Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Stuart Enormous

Last week, while lounging on my bed early one morning about to take a nap, I heard this faint clicking noise coming from the other side of the room by the TV, so I had a quick glance over there to see what was what. Just as I did, this THING sprung out from behind the TV and flew at the apparent speed of sound, clean across the room and got behind the couch. It moved so freaking fast it was a black blur. I couldn’t even tell what it was, except it was ginormous and obviously wanted to suck out my organs.

I know this because I heard it hiss from behind the couch, “I am coming for you Veg.”

So I acted in a logical, mature and sensible manner by jumping to my feet in a nano-second (think of the movement of the Vampires in “True Blood”) and shrieking “WHAT. THE. MOTHERFUCKING. FUCK. WAS. THAT?”

I was the only person there yet I’m pretty certain I heard a deep, echoey hiss from the couch, “I have come for your soul.”

I think I stood there for about two minutes in a state of shock before I could move. The thing was huge. It was like a giant, fat Rhinocerous, only you know…one built for incredible speed. And possibly featuring a long, skinny tail. It blacked out the sun it was so huge. I swear the temperature dropped ten degrees in its shadow. It was a demon straight from Hell (or sent by Lindsay Lohan after calling her a skank ho the other day). It was a monster-devil-demon-entity-thing.

Well, OK it was a mouse. But it was a BIG FUCKING MOUSE. It was the Darth Vader of mice and it wanted to eat my eyeballs.

Naturally, I had chosen that day to have the worst headache ever in the history of headaches and had gone back to bed to hopefully have a little nap and wake up cured, but after the monster mouse event I was too skittish to lie back down in case it decided to pitter patter all over me while I slept and nibble on my nose and try to get in one of my holes.

Jesus Christ, I have problems enough worrying about bugs crawling up my ass, let alone something with teeth and bad intent.

Finally, I was so cranky and tired I decided I’d deal with the situation later and just lie down, so I cocooned myself like a burrito into the comforter with just my face peeking out, after I turned on every light in the apartment, opened the blinds and put on a “Golden Girls” marathon. I figured if anything can keep a murderous mouse at bay it’d be Bea Arthur and her big eighties’ shoulders and penis.

And then I didn’t see the mouse again for two days. I opened cupboards and closets with trepidation. I didn’t see it, I didn’t hear it, I checked for signs, there were no signs. And on the third day I thought “Did I IMAGINE that whole mouse thing?” Because there was this one time I imagined a ton of spiders in my bed and one of them told me a riddle and well….I won’t get into that. So I started doubting my usually extremely reliable and legendary sanity.

Until on that third evening, while lounging around on my mattress, I saw this little dark presence creep out from its new home under the dishwasher and stare right at me. With beady-eyed INTENT. And I swear I heard it say, “Tonight bitch. Tonight is the night. Tonight all your holes are belong to us.” before laughing in an evil manner (i.e., with lots of reverb) and darting back under the dishwasher.

And that night sure enough I heard it running around the hard wood floors like a tiny poodle after a lobotomy, but luckily I had reinforced all my holes and got right under the blanket and I thought, “Well victory is mine tonight but we need to get a trap, ASAP before I am violated by this undead creature from the darkside.”

So tonight a trap will be procured. A non-killing trap because I don’t like to kill things and I don’t want to be dealing with mouse guts or anything nasty like that. Then he will go out to meet his new home – the dumpster - where he can keep warm among the trash and eat like a king and leave my eyeballs the hell alone.

Your days are numbered, evil motherfucking mouse overlord.


63 comments:

  1. I think mice are so cute. But yeah, behind those whiskers lie millions of unthinkable diseases, just waiting to infect you. They must be gotten rid of. But don't ask me to set any traps. Gross.

    Also, exactly how much time do you spend worrying about bugs crawling up your butt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, somebody better vote for me. WTF? Or I'm going to get mice and let them lose at your house, Veg Ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I first here too.

    Ha!

    Knowing you, I doubt it very likely. I'm probably about as far removed from first as could be.
    <--(Totally inappropriate and unfunny joke about first time sexual experiences.)

    Anyway, buy a trap.

    Geez, how big are these gaping holes that they freely welcome in weary travelers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becks: Altogether TOO MUCH TIME. I mean it's always a possibility right?

    I think mice are cute too just not when you weren't at all expecting to see one and suddenly there it is moving really quickly and scaring the shit out of you. My trap will be humane and not deathly. No worries.

