Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Eh! Team

Thursday, August 18th, 2011 – A little cheese with that whine?

Well. There’s some rusty old saying about how you can’t please all the people all the time and you can’t please an ornery Torontonian any of the time, or I could have just made that up. I’ll never tell! Proving my point, however, after my terribly illuminating insight into the great state of Ohio the other day, I received the following message from the wonderfully acid, prone to wordy tantrums, Toronto's own, The Real Johnson, who wished to lodge a complaint. The complaint is below, in full and PLEASE, feel free to unleash your wrath in the comments. Me, I am neutral like Switzerland. Flame on, people.

Dear Vegetable Assassin,
While I’m a frequent reader of the trials and tribulations, talking to mice, drinking of wine, and cracking of wise that’s chronicled on www.vegetableassassin.blogspot.com on a ridiculously prolific basis, there’s one trend on your otherwise fantastic blog that I simply can’t stand for anymore.
I’m talking of course about your systematic glorification of every single frigging American state.
While your efforts are noble in that you seem hell-bent on actually writing something about each and every one of them, I must object to yet another instance where American jingoism seems to be blinding a good writer from waxing philosophical on far more worthy a subject of her praise and investigation.

I’m talking of course about Canada.

Now, generally, we Canadians are content to simply be aware that our country is the greatest country on earth. We’re a humble bunch and our clean air, universal health care, ridiculously prolific national hockey programs and, of course, far, far superior beer are usually more than enough to keep us satisfied. Furthermore, not only do we not feel the need to brag, we’re also well aware of the likely consequences of too much bragging; namely one thing virtually no one wants too much of: visiting Americans.

However, as you seem to roll your praise across the United States (in an insanely out-of-sequence road trip, I might add), I can’t help but feel slighted without the inclusion of Canada. I sat quiet through North Dakota, West Virginia, Kansas, et al. Hell, I even kept my mouth shut when the craziest of all states, Florida, got its day in the sun. I chuckled as you shared ominous facts about various states and I bit my tongue about your Americentricism.

Until today.

Today was the last straw. God damn it if Ohio is worthy of almost a thousand words from the Vegetable Assassin then surely someone’s got to speak up for Canada!
I’m not going to get into tired clichés about how much better Canada is than the United States. That’s been done before and it’s certainly not what I’m trying to say here. It would be a waste of time to talk about our abundant fresh water and natural resources. It’s not helpful to note that one of these two countries is morbidly obese while the other enjoys a relatively healthy average weight. No one needs to point out that watching right-wing Americans spout off on Fox News makes even the most Liberal Canadian want to kiss our own Conservative Prime Minister on the mouth for being so open-minded by comparison.

I’m not going to do any of that.

And I won’t bore you with tales of how woefully ignorant most Americans are about The Great White North. I’ll skip the story of a friend who worked at the border and greeted people driving in from Michigan with skis on their roof in July. I’ll likewise skip the tale of a staged argument my friend waged with another friend in front of Americans about whose igloo was better.

Those types of comments are hurtful and don’t help inter-continental relations.

Similarly, if you do choose to write about Canada I hope you’ll skip the tired fact that we pronounce things properly and spell things the way the English do. Sure, they invented the language, but who’s to say whether Yanks or Brits are right when it comes to the English language. Y’all can do things however you like.

Instead, I hope you’ll give Canada a fair shake and simply share some interesting and enlightening facts about what I consider the greatest nation on earth. If fucking Ohio is worthy, surely we are too.
Sincerely,
The Real Johnson
(Here’s a little something to get you started:
  • Canada is governed as a parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy
  • Jeopardy host Alex Trebek is Canadian.
  • So is Pamela Anderson (her tits, however, are not)
  • Canada's national sport is lacrosse. No one has any idea why.
  • Without Canada, there would be no Star Trek: Captain Kirk and Scotty were both Canucks.
  • Basketball was invented by a Canadian
  • Making love to a Canadian makes you smarter and gives you shiny hair.
  • We all wear plaid in the winter.)
Thank you, Mr. Johnson. When I have finished with the US, I will consider doing the great, white north a great big solid.

45 comments:

  1. well, well. who'd'a thunk it. A Canadian wanting - begging - for his country to be treated as that 51st wannabe US state. sheesh. All that whining about how they're a whole separate country up there, but what do they really lust after? being just like us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scotland is the greatest nation in the world. Without the Scots who would've designed the bridges and built them? Who would have populated Canada and Australia with intelligent people (The Irish went to the USA)? Where would the all-conquering British Army have been without its Highland Regiments?

