Sunday, August 2, 2009

Yo (No) Quiero Taco Bell

In a rare bit of frantic optimism, based solely on some rose-tinted nostalgia, we decided it was entirely necessary this afternoon to acquire some Taco Bell. Once you get an idea in your head, especially one that involves procuring fast food, it’s hard to shake it.

Except the reality slipped both of our minds just a touch. The last time I had Taco Bell was probably ten years ago and I completely decided to forget that it was like eating a burrito filled with refried bean lava and disappointment.

It’s sort of encouraging to see that not a lot has changed and slightly irritating to realize there’s still more flavour in the packaging than there is in any food Taco Bell serves. It’s what Mexican food tastes like if you remove every last trace of Mexico - every spice, anything resembling real cheese, anything with a modicum of zing and anything that involves the decapitated head of a drug lord.

I’m kidding about the last part. That only comes with the combo meal.

If desperation had a flavour, it would be Taco Bell.

I ate my 7 Layer Burrito, frowning that the kid on the register promised me no lettuce (seriously, shredded lettuce is for rabbits and deviants) yet suspiciously seemed to neglect to inform the burrito maker of this.

“I bet you three hundred bucks I get lettuce.” I said to God, before the food arrived.

“Well he pressed some button when you asked for that.” said God. “But despite this, I fear you’re right.”

I upped the wager. “I bet you another three hundred bucks that the part of your order when you said ‘can I have the volcano meal without the hot part?’ means your food shows up with more jalapenos than the whole of Mexico City on ‘National Jalapeno Day’.”

“Again, I fear you are right.” replied God.

God is wise. He knows.

“Besides…” I reminded him, “He didn’t press anything when you asked. I don’t think there’s a button on that till for ‘lose the heat’.”

“Sure there is,” said God, “It’s right next to the button that says ‘Spit on this guy’s food for being picky.’”

So indeed I got lettuce and God got enough jalapenos to set an entire town on fire and the food STILL lacked taste or spice.

The thing is, it’s sort of hard to fuck up Mexican food if you have the ingredients, because Mexican food by its very definition, is tasty. If you look up “tasty” in the dictionary I bet there’s a Mexican flag next to it. Even if you go wrong, it’s still tastily edible. The Mexicans know their shit when it comes to cooking. 

Neither of our meals included even the basics – no salsa, guacamole or sour cream. The cheese was that mystery orange goo they give you in movie theatres with nachos, that is designed to scald your taste buds on the first attempt, so you can’t tell that it has no flavour. I bet NASA made that “cheese” at some point to deal with those pesky tiles that keep falling off the space shuttle.

Taco Bell is magic. The first time you go they implant a chip in your food that you swallow, which then embeds itself in your gut and activates at certain times in the future making you immediately crave Taco Bell and momentarily forget the suckage involved, until you’ve parted with your money.

So if you’re out tomorrow and you see someone driving around, vacant yet expectant expression on their glassy-eyed face, you can bet your ass they are headed for an afternoon of disappointment at Taco Bell.

28 comments:

  1. I think their little display screen that they all huddled around only had so many characters to work with - like 12.

    "7 lyr bur n/"

    Since there was nothing following the 'n', which would have in this case indicated "no lettuce", they obviously assumed it was "no flavour" and continued about their merry way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know the taco bell dog died a week or so ago? and despite all the truth to this post - i will continue to eat and love taco bell. if i weren't so tired i'd go get it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. G: That explains EVERYTHING!!!!!

    Claire: I saw that about the dog. I liked the dog. Much more than I like the nasty food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love taco bell, and don't care how I have tp pay the price after I have had it.. and you surely know how to write a story.. I can never come to your post and not finish it..no matter how sleepy or tired or distracted I am.. you are that good.. and no I don't suck up like this normally.. I mean, no I am not sucking up.. I think I may be a little drunk though..
    question: you mention "God" in your posts, like you and God went somewhere.. or you and God did something.. Should I be looking back at your old posts to figure who you are referring to or do you actually have God live with you? Cuz if you, I have a few questions I wouldn't mind being answered??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, you're mental miss Rookie.
    I live with God. I am that holy. OK, not THAT God, my God is an entirely different God but much better than the other one.

    See, Taco Bell have that chip implanted DEEP in you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What does the bell mean? Could the smell wake up someone who was sleeping?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, good question about the bell part... I never gave it much thought. I'm pretty sure the smell COULD wake you up AFTER you'd eaten it, if you get my drift. All those beans... Not that you'd know about beans being a gorilla and all...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate Taco Bell. Hate it. I've only eaten there maybe four times, like 15 years ago. When I was pregnant though Taco Bell was the bane of my existance. I couldn't drive by one without spewing instantly. No exaggeration. Taco Bell's smell would trigger violent vomiting every damn time. Just the smell alone. I actually had to plan my trips out ahead of time to avoid driving past a Taco Bell.

    Taco Time? No problemo whatsoever. Taco Bell? Instant possession by a vomit demon.

    Taco Hell indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I worked for a long time in marketing for a couple different restaurant chains. We had a saying...

    "Taco Bell doesn't serve food, it serves a need."

