Wednesday, March 30th, 2011 – tired, hungry, wearing excellent pants
The other day, as I was sweating profusely in an electric trolley-car, next to an exuberant little Frenchman, I decided that travel nowadays isn’t quite what it used to be. In fact, it’s almost too much hassle to actually go anywhere that involves airports or security lines or morons who make you take your laptop out for no reason except to put it in the same bin your coat and bag are in, all of which pretty much leaves your best option spending vacations in your own living room with a bottle of cheap wine and a plastic palm tree.
If you do decide to go ahead and do some travelling, you will invariably end up like me, lugging heavy bags without wheels around an airport in a panic of gigantic proportions, five minutes past the final call for your flight and still a mile from the gate, looking at signs pointing in opposite directions for the same thing and not having the slightest clue which one to follow, while swearing in two languages because no one in this stupid airport seems to have heard of moving sidewalks or luggage carts.
Then a miracle. A nice Frenchman in an electric train thing, normally reserved for the elderly, infirm or marginally retarded, sees your distressed, red, puffy, exhausted visage and homicidal eyes and offers you a ride the rest of the way. And you manage to resist the urge to kiss him, but only just. It was a close call - you are pretty certain you hear angels singing.
Then you will ramble away in French, telling him how you’re about to die from the fatigue of carrying heavy baggage a distance the equivalent of the New York marathon and please pardon your stench but there’s not an inch of you that doesn’t smell like old socks and how you’re not going to make your flight because your previous flight was two hours late arriving, making you run like a crazy person and now there’s a very real possibility you’re going to be spending the night in the airport on a cold metal bench, so thanks a fucking bunch, airline I will not name. The bemused and bored guy at the entrance to your gate lets you through despite your lack of a boarding pass, because you are MAGICAL. All in all, it’s a sweaty, unpleasant half hour of anxiety.
So you know. Don’t do any travelling by air, that’s all I’m saying.
In the end I actually made the flight. I cajoled and begged them to let me on and the tired desk clerks let me, despite everyone already being seated and the overhead bins being closed and it being five minutes from take off. I huffed and puffed my way to the back of the plane to my seat, bumping my giant bag into everyone’s shins and muttering about how a laptop can weigh approximately the same as a small country and trying not to sweat on anyone. What is WITH the heat in airports, by the way? Are they moonlighting as saunas? Heat is not conducive to lugging heavy things anywhere. Anyway, I made it home in one piece and with my dignity mostly intact. So, hi! Thanks British Airways, I guess.
My luggage though? It decided to stay the night in Montreal. Hell, it needed a vacation of its own.
Someone needs to invent a teleporter and do it soon. I can’t take anymore of this flying business.
Stuff on States later in the week. I’m lazy and tired and I already missed a week, what can I tell you? I hope you all had lovelier weekends than I did!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's the What What
So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...
-
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 - the wee small hours of insomnia Religion. It's all around us. And it's killing us in record num...
-
You know what? Swearing's a fine tool to have in your arsenal, and Lord knows it's my favourite power tool of all - even better tha...
-
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 – achey breaky knee, Tonka Bean chocolate is good, digging plaid Hi! Yes you! Remember me? I sometimes post n...
You poor sweaty mess. I am so waiting for teleporters as well. The train is a great way to travel. The only problem is your luggage is all out in the open and I feel nervous leaving it unattended to go to the bathroom should I be alone...the travel part of traveling is such a bitch!
ReplyDeleteI know! And to think this stuff used to be considered glamourous! Not any more. Ugh. Airports are not fun.
ReplyDeleteAh, modern air travel. I make sure these days to keep overnight essentials in my carryon, because the moment i just toss everything in the checked bag, it's inevitable I'll need it. Have a great rest-of the trip!
ReplyDeleteHa, thanks, although it's over now, but not being on a plane or having to be anytime soon, is a nice feeling. SAY NO TO AIRPORTS!
ReplyDeleteI've been waiting for a teleporter for years! I wouldn't even mind turning into The Fly, as long as I don't have to deal with airports or airplanes or lines or other people.
ReplyDeleteAnd I always toggle back and forth between wanting an aisle versus window seat. I'm not even gonna discuss the middle seat, because no one wants that crap.
Whenever I get an aisle seat, I become immediately sleepy and my head is incapable of staying upright so I end up wishing I got a window seat so I could rest my head against the wall.
But whenever I get a window seat, I end up not sleeping at all and feeling bad for having to ask the person next to me to move so I can use the bathroom.
I just can't win.
