What can I say about New Jersey that you don’t already know, or at least, think you know, i.e., that it’s a steaming hotbed of Bruce Springsteen, heavy industry, guidos, The Sopranos and big hair?
New Jersey is known as “the garden state”, a fact that’s puzzling to many since gardens aren’t really the first thing that spring to mind when you think of New Jersey. They might be the seventh. (The first six are Jon Bon Jovi.)
Talking of Bon Jovi, I was reading earlier that New Jersey has the densest population of any state in the United States. I thought that was kind of mean really. I mean they can’t ALL be moronic, tiny, gnome-like loudmouths with big hair who write bad song lyrics, right? Then I realized it actually meant that NJ is the most heavily populated state and well, didn’t I feel stupid! And more than a little surprised, since that had sounded entirely plausible to me.
Simmer down, I’m kidding, Jersey folks.
Anyway, industrial northern New Jersey is probably what most of us think of when we think of New Jersey, which we tend to do only when we’re forced to, usually because we have to get from New York to Philadelphia in a hurry and because New Jersey’s the only thing standing in the way. By the way, have you ever driven on the New Jersey Turnpike? It’s delightful. People driving like they’re on meth, at 90 mph and weaving all over the road? That’s where I learned my giant swear vocabulary you know – on the NJ turnpike. My only guess is they drive like that because they’re frantically doing their utmost to get out of Jersey and into Delaware or New York before it gets dark.
Wait, what was I saying about northern Jersey? Well there’s a lot of industry. End of story. It has Newark Airport, full of lots of indifferent TSA agents all vying to make your day of travel even more miserable. Oh and Elizabeth, NJ has some big docks. And more importantly, an Ikea.
One of the things NJ is famous for, other than John Travolta, Stephanie Plum and people called “Vinnie”, is the Jersey Devil – a hairy creature, descended from an old Jersey whore, and which is rumoured to be roaming the rural backwoods of Southern New Jersey. Various people have reported sightings of this fearsome beast over the decades, but I think there’s a severe possibility that it’s merely Snooki squeezed into a tiny dress several sizes too small and lost after a night out drinking tequila shots and being punched in the face by frat boys.
How about something you like about NJ, Veg, you don’t cry. Well, it’s funny you didn’t ask, because I like that it’s illegal to pump your own gas in Jersey. A dude still comes and does it for you like it’s 1955. His name’s probably Vernon or something. He has a wife named Vera, two kids (Skip and Judy) and drives a Buick with white wall tires.
What else? Oh yes, I believe there’s an ongoing skirmish between New Jersey and New York about who actually rightfully owns the Statue of Liberty. New Jersey claims it’s on their land (or water) and New York’s all, “Hey, fugeddaboudit that bitch is ours!” and people insult other people’s mamas and sulk in corners and yell insults in faux American-Italian accents. NJ gets the tiny, loud, orange goblin from “Cake Boss” to come in and throw a hissyfit. Insults are hurled. New York starts to cry. NJ then brings out the big guns by getting first son Danny De Vito involved. It’s ugly. (And he’s no oil painting either.) NY maintains principal ownership of the statue, although I believe technically it’s supposed to be shared. I would go look it up to be really accurate, but really, do you care? I don’t care. Fuck that.
Back to religion. So far NJ is a winner in one category – heathenism. Between 15 and 20% of people in NJ are not religious. Which really should endear it to me more than it does. And it’s actually a surprise because with all those Italian Guidos running around, you’d think they’d be a pretty Catholic state, no? Even though Guidos seem to break all the commandments and also a few that weren’t even invented.
I think that’s about it. I could go on, but I’ve already shortened this about three times and it’s not endearing me to the NJ populus much, so maybe it’s time to quit before someone tries to cut my throat. In the words of famous New Jerseyite, Gloria Gaynor, let me just give you a fist pump, New Jersey, and yell “I will survive!”
Next week come to California!
What? No love for Red Bank and Kevin Smith? I guess that is Springsteen Territory.
ReplyDeleteWell there's no fun in mocking Kevin Smith. I mean he has a POINT to his existence. :)
ReplyDeleteWe gave the world Baseball and oreos, too, ya know. Don't be slaggin' on my 'boken of Ho's.
ReplyDeletePS the Liberty Bitch is already pumping her fist. Just sayin'.
Also?
Tramps like us, baby we were born to ruuhhhhhhn.
i've been to NJ once. i just keep saying "this is seriously a wasteland. no, you guys, this is what it looks like after an apocalypse."
