Then one day you look in the mirror and you think, “Is it possible that I have gravely misread the situation and I am actually a complete TOOL?” And you panic and buy something that isn’t black and dye your hair a colour that IS found in nature and find other ways to express yourself that don’t involve frowning in a hostile manner at people with perms who listen to the Top 40 for their incredible lack of imagination or taste.
Although, you know, those people do need a reality check. Who gets a perm nowadays? Did they not see pictures from the ‘80s? Did no one learn ANYTHING?
Sometimes when I’m driving somewhere I see groups of sullen teens congregating on a corner somewhere, poutily checking their iPhones and peering out from behind their giant Emo fringes and inch thick eyeliner and I want to open the window and yell, “Enjoy it now kid because tomorrow? You will be wearing a suit and talking about 401Ks and wearing HEELS and worrying about your lipstick matching your shirt and how to pay your rent. You will look back at photos of you from today and you will think, ‘Wow, when was I in a Tim Burton movie?’ and you will wonder what the hell you were so miserable about when your biggest problem was your mom objecting to you getting black dye on her favourite towels.” And then I will twist the knife by shouting, “I was like you once and look at me now!” and if they never contemplated suicide before, they surely will after that.
Oh my, you did it again! I love it! So funny!
ReplyDeleteOh you flatterer, you! But I'll take it. I need to boost my not so cool ego. :)
ReplyDeletehahahahahahaha cheer up, little emos!
ReplyDeleteYeah, a smile won't crack your porcelain white skin, emo kid! :)
ReplyDeleteyou are too funny.. the picture at the end was just icing on the cake..
ReplyDeleteOh God.
ReplyDeleteThat's was/is me, too.
Miss OT: I'm still trying to decide if it's male or female. I thought male but now I think it's a girl. Either way, it's perfect. :)
ReplyDeleteHaha the EX cool kid or the current emo kid?!?!
ReplyDeleteAnd ask to borrow their phone...lol...lol..
ReplyDeleteThat was good. Must say I have said it to my pink haired daughter and got the classic eye roll.
Thanks for the laugh (hope you heal ok)
xx
Ha, well you can't really tell the kids anything they want to hear. I'm pretty sure 16 year old me threw out more than my share of eyerolls when my parents were dissing my hair yet again. I just thought, "You are old and know nothing, shut up!" :)
ReplyDeleteGod how I miss my teens. I hate that I worry about car payments. I hate that even after 4 years of uni, 4 years of work experience I still can't afford a house. Fuck it!
ReplyDeleteSomehow, VA, I can't see you all gothed out. And now you're not cussing. Next thing you know, you will be wearing pearls and pumps and greeting your honey at the door wearing an apron.."Hello dear, how was your day?" Visions of June Cleaver.
ReplyDeleteNow that would be good reason for hari kari.
Yeah living in the real world SUCKS! :) You'll get there. The worry's there to stay however. There's always something to worry about as an adult. It's SO unfair!
ReplyDeleteHaha PY, NO I WILL NOT. Pearls and pumps are just not me. I am never going to be "a lady" really. It's just not a gene I have. :)
ReplyDeleteHappened upon this blog - very funny stuff. I can't pull off "cool" like I used to (think I did).
ReplyDeleteKC: Oh I think we're all cooler than we think. Let's go with that theory anyway. For the sake of our sanity. :) And welcome!
ReplyDeleteShit... I was meant to leave that phase?
ReplyDeleteWell there's no law says you can't be COOL FOREVER! (Yes there is)
ReplyDeleteOh this is great! I love it!
ReplyDeleteComing from the girl who couldn't dye her hair pink or put safety pins in her ears or dress in all leather because her father would have kicked her Emo ass all the way to the closest jail-like boarding school (but with a pit-stop to a salon to dye my hair back).
Emo kids are one of the strangest youth movements ever.
ReplyDeleteHahaha...That picture is hilarious. I never went through that phase, but I did worry about stupid nonsense all the time. Why?
ReplyDeleteElmo wears eyeliner?!?!?
ReplyDeleteOh.
Emo.
Nevermind.