I had aisle seats this time although I always request windows. One of my planes though, had these built in seat back cushion things that you could fold down at right angles and rest your head on, so no matter what seat you had, you could rest your head like you would if you had the window. Pretty cool! I usually hate the aisle though cos everyone clambers all over you to get to the bathroom five hundred times. I never move so windows work for me. Damn travel. I'm over it!
ReplyDeleteHmmm. I want to support you. I want to sympathize. And I do, Veggie. I really do. But I feel like you're kind of missing the magic of airports. I mean, it's the only place in the world where it's not seedy at all to drink hard liquor at 8 a.m. It's looked admiringly upon to put in your headphones and watch hours of mindless t.v. on your laptop. Work is not expected. Reading is. If you get hungry, they have loads of junk food and candy for you to grab.
ReplyDeleteIn other words, it's heaven.
And if you have to steal one of those motorized carts of your own to properly enjoy the experience, then I support that. Hell, I'll hold that little guy down while you jack his keys if you need me to.
Well I'd expect that from a SKY MUFFIN who probably gets to sit in special lounges and look cute! :) Pffft. Us little people have to SUFFER in airports you know.
ReplyDeleteI love to travel! Maybe that's a little to enthusiastic today, after the experience you just had. I really like my job, but I like being away from it more. If it means spending time in the airport, which I don't mind, then I am in! Except when we are traveling with my mother-in-law. It's hard to be carefree when you have to make sure she has what she needs and everything (she is 87).
ReplyDeleteYes I think for it to be bearable you have to have everything go right, have lots of time, not be carrying anything much and not be bogged down by taking care of anyone. And maybe free margaritas. :)
ReplyDeleteAirports are hot because they are rectums. True story.
ReplyDeleteI love to go places but I hate traveling. Which poses a dilemma. I want to see the world but I hate plane rides and airports and public transportation. I want to teleport everywhere. Or what is is they use in harry potter, the dust and the fire place. I can dig that maybe.
ReplyDeleteElly: Check you out, all making sense and stuff! They smell like them too.
ReplyDeletePenny: I know, same here. Stupid dilemma. Someone solve that please, right now.
Part of me want to be all, "I totally understand! I've been there SO many times!"... but the other part of me wants to say, "If you're traveling, it means a new adventure!"... not sure which one I'm going with today. I just want to travel somewhere. And have a beer whilst I do it, cause you know, that's key right?
ReplyDeleteWell the going places is FUN it's the GETTING THERE part I hate. But beer sounds like a plan!
ReplyDeleteWe did some complex mathematical calculations and decided that for our next vacation we will just not take luggage. We will wear the same thing every day for a week and offend everyone, but what do we care? We are tourists and therefore offensive anyway.
ReplyDeleteAnd THAT might be the best piece of advice EVER. For real. Let's all travel light and WIN. Like Charlie Sheen.
ReplyDeleteI love Montreal. Mainly for all the bars and strip clubs. I've never lost my luggage there because I only stuff my pockets with single bills.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome.
The only surprise here is that I didn't anticipate this comment! :)
ReplyDeleteAwww, I've never had a Frenchman on wheels come to my rescue!
ReplyDeleteI, too, long for the day when we have telepods. Then again, instead of whining about lost luggage, we might zip from home to work one day and realize that we left our spleens at home. Therefore, I'm still holding out for the jetpack.
I hate when you make sense. It usually means the world is off its axis again and disaster is coming.
ReplyDeleteYou should have broken your leg first.
ReplyDeleteIt was sooo easy to travel last week.
They zipped me around in a golf cart from security to the gate and from the gate to baggage claim. Plus, I got to jump right to the front of every line, quick boarding, and security was a breeze.
You know dude, even for ME, breaking a leg just to get through a line faster, is a little extreme. But you go on with your bad, bad self. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd with that, I've decided I'm going to start offering classes in travel. Airports need not be your enemy... although, they need to get a grip on the fucking heat! I'm usually dripping sweat by the time I get to my gate!
ReplyDeleteAnd some of them make you walk miles between connections. Ugh. Horrible when carrying stuff. Have you ever been to London Heathrow? Holy shit, it's like going to hell.
ReplyDeleteTraveling by air is something I have to prepare for with zen breathing techniques, lost of candy, and the realization that taking off my clothes just to get through security is just part of the (awful) fun.
ReplyDeleteAnd you are dead right! Off with the jacket, belt, shoes - soon you'll have to slide out of your skin so they can make sure your innards aren't smuggling explosives. :) Candy. It might be the answer.
ReplyDeleteHa! I've cracked the whole flying problem! This year I'll be staying at home. Brilliant, non?
