I hope your festivities were trouble free and that you woke up yesterday with all your limbs/money/dignity intact. Well, your limbs anyway. I also hope your private regions weren’t violated by a stranger or that dirty Lindsay Lohan.
Me, I had a nice, quiet New Year’s Eve which I liked. I didn’t even drink. Yes, you heard me correctly. No alcohol passed my lips and before anyone suggests it, that doesn’t mean I poured it in any of my other holes using a complicated series of funnels. I also realize just saying that makes it look suspiciously like I put way too much thought into that scenario and that it might just have happened. Well screw you guys! Pffft.
I was actually impressed by my clean living self. “Self!” I said, "This is great practice for when you’re 92, don’t drink and can’t stand up anymore.”, to which my future self retorted, “Shut up and get me some tequila, motherfucker!” before throwing a Yellow Pages at me and screaming, as I dart out the door, “And get off of my lawn.”
So yes. A new decade. I refuse to call it “twenty ten” though. It’s “two thousand and ten” because I have class and am not lazy. Twenty ten doesn’t mean a goddamn thing. It’s just two random words thrown together. You might as well shout “Eighty Orange!” or “Madagascar Brownie!” or “Guilty Taint!” But you make up your own mind. You know, even if it's wrong.
Completely unrelated because I have a short attention span, did you see there’s another youth oriented, Michael Cera movie coming out? I used to think Michael Cera was sort of bumbling and appealing in a “be yourself” geeky sort of way. Used to. Now I just think, “Dude, Michael Cera. What are you thinking? You keep playing the same character over and over again. I’m starting to think you might be that guy in real life. *And I’m getting annoyed by your bumbling and nervous nice guy routine.”
Because in all honestly, can you really ever see Michael Cera playing any other sort of character? No. No you cannot. He’s hardly going to play a Mexican drug lord or a Mad Max kind of hard-man, right? He wouldn’t know how. Druglord Michael Cera’d be all, “Um…call this blow, this is like uh…flipping icing sugar, motherflipper, I’m going to slap you silly! You know, if uh…you don’t mind.”
This new movie gives him an evil twin Michael Cera and that Michael Cera is supposed to signify that he is the badass bitch side of Michael Cera because he has a little ginger moustache. It actually makes him look more like he bothers goats but whatever. But do you buy that? I don’t buy that. Michael Cera is about as badass as a packet of Skittles. And seriously, I believe the Skittles could take him in a fight, even just the red ones.
Realistically, they could give the dude an AK-47, a bullet wound in his leg and a full-body tattoo of “Hellraiser” and he still wouldn’t scare anyone’s granny.
* Before you all start bleating ad nauseum about how fantastic “Arrested Development” was, let me get this off my chest. I hated “Arrested Development”. I tried to like it, I really did. People raved about it. Yet I found it the most over-hyped show on TV. And not even all that funny. So there. I said it. And I am right.
To summarize; new Michael Cera movie is going to make me frown. When you think about it, I could have said all the above using that one sentence.
Anyway, time to go and do something productive that may or may not involve Malibu (the drink, not the place, sadly). Happy New Year again. May it be the best one yet.
P.S. Has anyone ever said the words, "Michael Cera" more times in one entry than this? I think not.
I never watched "AD", but I also thought that Michael Cera was cute until I saw the promos for that new movie...then I thought "enough, Michael Cera! Enough already!" Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteYou are right about Michael Cera playing the same dude over and over, although I have to admit I still find it funny. The delivery is so ... ehh ... good?
ReplyDeleteBut you are SO WRONG about Arrested Development it's not even funny.
CDP: I know. ENOUGH MICHAEL CERA! :)
ReplyDeleteMiss C: I am right about AD. You know I am right. You know deep down it is NOT funny.
I did not have a sober New Years, but I admire you for doing so.
ReplyDeleteAnd I still like the Michael Cera shtick, but I do agree he's always pretty much the same character.
BUT AD is funny. I've been rewatching season 1 and LOLing all the way through.
I don't know, in Arrested Development, didn't he sleep with his cousin? That's a bit of a black sheep if I've ever heard one, and I know people from Oklahoma.
ReplyDeleteMichael Cera is a single faceted personality dweeb.
ReplyDeleteArrested Development was self-indulgent tripe.
Lindsay Lohan is a skank.
40-year-old women should not publicly proclaim themselves "Team Edward".
The Sun always rises in the East.
Some facts are simply unassailable.
He's always the same character, because that's who he really is.