I heart you and your tangents! The last paragraph was awesome. As you are well aware, I like going down long, winding completely unpaved roads and passing by all of those straight and sharp turns that lead to very distict and logical dead ends, because I prefer the completely, nonsensical utterly ridiculous car accidents that end up being most of my comments/conversations.
ReplyDeleteOK that made me laugh - a lot - then cry because I just noticed the photo of myself in an 80s perm.
ReplyDeleteI'm so far beyond cool, I don't even have the foggiest idea what an Emo kid is ... great post, VA!
ReplyDeleteWow!I just found you through Meatball Organic ... something or other ... and I'm just in love.
ReplyDeleteI'm so in love with your writing, that I'm not even going to take this opportunity to say something creative or poignant to try and rake some of your readers over to my blog.
No, my new sister, you're just that wonderful.
“OH MY GOD, look at that old person, she should get her eyesight checked, let’s end it all if we ever get to be like that!”
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure all the fucking hipsters in my town already say this about me.
I also had pink streaks in my hair... They hadn't quite invented emo yet but I was a big fan of really unflattering cargo pants and big boots.
you are very great at out-the-window shouting! i am impressed. additionally, i have never been cool in my entire life. THE STREAK CONTINUES!
ReplyDeleteYou paint the prettiest pictures.
ReplyDelete;-)
My ex calls my kid "Emo" because she wears Nightmare Before Christmas shirts. Yeah! My strawberry blond, cute little girl! That's cause for a punching, right?
I'm disappointed in you, Veggie. If you had any self-respect you'd bleed to death with dignity on that sidewalk before asking some punk kid for his iPhone. Tsk.
ReplyDeleteRobin: You know, in hindsight he did you a favour! :) At least you don't have the photos.
ReplyDeleteRed: Yes they are. They're a hot mess.
Brooke: It's because your hormones were telling you twelve different things at once just to mess with you. Yep, that's it.
Moooooog: Yes, Elmo is a member of "Fall Out Boy". :)
Lola: Tangents? TANGENTS? Miss, I'll have you know I take the express train to MY destination. It's not my fault it takes a detour sometimes.
Lulu: Well look at it this way. At least it wasn't a MIRROR.
S.E.S.: It's best that way. No point traumatizing yourself now. Just look away.
Sharon: Cheque's in the mail, miss. Good job. Can you say something next time about how gorgeous and witty I am please? Oh wait, I should've asked you privately. Damn! :) Thank you!
Soda: I still do the boots. Don't knock the boots. I still do the cargo pants too. Oh God you made me feel so inferior now.
Becky: You are your own little planet of cool, honey, don't you worry.
Cora: I think any cause we can find is cause for a punching of THAT guy. No???
Words: I know dude. I'm an affront to good people everywhere with my emo-caving ways. Plus think how much worse it'd be when I get the phone off them and have to ask how the hell to use it! It'd be like my mom and the VCR all over again!
Re the cargos, you probably have the thighs to carry them off. They're just not a good choice for me!
ReplyDelete: )
I'm sort of limited in the thigh department. I wanted big, curvy, flat butt thighs but no. My sister got the girly thighs.
ReplyDeleteI have a relative that is still in this phase, and it is so pathetic.
ReplyDelete.....it's YOU isn't it, Tex?
ReplyDeleteAre you joking? I have always been the opposite of emo/goth, I mock them and their woe filled pessimistic ways.
ReplyDeleteAnd why is it that those types often play the part of the 'tortured artist' when just their 'art' is just torture for the rest of us.
Hahaha! I couldn't resist. I somehow don't see you as EMO. I believe their art is scowling.
ReplyDeleteNothing like the EMO thing for me. I just remember being kind of a late blooming flower child.
ReplyDeleteNow at least that isn't too embarrassing. You didn't look like a circus clown. :)
ReplyDeleteI think I was a vintage Emo, back when eyeliner was taboo!
ReplyDeleteAs a recovering black-clad mopey little shit, this definitely resonated with me. Nice post, indeed.
ReplyDeleteAlso, not sure if you know this, but...
The Chinese prize EMO kids for the medicinal properties of their tears.
I say that all of the time... not that you said this... but anyway. Being an adult SUCKS. And NOBODY told us that. WHY?????
