So are we all ready to learn something outstanding about Colorado? I’m sure you’ve been camped out here since Monday, trembling with excitement. Who can blame you?
Let’s get on with the titillating subject of Colorado’s claims to fame. To sum it up succinctly, it has snow and mountains and old people, the Columbine massacre and Hunter S. Thompson. The end.
You’d have to be Rocky Mountain High to sport that hairstyle
I’m not even going to mention the shirt. Oops. Just did.
Colorado is obviously famous for its snow sports and mountain resorts like Aspen and Vail, due to its hosting the state’s most famous residents, the Rocky Mountains, which take up most of the western half of the state, while plains and forest land occupy the eastern side. The Continental Divide also runs through the Rockies. I’m not sure what continents it divides exactly, but I like to imagine they’re the continents of “batshit insane” to the east and “bat-Sheen insane” to the west. See what I did there? Now who’s winning? I am.
Most of Colorado’s population lies east of the mountains – in cities like the state capital, Denver and its close northern neighbour, Boulder. Now if we can talk about Boulder for a second here. I always imagine Boulder was named by idiots. They reached the foothills of the mountains, surrounded by giant stones, started a settlement there and then thought, “Hmmm. What to name this rocky outpost… Oh I KNOW!”
Nowadays, Boulder is a liberal city, known for its generous sprinkling of patchouli scented hippies, who arrived in the 1960s and never left, the illegal substances that come with hippies and a bunch of university students, who possibly also come with illegal substances and who smell even worse than hippies. Screw all that though. Who else when they hear about Boulder, immediately thinks of Mork and Mindy?
I used to love “Mork and Mindy”. What was I thinking? Any dude that hairy who was as annoying as Mork in real life would get his ass handed to him in ten seconds.
Also a popular destination in Colorado is its second largest city, Colorado Springs. Now I COULD go and look it up on the Information Super Highway and tell you all sorts of interesting true facts about it, but I prefer to think that it was named after some very special hot springs that contain the fountain of youth, which might explain why these little Colorado residents have been nine for about fourteen years.
Lastly, you’ll be thrilled as I was to find out that a whopping 25% of Coloradans are delightfully dirty heathens, making it the highest percentage of any state we’ve covered so far. Hooray! I also like to think that fine statistic is due to the above young gentlemen and their potty mouths. Who doesn’t love South Park? A moron, that’s who.
And that about does it for Colorado. I know it’s a little thin, but goddamn it, I’m tired. You all have a fine weekend, okay?


Any state that is responsible for the Assassin lifting her self imposed Sheen ban is alright by me.
ReplyDeleteAdonis! Tiger! Dragon! Seven gram rocks! Quicksand! Winning! 25% heathens! Fuck yeah!
With love,
Sarah xxx
Do you have any idea how much I'm about to use that term "Rocky Mountain High?" Oh, yeah. It's a new favorite. Unfortunately, it will probably be premiered at my next Bible study. "What?!? You think the Bible doesn't MEAN IT when it says to pray without ceasing? Are you Rocky Mountain high?!?"
ReplyDeleteSarah: It was only a semi boycott lift. Now he is gone again from my mind. :)
ReplyDeleteMuffinster: Yes, let's bring it back along with the entire John Denver catalogue of song titles. Actually between that and Country Roads in the West Virginia thing, old Johnny's getting a work out. Pretty fly for a dead guy.
I used to love Mork and Mindy too. There there. It's okay.
ReplyDeleteIt is possibly not normal how much I love you, but I never did say I was normal. I am totally creeped out by John Denver as I was forced to listen to Annie's Song numerous time-my parents wedding song. "You fill up my sunshine" really John? Since when do you OWN the sun? You egotistical prick. Oops. I have family out there yet haven't visited. The rest of my family that ski's and "pounds 6 inches of freshies" have been. I don't really know what those creepy boarder sayings me however I believe "freshies" shouldn't be used in a sentence. EVER.