ReplyDeleteA nerdy pathetic douchebag.
But I still continue to watch and laugh.
I've decided I'm going to do heroin when I'm 92. What will I have to lose?
ReplyDeleteYou are all wrong.. well maybe he is playing the same role over and over but for what he is getting paid I'd do it. Save his money for when he has no career.
ReplyDeleteAs for Arrested Developement I love that show. Have the dvd as well... so go ban me or something..
(but I will be back.) :)
But what happens if it is VA that is wrong and not VL ;)
I wonder what a movie starring Michael Cera, Vince Vaughn, and Adam Sandler would be like? They'd all be playing themselves, so I guess it would be kind of like having a backstage pass to the People's Choice Awards or something.
ReplyDeletesaw the preview for this one...think it is definitely on the skip list..
ReplyDeleteHe's got a nice tie though
ReplyDeleteDid you really stay sober on New Year's Eve? Respect
Also, if you like the word 'Motherflipper' then you should check out 'Flight of the Conchords'
"Madagascar Brownie!"
ReplyDeleteThat just sounds like some profoundly dirty and sinful sex act.
Involving a lemur and Ben Stiller.
Michael Cera reminds of a kid I went to school with. I used to beat other kids up for picking on him. In return he let me use his cool electronic toys.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I had similar (although not as passionate) thoughts as yours when I saw the trailer for his new movie. His appeal hasn't completely worn off for me yet though. And I loved me some Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. Although saying that out loud is a little sad because I'm 36 years old. Fuck.
ReplyDeleteAD - I wanted to love it. There were times when I laughed watching it. But I never was able to tell anyone else that they HAD to watch it or risk missing out on the funniest thing since.... well, I'm not even going to say what because it'll make me uncooler-est.
Happy New Year! I got an amazing visual of that orafice funnel system. You're a crazy mofo.
I think yours is the only post I've EVER read about Michael Cera. I suggest you go drink NOW.
ReplyDeleteIt's quite sad that people can be so wrong and not even know it. Sort of like those flat-earthers. Say...you're not one of them are you?
ReplyDeleteAD was awesome on a stick.
Yeah Cera getting a little old as a bumbling oaf, but that's how Hollywood works. Give the people what the want even if they're wrong and don;t really know what to think until someone smarter tells em. Can't blame a guy for milking out every last paycheck he can before we realize how boring he is. Shit Jim Carrey's been doing it for decades and he's infinitely more annoying.
Happy New Year! Except it's twentyten here - because back in the last century we had nineteen ninety nine - see? It follows!
ReplyDeleteAnd Michael Cera - he could so be a total sociopath in that photo.
Haha! Does it even count as acting if you just show up and say words how you would say them?
ReplyDeleteRed: See, you are typical of everyone else who told me it's hilarious (AD I mean) and I just didn't think so. Mildly funny here and there was as complimentary as I can get. And you and I usually agree on EVERYTHING TV.
ReplyDeleteEric: Regardless of what he did in AD, he was STILL a younger version of the same dweeb he plays now. It's who he is.
Rusty: I think you should randomly have spewed forth this comment BEFORE I wrote this entry because it sort of says it all. :)
Ed: Like I said I found him amusing in the past but it's just getting old now. He's the go to guy for dweebs. I would admire him if he tried something outside that usual realm and pulled it off.
Wendy: If you get to 92 you DESERVE Heroin, dude. You've earned that H. I say suffocate in an avalanche of illegal narcotics while flipping off the po po.
Vodka: Dudette. No. Honestly, you'll find I am the ultimate barometer by which good taste is measured, therefore if I say AD is unfunny and unremarkable I am correct. See how it works? :) Ha!
Beck: Fuck me, that would be one of my scenarios of what hell might be like. Add Ben Stiller to the mix and I'd just shoot myself.
Brian: Agreed. Plus Cera with the moustache creeps me out. Big time.
UberG: I love me some Flight of the Conchords but again it's an Arrested Development situation. I know MANY people who can't see the slightest thing funny about them whereas I think they're goddamn HILARIOUS. Twenty eight hundred times funnier than AD could ever HOPE to be.
Icarus: Hahaha, EWW! Thanks for making my imagination work on THAT idea. Holy shit. And for your information, ANY sex scenario that involves Ben Stiller is perverted. Dude looks like a tiny monkey with big ears.
