People have their own dreams of what they want their lives to be.
Maybe it’s success at work, to drive a better car or have a pool built in their yard. Perhaps they want four kids and a house in the country. Maybe they want a penthouse apartment in the city and annual vacations to the tropics.
Sometimes they want to work in soup kitchens or animal shelters or grow their own crops.
Me, I was never conventional in my hopes and aspirations. I never wanted a big house and a mortgage. I never wanted kids or the sort of responsibilities that tie people down. I never wanted a sports car or a ridiculous fur coat. I laugh when people say “Money can’t buy you happiness”. It might be true, but I admit, money sure helps.
Despite this, I’m more concerned with freedom than with money, although I’d like enough money to acquire the freedom, it goes without saying.
Because none of us are free and it’s a shame. We’re a slave to work and stress and other things that get in the way of fulfillment and happiness, because we have no choice. I saw a recent statistic that stated that something like 76% of people disliked, hated or were indifferent to their job. It hurts my soul that as people, we are resigned to spending all day working for someone else, to afford to live our lives when we’re wasting so much time.
I always wanted freedom. As a child I’d roam the countryside on my bike, loving the open space. As an adult nothing makes me happier than an empty beach or open blue skied prairies or vast red expanses of desert brush. Road trips make me joyful. I love to see old diners and old cars. I love to feel the sun on my face.
I like that my ties are to people rather than things. My feet itch so badly to keep on moving. I’m not sure they’re ever going to stop. I don’t have that nesting urge. I don’t like to be in one place too long.
I’d like to split my seasons between the Florida Keys, the Arizona/New Mexico deserts and the Canola filled prairies. I want to avoid winter. I want to swim in lakes and oceans and eat outside by firelight. I want to travel around seeing little places and travel overseas to see bigger ones. I want to paint outside by the ocean and drink cocktails watching the sunset over some distant desert mesa or Mexican vista. I want the person I love to be there too because this dream is worthless alone.
I want to wake up in harmony with the world and myself. I want to do a job I love and contribute something meaningful to society and not just earn a pay cheque.
The things I want aren’t big things, they’re just hard to acquire, but they shouldn’t be.
Really I just want endless summer.
And one day I am going to find it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's the What What
So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...
-
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 - the wee small hours of insomnia Religion. It's all around us. And it's killing us in record num...
-
You know what? Swearing's a fine tool to have in your arsenal, and Lord knows it's my favourite power tool of all - even better tha...
-
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 – achey breaky knee, Tonka Bean chocolate is good, digging plaid Hi! Yes you! Remember me? I sometimes post n...
Amen! Nothing rivals just being in an unspoiled environment without the invasiveness of other people around.
ReplyDeleteThat's why I want to be a professional writer when I grow up... I don't want to have to answer to somebody else, I'd rather it always JUST be me. I also want to take long trips to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico... look it up, I think you'd like it, talk about endless summer :)
I wish you luck, and I'm sure that one day you will find exactly what you're looking for!
Thank you!! I will certainly try. I hope you do too. I know you're at that age when people no doubt are pressuring you to accept "reality" meaning "just go to college and get a job already!" and probably you will have to do that for a while till your writing takes off, but don't let it take over your whole life. It's so easy for that reality to just swamp you. Just keep writing and trying and when you get rejected, as you sometimes will, don't give up. Just do it. You write better than most people twice your age in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteAnd I am TOTALLY looking up San Miguel de Allende. I love Mexican stuff.
ReplyDeleteI'm always saying "There's got to be a better way." It's so sad so many people go through life so unhappy.
ReplyDeleteYou forgot to add that you wanted me as your neighbor. What the hell am I paying you for anyway :)
ReplyDeleteGreat post.
All right, so I had to look up what canola was. The word summoned up a vague image of either a type of cigar or possibly some sort of chocolate dessert. I see I was wrong, and the phrase ‘canola filled prairies’ now makes sense.
ReplyDeleteI wish you find what you desire and freedom is one of the best things to desire in life. btw....San Miguel de Allende is magnificent.
