are things people need to know in order to cope.
Dan: I've never smashed a granny but I'd be willing to try if she was really cantankerous and pulled a rifle on me or something. Huh?
Happy 2010 to you!
My resolution is to go back in time and think of this blog entry idea before you do. Damn!
ReplyDeleteHilarious, as always. And I approve of any cake-related resolutions.
Dude, maybe you could resolve to invent a cake that tastes like heaven and has no calories. You'd be the richest man on Earth. Screw Bill Gates (that's not a suggestion by the way, it's an insult to him). Then when you've invented it, send me a life time supply of it. Thank you.
ReplyDeletePS All that Hollywood big bucks you're obviously making has to be put to good use, right? :)
I like #10. Mmmmm and with muenster cheese. My old roommate made amazing grilled cheese. She would butter and grill both sides of the bread.
ReplyDeleteHappy new year, Veg!!!
PS I laughed at the word "fellating." I think a bunch of momma bloggers have ruined any word that starts with "fella.." for me.
Haha, that made me laugh out loud.
ReplyDeleteMMMM MUENSTER CHEESE! It's also good with Guyere although a touch greasy. I have my grilled cheese the European way though - no butter or oil involved, just bread, cheese and a grill. Oh and they're open sandwiches too. Occasionally I'll have an American style one however. That's where the Gruyere comes in. YUMMY!
If I'm made to watch CSI or NCSI once more, I promise to stab my sister in the eye with a fork.
ReplyDeleteI thought about making unresolutions. Or would it be deresolutions? Either way...
Happy happy new year, lady.
Thank you ma'am! And yes, screw those shows. I aim to break my fork in eye resolution if I'm forced to watch them. I mean that's special circumstances, surely? :)
ReplyDeleteIt is indeed wonderful to see how you've put in so much thought into your New Year resolutions. I'm sure it must have been a very difficult task.
ReplyDeleteFunny read :)
i only dream of being as ambitious as you.
ReplyDelete