Also, cool electronic toys are a good excuse to befriend someone I'd say. :)
Cheeks: I'd still watch his movies if I was desperate and had nothing to watch. I thought he was great in "Juno" for example. That character wouldn't work as anything but a nice guy geek. But man, I'm sick of him now.
I'll lend you my funnel knowledge. It's fascinating. :)
Lion with the cool name: Thing is, AD was NOT awesome. It might be awesome if you just discovered TV and that's the only show you got to see. Or if you never saw HBO or Showtime. And of course I'm always right. :) You're right bout Carrey however, I can't stand that dude and his rubber face. He's like the new Robin Williams. I'd like to fork him in the eye, but I've sworn off that for 2010... :(
Macy: Eff you for making sense, woman. :) Happy new year. You redeemed yourself with the Cera observation however. Maybe that's it. The dweeby geek is actually hiding a hidden psycho. I hope so. It would make him much more interesting.
Soda: EXACTLY. It is not. It's being yourself on camera using someone else's words. BINGO!
Holy happiness I can't believe I've only just now found you! "...that doesn’t mean I poured it in any of my other holes using a complicated series of funnels." I am so going to stalk you for all of 2010. Happy New Year to me!
ReplyDeleteWell happy new year to you, Buggin'. Incidentally, I am dangerous to stalk. I might use those funnels "creatively". Beware! And welcome.
ReplyDeleteI saw a few episodes of AD; it was okay, but I didn't get hooked.
ReplyDeleteYeah I think that was the thing about AD. It was OKAY...just not great. Certainly didn't live up to the hype. So you and I are in agreement, miss Eva.
ReplyDeleteuh.. michael who???
ReplyDeleteThat's the spirit!
ReplyDeleteI was just bitching to my sister about that 2010/2000 and 10 thing [lazy typing, I know]...and I'm right with you sister. Glad to see you have class...like I didn't already know:)
ReplyDeleteAnd as to that second paragraph...okay then... ;]
well, there seems to be some sort of theme to my comments where you assume that i'm drunk. that is all. i am not drunk. or am i? nor did i drink on nye. i fell asleep because i'm hardcore! boooooyeah! :)
ReplyDeleteAndrew: Well I'm happy someone agrees. We are classy people you and I that's all I can say. Yup. There's no disputing that really.
ReplyDeleteBecky: I think "drunk" is your natural demeanor even when sober. I'd take it as a compliment. You're a FUNNY drunk, not a mean drunk. :)
I think that Cera guy has it all figured out. He knows that the stuttering geek thing endears him to the ladies and that this stands him a pretty fair chance of seeing some boobies. Kudos to you Cera, you dirty dog. Having said that you're right about something. He wouldn't have a clue what to do with them.
ReplyDeleteUgh the new year just started and it's already depressing the shit out of me. I honestly don't want to be here.
ReplyDeleteWait ... your blog post wasn't about me and how I was feeling. You were talking about Michael something ... Blah, blah, blah
There is one more thing Michael Cera could play. Hugh Grant's son.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you are wrong about AD. So wrong. And about FOTC, too.
Also also, I know a guilty taint.
Arrested Development was not funny?
ReplyDeleteYou're dead to me.
Okay, okay..not DEAD to me...maybe unconscious in need of some CPR..possibly involving chest compressions and/or mouthy stuff.
I'll be by around 4.
I don't know. I'd kind of like to make him squeal uncomfortably...in a good way.
ReplyDeleteYour clean-living self is an inspiration to us all. Are you going to publish a guide to clean-living? Can I pre-order?
ReplyDeleteI'm so fucking sick of Michael Cera and Judd Apatow and Paul Rudd and Seth Rogan. SO FUCKING SICK OF THEM.
ReplyDeleteHere's an idea--a comedy by women for women--crazy!
And "Guilty Taint" is the best name for anything, much less a year, EVER.
Happy New Year. On a note which I think might make us fight, I actually said to my husband, "Hey, now I can call it 2010 instead of two thousand and ten". I'm sorry. Friends?
ReplyDeleteSpunky: It endears him to SOME ladies - I just want to bash him and say "SPIT IT OUT MAN!"
ReplyDeleteSid: No, you go on Whiny-pants! :) I hope there's a blog post on this bad new year's thing?
Words: OMG yes he could! Although no sir, YOU are wrong. AD is average at best and FOTC is fucking hysterical. I'm going to put this down to cultural differences and let you live. Lastly, keep your guilty taint stories to yourself, pervert.
Moooooog: No. It was not. It was mildly amusing now and then but not FUNNY. It SHOULD have been funny with that cast but no. So BRING IT.
