Maybe five if you’re Speidi…. Six even. Seven on a day with a “y” in it.
But do you know what else is stupid? Google. Google is sort of a frenemy to me. We have a love/hate relationship. I seem to have acquired its many goods and services without blinking, but suddenly they all CONNECT and it’s freaking me out, man.
First I had Gmail. Gmail’s good, right? A logical email program that keeps all your related threads in one email, instead of having 20 emails on the same subject cluttering up your inbox like unwanted Menudo songs in your head.
After this I got the Google Reader. Makes sense. Keeps all my reading material in one convenient place and lets me know when all you glorious bastards update your blogs. Sure, it takes its own sweet time about it, but it works.
Later, I broke up with my fiance, Firefox, who was just taking too long to do anything, so I downloaded the speedy Google Chrome, totally on the rebound.
Then of course, there’s Blogger. Blogger also links to Google. You can log in with your Google account.
Now it’s getting a little confusing. Bear in mind, my brain’s the size of a gnat’s ass, so maybe it’s just me. Now if I log into Gmail, I am automatically logged in to the Reader AND Blogger. It’s like a giant conspiracy of convenience.
HOWEVER, one day I noticed that the Google Reader has little built in thingies I hadn’t messed with before. Like a profile.
Naturally I had to pimp mine up just a touch by adding some of my high-class illustrations. So I clicked the “add photos” button, expecting a box to pop up asking where on my computer these photos were.
Instead, it was an action which lead me to the King of Stupid – Picasa. Until this moment, I didn’t know Picasa had a goddamn thing to do with Google OR Blogger. I didn’t know that the fact I have a Blogger-Google account meant I also, by default, have a Picasa account.
I mean what’s next? I go for a “Wendy’s sandwich and find out I need my Gmail password to get anything vaguely “waaaaay delicious”?!
I noticed (because I didn’t come down in the last storm) that there were already several albums installed in my Picasa account and they were teaming with photos and illustrations – mostly stuff I’d posted in my blogs or graphics I’d made and not used. So I thought “When you add a photo to your blog it must save a copy in here too, in case you want to have a little photo album!”
And I thought, “Isn’t that nice of them?”
And I thought, “Bless their kind little Googly hearts!”
Then I thought, “What’s the point in having all this shit cluttering up my account when all that stuff is already in BLOGGER?!?!”
Yup. You already see where this is going, don’t you?
I DELETED EVERYTHING IN PICASA. Every photo in that fucking account.
Yesterday morning I get up and check something on my Photo blog. A blog comprising only of photographs, I should add. And what do you know? There’s my blog right where it should be. Only is there one, single, solitary, stinking photo anywhere?
NO THERE IS NOT.
And I realize that all those pics you upload to your blog? They don’t get stored in Blogger’s memory or cache, oh no. They are hosted by PICASA. Which I just DELETED.
Yes.
This made me laugh and laugh.
(No it didn’t. It made me say a bad word and punch a pillow.)
“Alles gut!” as they say in Deutschland.
And all WAS good. Until I came over here to respond to a comment and found - what a SHOCKER - there are no photos or illustrations over here either. NOT ONE. And you know me, I’m all about the photos and illustrations! And about 50% of them are stupid web photos I have no copies of!
I know!!! Isn’t it great?
Needless to say I was underwhelmed with delight. And it took THREE HOURS to re-acquire and re-publish everything with the photos back in. I sulked the whole time and it’s entirely possible that I might have called Google/Blogger/Picasa a “pigfucker”.
And now I’m getting it off my chest.
dude, first of all let me say i am so, very, super amused by this, i may or may not have been jarred out of my scowly mood towards chuck and just talked to him about the hilarity of this post (forgetting my vow of silence that he hadn't known i had taken). you've saved yet another relationship. i hope you're happy with yourself.
ReplyDeletefurthermore, that sucks BALLS! and i can so imagine this happening to me. but it didn't and now i know! and knowing is half the battle. g.i. joe. (do you have g.i. joe up there? poor canadians and your lack of joe. i assume. poor, silly, deprived, courteous canadians.)
I like your chest.
ReplyDeleteI also like slap-chopping your chest.
Like Vince.
Whose life isn't boring now that he's got a Slap-Chopper - HEEYAH!
Yay, you mean I have super relationship healing powers??? Yet I can't maintain a blog with PHOTOS!? How is that possible? :) Haha I Laughed at your secret vow of silence. How can anyone possibly be mad at you?
ReplyDeleteGod: Dude... Vince has NEVER slap chopped my chest and never will. Unless I take to the street. And become a lady of the night.
ReplyDeleteVince, you damn rag vendor, stop lurking on my TV!
ReplyDeletethat sucks!!! and as i read your blog i realized i spelled bear as bare on my blog today. just before i wrote of my lack of tolerance for ignorance. genius.