ReplyDeleteI always get a laugh reading your blog. I am especially enjoying the state "tributes." Can you put Missouri on the list after Colorado?! :)
ReplyDeleteI oten forget that New Jersey is a real state, and not just an island where New York sends it's garbage.
ReplyDeleteWell, thanks for mentioning John Travolta and not immediately following it up with a horrible insult. I feel like you're growing as a person. :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, the full-serve gas at self-serve prices (usually lower than everywhere else in the US) is one of about 5 good things about New Jersey. I can't think of the other 4 off the top of my head, though.
I think you summed up New Jersey rather well!
ReplyDeleteHaving stayed in Atlantic City and Weehawken respectively for a period of time, I must say that I LOVE California! Cheers!
ReplyDeletei love the fact most of the different parts of jersey are named after places in england haha.
ReplyDeletesoo im still waiting for your post about surrey :P or to make it easier about england in general haha
i love not my pumping my own gas, but hate the roads. there are at least 5 ways to make a left: a jughandle, a turn lane, a middle lane, a circle, or from the motherfucking passing lane. (it's not just the turnpike that brings out the trucker language.)
ReplyDeleteskankariffic is my new favorite word! i mean, have you seen our great adventure?
Elly: You aren't FROM Jersey though, I seem to recall, southern girl. Yet there you are defending your adopted homeland. It's so beautiful. And you'll notice I did already mention that old Liberty was fist pumping. You can't get that past me you know.
ReplyDeleteJess: You know, there are some lovely parts to New Jersey. Like in the movie "The Station Agent". That was NJ. And I even like Hoboken. True!
Vina: Missouri. Back to scary Ozark mountain people. Awesome! It will be done.
Ed: Oooooooh! Actually I believe they sent their waste to Staten Island which is ALMOST Jersey but not quite. I bet it sometimes smells the same when it's downwind...
Beck: I thought about it, but decided that for once he was in the company of some much more offensive celebrities. :)
Eva: Well thank you. I have a feeling NJ won't agree.
El Gato: Haha, hmmm. Well I can maybe see your point in that case!
Anthony: I lived in England for a few years you know. I am an EXPERT. Watch out.
Patty: The driving thing sounds very accurate. I lived in NY across the river. You'd always spot the people from Jersey driving in Manhattan. YOU CANNOT TURN RED ON A RIGHT TURN IN MANHATTAN, IT IS HIGHLY ILLEGAL. Stop doing that. That's one of the mild infractions.
I thought Snooki was the Jersey Devil.
ReplyDeleteMe too! Which is why I said that exact thing, up there. :) She's certainly a troll...
ReplyDeleteOh man, that was funny! I'm sure you're going to be (if not already) put on the no enter NJ list. You may get stopped at the border. I didn't know this was a series! I'm going to have to go back in time here... Loved it!
ReplyDeleteI haven't gotten to California yet, Pat. But so far, they're all evil.
ReplyDeletenow i want to go to jersey more than ever. and i'm totally being serious. it's like the land that time forgot. and by "time" i really mean "the rest of the US".
ReplyDeleteYou're a funny onion, Gunny. For real. Who says they really want to go to Jersey? You're adorable! :)
ReplyDeleteMy daughter knows who Snooki is. Oh the shame. I've tried so hard with her you know......
ReplyDeleteSee that's the poison factor with Snooki. Most of us don't watch her show although I've seen it, but we all know her. She's everywhere like a bad smell. And really she just makes us all feel better about ourselves, mainly because we know we're not her. I'm sure your daughter is using her as a cautionary tale... :)
ReplyDeleteI am glad to say that I went to high school in Jersey and I remained unaffected. Well from guidos that is,
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm glad to hear it. :)
ReplyDeleteI've only ever driven through New Jersey at high speed. Maybe I'm doing NJ a disservice. Maybe I'll never know. Although I do kind of want to visit Atlantic City. I'm not sure why, exactly.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen the episode of Scooby Doo when they go to a New Jersey-themed casino in Las Vegas? It's called New Jersey New Jersey and aims to replicate that run down, smog-laden, economically moribund look.
Haha, I can't say I remember that one, but it sounds Scoobyish. I don't know. I don't think you're missing TOO much not going to Jersey. I've seen some nice parts. But it is an industrial state.
ReplyDeleteI saw these and thought of you
ReplyDeletehttp://picky-palate.com/2010/06/14/ice-cream-sundae-brownies-2/
Oh my God, you evil woman! :) That looks amazing. And i'm not even into ice cream. Yet oddly I want that. NOW.