Ms. OWO: Oh dear. You'd kill him. For real, he'd keel over and die all floppy...
Mo: You know what, that's a great idea. I would totally write that book. It might not be EXACTLY what you're expecting though. Of course, at the same time, it actually MIGHT.
Buffster: YES! YES YES YES! I'm sick to death of all those too. And I like Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd as a rule. But the Apatow dude, pop-culture humour is wearing thin on me. It's still funny, sure but it's become a cliche. It was AWESOME in "The 40 Year old Virgin" - fresh and original. But then he hammered us over the head with it for years. When the trailer came out for that Adam Sandler/Seth Rogen thing a while back (Funny People?) I growled to myself because it featured that lame joke where Sandler says to the Germanesque doctor that thing about dying at the end of "Diehard"? That killed any love I had left. It was too forced. Like here's more clever pop culture awesomeness! It just annoyed the hell out of me. And that was that. It's a giant cliche now. I'm over it.
Suze: Haha, well I'll let you live because I have more annoyances than that you know? I choose my battles miss Suze. I will fight the AD is not funny battle before the 2010 one. :)
I'm sick to death of that overrated little fucker - him and his entire posse of actor friends who only ever play one character over and over again. I'm lookin at you, Rogen. And fuck you, Jonah Hill!
ReplyDeletethanks for listening.
Oh NO! Please! Continue. I just had the mother of all rants about the same thing a few comments up! Fuck them all in the ass. :)
ReplyDeleteI never got into the whole Arrested Development thing either. Happy New Year to you.
ReplyDeleteWe need to start an ANTI AD club. :) Happy new year, Peachy.
ReplyDeleteI'm drumming my inquisitive digits on my mountainous desk waiting for your next blog post.
ReplyDeleteI could never garner interest in AD. And Michael Cera with his recurring character role reminds me of people like Keanu and Lisa Kudrom (same in every movie) and now I am embarrassed that I even admit I have seen a movie with either of them in it. I mean, I didn't but a friend told me.
ReplyDeleteUgh! I swear I feel like I'm running at least 36 hours behind everyone else when it comes to commenting on other blogs.
ReplyDeleteHoookay. I was just thinking the other day (I watched the "Between Two Ferns" bit with Zack Galifinakis and his guest Michael Cera on FunnyorDie) that Cera doesn't play anything else but Michael Cera. Which is terribly disappointing because (don't throw arugala at me) I like Arrested Development and Superbad. Kinda like Christopher Walken (now) or Samuel L. Jackson, but they're far more talented and entertaining at being themselves than ol' Mikey.
Eric: You're doing what now freak? Oh wait! You're mixing blogs here, that's clever. I bet you framed that comment and are going to set it in mosaic aren't you?
ReplyDeleteJenny: I agree. Keanu has the advantage of being fairly hot to look at though, unlike your other examples so I let him off even though he acts not unlike a pile of firewood. I mean not that I've seen any of his movies either. Your friend told me...
Jennifer: You are absolutely correct! They have interesting quirks, he just bumbles along looking bemused. No contest.
MC does appear to be following in the footsteps of Robert Redford who also seems to forget the core pricipal of acting is pretending to be somebody else.
ReplyDeletei never got into arrested development myself. i usually can't get into sitcoms.
ReplyDeletenow, madagascar brownie sounds like something they sell in "medicine" shops in california. guilty taint. what does a taint look like when it's guilty? what did it do that it could/should be guilty of? that's probably a good discussion for after you eat the madagascar brownie.
Lady: Haha, yes he does! But at least he has charm on his side at some point. Cera? I'm not sure.
ReplyDeleteDom: OH! I want a Madagascar Brownie in that case. Sounds like it would make winter fly by (in a haze). As for the taint, I don't like to dwell too hard on such matters. But I'm pretty sure if a taint can be guilty, then Ryan Seacrest has one.
Hi! I wanted to say super late happy new year to you my blogging buddy! :))) It's been a pleasure getting to know you through your writings and I'm looking forward to much more. I, unlike you, drank a WHOLE LOT of champagne 12/31-1/1... A LOT. Not the smartest thing I've done, but hell, it was a good time.
ReplyDeleteOh and I forgive you for your bad taste in television shows.... hehehe.
Happy new year to you! Mmmm champagne! I'm not a big wine person but I like me some champagne. My head, however, disagrees. Painfully.
ReplyDeleteI'll ignore the TV remark, smarty pants.