ReplyDeleteRed: I know, sad but true.
ReplyDeleteSuze: I thought that went without saying??? I mean you're the "entertainment clause".
Simon: Oh MY, you were thinking of scrumptuous Italian dessert canoli, which would be an awesome sort of field in its own right (sort of a field you dream about!) but yes, I did mean the yellow canolA - that which canola oil comes from.
Miss Tart: I'm sure it's fabulous! I am checking it out now. I expect severe pangs of longing afterwards. :)
Veggie I'm glad you wrote this because I share some similar views and I like hearing it from someone else. I hate staying stagnant and missing out on the rest of the world.
ReplyDeleteI don't necessarily hate my job (I own 2 super successful companies), but it does tie me down incredibly. I do have plans to hopefully sell them both off in maybe 5 years and do A LOT of traveling. I want to do a partial circumnavigation sailing as well.
One thing though, I don't mind the winter for a little bit, its nice to see the seasons change, but only for a bit. I hope you do get to realize all of your wishes to see and be where you want!
Great great stuff! It is all about freedom. While my current job offers me more freedom than the average person, I'm greedy. I want complete autonomy. I want to be free from the need to obtain an income. I am not one of these people who doesn't retire from their job even when they're able to because they don't know what they'd do with themselves. Screw that! I'd retire as soon as I possibly could. I don't equate retirement with laziness. I have tons of things I would do and places I would go.
ReplyDeleteI agree! If someone can afford to retire while still young I'd say go for THAT! I mean who wouldn't love the time to just potter around doing things they actually enjoy all day long and spending their time going places that interest them with people they enjoy? I am trying to simplify my life so that some type of relative freedom can occur without me having to be rich to achieve it. I don't care about being rich, I just want to have ENOUGH, you know?
ReplyDeleteWhat a well thought out post. I agree once you have all the basics covered for the rest of your life, there is no point in amassing more just for the sake of running up the score.
ReplyDeleteThat... is a retarded waste of time.
In the past few years I'm to the point where I'm just enjoying everything without any debt or mortgage, traveling the world and making art out of rare stones. Living every day doing what you like is the way to go.
I know it's cliche (too lazy to put the accent so I'll type all this in an expository manner instead), but you should own your possessions and not have your possessions owning you.
I just want to get paid to write, wank and eat muffins. Is that really too much to ask?
ReplyDeleteIt's an awesome dream! I hope to retire soon, drive the country in a Winnebago then ship myself (and the Winnebago) to some other country... rinse/repeat.
ReplyDeleteCause how awesome would that be?
My full-time job in corporate America almost killed me. It was crushing my soul, my spirit. I'm working full-time as a writer now, working towards publication. I sit home with my cats in a quiet house and write. I couldn't be happier.;-)
ReplyDeleteAwww, lovely contemplativeness.
ReplyDeleteI'm the total opposite, I crave nesting & stability & routine... but still with the loved one by my side.
I'd like that too. And the freedom to travel as I please with no worries.
ReplyDeleteYes I know what you mean! You have to have enough money to somewhat comfortably enjoy freedom but it's not necessary to have zillions.
ReplyDeleteEric: I think you're a perfect example of doing what you want. You have yourself at a point where you don't owe anything and can spend your time doing the things you WANT to do without needing the extra money for bills/mortgages etc. It's awesome.
ReplyDeleteMLS: I like your dreams. I mean the way I feel right now muffins are a pretty good reason to do ANYTHING. :) Just don't do the wanking and muffin eating at the same time. Wait, that sounded totally wrong. Or did it?
F: It sounds awesome to me and similar to my plans actually! There's so much to see, it has to be done.
DLS: Good for you, I'm sure you are a more relaxed person now you're free of the bullshit. I too have spent the past few years in Corporate America and although I didn't hate my jobs there I didn't like them either. No room for expression. Good luck with your books!
Soda: Well that's still my point. Everyone's different and it should be about living on YOUR terms, which for you is stability. Nothing wrong with that. Plus how boring would it be if we all were the same?