ReplyDeleteYou know what would be even MORE brilliant? If I hadn't said that first, up there! :)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds suspiciously like my last trip through JFK ... except there was no ride to the gate for me, so I had to huff and puff my own bad self there, scrub top falling off one shoulder and a couple of unfortunate slow-pokes being run down as I went.
ReplyDeleteInky, I think every major city airport is a bitch. Really. I think they're a test. To weed out the mass murderers. :)
ReplyDeleteSmelling like an old sock is like catnip to Frenchmen with electric buggies you know?
ReplyDeleteS'true.
I thought, as an Englishman, it was your duty to point out that it's a smell Frenchmen are very familiar with.
ReplyDeleteI love flying and I love airports, but yeah...they can be frustrating.
ReplyDeleteAs for the teleporter thing...there's not a day that goes by (probably because I'm ALWAYS late) that I don't think, or wish outloud, that it would be great if I could just wiggle my nose, blink my eyes, or clap my hands and..HEY! HERE WE ARE!
Sigh.
Yep, me too. Twitching my nose like Samantha and magic happens. Sigh. Life is so unfair.
ReplyDeleteYou just listed all the reasons I won't fly anymore. If I can't drive there, I'm not going.
ReplyDeleteHaha, driving's probably faster these days! If only there were giant bridges over the oceans. :)
ReplyDeleteIf you didn't eat 37 croissants in Montreal, then I think you missed the point of flying.
ReplyDeleteIt's science.
I didn't have time to eat even ONE croissant, thank you. God I love croissants. Give me croissants. Instead of flying.
ReplyDeleteI am completely exhausted after that post. Holy Hell!
ReplyDeleteHahaha I know. I am twelve times MORE exhausted because I did it!
ReplyDeleteWTH? Next time, have a little respect for fellow travelers and carry a hanging car air freshener on you so you can cover the stinky B.O. as you hit the sitting passengers with your ass. I hear they come in many scents now other than the traditional pine scented ones.
ReplyDeleteNothing clever to add to the conversation, but wanted to say welcome back! :)
ReplyDeleteLittle Ms. B: Dude, no air freshener could have coped with that amount of skanky feeling. Hot and sweaty.
ReplyDeleteMama: Well thank you. That's good enough reason! :)
We all voted and determined you deserve to be petulant and whiny. Hope your luggage enjoys Montreal.
ReplyDeleteI always wondered about the teleporters on Star Trek. So if they instantly disintegrate every atom in your body and 'reassemble' them somewhere else, aren't you really just dying inside a bit every time you go somewhere?
ReplyDeleteAnd also dying a bit every time you have to muddle through one of my comments?
well at least you had some good staff people to deal with. I remember once when the desk clerk so was nice to tell me that I would not make it in time. Turns out the damn plane was even there yet. Everybody has got a story. Good telling of yours.
ReplyDeletei'm so with you! could there be any less comfort with the ever increasing ticket prices and fees? we just flew US air to/fro jamaica for the cost of buying jamaica, and what did we get: $25 per checked bag, no meal, no snack, no blanket, no pillow and no headphones. those are all $5 each. and yeah a total lack of climate control. and they're the only luxury priced service that doesn't care about customer satisfaction - delays and schedule changes are customary rather than the exception.
ReplyDeletei've got the fridge filled with franzia. you bring the rubber tree plant. we'll hang.
This is where we're different you see, because I love airports. I do however, only pack carry on luggage, no matter where I'm travelling, no matter how long I'm going. It's always with me, it's never too heavy and, if I need or have forgotten anything, I'll just go buy it. It might be the fact that, being all way down here, you HAVE to travel for miles if you want to go anywhere. Well, anywhere overseas that is. Most of our internal flights are between one and four hours, so it's not too bad. What can I say? I love airports. You need to come down to Aus, our airports are frickin' FREEZING.
ReplyDeleteIs it any wonder you come home exhausted after doing nothing but sitting on a plane for six hours?
ReplyDeleteSo are you telling me you can say "I smell like sweaty socks" in French? Lucky! I bet it sounds pretty.
ReplyDeleteI wish you better travels in the future, we are heading home tomorrow morning at the butt crack of dawn.
ReplyDeleteI could use a bit of your strength!
I remember dropping our hire car off in the bowels of Montreal airport and having to carry luggage up the stairs to the departure hall as there were queues for the elevator. Husband was in a strop so took a huge bag in each hand, roared to give himself strength, then hoofed it up the stairs, merrily knocking people out of the way.
