Thursday, June 9, 2016

What I Did Last Summer

Last summer I moved half way across the country, from the flat, huge-skied, sun-baked prairies, to the more humid and manageable climate of the coast.

This was a pleasant and welcome event in my life, and my ancient Chevy, Victor (because yes he has a name, shut up) handled the 1500 mile trip over flat plains and sharp, steep mountains, with ease, probably thrilled at the dizzying prospect of no longer having to start when it's minus 30 something out, or broil in the hot, prairie, summer sun.

So one day in July I tossed some choice driving playlists on my old iPod, loaded up my car, and hit the road.

I discovered long ago that playlists are key, to making any long trip palatable, particularly if said playlists include endless opportunities to sing like your life depends on it, loudly and with gusto. And particularly if you're driving 1500 plus miles alone in the car, as I was - well alone except for my plants, all of whom, I have on trusted authority, appreciate my melodious screechings. And, let me tell you, there was one particularly enthusiastic rendering of "I Will Survive" that will keep them happy for a long, long time.

Moving to our current city was like being picked up and plopped down on another planet.  After the flat, apocalyptic winter that characterized our last home - the five months every year of icy blanched landscapes and wearing all the sweaters in my drawer simultaneously, had rendered me almost completely devoid of visual stimulation. Finding myself here, near the ocean, surrounded by mild winters and sunny summers, outdoor cafes and markets, beautiful landscapes and blue skies, was a bit like I imagined a totally color blind person might feel if suddenly presented with the ability to see full spectrum color.

Or a Donald Trump supporter if he suddenly tripped and hit his head on a rock and woke up seeing sense.




11 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you wrote that whole post just as a segue into the last line.
    I agree on the playlist and road trip combo. I used to make trip mixes and burn them on to CDs. Then a couple of years ago we rent a car for a trip and big surprise. While my wife is driving I'm holding a CD in my hand trying to figure out where to insert it. The car doesn't have a CD player - just a jack for your smartphone/mp3 player. It wasn't like I expected a cassette tape player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisle: I'm afraid I don't plan that far ahead so it was spontaneous. :) I'm not a Hillary fan either.

    As for the music thing,I got a new stereo installed in my car a year or so back so I could stream songs on my phone on my way to work or use my iPod. It doesn't have a CD slot either. It's the way to go. I can't believe we're in a time where cds are old school. What the eff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god I wrote a really long comment and my FRICKING COMPUTER had as usual (I should have known) disconnected the internet making my comment disappear *sobs*

    The jist of the comment: It sounds lovely and looks lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my God, don't you HATE that? It's up there with typing on a laptop with a sensitive wrist rest so you suddenly find you've highlighted everything and typed over it. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made it to a more temperate climate. Many of my ancestors used to live on that windswept prairie, my side got smart and left. Others are still on the bake/freeze cycle.

    Glad to hear you are getting invigorated on the coast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mr.Scope! Thank you I love it out here. Yeah, that prairie thing is great in summer as I love heat, but in winter? No thank you. Longest, coldest winters ever. Well you know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well welcome to the other side of the country! Hope you have landed where you want to be. I, myself, am a winter freak and like the cold. I moved to warmer and I am suffering. LOL. Oh well. I have to bloom where I am planted. Love your humor in your posts. I snort, laugh, choke, and smile all at once. Especially at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Momma: Haha thanks! Yes, I love where I am and I do NOT miss the winter. I am made for the warmer climes although it's not super warm here, just perfect. Don't even need air conditioning most of the time. :) Love the smell of the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can we just throw rocks at the Trump supporters to speed up the process? Waiting for them to trip is taking waaaaayyyyyyyy too long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. CORA: I never understand why a sane person would vote for him, Republican or not.I mean the man's such an attention whore he had a reality show, does no one remember that? Do people want that guy running their country? I guess he speaks to people who respond to the while'let's take America back'crap. Back from what? From progression and sanity into racism and xenophobia and intolerance? I don't get it. I'm no Hillary fan either but man if I lived in the US and had a vote I'd be protest voting the hell out of things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Which coast???

    I LOVE a good playlist! But I am TERRIBLE at making them! My swiss cheese of a brain gives me zero connecting lines between the "song title" - "song melody" - "music group" columns. I never remember what I like and I'm useless at putting it together. :p

    But yeah, nice long drives absolutely require damn good music! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...