Mr. C: Yep, just be able to live without worry, that's all I want. And afford margaritas when I want them. Awesome!
I refuse to do corporate-anything. I just can't. Wonderful post...many similar thoughts twirl around this ol' head on a regular basis, but you have a prettier way of wording them.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more! I wrote a blog entry: "My Vanilla Phobia" that parallels everything you say. I realized my fear has always been to live a "vanilla" or "insipid" life... I also want to wake up every morning knowing that yesterday I did something wonderful for someone. So I decided to drop everything I know and move away to start grad school next year. I'm done searching and I'm just going to go for it!!! :))))
ReplyDeleteInky: I said that very same thing myself then decided to do it for a while - it was never a permanent thing for me although I did it far more years than I'd have preferred. I just am not a corporate person. I don't dress corporate or think corporate so for me it was always exasperating to watch the world work in ways foreign to me!
ReplyDeleteCindy: Good for you! You're the only one who can decide what's right for you, so do it. I'm not knocking regular 9-5 existences at all - for some people they're the ideal and that's more than fine. It's just that not everyone's the same so people should figure out what works for them and if it's feasible. Life's too short.
Firstly, what an interesting blog!
ReplyDeleteI am glad I chanced by.
Secondly, this post mirrors my views very closely. I am of the opinion that happiness comes through freedom. Working for others is indeed a depressing way to spend most of one's life.
Finally, do stop by The Village Idiot sometime.
Cheers!
-Sandy
Yes, yes, yes!!! Delightful post!
ReplyDeleteSpent about 6 years gadding about the world with little interest in settling anyway. Have been 'stationary' now for about 2 years, ye ole ties of love'll do that. Happy where I am, but oh for the call of new horizons! Thought it was just a phase, but honesty dont think am ever going to recover from this 'itchy-feet-itis'. So nice to see a fellow sufferer, wonder if there's creme for this..?
Oh Veg, posts like these are why I love you so very much. Like you, it hurts when I realise that the majority of people around me are living lives they're just not happy with, and that they feel too paralysed by their circumstances to really do anything about it. Life really is too short to be spending a lot of time doing things that don't make us feel good.
ReplyDeleteFor me, spending time with people I adore, working and studying so I can devote my life to helping others, reading anything and everything, and appreciating the natural world around me are all I really need to feel truly free and happy. And like you, I want the person I love to be right there with me every step of the way.
Thank you so very much for this beautifully-written post. I hope you find your endless summer very soon.
i want all the same things and have an idea of how to get it. want to be the person i love to share it with?
ReplyDeletewhat you wrote in this post is something all of us have mulled over at one point or another.. I often wonder whether the money owns us or do we own the money? (in fact I have a draft version of a post on this).. very well written post.. BTW, I am going to be checking my lotto ticket soon - may be I'll win and I can quit my job.. haha..
ReplyDeleteI swear, if I could have all the money I wanted for travel, I could live on like 20K a year for everything else.
ReplyDeleteSigh.
Well, well, well, look at you being all insightful and deep and making me think first thing in the morning. ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a kid, I imagined I'd be an artist and a writer when I grew up, and that I would be free and go wherever I wanted to go and do whatever I wanted to do. Even as a teenager, that's what I wanted. My friends were all plotting which careers to take on so they could be rich and have expensive cars, and it just seemed so sad to me. I mean, even my little sister - she loved cooking and wanted to be a chef, but wanted to "make a shitload of money" first and then go be a chef later in life, so she became an accountant, thinking she'd get filthy rich doing that.... and she hates her job every damn day.... and even though she makes probably five times as much money as I do, she's not rich at all, all her money goes into her house which is falling apart around her... and she's miserable and feels trapped.
No, I'm not a writer nor an artist, true, but as a nanny I do have a lot more freedom than a lot of other people do. We can go anywhere and do anything. Hell, I can wear my pjs all day if I wanna! It pays practically nothing, but I get by just fine, and I much prefer the freedom and the lack of stress to the big paycheck that comes with being tied down at a "normal" job.
