Sunday, October 30th, 2011 - An introspective random rant
I used to think maybe I was a bit odd, however, lately I've revised my over critical analysis to read, "Veg is the epitome of normal and it is the rest of the world that is out of sync". Because the biggest barometer a person has for what constitutes "normal" is themselves, no? Everything else you decide is based on that assumption and is rated by comparison. I may not think like you, but that's okay. I may be exceptionally compassionate, I may be nice, or have moments of insanity, or fuck things up spectacularly, or be an evil monster, or just be all of the above. Every one of us is a composite of ideas. It's really okay.
I read a lot of blogs. Theoretically, at least. In actuality, I read a lot of blogs when time permits or general apathy hasn't rendered me a totally useless dullard. I read all sorts of blogs too. Some of you I've known a long time and I consider you actual friends. I enjoy keeping up with your doings because your doings have a place in my life, they amuse or interest me or keep me sane when things are far from it and they complement a good cup of coffee well.
Some of you are interesting because you're not like me at all. For example, you might be a corporate executive or gay or religious or a Republican or a serial killer or a mom or a nun or the anti-Christ or someone who embraces push-ups like an old friend. It makes you interesting, your not being like me. Because if you were all like me, well holy hell that would be boring. I'm boring. I see me every day. I know how I operate. You? Not so much. I don't mind difference. I only mind intolerance.
I'm a very liberal person. I'm not fond of rules. Now, I didn't say I don't follow them - hell I've lived long enough to know that in these first world lands of the free, you are anything BUT. But I'm liberal IN MY THINKING to a great degree. If I want to build a liveable tree house in the woods and exist there, I should be able to without anyone's PERMISSION. I think the tax system is fucked up and that we all pay far too much of it, but it doesn't mean I don't do it. I think gay marriage should be legal everywhere. I think prostitution should also be legal. I don't think I should have to pay taxes for things like schools when I don't have kids. I think all people should be entitled to health care they can afford. I should never have to account for myself to anyone unless I've committed a heinous crime. Other than that, leave me alone to do my thing and I won't get in your way.
I don't like kids either. I tolerate them. I have severe indifference towards them. They don't make me gooey with adoration or concerned or happy in any way, at least until they get to a respectable age. They just exist much like I do. You can't have a decent philosophical discussion with them about the meaning of life or the zombie apocalypse or why we seem so damn afraid of letting them see anything sexual, yet will happily allow them to watch car chases and madmen and bloody gun battles on screen. Plus you can't send a kid to the store to buy you gin or tequila. They just seem like expensive, hard work. I like sleeping late when time permits and drinking coffee in a leisurely manner and drinking wine on Friday nights and not driving small people all over the city to sports events.
But I will happily read about you doing it. Because I don't mind if YOU like kids an awful lot. I respect that. Kind of like gratuitous body piercing. It's not for me, but I certainly support your right to stick a pin through whichever orifice or fleshy part you want in order for you to be "you".
So basically you can be whoever you are and I will most likely approve, regardless of your beliefs. Unless you are intolerant of people who are not like yourself, then I probably have no time for you, or, for that matter, you for me. If you hate people who are different from you purely because they ARE different from you, then we have a problem.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's the What What
So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...
-
You know what? Swearing's a fine tool to have in your arsenal, and Lord knows it's my favourite power tool of all - even better tha...
-
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 – achey breaky knee, Tonka Bean chocolate is good, digging plaid Hi! Yes you! Remember me? I sometimes post n...
-
Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, mid afternoon, coffee wearing off, feeling disagreeable. I'm not a very child friendly person, I fully ...
From one liberal to another. Well done.
ReplyDeleteAmen sista! I couldn't have said it better myself.
ReplyDeleteWanna babysit my kid?
SAME, missy! I love this old cliche "Why can't we all just accept eachother?"! I try my best not to judge people because I sometimes find myself falling back into the "that's not how it should be"-pattern and I DON'T LIKE IT.
ReplyDeleteI don't even understand why someone's buisness should be everyone's buisness, regardless of it being blogging or why I chose to get a tattoo. Don't like it? Don't get one. Don't like my blog? Don't read it. But people have this need to express their distain for other who doesn't fit the cookie cutter, because.. it.. makes them better? Uhm.
I don't mind paying taxes for schools or other public services that I don't use, because other people pay for things I've used and they haven't. I think that's how it should be really.
That was a very telling "rant" and I applaud you for putting it all out there so to speak. There is no such thing as "normal" and if there was I wouldn't want to be it. We thrive on our differences from others and laugh at the people who don't "get it."
ReplyDeleteProstitution isn't legal? Oh, shit!
ReplyDeleteI need to make a phone call.
This is going to sound flip and insincere, but truly it's not.
ReplyDeleteME, TOO!
