Tuesday, November 24, 2009

November: Now With Stuff

Because I'm bored and somewhat kind of heart, (and totally lazy) here is a little repost from a couple of years ago that I wrote in honour of November, which tends to be a bit of a nothingy month.  I never do reposts and usually I’m sort of staunchly against them but hey, whatever.  I made a few edits, therefore, it’s almost new. 

You can pay me later. I accept food stamps and naked photos.
  • According to Morrissey and his fey hair, November "spawned a monster in the shape of this child"! I wonder if Morrissey was born in November because, if so it would go a ways to explaining THIS photo of someone's dad going to the Bingo Hall Social.

  • November 5th, we Brits celebrate "Guy Fawkes Night". Mr. Fawkes was some dude who, with a bunch of Catholics, tried to blow up parliament with gunpowder, back in the olden days and given the fact he had a ton of it he failed miserably and ended up executed by the Protestants.

    I imagine the night of the "incident" went something like this.
    "Are these gunpowder kegs in position? Yes? OK then. Light the thingy then on the count of 'one' run like your knackers are on fire. Which they will be if you don't pay attention to that last point! Wait... What do you mean you 'didn't bring any matches?'"

    Now we remember his "lack of win" by letting off fireworks, roasting marshmallows on a bonfire and setting scarecrows on fire. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

  • Allegedly, it is somewhat customary for humans of the male persuasion in Melbourne, Australia to grow a big, furry moustache during the month of November. This is apparently known as "Movember" for "moustache" and "November".

  • In Finland, November is celebrated as "Month of the Dead". That's a whole month of death. Take that Mexico. And let me tell you from the experience of one particularly blurry night in Helsinki, the Fins know how to throw a fucking celebration. Those people drink like prohibition is just over the horizon and barrelling towards them at the speed of light. And I'm from Scotland so you know, don't go thinking the irony of that statement is lost on me! So ..don't go to Finland in November. As well as your balls freezing off you're liable to get iced in another way. Just saying.

  • In Croatia, November is known as "studeni" which apparently means "cold one". I'm not sure if they are referencing the weather, Betty Draper, a stiff (Hi Finland!) or they want another hit of Karlovačko. Regarding Karlovačko? I imbibed that very Croatian beer while sitting in a square in Split once (at least I think it was square, it was spinning a lot at the time). For two days afterwards I thought I was the Russian prime minister. That stuff is dangerous. They say it's only twelve percent proof, but twelve percent of what, that's what I want to know..

  • November is the most boring month of the year because I can find almost nothing interesting that happened during it, probably because everyone's getting either hammered or murdered. Even Wikipedia was like, "Dude, that is SO all I have, go find a life or something, please!"
All this stupidity however, is cancelled out by the mere fact that November is the month of my birth and so to all you fellow November babies of awesomeness, I dedicate this to you.

47 comments:

  1. a)i am totally forcing chuck to grow a Movember.

    b)wikipedia is kind of rude. and then tries to disguise it with a please. didn't work, wiki! i've got my eye on you!

    b)you're supposed to dedicate it to the ladies! gah! how else will you score any tail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky. You know I love you. So don't take this the wrong way. But what the living FUCK are you talking about? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuse the long comment, I'm a bit crap at links. Anyway, here's a poem for you (not one of mine, I only write limericks):

    November
    by Thomas Hood

    No sun--no moon!
    No morn--no noon!
    No dawn--no dusk--no proper time of day--
    No sky--no earthly view--
    No distance looking blue--

    No road--no street--
    No "t'other side the way"--
    No end to any Row--
    No indications where the Crescents go--

    No top to any steeple--
    No recognitions of familiar people--
    No courtesies for showing 'em--
    No knowing 'em!

    No mail--no post--
    No news from any foreign coast--
    No park--no ring--no afternoon gentility--
    No company--no nobility--

    No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
    No comfortable feel in any member--
    No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
    No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds,
    November!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And in all honesty, that pretty much sums it up! :) At least I can add "CAKE" to my November. And at least it's not January. January's the evil villain of the year with no redeeming qualities at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I comment on this last year? If I did, I probably said something like, "Ugh. Fucking Morrissey."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I learned a lot about November that I didn't know. Enjoy November and your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beck: You probably did - it was two years ago. And it probably was about Moz knowing you. You love him really. You PRETEND it's Albarn but I know it's Moz all the way.

    Peachy: Thank you! It's all stuff you could have happily lived without knowing too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Movember is a charity event here - you can follow people's attempts to grow facial hair online.

    I'd participate but I couldn't grow facial hair if I tried. By the end of November I'd have a Kate Moss eyebrow at best...

    Oh, and I'm so going to Helsinki next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah your liver NEEDS Helsinki. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Month! I think I'll light fireworks and celebrate the dead in your honor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whee! Happy birthday-month to you!

    I will not be growing a moustache for Movember.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa, whoa, whoa! A Veg Ass bday?! Yeehaw!!! I'm gonna grow a Movember in your honor. I have to grow it on my vagina, I hope that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. January IS the worst month ever. The only thing that even partially redeems it is the NFL playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheer up--December is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jules: Why thank YOU. I think. :)

    Soda: Well, I hope not. It would clash with your sideburns.

    Buffy: I'd be perturbed if you grew it anywhere else, dude.

    Words: Uh huh. It doesn't redeem it at all for me. :)

    Eva: True. And cold. And snow. Sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember that Morrissey song. God, I was such a mopey kid.

