Thursday, August 26th, 2010 – after lunch, looking like a crazy cat lady, mainlining coffee, singing badly
My good blogging buddy, Aly, over at Calling People Names, passed on a gigantic, sweaty, meme cape to make me write about seven things. Any things at all, not necessarily things you either love or hate, just seven things.
So because I’m me, and random is my middle name, I’m going to write about seven random, completely unconnected things over the next seven weeks. Can you stand the excitement? Hey you, wake up!
Thing Number 1: FLYING
Anyone who knows me knows how I feel about flying, i.e., I am not completely, 100% “jiggy wit it”. Not even 75%.
Now I love planes. Planes are a weird obsession of mine. I love what they represent, I love their sleekness, their giant size, the possibilities they pose, the way they look, the smell of fuel. Airplanes, aeroplanes, I love them.
I like watching them take off and land and I like loitering in airports watching people going places, drinking coffee and trying to lift suitcases the size of a condo in Miami, onto the conveyor belt. I especially like when they have to pay a baggage surcharge. What do you need a bag the size of Texas for anyway, idiot? Are you going away for a year? No.
My favourite part of any trip is that part; wandering around in the airport, people watching, buying dumb local nik naks, walking the wrong way on the moving pavement and wondering what innocent possession the TSA are going to confiscate from me this time. My eyelash curler (I’m still bitter)? My shampoo? My giant double-edged serated hunting knife with Jeffrey Dahmer’s initials carved into the handle? Is nothing sacred?
So, yes, I am down with all of that. But there are many things about flying I am not remotely down with. Other passengers, for example, are a major downside. If you are a passenger on a flight that I am also on, here’re some rules you ought to know that will keep you alive for the duration of the flight:
1) Do not sit behind me and kick my chair.
2) Do not sit in front of me and recline your seat. I don’t enjoy your head in my lap and the fact I can no longer use the drop down tray without removing a rib.
How do tall people manage to ride coach? It is completely beyond me.
3) Do not sit next to me and talk to me for seven hours about your illnesses, children, husband, job or well…anything. I just want to put on my headphones and shut my eyes.
4) Do not ask me if I’ll swap seats with your kid so he can look out of the window. I booked my seat months ago and I chose the window so that I could look out of it, so I’d have somewhere to lean my pillow, so that I could check the engines were still attached and so I could be sure at all times that the little green alien guy from “The Twilight Zone” – the one who drove John Lithgow and William Shatner crazy - isn’t darting around on the wing, pulling important things off of the fuselage. Plus, I don’t want someone clambering over me fifty times en route to the bathroom. The seat is mine.
5) Don’t stand up the second the plane is on the tarmac after landing. Look at you, all first to get on your feet, wrestling your giant, space hogging Skyscraper-sized bag out of the overhead bin, then standing around for ten minutes while we get to the gate and wait for the jetway. Guess what, genius? You don’t get off the plane any faster doing that. You still have to wait.
6) Don’t turn your stupid phone on the second we land and are still taxiing. People’s reliance on their phones drives me crazy. You can’t wait till you’re in the lobby? If someone’s meeting you they know you landed already, calm down Twisty McPantsonfire. Put the phone down. The day cell phone usage is legal on flights I’m going to stage a big, fucking rally protesting it. Can you imagine anything worse than eight hours sitting next to a brain dead fifteen year old who says “like” 3 million times and calls all her friends about her boyfriend?
Cell phones can only be legal on flights if airlines are providing a lounge for people to sit in if they want to use them. Otherwise I will be buying a cell phone jammer. The only thing I really LIKE about flying is that people can't use a goddamn cell phone.
Don’t do any of those things and we’ll probably get along fine. Well, unless you have an ornery toddler with you who insists on screeching the entire flight, in which case you better pray the TSA did its job with the hunting knife. Need I say more? I didn’t think so.
I’m not very patient on flights at all. I just want to get on, close my eyes and then get off again at my destination. Unhindered.
And of course, I will look out of the window most of the way. Because if the engines catch fire I am the person who will bring it subtly to the attention of the nearest Sky Muffin by yelling, “HOLY FUCK PEOPLE, WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE!”
