Today I managed two marvellous things. 1) I got a semi decent night's sleep for once, and 2) I made a Tres Leches Cake.
Tres leches might be my favourite cake in the history of cake, but I never attempted my own till now so yippee for me I guess! Haven't tasted it yet, it's in the fridge, but all my extremities are happy knowing it's there waiting... If you've never had tres leches cake and you see it someplace, seriously - try it. Unless you're lactose intolerant or something in which case, it'll probably kill you.
The morning today started off really nicely. I was up early, it was sunny out, I had a drive by the ocean then picked up my cake ingredients on the way home. I grabbed a coffee as well from the evil S. and the second I got home, it rained! Well. I guess it's a four seasons in a day type of day. Now I'm hard at work (well, clearly NOT) so I guess rain's ok. It's so nice to see the million blossom trees everywhere at the moment. Lovely that is, unless you're my poor car which is covered in sticky crap ALL the time. It looks like I just drove through a hedge. Ugh.
What's up for the rest of the day? Work, eating cake and listening to Tom Waits singing his pretty little songs about messed up shit. It's all good.
I am in fact "lactose intolerant." However, occasionally I have to say 'damn the torpedoes" and eat something that is laden with the stuff. Ice cream is the big problem and I'd willingly suffer for a while for some of it. Tres Leches would be the same.
ReplyDeleteI'm not an ice cream fan oddly, or a big milk person these days but the tres leches pretty much blasts that no creamy stuff thing out of the water because it's AWESOME. Thanks Mexico! Also I couldn't allow myself to be lactose intolerant because CHEESE.
ReplyDeleteYou had me at "cake". Plus, as an added bonus, no lactose intolerance issues to worry about. Actually, the fact that I can eat just about anything without ill effects is a pet peeve of my wife who has stomach issues with practically everything.
ReplyDeleteMmm... cake... and that's a good cake. Honestly, a good method to life is find foods you love then learn to make that. Food is the universal reward. Sure, it's nice to have someone make the awesome thing for you... but when you can do it, and you do it enough to really master it the way you like it, it's divinity. It's how I got into doing things like brewing, making cheese, roasting coffee, BBQ, soup dumplings... It's madness, but it's tasty madness I can assure you.
ReplyDeleteThis may also be why I am rotund. I have no regrets.
Vinny: I call that "balance". :)
ReplyDeleteWell I'm all about tasty madness, for sure. Thing is, I hate cooking. I love eating the results, but I hate the cooking. But I have a whole web folder full of shit I want to try making that sounds awesome and so I need to just do it. I find that opening a nice bottle of wine while I cook helps. :)
ReplyDeleteso your car is like a chia pet? Organic stuff growing all over it.
ReplyDeleteI've tried tres leches in Spanish speaking countries. It's a great word to remember around desert time.
Another great Spanish word is cerveza.
But if you are lactose intolerant then I guess banos (it needs that squiggly thing over the 'n' but I don't know to put that in the comments)
hey don't be blog intolerant
ReplyDeleteLisle: haha sorry, been on vacation for the last two and a bit weeks, just got back. More late today. See I have an EXCUSE damn it.
ReplyDeleteYou had me at cake. Mmmmm. Caaaaaaaake.
ReplyDelete