It's OK if we are both liberal thinkers, think anyone who wants to should be able to get married anywhere they want, don't have kids, don't much like kids, and like leisuresly weekend mornings over coffee, innit?
Dazee: Haha, thank you! I don't care if someone's conservative or liberal or like....BLUE....so long as they don't expect everyone to be the same. I might not understand their view sometimes but I'm perfectly happy for them to have it.
ReplyDeleteCora: I make an exception for Wednesday. :) Plus she's creative and practically a grown lady.
Wynn: Yes ma'am! And now you put it like that, I guess you're right on the taxes, even though, off the top of my head, I can't think of stuff I use that someone with kids doesn't. Help me out here...
Laughingmom: Yeah let's do that! Only as a mom I won't laugh at YOU (mainly because you're funny so I only laugh WITH you) and in return you will follow my every command. No? Damn. Worth a try!
Mr. Mahal: Maybe in the Devil's playground (Nevada)! :) I damn well love Nevada. Not for prostitution reasons of course, I have no knowledge of such shenanigans, but hell, where can you watch all the crazy of the world in one place any day of the week? Vegas, that's where. You know I'm right.
CaS: Dude,damn straight. Kids would seriously impact the amount of time I can sit around in my underwear drinking coffee in the morning and staring blankly at the walls for 2 hours till I wake up. I can't be messing with that.
I love blogs for this very reason. I love reading about people completely different than me. But even more than that, I find it phenomenal that us different types of people all over the world share this one common space. And I have for along time thought that all the great, normal, exciting, interesting, funny, cool, people have disappeared from the world. But all I have to do is look on the blogosphere and find them again.
ReplyDeleteI know, I agree. It's a great arena for diverse personalities to thrive together. Good lord, I sound like I should be singing Koombaya and polishing my halo. I also like that you are probably the youngest person on my blog roll but you already know a lot about what you want and what you believe and I enjoy hearing it.
ReplyDeleteWait? We're all different?! Well, This changes things...
ReplyDeleteWe're all different, Vinster, however, don't for a moment think this means I cannot KICK YOUR ASS. :)
ReplyDeleteWe're all beautiful unique special snowflakes. And this special snowflake is seriously biting her tongue about all the tax talk. I'm an evil pro-taxer...although I do think that there needs to be a serious overhaul of how tax dollars are spent and who gets to make the decisions. BUT I won't discuss politics here. Because you're a beautiful special snowflake and I love you even if you do think that all snot-nosed kids should live on the street and earn their right to an education by shining boots with old newpaper. What? You didn't say that? Oh, I don't read what people write. I just project my own biases and assumptions onto other people's words. You should try it sometime; it makes blog-reading even more exciting!
ReplyDeleteHuh? I never noticed that we were all different. Where have I been?
ReplyDeleteAll true, BUT, what if you build your tree house in the woods and some gay married hookers who collect taxes get all up in your business about health codes and plumbing rules?
ReplyDeleteWho's liberal now, huh?
Good post Veg, well said, for reals.
Ah, if only there were more tolerance in this world...then we could kill all the politicians.
ReplyDeleteAll together now: "We're all individuals! We're all different!"
ReplyDelete"I'm not."
This reminds me...
ReplyDeleteI started following a fashiony-type blog over a year ago. Lately, I've noticed that it's turned more into one of those narcissistic, "look at me because I'm so hot" blogs. Which is fine. But it's not really my thing.
The blog owner has been a follower of mine for probably just as long. She hasn't commented in a while, so maybe she's gone off my blog as well. But basically what I'm getting at is... What would the Veg Assassin do- unfollow or what?
I'm actually going to blog about this, but I'd like your opinion.
Also- if you ever find yourself in one of those "pregnancy" situations, I'll take that little monster off your hands right-quick.
Yeah Lighten Up - that's my blog theme. Being open to others is so much better than the closed opposite. Now in reading through your rant which reads more like a personal philosophy I find a few things I could argue about but I don't want to. Arguing in comment sections is just dumb - want to argue about that?
ReplyDeleteBut it would be nice if you could just show the comments instead of waiting for the damn moderation.
I love when you get on your soapbox, but there is usually a reason.
ReplyDeleteHmmmmm....
Stephanie: See I'm not going to fight you about taxes - you approve of them, I do not. It's not going to ruin my evening that the world doesn't agree with me. I'll allow it. :) I AM a special snowflake, however. You got that right, lady!
ReplyDeleteEva: well, frankly, you're too busy eating delectable things on Sundays to notice ANYTHING, woman. :)
Tumbleweed: Aw come on now. Ruining my fantasy with unlikely but intriguing scenarios. Maybe I'd just befriend those gay hookers and change their opinion on taxes. I could do that you know. I am VERY persuasive.
Martin: Bahahahaha! Touche me dear, touche!