ReplyDeletePerhaps I should get Rocky Mountain High and I wouldn't have gone off on that mini rant. Sorry.
Love South Park-namely because I have the maturity of a 14 year old and what isn't funny about farting, wearing condoms all day, and infesting yuor children with chicken pox on purpose.
Great job. You rock.
xoxoxo
I'm pretty sure there's fodder for a lengthy academic publishing in your "batshit to batSheen" insanity scale. Think about it. We're talking Journal of American Medicine here. Or at least TMZ.
ReplyDeleteWhen John Denver said he was leaving on a jet plane he really wasn't kidding... okay, so it was a prop job, but who's counting.
ReplyDeleteI guess the sunshine on his shoulders and too much time on grandma's feather bed led him to write poems, prayers and promises that he couldn't keep...
Thanks for another fun post with no buttons to press and no lights to light.
All the best from Boonie, who thanks Mrs S I'm a country boy...
*smacks chest and throws a v into the air*
ReplyDeleteJohn Denver. Respect, yo.
Some of that Rocky Mountain High is just due to the altitude. And the fact that everyone - at least in Boulder - is so in shape that we are powered by exercise endorphins at ALL TIMES.
ReplyDeleteBut the rest of it is due to some primo weed, man.
I didn't realize Mork & Mindy was set in Colorado. I was never a huge fan, which is odd, since I love garbage TV.
ReplyDeleteI'm totally going to rock that shirt! John Denver Rules!
ReplyDelete"I like to imagine they’re the continents of “batshit insane” to the east and “bat-Sheen insane” to the west. See what I did there? Now who’s winning? I am." And after THAT, I snorted aloud, attracting the attention of my cube-mate...
ReplyDeleteAnxiously awaiting the day you do Minnesota, home of people who say "you betcha", Michelle Bachmann, and Prince. Really. We're awesome.
Pearl
I thank you very much for not bringing up the douchbags and their mega-churches down in Colorado Springs. Focus on your own fucking family is what I say to them!
ReplyDeleteThank God you finally posted about Colorado...I have indeed been camping outside, trembling with excitement...I'm glad to say it was worth the wait...if only for the shot of John Denver's shirt...
ReplyDeleteMoron, here. Never been able to understand the fascination with what I see as the stupidity of South Park. Sorry.
ReplyDeleteYou forgot an important fact. Denver got it's nickname "The Mile High City" from a copius marijuana smell that has never left the area due to skiing hippies and their patchuli oil.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, it's in the Denver class of 1892 year book.
Cora: At least we turned out ok, though, in the end, right?
ReplyDeleteFOOL: I know that song. And thanks for posting it right into my brain for the rest of the day. Isn't it "you fill up my senses"? In which case, also, WTF John. Stop trying to be poetic. Your wife is like "night in a forest"? Dark, scary, cold and liable to kill you? Ok.:)
Beck: Yeah, set in Boulder. I only remember because it mentioned it in the titles.
El G.: I'm sure that shirt would be styling on you, yes. You wouldn't stand out from the crowd AT ALL with all those flowers and giant collar. You go boy!
Pearl: Sorry. I had said no more CH***ie but he keeps on cropping up. Damn man won't go away. :)
Skylerspop: I don't know much about the mega churches actually but now I'm going to have to go read something about them as I feel uneducated and ill informed. Still, I'm not good with churches at the best of times (I burst into flames upon entering one, I suspect, I haven't tried) so I'm no doubt in full agreement with you.
Lottie: Yes his shirt is a case of "once seen, never forgotten" I feel. He might as well have sported a giant forehead tattoo that said "OMG THE SEVENTIES ARE AWESOME!" Maybe he did. Hard to tell with the hair.
Eva: Pfffffft. The thing I like about it is no matter how vulgar and offensive it gets - and it gets PRETTY vulgar and offensive - it's smart as hell with its sarcastic messages. Viva South Park.
