Friday, December 22, 2017

Have Yourself a Cherry Little Mistmas

December 22nd, 2017

It's three days until Christmas.

I like Christmas. I'm not a religious person at all, in fact, at this point I'm pretty sure if I so much as set foot inside a church I'd burst into flames on the spot, while terrified priests set about sprinkling holy water and hail marys and exorcisms like confetti.

My love for Christmas, however, holds no religious significance, and is more about reflection and relaxation and food and tree lights and joy. I mean, so long as we all end up in the same mellow mental place over the holiday, who cares? You have Jesus, I have gin and tonic. We're all happy.

Merry Christmas!

I don't feel all that christmassy though. I mean, it's been pretty sunny all week, until today, and I haven't worn a coat at all this winter yet. Today's forecast is threatening weekend snow so maybe I'll have to crank up the old Bing Crosby version of "White Christmas" and try to get motivated in the mood department.

Actually, my favourite Christmas song I think, is Rosemary Clooney's version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas". I don't know why, it's just perfect. Until you've had seventeen tequila shots that is, then it's "Feliz Navidad" because it's the law.

Whatever you're doing for your festive time, whatever holiday you celebrate or if you just have a nice meal somewhere and contemplate, I hope you have a good one and that you are happy. There's only one law at Christmas, and really it should be your law all year round - 'don't be a dick'. There you go.

And remember, don't eat the yellow snow.


5 comments:

  1. don't eat the yellow snow - I remember that from a Frank Zappa song. I just read this past week in a newspaper (still read tree killing paper) that the "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" was written for the movie "Meet Me in St. Louis". The original lyrics were not very up beat and Judy Garland complained and they were changed. Really the original started out with:
    Have yourself a merry little Christmas
    It may be your last
    Next year we may all be living in the past
    That's too sad even me. Also Frank Sinatra also had it changed to be a little more jolly.
    Merry Christmas and if the lyrics are not jolly enough take another shot and change them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was genuinely interesting! It is a melancholy song anyway I feel. Always gives me the feels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherry Mistmas to you, too! I'm with you on the significance of Christmas—it's less Jesus and more lights and food and family for me—and yet I get weirdly moved by stories of angels and spirits and human kindness, and I love me a good nativity scene. (Hey, it's a story with some traction. You don't have to believe the hype to enjoy the story, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly. It's more tradition than religion. It's tailor made! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've grown to like Christmas as I've aged. Pretty much for the same reasons you do. How about yellow shave ice?

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...