ReplyDeleteBut we have happier memories of the very helpful staff who came to our aid when we realised we still had two bottles of Ice Wine in our hand luggage, after we'd sent our hold bags on their little journey. They rang down for the bags, a little chap brought them up (he may have been your little man?) and they opened up our case in front of everyone and carefully laid the bottles on a bed of my fragrant undies which were lying on the top of the case.
Bless your sweaty heart. There is only one good reason to sweat.
ReplyDeleteThe next time I fly, I've sworn everyone I know to give me a horse tranq so I am coma-fied until I arrive at my destination. If I fly solo, that could be a problem.
Wait, you have luggage without wheels? What is this, 1952? Slap wheels on that bitch.
ReplyDeleteBoom Boom: Haha thank you! I feel vindicated. I will commence doing it all day now.
ReplyDeleteEric: I wondered that too. It's very Mike Tee Vee isn't it? I like your comments. Your comments are...unique. :)
Lisleman: The staff were excellent actually, I didn't meet a bad person. So one thing worked out!
Patty: I know! It's unbelievable. Some airlines are now making you pay to CHECK IN. Seriously. Like you can have a choice. You either check in or you don't fly. Scandalous!
Tenny: See I love airports as well when I'm people watching and not dragging heavy things around and running late and confused. I like to travel light and relax but this time was just a mind fuck. I had stuff to bring that I needed that had to be carried and everything went wrong. Grrrrr!
ReplyDeleteBrigid: You know what, no! It's more tiring than actually doing something. :)
Sunny: Ha! You'd be amazed at the nonsense I can spout in French. Amazed. And a little appalled!
Skypop: Good luck with that. And good luck to Dawn and her butt crack. :)
Trish: Hahahahaha! Fragrant undies made me laugh out loud. Cos you weren't embarrassed enough by the wine fiasco, right? :)
Martini: Shut up woman. Actually my usual bag has wheels but this was a smaller sports bag full of heavy breakable items and so I had to lug all 9KGS of it around in one hand plus a briefcase and laptop in the other. Joyous. So if it was 1952 I'd be happy as laptops didn't exist yet. Well nor did I, but that's hardly the point.
ReplyDeleteYou're telling me this NOW? I'm traveling tomorrow! Great, thanks!
ReplyDeleteThe Vegetable Assassin and Tickets for Two need to do a fueding pro-airport con-airport duel match to the death. Scratch the to the death part. Because I love you too much. BUT SERIOUSLY. Dueling blog posts. Think about it.
ReplyDeleteyep - get wheels sweetie, or if you're feeling vindictive get one of those big backpacks so you can hit other passengers in the face everytime you turn around - I love those kind of fellow passengers.
ReplyDeleteNice to have you home xx
Wynn: Well is it my fault you're late? Hmmmm?
ReplyDeleteNicki: Well that's a fine idea but really a little unfair. I'd easily take Muffin in a fight because she's such a delicate, tiny lady flower. All five feet of her. I have six inches on her and a great left hook.
Thank you lovely Lulu! :) You know I have a wheeled backpack but i measured it and it was half an inch over Air Canada's dumb size restrictions and some airlines are such sticklers for accuracy I didn't dare bring it. I missed it though. Oh God yes.
ReplyDeleteTeleportation. Exactly. We were promised teleportation in the damn future, I'm pretty fucking sure of it, and now here we are in the future but--hello?--there's no teleportation!
ReplyDeleteColor me disgruntled.
You crack me up. I was rolling on this post. Thanks for making my day.
ReplyDeleteThat was so friggin' classic!
ReplyDeleteBeing someone who's traveled there frequently my whole life, from the Keys up to Orlando, I know that every word of it is hilariously true.
Sadly, those bumper balls are pretty popular in MA, too.
I was in a very similar situation last year. 1 hour to deplane, run from the international to domestic terminal, go through security and run to my gate. AND get in a phone call to my ride picking me up on the other end and another to work telling them I got stuck in Japan for an extra day and I wasn't going to make it in the next day.
ReplyDeleteThen I got to sit between two people and try not to sweat on them. I don't sweat easily. I might use this story in my blog.
Nope, never been to Europe, but it's on my list. However, maybe I'll heed your advice about Heathrow and just swim across the Atlantic.
ReplyDeleteCora: Damn right. WHERE ARE OUR FLYING CARS?
ReplyDeleteMomma: No drinking before 6pm you naughty lady. :)
Pix: Oh my. The epidemic has gotten further than we thought...
Lauren: Isn't it the worst? You wind up annoying everyone and being sweaty and red faced for ages then you feel like you need a shower RIGHT NOW. Ick.
Ms. Salti: I'm sure that wouldn't take long AT ALL. Nope. Not one bit.