Rahul: Well, that explains everything. Things I never knew about Denver: Marijuana and gangs. I thought it was this goody goody, sweet, all American city with some mountains behind it. You're a bad, boy Colorado! (now moving to Colorado)
Well aren't I an asshole for not noticing four other comments hiding in one email. Sorry guys. :)
ReplyDeleteNicki: You might be totally right. Or at least a decent PIE CHART! :)
Boonie: Hahahaha, I laughed. I'm sorry I missed that "jet plane" joke myself, that is CLASS.
Elly: Oh dear. I see a Friday uke moment coming on...
JUST ME: HAHAHA! Yeah I figured. Primo weed and altitude mixed MUST be quite the experience!
They've got a lot o' nice minerals out there. Hmmm, mineral:miner as differentiator:???
ReplyDeleteSounds like Boulder's not the only thing that's Rocky Mountain High today, huh?
ReplyDelete?
ReplyDeleteYou were supposed to say 'differential'...
High indeed... tsk tsk. :)
How about I say "velociraptor" that's a good word, no? Here's another one: "Lunatic".
ReplyDeleteI'm still having flashbacks from that photo of the creepy, no-pants wearing dude. The fact that Colorado is so freaking cold is cancelled out by the fact that it is the home of South Park. My feelings therefore remain neutral on this particular heathen filled state.
ReplyDeleteHaha, sorry for the trauma of Hunter S. Thompson's....well...everything really. I have a feeling he's the reason Colorado has that "high" image. :) And yay, for South Park!
ReplyDeleteomg mork and mindy. i watched that show ALL the time when i was little, but now? i have NO idea what it was about. like, he was an alien or something, but WHAT WAS THE POINT?! i don't remember anything about it. it's like i was traumatized and blocked it from my memory. that's probably exactly what happened. fucking robin williams. goddamn it.
ReplyDeleteLet's face it, it WAS pretty hard to concentrate with those suspenders. Holy shit. Between those and the chest hair.... OK that's it, my appetite's officially disappeared now.
ReplyDeleteWell, why the hell is your comment button on the bottom??? Us blondes need more guidance dammit. The following was supposed to go here.. smartass! LOL
ReplyDeleteYou are most definitely winning, babe! I enjoy watching you slam other states more than when you did mine. :) I know some of those hippies in Boulder and they are all tree huggers, too. They ride their bikes to work every day. In that cold, are you nuts?! Of course, I'm not going to do that here, and it's usually warm.
TalkativeTaurus.com
Now you have me so flustered that I don't know if I set it to send me emails for follow-ups. LOL
ReplyDeleteHahaha! Aw you poor blonde thing you. I know it's hard isn't it, reading instructions? :)
ReplyDeleteI have painful memories of Colorado (altitude sickness)...However, I just want to know, when are you going to do the great state of Connecticut? The finest people live there.
ReplyDeleteConnecticut eh? We'll see, missy, we'll see. :)
ReplyDeleteI started reading and couldn't get past the John Denver segment because of the laughter and the tears from said laughter. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteIs it just my pain meds talking or does that photo of John Denver look a lot like a more feminine version of Martina Navratilova?
ReplyDeleteThe only time I was ever in Colorado my then-boyfriend left me in the hotel room to go and try to score some pot. So yeah, totally Rocky Mountain High. Except the weekend concluded with us returning home and me moving out to live with my sister. The end.
ReplyDeleteDale: Admit it. You just want that shirt now. And possibly the hair? You can tell me, dude.
ReplyDeleteRusty: OMG. You are RIGHT. It so does. Hilarious. I'm not sure Martina would ever wear that shirt. Or hair. But other than that! Well done.
Mmm, heathens.
ReplyDeleteAnd also, mm.. Yeah got nothing to add really. Nothing to see here..
Cool.
ReplyDeleteDo Wiltshire next!
I have the shirt but growing my hair out is taking forever!!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Colorado.