Sandy: Hi! Yes, I agree, happiness is definitely more important to me than having vast quantities of money and doing something I hate. I mean I acknowledge we all have to do something we hate sometimes, but we don't have to make it our whole lives. It's absurd we spend most of our life working instead of enjoying.
ReplyDeleteJude: Me too! I did some serious travelling then afterwards I was happy to be home in my own bed. For about two weeks. Then I was ready to go again. And I've never felt like I want to be in one place, since! I keep thinking one day I'll find a place that's the one and stay. And maybe I will. I just haven't found it yet.
Hey The Girl!!! Haha, yes check me out being all serious. It's ok though, I took my temperature and I feel normal. For me anyway. :) How you doing??? I'm happy you're living on your terms. You have so much figured out. I'm always in awe.
Claire: Oh yes. Can you imagine the chaos if that happened? World be afraid!
Li: Goddamn, me too. Wouldn't that be nice!? I envy people who just travel constantly and work here and there while they do it and get by. I think you can do more on little money than people think if you keep things simple. There's always compromise you know?
Cora: Well you are 100 times happier than a lot of people and it proves that money isn't the reason. I mean I'm sure you wouldn't sniff at a little more of it now and then but ultimately you don't wake up each day dreading work and being overly stressed about things that don't matter, so if you ask me, you have it made! And you are a writer and an artist - you don't have to be world famous to say it, you just ARE! :)
I did all of those things for several years and LOVED it!
ReplyDeleteNow, I nest (in my own weird quiet way) and I love this too, but I wouldn't have if I hadn't done the other stuff first.
Endless summer is out there. When you find it (and you will) I'll lend you my sunscreen.
I want to wake up in harmony with the world and myself.
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful Veggie. And I think freedom of movement, spirit, and mind are really critical. I remember sitting in a friend's kitchen once with his whole family as we all joked and laughed about these great adventures we were having. I looked at his mom and asked her, what about you...do you feel like you have really lived your life. And she got very serious and looked at me and said "no." It was such a sad moment and I vowed, I hope to never look back at my life and say the same.
Endless summer...bravo.
The other day my mother and I were sitting in her screened in porch, while the rain pounded the windows, talking about the very same subject. She burst out with a "Fuck that, Money does buy happiness!"
ReplyDeleteNow my mom is suffereing from a pretty serious disease and we spend most of our time trying to joke about it rather than let the misery drag us down. I don't usually write with sentamantily on my blog- partly because family members read it- but something about this post struck a cord.
What she meant by her wording was exactly what you get at here. It buys freedom. Money would buy her the freedom to use the best doctors- as her insurance plan doesn't jive with the best-, stop working, travel, help out others, and generally make the most out of her time. All of this would serve to help her fight the disease in the best possible way.
I have learned the hard way how short life is and all I can say is that I intend to try and seek the very same thing that you are seeking. Because you just never know. I hope you find it!
And I hope you do too. And that your mom is doing ok. And she's right, people who say money doesn't buy happniess are fools. Money INDEED buys you freedom to pursue your dreams. People who say that are doing it wrong. The fact your mom would need to be rich to afford the best healthcare is LUDICROUS. How can we live in that world? Everyone should get the maximum care they require for a healthy life. Money should not even be a factor.
ReplyDeleteI meant to say also that it was a great post! Ahh Veg Ass. You complete me.
ReplyDeleteJenny: I just got your comment now, WTH!?
ReplyDeleteIt's sad about your friend's mom. I think our mothers' generations and earlier never had the chances we do to travel and live. Especially the women maybe. My mom is making up for it now by going all over the world and enjoying retirement. I know she wishes she'd done a lot of it earlier too.
Love the painting. LOVE, I say. Can't wait to see the finished product.
ReplyDeleteOh, Jack. Allowances for you actually being at the beach and all, but please put a shirt on soon.
Aw bless poor Jack and his wobby flesh puppies. He IS elderly after all. And having so much fun. He's allowed to need a bra after all the entertaining he's done, that's what I say.