    And burning a scarecrow in effigy sounds like fun. Those bastards have it coming. What with their crow scaring and all...

    ReplyDelete
  17. my boss is celebrating movember unfortunately. it's awful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear Christ! Is THAT Morrissey these days?!

    The last time I saw him in concert ('92, I think) someone threw a massive boquet of roses up on the stage which pegged him right in the face. He stopped the show, threw a tantrum on stage, and told the crowd to murder anyone else who dared throw things at him. Then he started singing again.

    The throwing did not stop. It was hilarious. People were throwing all kinds of crap on stage at him. I think we were all hoping to see another hissy fit. But Morrissey didn't give us one.

    Stingy bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hunter: Ah we all had our mopey periods, don't worry! I had that Morrissey CD single actually. As for the scarecrow thing, yes they do, those crow scaring bastards. It sure was fun burning them though.

    Miss C: ACK! You have my sympathies. Is it a bushy one? :)

    Cora: You know he's renowned for that. He's always getting pegged in the face with flowers and things and walking off. It happened recently in England actually only not with flowers, with something else like beer bottles or something. I can't say I'd approve of people hurling stuff at me either but really, you can be a drama queen or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Movember is actually world wide now. I know, because I did it last year. Unfortunately, I really have to start Movember in about August.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hahaha! Aw. Do you get the bumfluff thing on your lip instead?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done you Ms Veg - lesser mortals have a birthDAY, you have a whole birthMONTH AND HELSINKI too by the sounds of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're not the Russian prime minister?

    Bloody Hell, how wrong I was.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I came here from Hunter. He's right, you're good! Glad to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh? Really? Happy birthday!!! Hope you had an absolutely friggin awesome bday filled with laughter and good food.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you have a lovely rest of November...even if it is quite boring. Have some cake on me.

    Well, you know, not ON me.

    Unless you're interested...RAWR!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can usually only repost after about a 20 minute break.

    Oh. This is about reposting ARTICLES.

    Never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Through this whole post, I was like, "But...but...weren't you BORN in November?" And then you beat me to it and mentioned it at the end, effectively stealing my comment material. Which just leaves me to say, happy bday month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love November! Mostly because it's my b-day month, too, but I'm sure there are other reasons...probably...maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday sometime this month.

    I'm a December baby, and we got Christmas and New Years Eve, so we win.

    *sticks out tongue*

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a June birthday, which is best because it is diametrically opposite Christmas, thus giving me the optimal interval for receiving presents.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mo: You must've had Croatian beer too! Ha!

    Tina: Well thank you! I'm happy you came by. :)

    Miss OWO: Lowering the tone to my level, I like that! Mmmm cake...

    Moooooog: Snort. Oh dear.

    Macy: I know right? Except I barely even celebrate the day let alone the month but maybe I should adopt the whole month and make it party town all month long. FUNKY TOWN!

    Sid: Thank you ma'am. Actually it hasn't happened yet but I'm sure it will be just fantabulous and full of cake.

    Inky: Oh you are so astute! Just because I was born in it doesn't make it uber interesting or anything. I mean apart from that fact which really makes it quite awesome. :)

    Becky: Um....fantastic?

    Red: I know! Your birthday's the day after mine which means neither of us have had them yet. But they're coming. Oh yes, they're coming.

    Ed: You're just inconsiderate. I mean people are out buying holiday gifts and oh! Here's Ed, demanding a birthday present. BAH! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Words: You see, that's what I'm talking about. You are 100% correct. AND you get to have a birthday in summer when it's warm and you can do stuff, outside! I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I came bact to see what you'd replied to my comment and I was all...hahaha, yeah.

    And then I saw Words's comment and got excited because my birthday is in June too. And I like to make things about me, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  35. November is 'Caribbean Month'. It's late enough where hurricanes aren't really likely, but too early for the sizable boat chartering cost increases for the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Miss O: I think we might be psychic twins or something. No wait. PSYCHOTIC twins. I always get those mixed up.

    Tex: Well. I am almost speechless. Trust you to know something this... useless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hah, well 149, keep in mind that yachting is very much like camping out in an Airstream trailer. Except you can take it ANYWHERE ON EARTH. Well except for on dry land and all.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I believe you, 75. (ha see what I did there, I made you retarded!) I actually think yachting would be a fine pursuit. I love the idea of being out floating on the turquoise ocean drinking a cocktail. You know, not during hurricanes or anything but otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  39. My Hubby is Croatian.

    Happy Birthday.

    I love November because we get turkey day here. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Whoa you scary woman, I was just leaving YOU a comment! Happy Thanksgiving with your hot Croat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. come to usa. we have thanksgiving! and black friday. it's not boring at all. ok, i don't do black friday, but still thankgiving is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sarah: Oh I'm a big T'giving fan - I lived in the US for ten years! Actually last year I bought a bunch of new stuff in the Black Friday sales without killing ANYONE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Well happy birthday month! I agree though, generally a boring month... November is just the on-ramp to Christmas time! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Angie: Thank you! It's also the on ramp for winter which sadly is not my favourite time. Or anyone's really. Well except maybe sadists.

    ReplyDelete
  45. morrissey looks like basil fawlty is trying to take over his face....

    ReplyDelete
  46. You know, I can actually kind of see Morrissey running a seaside hotel and being cantankerous. It seems just like him. :)

    ReplyDelete

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...