Looking out of the window has its downside too though. For example, during one night flight to Europe, I spent the entire night fretting about another plane being too close for comfort. I don’t like being able to see any other planes while I’m up there. If I can see you, you’re too close. I could see the light of this plane just on the horizon as we left New York and I could still see it when we were flying over Ireland some six hours later. It was seriously freaking me out. Until it got light out and I realized it was the light on the end of our wing… Yeah, I’d been tracking my own plane all night, shut up.
No matter how I rationalize it, no matter how safe I know air travel really is in the grand scheme of things, I still can’t help being nervous when I realize that I’m sitting inside a giant metal cylinder filled with aviation fuel as it hurtles through the sky at 500 mph.
Does that sound even remotely sensible to anyone?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's the What What
So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...
-
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 - the wee small hours of insomnia Religion. It's all around us. And it's killing us in record num...
-
You know what? Swearing's a fine tool to have in your arsenal, and Lord knows it's my favourite power tool of all - even better tha...
-
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 – achey breaky knee, Tonka Bean chocolate is good, digging plaid Hi! Yes you! Remember me? I sometimes post n...
1. Annoys me. Last trip I took was to Vegas. I was sick, had nearly no sleep and would be wandering Vegas alone for several hours. All I wanted to do was grab a quick nap. Stupid kid behind kept kicking the seat. I turned around and told him to stop or I'd kick him. The grandma got mad. Dunno why. I'd kick her too. Control that assmonkey.
ReplyDelete2. First flight I ever took was to Ireland. Guy in front had his seat down the entire time. Refused to put it up. When he got up to go the the bathroom, I used my foot and moved it up. Then when he tried to lower it, I had my feet on the back and wouldn't let him.
4. I do the same thing. And I will make someone get out of my seat if they're in it. I don't care if they smile and say "Oh I just have to be able to look out" well, should have booked better. Get out of my seat or I'll kick you. I'm big on kicking people on planes
YES! Yes yes yes! Do NOT sit in my seat, fucker and do not give me the evil eye if I get you to move out of it. It's MY seat. Goddamn... And if you don't have the manners to tell your kid off and try to prevent him kicking my seat, you deserve to be kicked yourself. I'm with YOU sistah!
ReplyDeleteI sincerely hope I never have to fly again! For many of the reasons you list.
ReplyDeleteIs what you're really saying Eva, "I sincerely hope I never have to fly with YOU, Veg!"? Because I don't blame you. Although I'd let YOU sit in my seat. I like you.
ReplyDeleteI hate talking to strangers and most people just don't take a hint- I handle this the same way that I handle public transit.
ReplyDeleteSit in your seat all calm and proper like. Very slowly- VERY SLOWLY as in shitty 80'S slow-mo moves- lean over and casually lick your own knee a few times. Then look over at your seat mate and smile REALLY sweetly, but hold eye contact for a few more seconds than is normally acceptable.
No one EVER talks to me on flights and that's exactly the way I like it.
Bahahaha, dude! I am so trying that next time I have to fly. I think the key here isn't even the knee licking so much as the smile and the prolonged eye contact. CREEPY GOOD!
ReplyDeleteOn at least three separate occasions, I have pretended that I cannot speak english in order to avoid talking to the person next to me. It's a fun game - I recommend it.
ReplyDeleteOh, and tracking your own plane was completely hilarious.
I always announce to my seatmates that I am a very nervous flier and am just trying to keep my huge lunch and several beers down without throwing up.
ReplyDeleteThat usually gets me some space, and peace and quiet!
Yes, thank YOU. It was less hilarious when I didn't take my eyes off the damn window for six whole hours. :) I might try the English thing. That has to work right?
ReplyDeleteSkypapa: Hahaha, lovely! Maybe farting a lot or pretending to have a heavy cold would work too?
ReplyDeleteI hate it when the flight attendant gives me the stink eye after ordering my tenth beer on an hour flight... pshhh.
ReplyDeleteAlso, tracking your own flight=hilarious. Cheers!
Dude, and I hadn't even HAD ten beers as an excuse! Maybe next time I fly I should order ten beers when I get on and have them line them up, so I'm prepared? :)
ReplyDeleteI'm a bit weird about flying. Anytime I'm about to get on a plane, in the run-up I'm convinced it is going to crash.