    Jules: Oh dear. Are we having a tantrum here? Are we trolling for votes miss Jules? :) VOTE FOR JULES, PEOPLE! How's that?

    Ed: Well, third isn't too bad I suppose. Serves you right for being all early to the party yet somehow not early enough. As for my holes well...they don't have to be large they just have to be THERE. Critters, I am convinced, are just plotting non stop to violate my holes. I've heard "chatter".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read that mice and rats live in close proximity and people usually never find out. They do weird stuff like burrow in the insulation and hide in the crawlspaces. Good thing we have the whole bubonic plague thing taken care of at this point.

    Oh, I'm going to go over to Jules site and vote right in her place for inserting votes. I love me some bad karaoke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay. I’ll tell Lindsay that you’ve learned your lesson, and are ready to give this attractive young woman with full, round breasts a begging apology. Your orifices will then be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rodents. I had a pet rat until a few months ago... RIP Bogie.

    Butttt I got a pet rat in attempt to redeem myself for accidentally killing the rat that lived in my kitchen. I wanted to do one of those "let-em-live" traps but you're talking about but it didn't work out. I finally had to put out poison and it died in my wall and smelled worse than you think a tiny little rat could. But I wish YOU luck! May you trap your rat and set it free so that you don't have to buy on as a pet. Though they do make excellent pets!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eric: Don't forget to get a tetanus shot first, bro'. It's brutal over there. BRUTAL! :)

    Simon: Thank you so much. What my life needs is more Lindsay Lohandjob. She wages war on my holes I will take her down. I will take the bitch DOWN I say.

    Carissa: Oh dear. Well thankfully so far, I only have a mouse and only one that I can tell, but his days of haunting my kitchen are over. Of course, I don't want to kill him but I'm hoping my tempting snacks in a no kill trap might work. He's really not very big, despite what I said, so I'm assuming he is NOT a rat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing more comforting than a Golden Girls marathon. NOTHING. Love it.

    Word of advice. Lure that giant rodent with peanut butter. They absolutely can not resist. I routine capture and release squirrels this way. And my friend used it to get rats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's my plan. Peanut butter on a cracker. I hope it works. Then I am blocking up that fucking gap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A mouse jumped out of a drawer as I was opening it, flew at my face, then landed on my shoulder and ran down my leg one time. I haven't been the same since.

    ReplyDelete
  12. DUDE! Fuck ME. ICK.

    So far mine hasn't seemed to migrate off the floor. The way things are set up here it would be difficult for it to get on counters or anything but I need to catch it before it can prove me wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Veg Assassin,
    I've had a really crappy day and reading your blog entry made me laugh out loud - so I thank you - it's really cheered me up :-)

    It sounds like that mouse has really gotten it in for you - I have my own personal tormentor... the biggest, hairiest monster spider that's as big as a dinner plate. I call him Hannabal. I tried to get him with the hoover once but he was too big to fit in the hose and managed to scuttle off under the sofa whilst sticking his finger up at me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miss Tee: Well I am happy to make you feel better for a minute, for sure! :) It's odd you mention spiders because I found one the size of Michael Moore in the bathtub last week. I'm not really scared of spiders but he was immense and unexpected since it's January and all. I "relocated" him alive. Aren't I considerate?

    Your spider, however, sounds like he might be a DOG. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your analogies kill me. Brill.

    And your comments at Mean Girl Garage cracked me the fuck up, every single one of them. I love how they pretty much all had drug references. You're my kind of lady.

    We need cocktail/desert sunset/trash talking sesh STAT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absofuckinglutely, girl! I mean that is practically NECESSARY.

    Talking of drugs, I heard that peanut butter is crack for mice therefore I have an elaborate little home made trap baited and waiting in the kitchen. Now to see if he falls for it. Delicious peanut butter, little mouse. You know you want it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know that comforter won't really protect your orifices, don't you? From a really determined critter; I'm just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh well, thank YOU for that information. Should I just arm myself with a machine gun? Shit, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will never find mice cute. But at least I'm not like my ex. He used to scream and run at the sign of any rodent. Mice, rats in the subway, even squirrels. Like a girl.

    It happened so frequently that it was no longer hilarious.

    But, ew. Stuart enormous. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They're cute so long as they're not terrorizing your apartment! So for now, he is definitely NOT cute. I hope I can catch him/her/it/them. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bea Arthur had a penis? Now the universe all makes sense.