    Scotland forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NanU: I get the feeling you're going to hear about THAT statement.:) Haha. Let the war commence.

    Martin: Well hell yes. I'm not going to disagree with that. Hmm, maybe I'm less neutral than I thought?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BUT WHAT ABOUT MEXICO?!?!?

    ....Yeah. I got nothin'.




    You could always sample tequila by region, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm English by the way, though I do have some Scottish blood. I keep it in a vial on the shelf.

    The war of the words between Yanks and Canucks shoud be great fun from over here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My country is populated by alcoholic spiders, criminal politicians, racist snakes, xenophobic misogynist scorpions, kangaroos that could kick Chuck Norris sorry white arse, homophobic killer ants and the fuckin PLATYPUS, suckers!

    I rest my case. The greatest country on earth.

    That's what this post was about, right?

    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erm, my fellow Scot, Martin (damnnit) got in here before me, and now I've got nothing left to add (exiting the post, sobbing)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicki: Now that's what I call a GREAT and intelligent idea. :)

    Martin: Yes, sit back and enjoy the bitchslapping. :)

    Sarah: Australia's slogan should be: Gidday Cobber! Australia Wants To Kill You!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Shrinky! Except he's ENGLISH so, you got ME instead. Solidarity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just as all New Zealanders are desperate to be Aussies, all that a Canadian wants is.... to be American!

    There, that just upset the Western AND Southern hemispheres in one comment!
    Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear The Real Johnson,

    Your arguments, although cliche and tired, were delivered with passion and conviction.
    However, they became flaccid and laughable the moment you said Canada was the greatest country on Earth.

    Our Salvation Army could kick Canadas ass.

    eh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not going to get involved... I love Canada and the US of A (well, based on my one trip to each!) and I am a huge fan of my adopted country (which I call the UK or England, depending on how well our cricket team is doing!)

    I'll refrain from comment on my country of birth.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Nanu said it all! But that was a great rant by Johnson!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh tell him to shut it and sit on his didgeridoo.

    ...or curling broom. I forget which one is Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shinier hair, you say?!

    Hmm. What is it from Mpls to the Canadian border, 8, 9 hours? Maybe a little more?

    I can be there by tomorrow!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish you'd write about Burkino Faso. I have a soft spot for that country; after all, I've inherited 12 million dollars from a long-lost (and still as of yet unnamed) relative whose plane crashed there. All I have to do is contact an overly polite gentleman with my banking information. If you really want to be worldly and interesting, then you should write about Burkino Faso. Or Nigeria. Nigeria's good too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will be moving to Canada after reading this post. I will be bringing most of my state with me. Is that a problem? We'll need to rename quite a few things when I get there. You want to get started on that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joe: I'd think about going into witness protection after that comment :)

    Eddie: I suspect you'll be hearing about this. I do hope so!!!

    Nat: Join me in Switzerland. :)

    Eva: Yes, he managed to upset everyone NICELY. Well done Mr. J.

    Elly: Hahahaha. Crankypants!

    Pearl: The only problem is, to get the shiny hair you must adopt moose. MANY moose...

    Stephanie: Haha, yes, do let us know how that works out for you. :)

    Betty: I'm not seeing a problem here. I'm sure Canada will be rejoicing knowing this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just a quick note to all the Americans stating that it seems like I wish Canada was like the US: I'm not mad at you for misunderstanding my letter to VegAss. Its not your fault. You're American and I used a lot of big words.

    (also, I secretly do love you. You've given us the Detroit Red Wings, Kentucky bourbon, pizza delivery and Bob Dylan)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Honesty? I stopped reading his letter about the third or fourth paragraph. Too sick today to care. Can't I just say "Piss off" and be done with him?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Any country where you need to turn your central heating on in AUGUST is most definitely crap.

    So that rules out Scotland. And you can yammer on all you like about bloody engineers and medical pioneers and etc. It is miserable to live here.

    Just send me a ticket to the winning country will you?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I guess now that the RJ has penned almost exactly what I was going to say, I will just skip my rant about not including the Enewetak Atoll...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I need to find a Canadian. I'm spending way too much on conditioner for my hair and it needs to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ..one thing virtually no one wants too much of: visiting Americans.

    AMEN Brother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll help you get started. "[Insert province here] is known the world over for its turtlenecks and beer..."