ReplyDeleteThanks about the painting. See, I did do it after we spoke. No procrastination at all!
Um...something ain't right here... wrong entry I think, DUMBASS. Says me, who responded. :) HI!
ReplyDeleteCheck my blog out. You've won something.
ReplyDeleteMr London Street (the muffin eating wanker) sent me here. And he was right to.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Love this.
I love London. It is in my blood, and I feel bonded to the city in a way that can't broken. Until now. I read your post... And suddenly, the prospect of travelling with the person I love, seeing far away and beautiful places... suddenly that sounds like exactly what I want.
ReplyDeleteMLS: I'm singing "EVERYONE'S A WINNER BABEH..." then I get all ashamed because it's disco...oops. THANK YOU. It's funny. I so rarely write a serious post then when I do people are all nice about it. Usually, as you know, I just excel at being a wise ass. Part defense mechanism as you said, part because I AM A WISE ASS. Thank you again. :)
ReplyDeleteBaglady: He's my pimp. He takes a percentage. But doesn't he look great in that fedora? :) Thank you for coming!
Maisie: I saw a movie filmed in 1967 London. I want London to be like THAT. So retro and nostalgic and full of crazy hipster hair. I spent a lot of time in London myself as a teen and have many awesome memories of it. But really, I'm over living in the city I think and into the wide open spaces. If you'd asked me back then I'd have balked at the idea of NOT living in the city. Crazy! :)
Great post. But, to my eternal damnation, it took Mr London Street to get me to come over here. And I say that because you're one of the top names on all of the bloggers that I read. And now you're on mine.
ReplyDeleteTennyson: I think you must hang out with some reprobates then. :) Well I know you do because I only hang out with reprobates. Actually I've seen you all over the place and keep meaning to drop by. I am so damn slow though. Now I have no excuse! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful and wistful post. Your writing is beautiful but, moreso, the force behind your writing is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYour yearning for true freedom really struck a chord with me. I've ducked the house, ducked the mortgage, ducked the marriage, but can't seem to duck the constraints that make me wake up every morning and go to work. I know that you will find endless summer. It exists somewhere. It just needs to be uncovered. And I hope you will share your secrets with us when you find it.
Hey Hannah! Thank you, I hope you're right. I hope we all find it. I've ducked a lot of that stuff too, deliberately, but everyone's the same you know? You need to live therefore there are always some constraints, the trick is finding a way to make them the minority part of your life and the good stuff the majority. I think we can do it. I really do.
ReplyDeleteI think we all want that "one day". Sad truth is I feel more a slave every day that goes by.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean! But I suppose the more responsibilities you have, the more that will happen too. Maybe someone will figure out a way to make a five day weekend and a two day work week then at least the balance will switch to FUN! :) No pay cut of course. I'm all about the fantasy.
ReplyDeleteI am so thankful to have the job that I have. It makes me sad that some people don't like their jobs, but then when I think about it, we ALL can't be successful doctors, actors, singers, dancers, writers, ice cream flavor testers etc. And it makes me more aware of the people I work with, not just the people in the lab, but the security guards, the techs, the lady who has to autoclave all of our glassware. So even if the job isn't all that glamorous, I try to be a friendly colleague because if the work place is great, then the job doesn't feel so horrible/boring.
ReplyDeleteIf it was possible, I'd definitely love to live forever in the summertime. I miss LA. San Francisco is nice, but I miss the sun.
I agree, most jobs would be improved a lot if people just like their coworkers and the atmosphere at work. That's a big start. Liking the actual job AND your coworkers is even better!
ReplyDeleteI love SFO but then both times I've been there the weather was FANTASTIC so I didn't get the usual foggy, chillier SF days. :) LA's weather would suit me better I think. Now that weather in SFO would be perfect!
I wouldn't mind spending my final years couped up on an island like marlon brando, minus the crushing obesity.
ReplyDeleteDepends on the island I'd say. Tropical paradise, yes. Volcanic hell hole, not so much!
ReplyDelete