TJ: They don't come more individual than YOU, Sir, you crazy fiend. That's a compliment.
Gunny: Should I do an agony aunt type of column here? Blog advice for the confused? No. I should not. I'm not going to tell you what to do. Just this. Do you still read this blog? Do you still enjoy it? If the answer to either is "NO" UNFOLLOW. Nothing wrong with it. One only has so many hours in the day after all.
Lisle: I'm not going to argue with YOU, Bill, heavens! As for the moderation thing, I get spam. Plus I'D like a million bucks delivered by an owl at midnight, but that's not happening either! Suck it up. :) I jest. Maybe.
I have unfriended quite a few folks over on the book of faces because they can't seem to resist digging at what I believe in. I think we are all entitled to believe in whatever we want to, but there seems to be a niche in our society that only exists to argue or attempt to sway you over to their side.
ReplyDeleteI call these people a cute little nickname, "Those who I shall kill one day".
Two of my good friends have been a Mormon and a Republican.
ReplyDelete...There are certain things we agree to disagree on - specifically their constant need to "save" my soul.
I'd like to be the polar opposite in some contexts. How about a serial-killing liberal nun this week?
ReplyDelete:-)
You can pick next week.
Have to disagree with you on one point. I am happy to pay taxes to get other people's kids off to school and off the street. Squealy little buggers.
ReplyDeleteYep we're all different.
ReplyDeleteI only come here for the stories about toasting kids over open fires....
I always just go back to what Michael Caine's character said in "Austin Powers: Goldmember" - "There are two kinds of people I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures, and the Dutch."
ReplyDeleteAlso, I like that you're in this world. It makes my reader that much more interesting.
Skypop: Dude, that IS fluffy, yes. Adorable really. And I might adopt it. Even if the killing is merely inside my head.
ReplyDeleteJUST ME: Oh jeeze, seriously, saving my soul is not on the agenda and people better get used to it. How about everyone who is inclined concentrate on saving their OWN souls and I'll do my best to save myself? How about that? :)
Flyn: That sounds like a PLAN! And a TV movie of the week. :) Let's make it!
Murr: There you go, making a good point. In that case, it might be worth the tax sacrifice. I'll mull it over.
Mace: Then you will never be disappointed my Scottish, huckleberry friend. (huh?)
Joshua: Haha, yeah those damn Dutch with their noisy wooden shoes and their good cheese. Damn them all! :) Is it coincidence I am currently wearing a t-shirt with "AMSTERDAM" on front? No it is not.
I've noticed for quite a while now that you are different, but now you're saying that I am, too?!
ReplyDeleteI suspected as much.
:-)
Pearl
I'm a pessimistic optimist and a liberal religious person. I may be schizophrenic or partially broken, but it makes me happy to be so.
ReplyDeleteI don't have kids, but I'm okay with paying for schools - it avoids having to pay for prisons, welfare, food aid, and other such things down the line.
ReplyDeleteI'm very happy to be childless by choice, but I've found I'm unlike a lot of other folks in my position in that I love children. I mean, a lot. Which always makes people say that means I'd be a good mom, which is silly. I also love monkeys, but that does not mean I should own a monkey.
You know, you're right. I thought having kids would be a convenient way to have someone to go fetch gin and tequila for me, but it wasn't the case. I think I'll send them back...
ReplyDeleteNah. ;)
I don't discriminate. I hate EVERYONE. Whether they are like me or not. But let's be honest, there's no one quite like me. There is only so much AWESOME in this world, and I have most of it.
ReplyDeleteP.S. And even though you are completely different from me, a ginger, and a bitchy smartass kid-hating liberal hippy, I think I love you.
ReplyDeletePearl: Different is your middle name, lady. Wear it with PRIDE!
ReplyDeleteCharlie: Good for you! And if I even remotely understood that, I'd probably agree with you. :) Or not. Who can tell!
Brigid: Well I knew YOU would make a valid and decent point. Plus I don't HATE kids so much as I just don't have much in common with them except my juvenile sense of humour. I even like a couple of them. Depends on the kid really. I'm about 80/20 against though, I think that's a fair ratio. :)
Dawn: Well, they ARE allowed to fetch chocolate so you know, all hope isn't lost! Ha!
Ed: Yes, yes, Edward, you are awesome, we know. You've told us SO MANY TIMES. Thing is, you've yet to prove you are in any way more awesome than myself. It's a hard thing to do, so don't feel too bad. Also? I am NOT a ginger, I am STRAWBERRY BLONDE which is a nicer way of putting it, no? And I am not a hippy because hippies would not threaten to kick you right up your ass. Kisses! :)
word! and can you add marijuana to that legalization list of yours?
ReplyDeleteI am totally normal for me! Great post and I agree with almost all ot it, or maybe all even all of it... Sorry, it's the ADD in me.
ReplyDelete