ReplyDeleteAw man, I'm late coming round and I miss all the fun: a meme, your self-portrait and NJ.
ReplyDeleteDo you have any chocolate left?
Well to be honest, you didn't really MISS much. Or, in fact, anything! :) But yes, there is still chocolate. OMG there is chocolate. Balls.
ReplyDeleteI had to go to urban dictionary to look up GTL, and I am kind of proud of that. You left out the rest of the countries motto for Jersey however, which is "If you're gonna give the USA an enema, this is where you start".
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy YOU said that and not me. :) Ha! Poor NJ. It can't help it.
ReplyDeleteI try to remain as ignorant as possible about NJ, hence I had no idea what GTL meant. I just googled it and you're completely correct on that one.
ReplyDeleteYou wanna know how I know what it is? And this is appalling. Walmart have t-shirts for little kids with GTL on them. For real. They also had tees for little girls that say "Girls love The Situation". I'm not even joking. Who dresses their ten year old in The Situation endorsing clothing? People who need to be arrested that's who.
ReplyDeleteOooh oooh, dude. Do California, do California! Love this series of hilariousness : )
ReplyDeleteCalifornia in a few weeks. I'm sure granola and hippies will feature heavily. So much material so little time. :)
ReplyDeleteWho needs a map when we've got you? You are a minefield of knowledge... my encyclopedia of Blogland.
ReplyDeleteHey great job at ridiculing my state Veg! Ma' hat off to you m'lady; you were actually pretty dead on. I'm one of the asshole drivers that tailgates and switches from lane to lane like a mad man trying to get one car ahead in traffic. I take pride in it, really. We smell like a fart, but we're good folk. And having the manhattan skyline for a backyard isn't too bad either.
ReplyDeleteSD&BS: I'm a virtual minefield of explosive facts and only some of them are made up!
ReplyDeleteJ: Tut tut. Tailgating hussy! :) Every time I had to drive in Jersey I must've seen you. Ha!
Happy National Sticky Bun day here in the US of A.
ReplyDeleteGoddamn. I love sticky buns. Well, so long as they're the edible variety and not...you know...
ReplyDeleteSo... lower middle NJ is the best?
ReplyDeleteWait, did I make that joke about Mass also? Sorry.
I think "Jersey Shore" has really upped the value of the state for me. Now I can appreciate it on a personal level. Because it makes me laugh, frees me up to really show off my boobs, and makes me feel better about my height. If I'm feeling ignored down here, I can just do kartwheels commando. Thank YOU, Snooki.
ReplyDeleteNew Jersey. I have never seen that dumb show that Snooki's in (she's the only character from there I know). I only know the show is dumb because everyone says so. And I tend to believe what people say. Anyways, I liked your Statue of Liberty tan. Most excellent.
ReplyDeleteEric: I think it's all comparable...Compared to the rest of Jersey, maybe. :)
ReplyDeleteMuffin: Let's not forget you can dye your skin orange and wear thongs and if you could just eat a few more sandwiches (AND CAKES) you'd fit in with Snooki.
Shanimal: Yes, I find that believing what everyone else says is beneficial too. Plus when you're proved wrong about something you can just blame them. Rock on!
"What is a Snooki?"
ReplyDeleteIf I had a quarter for every time I heard that from an older person, I'd be able to hire a hitman to take out the show's cast/producers so I didn't have to continuously hear about their obnoixous shit. Hate it. Don't care who knows it.
Haha, every time I think of that South Park episode I cackle to myself. I can't even watch the damn Jersey Shore show. I occasionally flick past it and watch for a few moments but find I really want to punch something hard and quickly move on. UGH!
ReplyDeleteMiss Shanimal: I have done the 7 facts thing about 300 times and I will do it again if I can find 7 more facts that I haven't used already. :) Thank you!
ReplyDeleteOnly 300 times? Man, I thought you would've done it at least 301. Oh, and you're welcome! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm seeing this one being a Friday special in the next couple of weeks. :) Any excuse to rant about crap about ME.
ReplyDeleteWhile I was in Wales, I sullied my Mother-in-law's TV by watching the first 30 seconds of the Jersey Shore. I couldn't help it. She has satellite and we don't. I've never seen the show (and if that means that I live under a rock, then so be it.) I just had to see what all the hype was about. In the short clip that I watched, someone slapped someone else, someone fell over drunk and half the audio was bleeped out. Oh, and I think someone's panties flew across the screen but I can't be 'shore'.
ReplyDeleteGo Joy-sy. - G
Wait, they have a county, on land, called Ocean? My mind just exploded.