ReplyDeletefirefox is so much better than google chrome. I tried chrome and my whole computer shit the bed. When you add pics to your blog upload them to a different site like photobucket or flickr (which I'm begining to think is evil) and then use their HTML code for the pic and paste it into your post, or write your own code if you're that special, then you won't have this ugly picasa issue.
ReplyDeletePS google is taking over the world it is evil, and it won't let me uplaod a swf file!
Juan: I know, he thinks he's Jesus. He's everywhere!
ReplyDeleteClaire: Hahahaha! It happens to us all. Sure makes you feel like a retard though.
Val: Chrome is a million times faster than Firefox though. I prefer it on the whole.
As for the pix, I use Windows Live Writer for all my posts and it will hurt my head uploading that crap all over the place. :) I just won't delete Picasa stuff from now on. Stupid thing.
Good to hear you sorted it out, even if painstakingly.
ReplyDeleteI keep all my blog backed up in the extra memory on my router, so it will be that much closer to the internet for uploading in case of mishaps. Of course, I can never turn my router off.
Sometimes, it's also fun to re-input the contents of your registry by hand in case of trouble, just sayin.
Your mother should have told you the parable of the meddling monkey who kept sticking his fingers in places he didn't need to. The Moon landings were definitely NOT a hoax. I have proof.
ReplyDeleteAhhh, the joys of Google. Personally I find Gmail and Google extremely slow to load even on a somewhat fast computer. What's up with that mess? Isn't Google suppose to be all powerful?
ReplyDeletePicasa? I had never heard of this (seemingly evil) contraption before today.
I've never even heard of picasa, so presumably would've done exactly what you did and deleted them all if I found it.
ReplyDeleteI probably would've gone for 'trampwank' over 'pigfucker' though....
You reposted all of your posts with the pictures. Damn. I don't think I have that erm fighting power in me. I'm a quitter. I would just have shut up shop and taken up a new hobby.
ReplyDeleteThat is just the sort of thing I can imagine doing myself, though it would probably have taken me a few days to work out what had happened.
ReplyDeleteRegarding Valerie’s comment, so long as you only intend showing the images within Blogger, you may as well stick to Picasa – but if you want them to appear elsewhere, you’re in trouble, as they don’t allow remote linking.
For this reason I tried Photobucket – which I found removes any images with women’s nipples showing. Even the one of Anne Hathaway with a slightly see-through top. Then I tried Flickr, ignoring their requirement that you use their code that links any images back to their site, preventing you from creating linked images to anywhere else… only to find that they don’t allow images above 1024 pixels wide/high.
As I say, stick to Picasa if you’re only using them in your blog – though I do understand you may not be as bothered by the nipples restriction as I am.
Eric: I just assume that when you post a picture in your blog that you've uploaded to Blogger that it's Blogger who is storing it, not someone else like Picasa, who I only knew till then as an alternative to Flickr that a lot of people use to host personal photos to share with friends. I assumed everything on Picasa was a copy of what I'd uploaded to Blogger, not the ONLY copy.:)
ReplyDeleteGB: I know they weren't. I can't believe people actually think they WERE a hoax. People just like to find conspiracies I suppose. You have proof you say? Does this mean you were the first monkey type thing in space?
Yolanda: Really? That's funny. I find it super fast to load. Chrome zips through everything. Firefox is slow as molasses. Although plenty people find Firefox to be zippy. Weird huh? I used Firefox for years till it started taking so long to even open.
Red Squirrel: Haha, I'd heard of it and knew what it was, but had no idea it was linked to the whole Google/Blogger fiasco. Once I figured that out, I didn't know it was the program hosting my images. It's so confusing. My head hurts!
Sid: Well I use Windows Live Writer to upload entries, so I recalled the entries in there and reinserted the images then republished them. I didn't do the WHOLE blog, just the last month or two. I get offended by all those missing image icons. :)
Simon: For a while I was using Blogger to host images for other places, just using the Blogger URL for each photo and it worked fine. Then it stopped working. I was messing around with the template code one day and couldn't figure out why, whenever I tried to link to a photo using a Blogger URL it just refused to acknowledge it. So infuriating! The whole Photobucket thing is laughable. I understand censorship if you're talking about nasty child porn or bestiality or universally offensive content like that, but basic nudity or the like? Get over it Photobucket. It's really trying to PG the world. Sort of like TV. I don't know what it's like in the UK now but over here there's a disclaimer before practically EVERY show warning of viewer discretion. Ridiculous!
I can completely understand your fear of/anger with our supreme Google overlords on this one. It freaked me out so badly when I first realised just exactly how much of my stuff was all connected across the Googlesphere in a highly incestuous way - and I'd never even given a second thought to Picasa until now. The fact that Google has all this linky power makes me deeply uncomfortable in a lot of not-so-fun ways, but I just can't help being seduced by the ease of it all... It's lazy biatches like me who are starting the slippery slope towards complete and total Google domination, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteGlad you got it all sorted out though. I would cry bitter tears into my Earl Grey if some of your illustration-y goodness was lost forever due to a very understandable Picasa freakout. (Oh, and I love your new little profile pic, darling Veggie. It's so utterly charming! You, my dear, are wonderful.)