ReplyDeleteAlthough, I do miss high hair. I had GREAT high hair. My hair begs to go high again....BEGS. Every day. And I have to tell it, "No. It's not in again. You must wait. Be smooth. And straight."
It makes my hair sad.
I live in Salem, MA where everyone thinks they are goth. Its practically the Goth Capitol. I totally know what you are talking about!
ReplyDeleteI always assumed I was the "weird" one... until very late in life when I decided that weird is the new cool. Nice blog!
ReplyDeleteThis is exactly what I want to say to my kid's best friend. He's Eddie Haskell hiding inside an Emo haircut.
ReplyDeleteBella: Maybe you were a PRE-EMO :)
ReplyDeleteHunter: Haha, those potent emo tears. I wonder if they cure irony?
Jules: Uh huh. You are a closet country singer obviously. I mean all that big hair envy and all. Next it'll be the boobs then hello! DOLLY PARTON!
Raine: It must be that witchy connection! Goths, witches...it's all the same you know.
Charlene: I think we're all weird in our own way and I like your theory - we're all the new cool.
Miss Y: Haha, and I'm sure he'd really PAY ATTENTION if you tried. Not. It's almost more fun waiting a few years till they find out for themselves.
Man, you've summed up my getting older so beautifully. I always laugh when I see kids nowadays because I always think, 'no matter what happens kid, you can't stop getting older.' Lady Hem used to laugh at me in her twenties when I told her stuff that would happen, because she never thought it would. You always think you're going to be hip. Then you start using words like 'hip' and you realise you're not. You're cool as fuck to me.
ReplyDeleteHa, shucks I'm all blushy.
ReplyDeleteAnd I said "shucks". The fuck?!?
You hit 30 and you feel you're still relevant and "with it" then you see 16 year olds and realize you are so far from cool to them it's like another planet. And you're somehow ok with that. :)
I got a perm like every 4 months from the ages of, like 15 - 20. Then I had to stop the madness. I was somewhere the other day and I smelled what I thought to be perm solution and I wondered why, with all the technology we have today, they haven't figured out how to make perm solution that doesn't smell like piss and burned lemon juice. Or, as you said, why anyone still gets perms at all.
ReplyDeleteEven though I'm not gay and Steve would be pissed, I totally want to be your girlfriend now. That kids picture will make me giggle all fucking day long.
ReplyDeleteBeck: See it was the 80s poisoning your otherwise smart brain with its nasty hair and fashion. Even the 70s were less offensive than the 80s and that's saying something. I love in 80s movies where the lead actress always has a frizzy perm and that that was considered the "in" thing to do. Hilarious!
ReplyDeleteKim: Well I'm not gay either but I would still accept boxes of chocolates as a gift of adoration. :)
ReplyDeleteI had a root perm and a mohawk in high school and no photographic evidence to prove it.
ReplyDeleteMy grandma's comment on the root perm, "how do you get your hair to do like that baby, just not comb it?"
You're still very kewl kiddo.
It's me BTW - lady who doesn't lunch
Well of course it's you, who else would it be, crazy woman?
ReplyDeleteThe only perm I ever had was when my mom once tried to use a box of TONI on me and the result was a red 'fro. Yep. I was ART FREAKING GARFUNKEL. No teen wants to have that on their head. Never again. :)
Great post. I think every generation has their "thing" of what to go through fashionwise.
ReplyDeleteI'd say don't tell them (about the future), even though they already know!
Pantry: I think living in denial will protect them a little longer. :) They think it'll never happen to them. We all did. I'm still fighting it but it happens. Deal with it kids. Ha:)
ReplyDeleteTrue, it is not your fault that the train makes occasional stops along the way. I stand corrected!
ReplyDeleteIt's the destination that counts!
ReplyDeleteI tried to sign in anonymously from my office today - which is why I said "it's me...", but then the thingy made me sign in and I forgot that I said the "it's me" part. Um... I'm goofy.
ReplyDeletethe fonz! the way to REALLY be cool is to do all those obnoxious things as an adult in corporate america. do you guys say corporate canada? anyhow . . . love this post!
ReplyDelete