ReplyDeleteGeorgy: I believe every episode has that plotline. :) And yes, I groaned at "shore". Well done!
ReplyDeleteMartini: I know. I think someone looked around them, frowned, said "let's name it after something we can see" and voila. Ocean County. If I ever get my own state I'm calling it "CHEESE".
Holy Hammock. I me mine please.
ReplyDeleteYou posted on the wrong entry you mad BINT. :) The hammock's mine. You can have Snooki from THIS entry instead, ok? Crazy lady.
ReplyDeleteI want to be in that hammock!
ReplyDeleteThere is something oddly charming about The Situation. * hangs head in shame. I mean, I don't want to do him or anything, but he's alright I guess.
..................................
ReplyDelete..................................
Jules? Are you sick? Take your temperature immediately please.
At the risk of confirming stereotypes...$%#@&!
ReplyDeleteNo, seriously, you were kinder than I expected. However, in my 30 seconds of rebuttal time, I need to say:
1. Most of the Jersey Shore kids are actually from New York and just come down to blight our landscape.
2. The Statue of Liberty is ours, bitches! Don't you have enough shit up in NY? Do you have to commandeer our meager points of pride too?
3. You neglected to identify Camden County as birthplace and childhood home of Words Words Words.
4. We have way more forests and beaches and farms than industrial shit, but that's all anyone knows because the media is so New York-centric. (Yes, I have a complex about THAT PLACE.)
5. Despite all of that, you rock, and your tanned Statue of Liberty made me drool coffee :)
I know drooling coffee is the best and fastest way to get that "orange" Jersey "glow". :) To my credit I did point out that most of the Jersey Shore kids are not FROM Jersey, as I'd hate any state to take credit for them if they didn't have to. And I'm totally devastated I didn't mention WX3 birthplace as it's obviously the most important part of Jersey.
ReplyDeleteFirst, I love the vid of the baby. They showed it on Leno the other night and said it was Lindsay Lohan in her younger years.
ReplyDeleteSecond, that hammock looks divine! My mother sent me a text from Cancun the other day saying she was lying in a hammock on the beach, swaying in the wind. I told her I hoped a wind gust came up and knocked her on her ass.
Third, I love the idea of the airstream and the big dog, big gun and big man. Well, let's face it, I'd be happy with just the man.
Fourth, those boots are adorable.
Lastly, lurve your epitaph. It rocks.
All true and I'm with you on the hammock. Haha, your poor mom will have a sore bum. Also I love that you posted this on entirely the wrong entry. You were THAT excited! :)
ReplyDelete"plus Elly didn't much like sleeping anyway" Bahahaha... For not particularly enjoying "little humans", you seem to understand them quite well. You make me lauuugghhh
ReplyDeleteHahaha, well I enjoy hearing about them when it's FUNNY, hence why you crack me up but usually, they're like little aliens to me really. Plus I'm sitting here watching the horrific "Toddlers & Tiaras" so you know....
ReplyDeleteDammmmnnnnn I commented on the wrong post! Why do you Canadians confuse me so? I just made that up. I'm equally confused by all nationalities.
ReplyDeleteDude, I didn't even NOTICE, how dumb does that make ME? :)
ReplyDeleteYeah, I just realized I posted it on the wrong entry... you know, EVERYONE ELES'S BLOGS have the comments at the end of the post, not the top... stop trying to confuse me, man!
ReplyDeleteHahahaha! Well I didn't make the TEMPLATE you know or I'd have made a template for DUMMIES. :) I also love how you posted this comment on a completely different entry. Hahahaha. Awesome.
ReplyDeleteYES! I grew up in Springsteen territory. You. Complete. Me. There is a full list of great things about Jersey. Let's see.
ReplyDelete1. Pizza
2. Diners
3. Car shows in Diner parking lots on Saturday nights
4. Pizza in Diners
5. Diners.
I think I've made my point sufficiently. Also Richie Sambora graduated from my High School. We even named a street Richie Sambora Way. It's already full of herpes.
So you're saying, NJ has diners. Lots of diners. I like diners! All American, all day breakfast diners. That itself should endear it to me. :) Please tell me you really have Bon Jovi hair. So I can laugh.
ReplyDeleteAs a foreigner, I really appreciate these "local's guides". I always suspected that Frommer is just talking out of his arse. Could we request specific states? I am mystified by Wisconsin even though we live so close to it.
ReplyDeleteI just love the mere idea of being "mystified by Wisconsin". I think that'd be an awesome name for a band or a song. I might have to write that song now. :)
ReplyDelete