Miss Girl: You and me BOTH. We are Google's bitches. :) It should be so lucky.
ReplyDeleteYes the world would be a poorer place without my top notch drawing skills. No five year old could pull those off AT ALL. Hahaha!
Little profile me is appropriate as she looks baffled as holy hell, which sums me up really!
Now go get some rest, woman.
Oh crap! I've done that too... had no idea that's where blogger was hosting my photos. It would be NICE if they had mentioned that maybe once!
ReplyDeleteYou can always tell them to Eff off and start hosting on Flickr. I actually think it's a better program when it comes to quality of photos. They provide bloggy code for every photo/illo you upload.
If you're not sure how to do it, shoot me an email. (You can find that on my blog.)
I thought Picasa went the way of the Dodo. I used that when I first started my blog, 4 years ago. Then Blogger made it easy to just upload shit right from your computer. I've not heard a thing about Picasa, but I will have to make sure I don't make it angry.
ReplyDeleteAnd I can't believe you called the Slap Chop stupid. Next thing you know, you'll be saying that the "Graty" isn't a fantastic product.
When Google attains sentience we're all going to be fucked.
ReplyDeleteAnd not in a good way.
The same thing happened to me, and it really fucking pissed me off! Luckily, it was early in the game and I had very few readers. But now I've found that I can't even take off the gidget that links to Picasa from my blog or I'll lose all my pictures that way, also!
ReplyDelete"Pigfucker" is definitely the go-to swear word! In fact, I just used it again when my comment was initially rejected ... which always happens over here for some strange reason -- because I AM ALREADY LOGGED INTO GOOGLE!!!
ReplyDeleteBeck: You know what, I would LIKE the slap chop AND the Graty. I would. They look sort of awesome. It's just their NAMES that are stupid. I actually think the Graty looks much more fun than a regular grater. I'm terrible at grating cheese.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, Picasa's been around forever, but I had no idea it was affiliated with Blogger or Google!
oooh that's painful - I also knew nothing about Picasa.
ReplyDeleteI'll have a Graty too (we miss out on that guy over here)
Robin: I'm pretty good with code and the like, but I'm ok with the Picasa thing now that I KNOW why they're linked and that the pics are there for a reason. We could just have been TOLD, you know? :)
ReplyDeleteSoda: This is very true. They're going for evil monopolistic dictatorship. :)
Fancy: I'm happy I'm no the only one. Idiots! You just assume Blogger has your photos and didn't pimp them out to a third party. Grrrr.
DJ: I don't know what that's about! It IS a weird template though, I've had to override tons of things and rewrite things that weren't working etc. but I guess it all comes down to browser in the end or something...
Lulu: Haha you're lucky. He's "Vince" the ShamWow guy who now advertises the Slap-Chop/Graty combo. Now he's almost a celeb he's upped the ante a little by making the commercial more insane and a little slutty. Plus he got busted a while back for punching a prostitute in some hotel so you know...man is comedy gold. And looks totally sleazy.
ReplyDeleteGood to know. I knew my bloggy pics were in Picasa, but, like you, I thought they were mere copies. I didn't know Picasa was the bloggy picture pimp. Yeeesh.
ReplyDeleteI know, scary isn't it? Don't delete anything!!!
ReplyDeletegood lawd! (visiting from Deb's place, by the way)...
ReplyDeleteI found that out myself - luckily, I hadn't deleted but my profile photo and a couple of other little things.....geez.....
but your post made me laugh.
Hi Kathryn! Yes thankfully you didn't delete a ton of important matters! I know one thing though. I will NEVER do it again. :) No way.
ReplyDeletehey! saw you over at lola's place.
ReplyDeletemmm. i think we're gonna be friends.
Well, I do hope so, Blunt Delivery. I also love your name. :)
ReplyDeleteI knew those fuckes were watching me.
ReplyDeleteSuze...they're watching you in the shower.
ReplyDeletei was trying to find your e-mail address but maybe i'm blind or maybe you don't have one. anyway i wanted to tell you that i love your blog, and that post wasn't about you at all, you have the perfect mix of illustrations and awesome!!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I was messing with you! :) If I thought that I wouldn't have commented.
ReplyDeleteI loved Picasa too, but the love is getting old and we're now fighting over the popcorn box a lot. Arsing thing as stopped automatically uploading new pics, Ive to practically forcefeed it. *sigh*
ReplyDeleteExcellent blog, by the way. I was afraid it'd be ALL about veggies. Not that Ive anything against veggies, just theyre so bloody didactic.