    ReplyDelete
  26. What? No Star Trek? Sorry guys, Canada wins hands down

    ReplyDelete
  27. C'mon you guys, this no where NEAR entertaining or venemous enough. Let's gets this party started!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Canada wins hands down, even if its just because we make the BEST MOVIES EVER.

    oh wait...

    ReplyDelete
  29. We Canadians are people of simple tastes. If anything, we just start singing our national hymn :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. "I'll help you get started. "[Insert province here] is known the world over for its turtlenecks and beer..."

    I assume you mean clothing, but for all I know they chop the necks out of turtles up there and boil them, eh.

    ReplyDelete
  31. hilarious! i thought that was a worthy guest post.

    "Y’all can do things however you like" -- bwahahaha.

    by the time this 2012 election campaign, we'll all be running for the hills of canada.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've been to Toronto when we were looking somewhere else in the world besides London to live. It was 40 below and seven months pregnant and because of the extreme cold I was afraid to leave my hotel for more than 10 mins. We chose to love in Oakland, murder capital of the world, so I guess I'm sounding slightly madder than mad Jack McMad at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  33. He's sadly wrong--we know and love Canada. In fact, most movies are made there since it's so frigging expensive here! We just don't know that we know Canada more than we knew--if that makes sense. I've been there and it IS a beautiful country. And I love that comment about kissing the conservative prime minister on the mouth thing. Ours just made us want to barf from their ignorance!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oy. I feel a war has been declared. Eh?

    Good thing I'm German who owns Canadian soil and lives, works, and owns a home in the middle of the United States on the western side near a bunch of Norweigans who migrated here from Minnesota. Too far for good Canandians to give a damn. I will continue to enjoy the homefront wars from my sofa while drinking a beer and flying my American flag while drinking my Irish beer. I'm ready to hear some good jousts about maple syrup. Oh wait, the good stuff comes from the United States not Cananda.

    Can't we all get along?

    ReplyDelete
  35. I believe the exclusion of Canada is out of fear. Fear that we shall come down to the america's and hack everyone to pieces with the blades of our skates and drown the others in our perfectly golden lagers and ales.....yes it is fear.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The thing I find funniest about this is that you're not even Canadian . . .

    ReplyDelete
  37. Frankly, I'm more upset that he likes the goddamned Red Wings than that he has it in for America. That said, his complaint is a bit hoity-toity coming from a country whose most popular TV program takes place in a trailer park.

    As an American who lived in Canada for a short time, I feel uniquely qualified to settle this debate. However, I'm too smart to actually do so. You're all on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gee. Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the igloo.

    Alex Trebek is a priggish wanker, but I'm all for shiny hair and Captain Kirk. See? Now you say something nice about us and we won't invade your country and make you watch Fox News.

    ReplyDelete
  39. All I've learned from Canada is what Robin from HIMYM teaches me every week from September- May. And that many US television shows film in Vancouver because it's cheaper and it looks like the US. So maybe that's it. Canada is a cheaper, looks like but isn't verion of the United States?

    This is not ignorant at all. It is a highly well informed opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  40. The Johnson has gone all quiet now, huh, boys and girls. Thanks for your comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Here is the problem...
    That rant is the most exciting thing to come out of Canada since Second City TV. I will listen to these people when they finally explain the "Canadian bacon" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Here's the problem. Canada's not a state. The End.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've always considered Canada to be the perfect blend of American independance and natural beauties, and European common sense... so sorry Yanks!!!

    This coming from someone with an American father, a Canadian grandmother (and a Spanish mother if we want to mix things up some more).

    I don't know if I'd say best country on the earth... but Jasper National Park DEFINITELY wins MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH. Hands down. And I've been in some awesome places on this globe.

    So there.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh puh-leeze, in a cage match Han Solo and Luke Skywalker would totally kick the asses of Captain Kirk and Scotty.

    And Chuck Norris can blow bubbles with beef jerky.

    YAY! America wins. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Pat: Haha, see the thing is in Canada it's not CALLED "Canadian bacon" only in the States it's called that. So YOU GUYS are totally to blame for that. Canadians call it BACK BACON or some such thing.

    Gen: See, that sort of summed it up TOTALLY. :)

    Cris: You're totally like a melting pot of humanity.

    Holly: Snort. Oh I can't wait to see this fight get underway. I guess Han and Luke never had to wear a girdle...

    ReplyDelete

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...