Thursday, October 24, 2013

Remembering the Magic

Autumn has arrived complete with blazing orange leaves and sharp cold and even the occasional blue sky.  I like it. The contrast is breathtaking. It's not at that place where you curse when you touch a metal object with your bare skin or scrunch up your toes in your boots to keep the blood from freezing, but it's slowly getting there.  Winter is always on the horizon.

I loved Halloween as a kid, and a few days later, if you were in the UK, Guy Fawkes night. In my memories the nights were brisk with cold, dark with a scattering of stars and our breath suspended in the air while the darkness became illuminated by fireworks and bonfires.

One of my earliest memories, harks back to when I was about three years old, sitting on a step in the back garden of the old tenement flats where we lived, with Slow Sandra, a little girl my own age who was mentally impaired. I didn't know it at the time, though.  We rode tricycles together and played with dolls. Then I grew up while she stayed a child.  Slow Sandra had a much older brother who would set off fireworks for us to watch while we sat in our winter coats and clapped.

Nowadays, all I clap for is people falling over on ice and when someone offers to refill my wine glass.  Where is the magic now? Do we just grow up, grow old and nothing is special any more?

I spent some time in the desert, fairly recently. The wonder of the colours, the heat, the vast, open expanse of hot, sandy nothing and the clear blue skies, made me feel alive. It made me remember the magic and I realized that it is, in fact, still present, you just have to know where YOUR magic lies.

And that's the corniest thing I've said in a long time.

15 comments:

  1. That WAS pretty corny.

    But then again, you ARE the vegetable assassin. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pearl: GROAAAAN! :) Wash your mouth out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, wherever you find it. I once found it under the bed covered in lint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping that the magic is around the HOUSE WE'VE JUST BOUGHT. You know, so it doesn't become clear to us that we've made a horrible mistake, that is. Eh.
    Otherwise, nature is a wonderful place, especially around the times where the bugs are mostly asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the corn! the corn!
    Have you gone and fallen in love or something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know where my magic is, but if you say it's out there I am going to pull together a search party. If they are out there all night and come back with nothing, I am sending them straight to you missy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I REALLY like your new layout. I like the bold colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Vegetable Assassin, motivational speaker. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're getting philosophical in your old age!

    Sorry I haven't been around much, but Mr. Eva has been in and out of the hospital and rehab for the past 2 months. He finally comes home tomorrow! Things should get to somewhere near normal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ellet: YAY for that! I'm sure the magic in the house YOU WILL MAKE. OH man, I'm getting worse...

    NanU: Hahaha, jeez woman, I say one thing that isn't about talking mice or stupidity and you all think I'm sick. Pffft!

    Daniella: It will be found! I found mine tonight in a glass of Australian wine. It is what it is.

    Angel Jo: Thank you! Oddly enough it occurred to me that everytime I change the layout it ends up orange and blue. It must be the colours of psychosis. Or magical awesomeness. You decide. Ha! :)

    Nic: You shut your dirty, world travelling mouth, woman.

    Eva; I haven't been around much either lately and man, poor Mr.Eva, I didn't know he was in AGAIN! I hope this is the last time and it's plain sailing for his health now and you can relax. GET WELL MR. EVA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad I figured out at an early age that the older one gets, the more the world tries to beat the magic out of you in favor of many months to years lost in the throng of tedium.

    But life doesn't have to be so.

    Give it, since I'm a glorious escapist, I'm usually writing stories in my head. Since I have a fair drive to work, it is rather nice to make up some crap to which occasionally gets developed into an actual story on paper. And outside of that, I have so many hobbies that keep me busy. Like in a few moments, I'll be bottling raspberry mead. Brewing is like a mini science workshop. You have the chemistry of the sugars, how you're extracting them, how you're making it ripe for enzymes to convert them into smaller sugars that the yeast you're about to shove in love to eat. And good old biology of the yeast eating sugar, pissing booze and farting CO2. Honestly, it's fascinating and wonderful to me that all those processes come together in a way that allows me to get drunk.

    The world is a crazy beautiful place if you care to look for it. Then again, I made no claims to sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And you're all the better for it, Lord. Also raspberry mead you say? That sounds FANTASTIC. I too have my creativity and interests and if only I had more time for them. Soon!!! I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't seen my magic, since I had a issue with my wand...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I have a life sized Dobby statue in my living room, so magic is always bouncing off the walls here. In fact, just this morning Dobby apparently stole my bus card right out of my coat pocket, the little scamp. Now I'm not going to dust him for three months just to get even.

    By the way, in Kindergarten I had a slow friend too. It would take her five minutes to ask my mom "can........... Cora.............. play.......... today............?" but I didn't think anything of it. I was the only kid in school with a British accent, so I think I just assumed she had an accent as well. We were both made fun of for how we spoke, so *POOF!* we became instant best friends.... until 1st Grade when she had to go into special education classes (and it was the 70's, so I rarely saw her after that because they never mixed the special ed kids with the regular kids and kept them quarantined in a small room at the back of the school). Yep.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...