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have no idea how much I can relate to this post. Before quitting all national chain fast food cold turkey, T-Bell was my restaurant of choice. Every time I'd eat there there was a split second of enjoyment followed by a deep sense of regret. I'd always feel depressed sitting in there, yet would go back time after time knowing full well what awaited me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I can say is that I am fucking glad we don't have Taco Bell here in Australia.

    Before reading this post, I too shared the opinion that Mexican food was basically impossible to fuck up. I mean, if I can cook it, even the second stupidest person alive should be able to do it, right? Now I know better. This post was like a scary Public Service Announcement. With jalapeños.

    (This comment clearly didn't make sense. I'm so sorry, darling Veggie. It's after midnight and I'm ridiculously overtired, but just couldn't not comment. Rookieblogger has a point on this stuff! I'm so going to regret this in the morning, aren't I?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does Taco Bell really use Grade 'D' meat as I've heard? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've tried to cut pop out completely (or "soda," for you uppity folks) but I remember one time going to Taco Bell with my sister and we were extremely thirsty, so we got the largest Pepsis they had. They were BUCKETS. Fucking buckets of pop. I was horrified. And I drank every last drop of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cora: It doesn't surprise me. It has that "smell" that's sort of undefinable. I've only eaten there a handful of times myself and not being a meat person I haven't had the meaty burritos - maybe that's where the flavour is? Or not.

    Py: That sums it up right there. :) I believe that entirely. Your mind's saying "Mexican Food" but Taco Bell is serving an imitation. The only thing Mexican about Taco Bell is the word "taco" in its name.

    SG: I'm so rarely in fast food places - I don't eat meat besides me once a month bacon, so I have no need for them. I've nothing against fast food, but if there's no taste I don't see the point. If you're going to shovel unhealthy fare into your face at least give us a pay off in the taste dept.

    The Girl: I love Mex food. Also TexMex. But TB doesn't serve either. Not that you expect quality ingredients from a fast food chain but taste would be nice! :)

    Eric: It wouldn't surprise me. I mean don't all the fast food places? I've never had anything meaty in there but I'm sure it's hardly Grade A. How hard is it to throw a little nippy salsa on a burrito though to up the flavour?

    Beck: I'd love to cut that out too but I don't think I can. I love my Diet Pepsi. I'm sure all that aspartame isn't good but man, I like it. I've seen those pop buckets. I always wonder who the hell can finish one. Now I know. Well done! Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bleurgh, I would not eat Taco Bell if you paid me.

    Next time your Taco Bell chip activates, remember to read this post first!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well given my track record that should be about ten years from now, so I think I'm safe till then. Maybe I need a "Taco Hell" tattoo as a reminder?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You would do well to remember exactly how far away you are from Mexico, and choose your fast food accordingly. Where you are, by far the better choice would be poutine. If you can bear the thought of cheese curds and gravy on your fries, which I confess I cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like my fries unadorned apart from salt, vinegar and maybe mayo or ketchup. No fancy stuff. :) Weird French Canadians. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that your cartoon drawing has just a leetle bit of a cameltoe.

    Also, this line:

    "If desperation had a flavour, it would be Taco Bell"

    was so good I tweeted the hell out of this post. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. *shudders* I LOATHE shredded lettuce and am sure there is a circle of hell that consists of Adolph Hiltler mincing lettuce for the masses. Dis-gusting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Um, while you're talking to God, can you ask him when I'll be winning the lottery? I'd hate to keep working and being nice to those people if it won't be for much longer. Muchas Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Indeed, we Mexicans do know our shit.
    It's difficult to be oblivious to our shit also, because it's just cheese beans rice and tortillas mixed up in different ways! :P

    And I love Jalapeno day!!! :D !!

    Cinco de Mayo pales in comparison.

    Ahahaha I may be racially biased, but indeed, I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Li: Hahaha, You know, honest to God, I thought to myself "Does this look like cameltoe?" for a nano second then thought, "Naaaah." Then up YOU pop.:) You crazy lovely lady! Thanks for the ego boost also!

    CCBB: Isn't it the Devil's food? I think so. It's pure, unfiltered nasty. At least a big, crispy leaf of iceberg has its merits but that shredded nonsense is soggy and yukky. So thank you.

    Suze: He says there's a queue, suck it up. :)

    Juan: See, as a Mexican I knew you'd know the forest from the trees as it were. I bet you're used to some rockin' good eats and would never eat at Taco Bell (or at least not unless you were feeling insane or wanted some bland.)

    Wouldn't Jalapeno Day be awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Suze: According to my records you haven't sponsored a child in Africa yet so no lottery winnings for you. Suck it up, tightwad!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lol me 'n LiLu spotted the camel toe!

    I used to eat taco bell as a teenager and I had some about 4 years ago, but it was really soggy.

    They used to serve sodas with crushed ice which I LOVE!

    I like making tacos! I just eat them with lots of sour cream they are very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shut your cake hole boy.

    I make good tacos myself. I make a bean salad with taco seasoning mixed in, grate up some good cheese, get a medium nippy salsa and some guac and sour cream and VOILA, heaven. 100 times better than anything in Taco Bell. 1000.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Monsieur C: Well for heaven's sake get real Mexican, not Taco Bell.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...