ReplyDeleteOnly been there once, but it was awesome.
I loved Mork & Mindy too, so I guess that's not saying much.
Dale: Well yes, those in between stages are a bitch. I'm sure in the end it'll be worth it. How could it not?
ReplyDeleteEd: I bet, to be more accurate, you loved MINDY. Or maybe Mork. You dark horse you.
Wynn: No worries, man. It never stopped me either. :)
ReplyDeleteTJ: Wiltshire eh? Be careful what you wish for. I know nothing about Wiltshire. I lived in Nottinghamshire for a bit, would that do?
You bring up the hair, the shirt, but not the glasses? Dude, come on! :)
ReplyDeleteQuit making valid points, please! :)
ReplyDeleteHmmmm...Charlie Sheen...ramblings on ...and earthquakes...Very interesting, indeed
ReplyDeleteThats a big ass piece of pie...BTW
Ahhh Charlie Sheen has whatever weird disease paris hilton has, that causes people to talk about her even though she's not worth the time and effort! So weird.
ReplyDeleteBut everything in Japan really puts life in perspective. Hard to imagine :(
Jayne: It's true. All of it. :)
ReplyDeleteVegetables: He is not worth it, you are correct. He's a disaster as well as Japan, it's just that he's self made and no amount of aid's going to cure him.
I thought me and a couple of friends invented the term "Rocky Mountain High." It had something to do with our cross country drive, a pipe full of hashish, and a campground in the Rocky Mountains. I could be wrong!
ReplyDeleteIt's possible you did too. And John Denver might totally have stolen it from you in which case you're due royalties. :)
ReplyDeleteCrap. It's lunch time here and all I want to do is eat pie.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm happy you made that sound vulgar.
ReplyDeletewell, before reading this entry i had an interest in visiting this beautiful land of snowy mountains. but now i've decided i just hate it. thanks for saving me the money.
ReplyDeletewait- isn't the stanley hotel from the shining in CO? let the traveling commence.
Gunny: Yes it is! Haunted apparently according to all those ghost shows. I'd go check it out. I'm not sure about SLEEP in it though. :)
ReplyDeleteI have been up to the Stanley Hotel many times. They filmed the interior portions of the Shining there, and used a hotel on Mt Hood in Oregon for the external shots. The Stanley is beyond cool, and they do ghost tours there a lot.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.stanleyhotel.com/
Yeah, I've seen it a lot on ghost shows and it looks intriguing. I'm not brave enough to stay in one of those haunted rooms though even if I don't really BELIEVE in ghosts. I mean, I saw that Ghost Hunters where the closet door opened in the night and a glass shattered on the night stand. No way dude. :)
ReplyDeleteHey man! Utah is to the west of the Rockies... and since I live there, it's fabulous!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I know a VERY CUTE BOY that lives there, so don't be too mean!
Can't wait until you post about Utah!!!
For the rest of my life, whenever I hear anyone mention Boulder, I am going to bust out laughing because I will be thinking about how it was named by idiots.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was seven or eight, we had a magic show at school and my trick was to drink water like Mork did (by sticking his fingers in a glass and draining it somehow with his alien powers.) I had forgotten that for years until just now.
ReplyDeleteAlso, Pam Dawber is one of the five most beautiful people I've ever seen in person. Seriously.
Salti: I will get to Utah for sure. I love Utah. So beautiful!
ReplyDeleteMama: That's ok though. So long as you're a) not in Boulder at the time and b) don't therefore say it out loud. :)
Words: OMG. If ONLY they had YouTube back then. I'd totally watch that. In other news, NERD BOY. :)
HAH! This was excellent. As a girl born in Vail and raised there her whole life, I appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteAlthough, I must say, I would have mentioned that Ted Bundy killed someone on the top floor of a parking garage there [in Vail] but that's just me.... ;-)
Hey there C, a fellow Colorado small towner here. I was born and raised in Idaho Springs.
ReplyDelete