Monday, August 17, 2009

570

Sometimes you find yourself somewhere for the very first time and you feel like you belong, like there’s some sort of cosmic force pulling you toward it like a magnet. Even though you’ve never been there before, it feels almost like home. A place secure and serene, yet with no walls to hold you in or keep the world out. You may never live in that place, but that place will always live in you. You don’t find these locations often but when you do, they carve a hole deep in your psyche - persistent worms of inspiration and clarity, like it was always meant to be.

There’s a lonely two lane highway that snakes through Eastern Alberta and into the rugged folds of Saskatchewan. I’ve only been down that road once but it’s a road that reeled me in with its gentle magic and has never let me go. It represents peace in a mind so often filled with non-peaceful thoughts. This is a road which winds for a couple of hundred kilometres through sun-soaked fields of scorched hay and stretched cornflower-blue skies, where you might never pass another vehicle the entire route. Where you’re more likely to encounter grazing antelope than another human being. It’s as though beyond the confines of the road, the real world doesn’t exist. It’s a road dripping with the lazy drone of bees, the lilting creaks of birds and the sweet melody of a silence devoid of man.

Somewhere, amidst all that emptiness, I really feel alive. Small yet significant. Still, yet soaring like a kite. A cool balm of soothing tranquility for a bruised mind. All my problems evaporate into that hot, blue nothingness, leaving behind a slowly rising mist of hope.
It’s a road to nowhere in particular, yet, somehow, a path to everything that’s possible.

You might never get to drive along its remote surface, thick with cracked paint and potholes that hold a thousand stories, but it doesn’t matter because there are lonely roads everywhere just like Highway 570 and when you find one it will always take you where you need to go.

45 comments:

  1. Lonely roads are fantastic. This post would've been perfect for a Friday, to start the weekend. Great post anyway and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite lovely. I like you in serious reflective mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veggie, this post made me cry because it is so haunting and beautiful. I've got no words left. You are incredible.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love the 'Lake Isle of Innishfree'-ness of this post.

    Ive experienced this before too. Its not really anything you can exactly put your finger on, it just resonates with something you recognise. Or perhaps the place recognises you?

    Its for reasons like this that the staying in one place for the rest of your life is so alien, isnt it? So many places youve not yet seen calling you 'home'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an exquisitely written piece and the pictures are captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are places that make me at feel at once exhilirated and soothed... And I would very much like to visit the stretch of road that you describe. Especially after seeing the pictures. Currently, I am sitting inside on a sunny London morning, and even on a morning such as this, you can feel the smog. (Still I do love my city).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat post!

    Highway 12 in Nebraska gives me that feeling... Gentle peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love solitude. But I try to look at my "down" times at being times of growth leading me to where I need to go. I think whenever I feel that way, I will re-read this post. Because you've summed up the tranquility and peace you find once you realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, beautiful pictures! And now I'm in the mood for a road trip (though really, now that I think about it, am I ever *not*?).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might extrapolate that you would like the Scottish highlands, what with the nice nature all around and general lack of people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TeH: You may be right! On Friday I'll probably be in my "Silly and insane" mode though. You can't choose these things. Maybe.

    MLS: I had my serious hat on. Well I didn't really. I had serious music on though!

    Girl: Hormones. That must be it. Silly things. :)

    Judearoo: That is exactly it. I do not know this Innisfree thing you speak of, but I will surely check it out.

    Peachy: Thank you! They were my favourite photos of last year. I had to lie on the highway to take one of them but there was no problem with traffic. :)

    Maisee: I think it's still ok to appreciate the city AND the desolate places. I love the city. I love the country. They each serve their purpose. The city for me is home too and always will be to some extent.

    Chris: Hey, I hope I get to see it someday. After all Nebraska's directly south of me. It's inevitable!

    Jules: I feel I need it. If I'm around people for a sustained period it's absolutely mandatory. I get tired if I'm outside my head for too long. :)

    Inky: I know, there is never a bad time for a road trip. Well maybe during a hurricane wouldn't be prudent but still. You know what I mean!

    Eric: I've been all over the Scottish Highlands and I do indeed like the heather and the lochs and the open space. And the sheep. I miss the wandering sheep. Baaaaa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WB Yeats. Its more the final verse, the idea that life goes on; but you take it with you, and can retreat there when you need to
    :
    I will arise and go now, for always night and day
    I hear the water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
    While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
    I hear it in the deep heart's core.