    Good luck getting rid of the mouse with one of those hippie traps.

    I once stepped on a mouse in the garage with my sock-covered foot. It squealed and freaked out and I did a gross-out dance that would probably get a billion hits on YouTube had it been filmed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Because I worked with animals I used to be all humanitarian about pest control until I discovered mice living in my gadget drawer and making meals out of my good tea towels and pot holders - and pooping near the utensils I use to prepare food for my family - after that I wanted distruction and bodily harm, but in a tidy little package so that I don't have to see it.

    I wrote a post about it on my blog awhile back elegantly titled "Fucking Mice".

    My best advice it to get a cat. A young, spry cat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hunter: You didn't know about Bea? Wow. Well actually I may be guessing but I'm pretty sure she had a penis. Plus I wish you had that damn video!

    Lady: My cats in the past have gotten "friendly" with mice and it's a most unpleasant scenario. When you find mouse BITS everywhere. GROSS! Goddamn mice. I WILL PREVAIL.

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Last week, while lounging on my bed early one morning about to take a nap, I heard this faint clicking noise coming from the other side of the room by the TV, so I had a quick glance over there to see what was what. Just as I did, this THING sprung out from behind the TV and flew at the apparent speed of sound, clean across the room and got behind the couch. It moved so freaking fast it was a black blur. I couldn’t even tell what it was, except it was ginormous and obviously wanted to suck out my organs."

    This first paragraph sounds like testimony in the OJ trial! LMFAO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. "Reinforced all your holes"?? My mind went to dirty town again.

    They have mice electrocution boxes, which are good because then it also kills the parasites that live on the mice, so they don't jump ship and start looking for your pets. This was the sales pitch that landed me as the proud owner of 5 electrocution boxes. But that was before I had rodents as pets. Now we all live in peaceful coexistence.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are brilliant Veg. I grew up in backward banjo-playing country where you do the Dance of a Thousand Mice" every time you lift a bale of hay (or your coffee cup). I am amazed that you have knowledge of the traditional song we sing whilst we dance, "WHAT. THE. MOTHERFUCKING. FUCK. WAS. THAT". You are truly a woman of class.

    It is clear now that I am the proud owner of the "Blog of Dullness" in comparison to you shining brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I may be a mouse because peanut butter is crack to me as well. Mmm, crack, errr, I mean peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seriously. The exact same thing happened to me the other day. And we had the 15 second stare. 'Oh. Fuck. There's a mouse.' 'Oh. Fuck. I've been spotted'.

    Not seen the wee guy since. But he's marked his territory (poop-wise) loud and proud.

    He's here. He's after me. And I'm down with the humane mouse trap.

    God.

    Keep me updated. Together, we'll conquer those little asses.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I once saw a spider on our front stoop that hissed "Miss Yvonnnne" and then the big fucker jumped in my general direction. No one believed me when I told them my life was being threatened by a murderous spider. The big jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. send the mouse to bea to check it out! (is she still around?)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Not wishing to alarm you unduly, but where there's one, there's often more.

    You need to learn an incantation to summon the spirit of Bea Arthur to protect you and yours from the horror of The Mice of Doom.

    That and arm yourself with a shotgun.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Otin: Hahaha, oh jeeze, that's all I need. :) My glove fits however. Whatever that means.

    Steamy: It's ok, mine was in dirty town too. I heard about the electrocution boxes but I'm afraid of them. I want to catch it and take it away and release it if I can but at the same time I don't want that little fucker ruling my house either. Tell the truth, you keep electrocution boxes for your dates...

    Rusty: Are you being sarcastic? Of course you are. I am the Queen of sarcasm therefore, I appreciate it. I'm happy to see you run a close second in the sarcastic crown though.

    Buffster: Um...ok. :) Lucky you're not here then really or you might be in a large bucket by now or stuck in a toilet paper tube. Haha!

    Walk T. Sand: OOOH! The stare. Yes, I had that too the other day. It looked at me, I looked at it, it then nonchalantly gave me the mouse equivalent of the finger and went about its business. Damn thing has to go. This is war.

    Miss Y: Right? Those critter really do have threats. I BELIEVE YOU if no one else does. Because I KNOW...

    Sarah: Sadly no. Otherwise that would be a fine idea. Thanks though!

    Rich: So far I've only encountered one so I want to block up that gap and catch it before more do appear. I will win. I always win. It will be mine.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am honoured to run a close second. :)

    (though your brilliance was a heartfelt and non-sarcastic comment).

