Last week I had the dubious pleasure of sleeping in four different countries, on four consecutive nights, one of which wasn't even a blip on my itinerary. This wasn't really something on my "to do" list exactly, it just worked out that way in a sort of unprecedented clusterfuck of travel plans gone awry. Sometimes these things provide interesting diversions, when everything's just so out of your control you can sit back and attempt some level of enjoyment, knowing there's nothing else you can do.
 |
| The view from my hotel room. It was light like this till 1am. |
The second, and most interesting, of those nights I slept in Iceland, a consequence of flight delays leaving me not a chance in hell of making my connecting flight and instead being bussed to a very nice little hotel in the town of Keflavic, where I had 24 hours to wander around aimlessly with no currency, no clue where I was going and a dwindling phone charge due to charger incompatibility. Despite all this is was fun and interesting.
Who expects to be in Iceland? Not I, at least not for more than an hour while I drag my tired self to my next flight. If I'd known I might have been more prepared. Too bad I didn't have enough time to troll around Reykjavic or check out the famous Blue Lagoon hot springs.
 |
| Yeah there's no fake sleeping going on in here! |
"Do you have any rather uninteresting photos you could show us, Veg?" I hear you not say? Why yes I do. I also have some rather fun aerial shots of Greenland and a story about the day I ended up in Denver drinking a margarita at 10:30am, but that's for some other time.
 |
| Barren and volcanic |
 |
| Icelandic coastline |
 |
| Creepy...built into the hillside |
 |
| A monument for sailors lost at sea? I couldn't understand the plaque. |
 |
| I don't know either, but I kind of like them |
 |
| Blue flower by the monument |
 |
| Starting to look a little stormy... Iceland's weather looks just like Scotland |
That kind of thing can fill up your passport in a hurry!
ReplyDeleteI do not find the photos to be uninteresting at all! Along with the narrative they are really good. In fact, some of them are excellent. I took the time to embiggen them all.
It is so good to have you back!
Hey Pat! Haha it would if anyone ever seemed to stamp them these days. Glad you liked the photos, they're only phone pics and small versions at that, if I'd known I was spending a whole day and night there I'd have brought my camera. :-)
DeleteI've flown over the North Atlantic but never dropped in on Iceland. A small country I think. Midnight sun stuff - that would be hard to get use to. Thanks for sharing your quick adventure there.
ReplyDeleteYeah small and mysterious. It was always fairly close to me growing up but I never went apart from plane changes at the airport. Want to return though now!
DeleteHow on earth did you end up in Iceland Veg?!?!?!
ReplyDelete(by the way: HIII! Long time no read!)
Several of my friends have been up there, I've had feedback from 3 separate trips, and they all see it's a gorgeous country you need to take the time to go explore (and see glaciers, hot steam, whales etc.)
Hey Cris! Yeah it was fascinating and I liked what I saw but I'd certainly like to see the country and the landscape. One day! I'm shocked you haven't been up there yet, sounds right up your alley! :-)
DeleteOoh! New bloggy digs. I like it! I wasn't sure if I had been lured into some stranger's van--er, blog--at first, but then I realized it really was you. *whew* Lovely pictures too!
ReplyDeleteMiss C. I think you were confused by the lack of potty mouthed ranting and almost civilised chat. I know I was. Don't get used to it.
ReplyDeleteThere's a broody charm about these pictures -- and any time I see a picture of a boat on land I feel exposed, as if someone will be by later to knock me over...
ReplyDeletePearl
Haha oh dear! Well if it makes you feel better it was only just on land by a few feet....and possibly Viking quality workmanship. Or something....Yes I'm sure off it.
DeleteOf. Never write comments with your phone. Ugh.
DeleteFour different countries in four consecutive days??? It's tiring even thinking about it. I've only seen one country in my entire life. And that's because I go outside sometimes!
ReplyDeleteTo be fair I hadn't planned on it, it just happened and took me three days to get home! Sort of a tiring adventure with heavy bags. :-)
DeleteI always do love your photos, even one you think are not interesting!
ReplyDeleteWell thank you Senor Skypop! They're interesting to me, just maybe not other people. Which is fine. But I'm glad you like them.
ReplyDeleteWhat the hell is up with the creepy doll like creatures in the store window???? That could have scared me if I was looking at this post first think in morning. Lucky for you, I'm not.
ReplyDeleteThe real question.....never mind 4 different countries, when the hell are you going to stay in the great State of Connecticut? So much to see and so much traffic. :-)
Dude, I do not know. They were just bizarre and I'm all about bizarre, as you know. As for Connecticut, do you mean THAT BIG SUBURB OF NEW YORK CITY? :)
ReplyDeleteSometime I'm definiteyelgejn (can't spell today) visiting Iceland. I've always wanted to go there!
ReplyDelete