Oh and canary yellow VW van pic made me want to smooch my screen, not that I did of course *hasty wipe with sleeve*
Jude: Haha. yes I write about veggies ALL THE TIME. Or never. I don't know.
ReplyDeleteIsn't the van just the most adorable thing you ever saw? It's like when people get all squirmy with delight looking at babies - with me it's vans. And maybe kittens and puppies. I'm not made of stone.
Oh noes...
ReplyDeleteGoogle scares me just a little bit (well, actually, a lot) But it's like crack. I can't seem to stop.
ReplyDeleteAnd of all the German words I know- that is NOT what I would have picked. Mine would have quite possibly been verboten on the interwebs.
;)
Wendy: Oh yes.
ReplyDeleteKim: ha, yes I would expect no less of you. Germans have such great sounding words. I'm sure you could come up with something stunning.
Oh that makes me wonder about a back up on my stuff. Thanks for this post. I would have called those suckers worse than a pig fucker.
ReplyDeleteStrangely enough, I deleted an old picture from Picasa this morning and a little box popped up before I did it asking if I was sure as it would be removed from my blog! WTH?!
ReplyDeleteOhhh...this is bad. UGH! Thanks for the heads up. I promise you I would do more than hit a pillow and say Frak. I think you handled it quite well.
ReplyDelete"Frak" Might not have been the ACTUAL word I used... :) But yes, it was aggravating for SURE. Don't do it. No really, don't.
ReplyDeleteUgh, that's horrifically frustrating and yet amusing becuase it's not me. But it will be. Oh it will be.
ReplyDeleteI have one more question. Will there be make-up sex?
Lola: I sincerely doubt that as Picasa no longer has a penis. :) That'll teach him.
ReplyDeleteson of a bitch i'm late to comment.
ReplyDeletedoes google chrome really work better than firefox?
I will thank you a google times if the answer is yes.
Well, in all fairness, Firefox is a pretty kick ass browser and "me loved it long time" but it just suddenly started taking forever to load and being clunky so I figured I'd try Chrome and now I've been using it exclusively for about six months, I like it a lot. It's way faster in my opinion and loads quickly. Has some minor quirky behaviour but nothing really annoying and you can do pretty much the same with it that you can with Firefox. It's just not everything supports it yet so occasionally you get something that doesn't quite work although honestly that's happened to me maybe twice ever so...
ReplyDeleteWow, that sucks a TON! It must've taken hours to fix! I would've definitely said something a little worse than FRAK! Haha.
ReplyDeleteWow, Picasa no longer has the equipment. That was a little aggressive. Funny but aggressive. I heart you Veg.
ReplyDeleteTaylor: Yes, many colourful words erupted from me, most of which you can't say on TV even in hell!
ReplyDeleteLola: It is THE GOOGLE'S fault. It made me mad!
Don't mean to be mean... but am a mean little techie from the same alien techie kingdom where all the googlies work and come up with ideas that make your life so nice, or so miserable as in this casse, the place where the google, the microsoft and other invasions on humanity are usually planned. Moral of the story, if a software does something by default, like create a Picasa album, dont use your own brains to try to counter it. Use the thumb rule. The software is always smarter than you. ALWAYS. And if you dont believe me watch Matrix. Or maybe I can tell you that I am not a human being, I am a software. And can blog. And comment on blogs. And be mean. Ha, Made you think didnt it. That was a retalaiation for telling me my fly's undone. Once again didnt mean to be mean, but this one I couldnt resist giving the unsolicited advice. In my world we wonder when we make a software "are there really people who try to go against the default actions because they think they are smarter?" Now I have the answer :)
ReplyDeleteDamn, I just read half your comments (and then lost stamina, I hate popular blogs like these, because even when there is good reading material ther is too much of it (Try reading http://merlins-world.blogspot.com/2009/07/blogging-behaviors.html)) and realized this is a whole conspiracy that you are planning. And maybe I should best stay out of it. I like the term Google Bitches. Maybe I should propose it at the next meeting. But what do I call the guys then?
ReplyDeleteHmmm Merlin, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying man - there's nothing wrong with any of the software it's that it all connects and that most of the time people don't realize that things like Picasa are part of Blogger or Google therefore, get confused when suddenly they're directed there.
ReplyDeleteAs for popular blogs - I don't really think 40 followers constitutes "popular" more just a bunch of people who get along?
The vegetable assassin is my favorite blog. Google is my favorite search engine. Therefore the vegetable assassin must be google and google is popular so that means vegetable assassin must also be popular.
ReplyDeleteI like your warped logic there, C. It's almost like I paid you to say that. (cheque's in the mail, dude)
ReplyDeleteThanks veggie, I hope its in loonies.
ReplyDeleteIt might not be IN loonies, but it's certainly FROM one. :)
ReplyDelete