Monday, December 4, 2017

When Winter Attacks

December 4, 2017

Someone (Bill) kicked my ass and so I'm making a post to tantalize (!) you all, as the seasons have changed once more, and that means updates must be provided. I'm told this is a law.

It's gotten chilly. Good chilly, where you step outside at night and breathe in that cool, lung-cooling sea air. The sort of chilly where you can still get away with a thick sweater and no coat, but you don't dare eat a peppermint and take a deep breath. Then you step inside and have to put on the heater, a blanket, and that same sweater, thick enough to insulate an igloo. I like it. Sadly, it's also rainy season here so days that aren't chilly are wet, and that means my wipers are getting a workout and stopping distances have increased. At least it's not ice.

In an attempt at frivolous festivity, I put the Christmas tree up last week. This is uncommonly early for me. Usually I'm a "not till December and even then, you wait a week" mentality, but what with the grey skies and the rain I just wanted a nice, pretty-lighted pick me up. So I opened some wine (as encouragement because wine helps make all pleasant tasks ten times more pleasant) and did it. And I've been smug and pleased with myself since. I like nice lights and a TV fireplace - I prefer a real fireplace but as I don't have one, Netflix fireplace it is - Now I have coloured lights UP THE WAZOO and all my extremities are happy.

It was my birthday the other day as well, so the two things sort of overlapped and made November less of a grey monotony. I have a helium birthday balloon hanging from the tree top in fact. If hanging is the right word here (it isn't), since it's floating up. I like a measure of confusion with my festivities. I will say, about the birthday, there was a rather wonderful cappuccino cake with gooey chocolate topping and real, fresh cream filling. Oh my God. I thought I'd gone to heaven. I don't have cake much these days so I wanted to stick my whole face in it. I didn't, however, as I am a lady. Or I had company, one of those things. If I'd been alone, sure, I'd have gorged myself silly, like a zombie in the ball pit at Ikea.

Anyway, winter has brought with it some awesome stormy skies. Here's a photo I took last week or so, of it looking all dramatic and sexy.


And here's a boring phone one from this morning of my favourite coffee shop - my car! Cheers.


Not that I'm anti-social or anything. Well not much. Okay, I sort of am. I'd have coffee with YOU of course, but you weren't here.

Other than this I'm working and driving between printers and grocery stores and Starbucks way too much, and pretty much being a-ok. I wish I had something more juicy for you but hey. I'm not your Netflix, buddy.

Merry Christmas Hanukkah Kwanzaa things! Say hi.



5 comments:

  1. This post must have been built up inside you. Always good to read a post up here. Birthday balloons on a Christmas tree? That makes sense since it is a birthday party of someone from long long ago. You could start a trend or at least a conversation starter.
    Great sky and water pic.
    Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisle: Yes, it was busting to get out. i was swollen up like a giant balloon waiting for it to explode in a violent crescendo! :) Who doesn't love the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well lookie here! First off, Happy Birthday! I thought I was going to miss most of the Christmas season totally. In fact, we are supposed to be in Yuma right now, returning a few days before the 25th. It wouldn't make any sense to put up the outside lights, or even the tree. So much for my plans. A couple days after Thanksgiving my wife got a bad case of laryngitis, just as she was starting to feel better she got the flu. Needless to say, we're not in Yuma. Further, we probably won't be going at all now. I need at least two weeks for my planned "expedition." So today I put the tree up, put lights on it, done. If my wife wants ornaments also, she better get better in a hurry. I'm hoping she won't notice that the outside lights are still in the garage.
    So, I'm smelling the ocean air also, but I want to be smelling desert air.

    So nice to see you post something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat: oh man, poor Mrs T. There's nothing fun about the flu, hope she's feeling better soon. I bet that pretty tree will help her spirits. Too bad about Arizona, still it's not going anywhere, right? You'll be back. I haven't made it to Yuma yet but I will. Getting closer every year! Hope you don't catch your wife's lurgee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful view. I've currently got scaffolding up outside my windows, obliterating the view of the motorway. Sucks.

    Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...