ReplyDeleteI have to go down to London sometimes for work with colleagues and the other day I had mentioned that I was convinced that it will be a plane crash that kills me (morbid much?). A very concerned colleague informed me that he would be making sure he didn't have to go to London at the same time as me because he didn't want to be in the crash.
How caring.
Hahaha yikes miss P! There always seems to be a spate of crashes right before I fly anywhere. Seriously, it always happens. See three plane crashes over a couple of weeks on the news? That means I'm about to go somewhere.
ReplyDeleteThe last time I flew I got stuck sitting by a huge teen boy who just could not sit still at all. He fidgeted the entire flight, annoying everyone around him.
ReplyDeleteHe was opening and closing his tray over and over for no reason; drumming his fingers on everything; constantly tapping his feet; pulling his coat on and off and on again just to have something to do; and he was completely oblivious that the rest of us were tired of constantly being bumped by him.
Then he fell asleep. With his head halfway on MY tray. And his coat on MY arm. And I swear I debated for 15 minutes if I should push him away or just let him be so I could enjoy his non-fidgetiness for awhile.
Hmm.
I chose to jab him in his ribs with my elbow so he'd get the eff off of me and my tray. But....
Then of course he started fidgeting again.
*sigh*
Love your writing and I agree with your post 100%...Loud, rude kids really piss me off in public, especially on a plane!...Love that you tracked your own plane, that's priceless!(sounds like something I would do after a few Bloody Mary's!)
ReplyDeleteThat happens to me too! If there's a spate of crashes and YOU'RE not flying anywhere, then it must mean that I will be!
ReplyDeleteCora: UGH! I think at this point I'd be inclined to just grab him by the collar and go "STOP FIDGETTING AND SHUT UP OR I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" It's such a lovely lovely thing if I fly home off season and get a row to myself. I feel like kissing people.
ReplyDeleteJacqueline: Damn lights! It looked like it was far away on some other plane. And sometimes I'd be all "Yikes, it's getting CLOSER!" Yes Veg.
Hahahaha P. That sucks. You and me are plane crash instigators. We should NEVER fly together. Ever.
ReplyDeleteIt cracks me up because it's all so true. If I'm in an aisle I'll stand upon landing for a few seconds to stretch but then I sit back down. And ALWAYS much to the annoyance to who ever is sitting next to me and can't stand up straight because you know only the aisle seat can. What do they expect you to trample over everyone else.
ReplyDeleteHaha, I know! I usually don't move and just sit there in my window until we can actually get the hell off. Then I let those people who're bursting to get off because they're impatient fuckers, get out of my way before retrieving my bag and leaving usually last. Funny thing is, I meet all those people who were in such a rush at the baggage claim. They still have to wait as long as I do...
ReplyDeleteI went on a plane once at the air museum place and I have no idea how tall people cope. Being tall by UK standards I found it hard to even walk in it and that thing they call a toilet, Jesus how does anyone get in it?
ReplyDeleteAaaaaand yet another reason why I heart you so much! I have spent MANY a flight staring at the wing of the plane, waiting for little green alien guy from “The Twilight Zone” to poof! just show up. Hasn't happened yet but I never rule out the possibility.
ReplyDeleteAnd here, I thought I was the only one!
Dude, we would be fun plane buddies. A rousing "hell yes" to all of the above - times eleventy billion. I endured eight hours of seat-kicking, courtesy of the bored little crotchmonkey behind me on the way to London ... I was out of mantras by the time we landed.
ReplyDeleteMy dear Vegemite, you crack me up. I always take a window seat and keep watching my plane, do not like talkative over friendly travel mates and cannot stand I'll mannered children covered with drool... Oh wait, who said anything about drool. You didn't, I did!
ReplyDeleteHehe, I shoo
D get some sleep.
Dreich: I know. In a normal commercial plane I avoid the bathrooms because I once saw this bad movie where something exploded and some dude was on the can and got sucked in! EWWW! NO thank you. Those rooms are SMALL. TINY SMALL.
ReplyDeleteRobin: Haha right? I think of that little green guy every time I fly. Especially on night flights. I'm staring into the darkness just waiting to see his ugly little evil face staring back at me. At which point I will faint. :)
Inky: UGH my nightmare. Once I was flying to San Francisco and some idiot had seated me in the middle seat among this family of seven. Seriously, they were on both sides of me, in front and behind me. Talk about annoying. Luckily they were mostly well behaved thanks to their parents who were awesomely in control.