    ReplyDelete
  13. J'roo: Thank you! I'm a cultural heathen when it comes to the classic poets and authors. :) That's quite an eloquent verse and you're right. It says the same thing (only more professionally polished!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shhhh. You're making me yearn for an adventure ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go have one! I'm still recovering from the envy of that beach photo you posted. I so want a day at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! They make me sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pictures are gorgeous. I love how the clouds look.

    And the kind of ersatz homecoming you describe happened to me once, the first time I visited Dublin. It was like the place was waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know! I really believe that sometimes a place just has some invisible link to you that you just feel. It happens seldom but when it does you know. It's weird. But I trust it. :)

    I love the clouds in them too. We get those clouds a lot over the prairies. I can't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love those pics!!!!!
    They perfectly capture that moment when you're all alone and driving and you break into a smile because everything is just "right"
    LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those clouds look almost unreal....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautifully written, VA. I rode this one by bicycle. There was nothing as far as the eye could see: http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2033/

    The article says it's "far from lonely", but I beg to differ.

    ReplyDelete
  22. AWESOME!! I like those. That is such a wonderful feeling. I used to get that a lot when we lived in rural Wisconsin. I miss it terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kim: There are too few of those moments! We need more.

    Squirrel: Yeah, they make great photographic subjects. I think they look like Simpsons clouds.:)

    SG: Thanks mang! That road looks amazing. How the hell long did it take on a BIKE? It looks pretty lonely to me. Which is how I like it.

    BMC: Oh yes, I'm sure the midwest is crammed with great lonely highways. They're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was great, you do serious well. And the funny. Gosh you have mad skills!

    And honestly the fact that you have Saskatchewan in this post makes me so very happy. Isn't that where Fozzie and Kermit got stuck in during the song Moving Right Along? "Send some what to get us we're in Saskatchewan!"

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hahaha, I think you are more versed in Muppet locations than I am. :) But if you're right that's cool! Saskatchewan might be my favourite province. It might. It's so...empty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Veggie those pics came out great!

    I wanna go drive that road now :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. My first thought...the pictures are beautiful. The second thought - has Vegetable Assassin been smoking weed?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Is that road really real? That is amazing.

    Also, "Sometimes you find yourself somewhere for the very first time and you feel like you belong, like there’s some sort of cosmic force pulling you toward it like a magnet. Even though you’ve never been there before, it feels almost like home."

    The first time this happened to me was the first time I walked into a Krispy Kreme store. I wish I was kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful! So, did you get your camera fixed then? That was quick.

    ReplyDelete
  30. DOOD, those photos are INCREDIBLE. Not quite the same view that I get here in L.A. Ho-hum. Thanks for the treat!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mr.C: Well you can't. It's MY road. Hmmph.

    Suze: Not this year babeh! I was having a serious moment. I have them occasionally. It was a late night, you know?

    Soda: You and me both. Mmmmm Krispy Kreme...

    Cora: Sadly no, the photos are from last year's road trip. I was merely reliving! Sniff. I miss my camera.

    HHH: Oh L.A. has its own joyful sights, no? I don't mean the big blonde chicks with boobs up to their chins. The canyons and the desert. Lovely!

    Raine: It's in the middle of nowhere but worth it! Well so long as you don't get lost or break down or something... That might suck. Especially if it happens to be January. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. What gorgeous photos! WOW. And I like the introspective you give. Very well done, Veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you. I like them too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Shut up! I smashed my camera last week. It's a sore subject.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely photos.I have yet to find that place, but some parts of Scotland or Iceland would come close.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Madame: I haven't done Iceland yet but parts of Scotland definitely do! Now if there was just some good WEATHER it would be perfect there!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh, that looks fabulous. A lot of Montana looks like that.

    Oh, man do I love a good long ride in the car!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  38. OH me too! I am the road trip queen, I swear. I can't drive anywhere without wanting to keep going. Makes going to WalMart or somewhere, dangerous. :) I really want to see Montana too. I guess Alberta (where my road is) and Montana ARE neighbours after all.

    ReplyDelete
  39. absolutely beautiful pictures. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you Kristine. They're among my favourites because they just take me right back. Of course they can't compare to the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. note to self: in bad need of a back roads road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Claire: Aren't we all?! I'm annoyed this summer's been so rainy and depressing. Not enough opportunity to have them!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...