    I was left with visions of a little grey mouse sitting in his chair petting a cockroach on his lap, Dr Evil style, whilst plotting your downfall.

    ReplyDelete
  34. OT, but I mentioned you here: http://vegetableassassin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Why thank you Rusty although you almost caused a panic just at the word "cockroach". Mice I can handle but thankfully there are no roaches up here. PHEW. Nasty, nasty things. :)

    Wendy: OOOOH! It's like fame when you get a shout out from Wendy B. famous jewelry designer and lady and style icon. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG sounds like my horrible giant monster roach story! I literally spend HOURS trying to kill this one disgusting bug one night and couldn't sleep at all. Unlike you, I had to mercy for the creeper. It was GROSS. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I was thinking bug to begin with.. a little ole mouse caused all that trouble?


    Stop by I have an award for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ms Veg - You need to rehabilitate and domesticate this wee rodent! Together you can live in campervan loving harmony. You can sing to it on your guitar whilst he gazes adoringly at you, together you can count wildflowers in the summer meadows...OK gone for a long lie down now.....

    ReplyDelete
  39. once had a dream that a mutant hamster was after me, throwing balls of its poop.

    did i need to tell you that? no.

    but i did it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hon - and I hate to do this to you - but if it was that enormous are you sure it wasn't a rat?

    Rats in orifices is considerably worse. Sorry.

    Putting on my pratical country girl hat here and saying you know you can get little plug in things that make a very high pitched noise that keeps them away. Just in case you don't fancy the blood shed..

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mice want your genitals?

    Is this valid for female mice, too...because if so, I'm totally running out to Petco and picking one up.

    Rodent Sexytime Fun, HERE I COME!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Pffft! Bugs up the ass again? You're all about the bugs and the ass, arentcha?! *snicker*

    I was sitting in my backyard watching a squirrel eating seeds on the ground which had fallen out of the bird feeder one summer when suddenly another squirrel popped out of the shrubbery to join in the feast. My inner jabber went a little something like this, "awwww, how cu-- HOLY SHIT!! THAT'S NOT A SQUIRREL!! THAT'S A RAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and I ran into the house and slammed the door! Once big, ugly rat-face had left my garden I removed the bird feeder (I fucking HATE birds anyway) and banned my kid from playing in the backyard for about two weeks. And I still don't feel completely safe in the backyard anymore (even though that was like three years ago) because I can swear I can feel its sinister gaze on me when I'm out there. Or perhaps that's just the gaze of my neighbor who likes to moon people. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh! I'll catch Out of Tune Idol later on. I have to go get ready for work. *pout*

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm with you on this. Mice creep me the fuck out. Bad.

    Mostly because of a traumatic incident involving my knee and mouse guts. (deep breaths....OH!...deep breaths)

    Kill heem!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I don't think the dialogue in your picture there is realistic enough. The Darth Vader of mice would more likely have said "Luke, I am your father," which would have been odd, given that you are neither called Luke nor are you the daughter of a mouse, but still, it would have been more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I hate mice. Hate it when they get into the house. They are evil creatures.
    Came by from Vodka Logic's.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I had a rat fall out of some corrugated metal sheeting a few years ago, land on my head and escape by running down my back and away a few years back.

    I believe it also shouted "Out of my way, biped!" as it went, but my memory's hazy on this point.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Cindy: Well if it had been a giant roach my sympathy would've run a lot drier. I mean bugs are just wrong. I hate them. Mice I can sympathize with some mainly because they're not bugs. See my logic? It's furry and reasonably cute = it can live.

    Vodka: YES! It's a killer mouse let's not forget. It wants me. Does that even things? OH and THANK YOU! I think. Unless it's an award for "Idiot of the Year" in which case I will cry. I'm going to look right now.

    Macy: Yes. Yes I can. And you can keep on taking those pills and grinning a lot and watching the big pink moon floating over the marshmallow clouds. Ok? :)

    P: Well that would be traumatizing. There's nothing as upsetting as a disgruntled, poop flinger of any species. Well strictly that's not true - off the top of my head I can think of several (hundred) more upsetting things but even so, it's slightly disturbing.

    Jude: It crossed my mind but when I saw it again it was really actually small, but my imagination had turned it into King Kong. If it's a rat it's a tiny one. I think it's a mouse. Either way it's not staying unless it shares the rent.

