Monday, June 23, 2014

I Made This!



I've been crocheting a blanket!  Yes, really!  Because if summer's about anything it's about making things that can make you even warmer.  This beast was started a few years ago when I was trying to get through a great northern winter with my sanity intact, then I stopped when it got so large it was starting to create a shadow observable from space (and possibly speed up global warming), and now I've started it up again, on a quest to actually finish it this time.  Did I mention it's huge?  Like super-California-king sized huge?  Because it is. The photo's a little misleading, the colours are a little darker and brighter than they appear here.  Burnt orange, a yellowy-leaf green and a more orangey egg yolk yellow.  It looks like the seventies came along when I was asleep and threw up on it. It is THAT awesome.

How's your summer been so far? For me summer so far's been puzzling.  Lots of rain, thunderclouds and perplexing lack of real summer weather.  The few fantastically sunny days have been spent in the outdoors grinning like an idiot (I love summer) and the others have been spent scooping my bottom lip up off the floor at the disappointment of yet more rain.  I hope this stops soon.  I don't survive winter for this nonsense in the summer.  Please let someone in charge know.

As you were.





13 comments:

  1. It's pretty much been all rain all the time here... which sucks, cause my roof leaks if the rain comes down the right way. That and the canine's resentment of Thor makes things more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, dude, this summer is awful so far. We have the odd beautiful day then next day back to overcast and stormy. Gah! Poor canine. They really don't enjoy the rumblings do they? Hope your roof stays up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're supposed to be having our rainy season here but it's been so hot I swear you can see wisps of smoke rising off the people who come in from outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or else they're wisps of magic....I don't know what I'm talking about either. I think we got your rainy season. You can have it back now!

      Delete
  4. The colors look reggae to me. Since you are making this yourself I would say you could stop at any point. Sure a corner would be better. Making things yourself always makes them better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisle: They are not very reggae in real life, but I see where you're coming from! I like it a lot. If I stopped now though it would be long as hell and thin. Needs to be more square so I will persevere until it's a huge, stripey, all encompassing winter cosy. Yup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my first experiences with Mouse was him in a storm. The lightning cracked, and I watched the dog vault as far as he could straight upwards and try to bite the sky. Seriously, he got issues with Thor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like this....you keep the rain, because here in CT, the weather has been AMAZING!!! Sunny, no humidity and just sunny ....did I mention sunny? Because it is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would LOVE to help you out and take that rain. We've only had about eight inches in the last year. Can't complain about the weather here though (other than the no rain part). This summer is as mild as spring was, which was as mild as winter was, which was as mild as autumn was. (sorry, I'm sure that was boring).

    Your blanket looks pretty darn good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our summer has been mild too, but I'm okay with it because our deck vegetable garden is LOVING every minute of it. We have lettuce and spinach enough to feed a flock of Honey Boo Boos (y'know, if Honey Boo Boo ate greens).

    Last year the heat made our lettuce bitter and killed off all our other plants, but this year it's like a yummy jungle out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lord: Poor puppy. Pups don't like loud sky noises I find. It upsets their strange doggy equilibriums. He must LOVE summer then, ha!

    Pat: Believe me I'd love to have sent it to you. Rain, rain, rain. UGH! It's fine now but last month, horrible! Sorry for delay in response here, I have no excuse except SUMMER!

    Cora: I bet! It's great your stuff's growing well and you normally get nasty humid heat in summer in the Windy City, huh? Heat here is drier usually but even here it's been mild this year. Still swimming weather though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That blanket is AMAZING. And, this summer in Sweden? Like eight weeks of +27 C and beaming sunshine to the point of me not going outside because it burns my eyes and my skin and I crawl back into the house crying and screaming about the apocalypse? Yes. Something to that effect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I demand a repeat on this summer! It has been a disgrace...you'll be warm this winter though.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...