Reenster: Drool, lovely! :) Like when that one kid insists on staring over the back of the seat in front and giggling at you. STOP THAT. I really think I need my own plane...
I once flew on a redeye flight where I had the entire plane to myself. I was awesome.
ReplyDeleteHoly shit dude. I want that flight. That's my idea of paradise or as close to it as you ever get in the air unless there's an option where you're going to be fed frozen margaritas by a buff naked guy, who once you've tired looking at him turns into a cake.
ReplyDeleteShame shame, look at my comment there! Now you ALL know that I can't type!
ReplyDeleteDude, I just thought you were drunk. :)
ReplyDeleteI agree! Maybe the three of us could share a giant one. :)
ReplyDeleteI love flying, but I don't love children in my general vicinity when I'm flying. That's really my only issue.
ReplyDeleteWell, that and the fact that they charge you to check bags now, no matter what the weight. That is such BULLSHIT. And, as a chronic over-packer and option-needer extrodinare, my bags are always overweight. Always. My makeup alone...well. Nevermind.
Yay! You're doing the meme!
I don’t’ like flying, especially without a plane. But it’s OK in dreams. But so is Liza Minnelli.
ReplyDeleteAll the best from Boonie S
Sky muffins? Awesome sauce. Do it again!
ReplyDeleteHate flying...definitely less than37% jiggy wit it! Combination of morbid fear of crashing and annoying other passengers....you've pretty much covered all my pet hates in this post :-) I could well have spent the whole flight worrying why that blinking light keeps following us...it's freaky just how many planes you do see going past your own plane though!
ReplyDeleteDid you see this news story?
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100827/tuk-ba-crash-warning-error-terrifies-pas-a7ad41d.html
Ms. OWO: Hahahaha your make up! :) The bag check thing is bullshit. I noticed that recently myself. If you fly internationally they ALLOW you one free checked bag otherwise, you're paying, pal! Ridiculous. Everyone needs a bag for Christ's sake. Wait till they start the cabin bag charge, there'll be a war.
ReplyDeleteBoonie: I'll take two of what you're on, please, dude. Only if I am guaranteed no Liza though.
Elly: The Sky Muffins don't like if you call them that to their face though. Word. Don't do that.
Nat: Well thanks for that. They wouldn't have to bother actually crashing if I heard that. I'd already have passed out cold. I was on a flight from Amsterdam to NY once when we had rudder issues and had to dump fuel and turn back. I was shitting myself. When we got back to Ams. what seemed like a MONTH later my knuckles were white from gripping the seat and there was a whole row of fire engines lined up by the runway. Lovely. Just what you want to see when having an emergency landing. NOT. I was not amused.
i do love to fly, it brings back so many good memories. i just hate the white noise for some reason. also, sometimes my ears get all hurty.
ReplyDeleteAw honey, you're poor delicate little lady ears. That's what happens when you suggest someone is a whore. :)
ReplyDeleteI was on a 7 hour flight to Barbados and there was a crying kid next to me, less than a year old, who then had a bout of diarrheoa. To make matter worse, his mother was asking ME to help clean him up.
ReplyDeleteHonestly!
Don't know why I married her.
I am SO with you on the people that stand up immediately and the people that turn on their phones immediately. Are you all really THAT indispensable?
ReplyDeleteAnd don't even talk to me about people wanting you to switch seats with their kids. I picked this seat because I am too fat to sit in the middle, and I'm going to make everyone miserable. Let your tiny kid sit in the middle so we can all have some peace!
Awesome 'sky muffin' photo!
ReplyDeleteCoach class indeed, pshaw...
Hey, aeroplanes are similar to Airstream trailers in some aspects, right? Aerostreams...
I am SO with you. When I fly, leave me ALONE!
ReplyDeleteHa Veg - you forgot the Flying Nuns! Trust me, if you ever go through bad turbulance, the last thing you need in the seat behind you is someone reciting a couple of Hail Mary's
ReplyDelete"Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death...."
Trust me. Been there. Not good.