    Moooooog: Yup. There goes the neighbourhood. Rodent porn - a new exciting low! :)

    Cora: Thankfully no bugs, but a mouse in your orifices wouldn't be any better right? I don't want to test this theory or anything. Your rat is probably the Godfather of the area. Before he met his match in you that is.

    Ms. OWO: I love mice. So long as they're not in MY house or interfering with my life. In the wild they're fine. In a cage in some kid's room they're fine. Near me, they're not fine and they are competition for my cheese. And I can't have competition for my cheese...

    Mo: What a fine piece of logical thinking Mo. I'm glad you worked through it and concluded that I am neither mouse nor daughter of a mouse (nor called Luke) The fact I'm 5 foot 6, can walk upright, can stand bright light and have no tail was a clue for me, but you caught up in the end and I'm proud of you.

    Deb: Oh the cute mice! OK I'm with you on their evilness in the house. This one seems like a lazy little effer though. He's only on the floor, only occasionally, doesn't seem to poop, doesn't leave the kitchen - I think he has an access point from under that dishwasher into other apartments or the rest of the building because I don't believe it's even IN here all the time. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  49. The Jules: Well, really freaking horrid as that sounds, at least you attract an intelligent sort of rat. I mean look at his vocabulary! That's astonishing. I mean it knew what it was talking about, I thought you meant "MOPED" and I was confused to say the least! :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I live in the country, so that means: Cold weather + rodents = In my house.

    I was sitting the living room and watched one scurry across the floor. I went to investigate and found it on my goddamn kitchen counter. I seriously considered setting the room on fire, you know, to sanitize.

    The Husband now has traps in strategic places in the house, and just about every morning there's a new dead friend to dispose of unceremoniously.

    *gag*

    ReplyDelete
  51. AAARGH gross! Thankfully my set up would mean they have to be able to fly to reach the counters so I think for now those are safe but I AM WATCHING. I have seen mice after a cat's had them and that is even less lovely than you might imagine! Gag times ten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. We had rats and squirrels in our roof but they never came down into the house, thank Christ.

    I have Mexican standoffs with roaches though, you see one and it sees you and we are both wondering if I can get my hands on something to squish it with faster than it can run under something.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thankfully we don't have roaches up here. Too far north and too cold. HALLELUJAH! I remember getting them occasionally in New York and man, those things were like horses. They are GARRRRRROSS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Can never remember the name of the mouse trap I've found most affective. It's non lethal since I first used them in biology to study wild rodents, has a little tunnel entrance, wee door and a nesty part at the back so you don't distress the creature. On the other hand a Dougie works wonders but is lethal.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Mr Dreich: Interesting! I must actually do more research on what's available as clearly my inventive "trash can and cardboard on-ramp plus toilet paper tube" device isn't working. Maybe I could just serenade it with my guitar then it might leave of its own free will? :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. it's best just to befriend it. or kill it. otherwise it WILL come back and get in one of your holes.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Well thank you. Thank YOU. Because my holes weren't paranoid ENOUGH.

    ReplyDelete
  58. https://www.heritage-homeandgarden.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=6339


    That's sort of like what I used but made from metal and older but we were catching wood mice and other small rodents rather than house mice. I assume it'd still work, you just place some sort of bedding and nuts in the big bit, mouse goes in, trap door shuts. In the morning you shake it till blood dribbles out so you ken you've caught something then you take it far away and release it.

    Alternatively go to a mission impossible store, rig up a harness put a cat in it and hover it above some nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  59. That cat idea is AWESOME. It would be worth trying just for kicks, really.

    I put peanut butter and goldfish crackers in my toilet roll tube, balanced it precariously over the edge of the big, empty trashcan and put fluffy stuff and crackers in the tub, so when he falls in (fingers crossed) he'll have a soft landing and some food. Because I am caring like that. However, he is thwarting me.

    I really hope blood doesn't come into the equation. That's just nasty and would ruin my peaceful karma (man).

    ReplyDelete
  60. Also? You tried to catch mice in a CASSEROLE DISH???? The fuck, young man?

    https://www.heritage-homeandgarden.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=633

    ReplyDelete
  61. Oh shit, I missed off the "9" in the link. No wonder I was confused. Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  62. If writting is the window to the soul,then what I want to know is what it means if your always writing about stuff wanting up your ass. Just say'in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  63. You'll have to ask Freud about that, man. Except my ass is an exit only. No stuff is welcome in it. It's like an exclusive club, my ass. :)

    ReplyDelete

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...