The Jules: Hahahaha. Groan. :)
ReplyDeleteWords: No one wants the middle seat dude. It's the no mans land seat. You can't lean on anything and there's none of the benefits of either the aisle or the window. Horrible. It's only acceptable if you're traveling with someone and have that person to lean your head on. :) Even then it's a pain.
Eric: You're welcome Tex, I posted it just for you.
Jules: YES! I think pretending to be deaf might be a good deterrent too. No one wants someone grunting at them and gesticulating right? :)
Macy: Good God (excuse the choice of words) that is bad! :) The last thing i need during a bad flight is someone telling me I'm going to die. I might think it but I want reassuring, damn it.
Veg, I feel like sitting next to you, we'd get along just fine.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure. I'd be standing on my seat, clutching my tiny plane pillow (what use are those tiny plane pillows, seriously?) and yelling, "I CAN'T SEE THE WINGS. WHERE ARE THE WINGS?" and you could feed me whisky till I pass out. That's what you mean right?
ReplyDeleteHeck, that's just for starters!
ReplyDeleteYep, the sky muffin picture is still up, thought I'd just mosey back over here and check that. Yep.
ReplyDeleteRemember the good ol' days when you could bring your own liquor and snort cocaine off of your drop down tray?
ReplyDeleteMan, do I miss the 80's ...
Miss S: Hell, that's what flights need. Something to make you not give a shit. Apparently you used to be able to smoke on planes too, although I'm not sure what substances. A little pot room at the back would be nice. If you want people to relax on a flight just pipe the fumes from that through the AC ventilation. :) Till then, we have to make do with six dollar vodkas.
ReplyDeleteYou used to be able to bring your own liquor on planes? I was born too late. I defer to Sideshow Bob to sum up this situation:
ReplyDelete"Ahh, for the days when aviation was a gentleman's pursuit - back before every Joe Sweatsock could wedge himself behind a lunch tray and jet off to Raleigh-Durham."
Yeah I want to have sampled flying when flying was still glamourous and elite. Nowadays it's worse than riding the bus! :) I want flight attendants in cute uniforms and a martini in a real glass and a man with a posh accent flying the plane.
ReplyDeleteMainly I would like some free cocktails in a chic upper deck lounge on a 747. Is this too much to ask? Hmmm?
Wow veggie, you seem to have struck a raw nerve with all these comments on their particular crap experience with flying!
ReplyDeleteMy worst experience? There used to be a local commuter airline here in Colorado called Rocky Mountain Airways that flew into the little towns with ski resorts. I had a flight into the Aspen airport on a 12 passenger, twin prop job that never made it above the mountains. We flew through the peaks, enduring updrafts and downdrafts, when I looked out the right side and saw the engine just feathering out there. There are no atheists in foxholes, or airplanes in danger of crashing.
See that there is the flight that would have ended my life, Skypop. Seriously. No thank YOU. I've been on planes where we've had to dump fuel and return to base ASAP and that almost killed me. I bet that 747 whereever it is now, still has my damn fingernail marks on the arm rest of seat 23A.
ReplyDeleteOye vey. There isn't much about planes or flying that I do enjoy. I don't like being so close to people that I can smell them.. I don't like stupid Stewardesses who make me move from my aisle seat to sit next to smelly people. I don't like honey roasted peanuts.. and I don't like feeling out of control. There. I feel better.
ReplyDeleteCarissa: I agree with all that! Well apart from the honey roasted peanuts. Are you mad? Those are lovely. Also, what airline do YOU fly that gives those out? I only ever get the standard boring peanuts. Pffft.
ReplyDelete"...tracking my own plane all night..." No wonder you like the Twilight episode which I watched on youtube many times. There are so many different things about how airline travel was back then. It's fun to watch. Like, the clothes the passengers wore. Like nobody said like.
ReplyDeleteSky Muffins. I get it. And it's so true. I look almost exactly like the one on the far left. Um, is she wearing a man's button up shirt as a dress? I'll have to try that on my next trip.
ReplyDeletep.s. I'm not even going to go into how many points in this post I was nodding at in agreement. Spot on, my little stabby friend.
Do it. Don't forget the heels though. One's sky muffins must be sexy at all times. :)
ReplyDelete