I once met a Dalek in WH Smith.
Let me preface this by saying, when I was about three years old, only two things terrified me. Turning into a chicken while I was asleep, and Daleks.
That was it.
The chicken thing, I believe I’ve told you all before, was down to my granddad, who bought me a bright red Timex watch for my birthday, then told me in a hushed tone, sort of like the kid in The Sixth Sense when he’s telling Bruce Willis that he sees dead people, that I had to remember to take the watch off when I went to sleep or I would turn into a chicken during the night.
Yeah, you laugh now, but when you’re three that’s some scary shit. Adults think it’s funny pranking little kids, but man, we’re gullible. You’re damaging us for life, fuckers!
Yeah, you laugh now, but when you’re three that’s some scary shit. Adults think it’s funny pranking little kids, but man, we’re gullible. You’re damaging us for life, fuckers!
Anyway, the only thing more terrifying than turning into a chicken in my sleep was Daleks, because well…you didn’t grow up in the UK and not have an ingrown terror of Daleks instilled in you from an early age. In fact, you got handed that the second you squeezed out of the birth canal covered in goo, along with your National Insurance number and a Cadbury’s addiction.
Daleks had been terrifying British kids since before I was born. It was tradition!
If you didn’t spend your entire childhood living in abject terror at the possibility of a Dalek attack, you were probably retarded and thinking about rainbows or your toes or some other nonsense.
Everyone fears Daleks. It’s the British way.
If you didn’t spend your entire childhood living in abject terror at the possibility of a Dalek attack, you were probably retarded and thinking about rainbows or your toes or some other nonsense.
Everyone fears Daleks. It’s the British way.
I was fascinated by them and terrified, simultaneously. They could just wheel on into a room, speak in a terrifying robotic monotone, then exterminate anyone in their sight. It was a constant threat. That’s a lot for a three year old to comprehend, let me tell you.
And to make matters worth we had one in our house! Gasp!
OK, so technically it was a paraffin heater with a grill on the front. The apartment was chilly and in winter my folks would use it to heat the bedroom before putting us to bed. Except they had to do this covertly because I would not have that fricking thing in the room with me in case it started to talk and threaten me with extermination the second the lights went out. I was petrified of that damn heater. It gave me nightmares. Nightmares of Dalek invasions. You try being three and explaining to your parents why you’re terrified of a fucking oil heater.
Strangely enough, back when I was living in England, I met a real Dalek.
He was in WH Smiths in Nottingham one busy Saturday morning and I was completely unprepared and unaware. I was innocently leafing through some magazine I had no intention of buying, when something prodded me square in the back and loudly, in that familiar robotic monotone, commanded. “PUT. THAT. DOWN.”
He was in WH Smiths in Nottingham one busy Saturday morning and I was completely unprepared and unaware. I was innocently leafing through some magazine I had no intention of buying, when something prodded me square in the back and loudly, in that familiar robotic monotone, commanded. “PUT. THAT. DOWN.”
It was one of those moments when time stood still. When pooping your pants was a very real possibility.
The Daleks had finally found me. And I was way too young to die.
When I turned around there was a full sized, silver and blue Dalek, looking right back at me. I fell back against the magazine rack. I mean what do you do when your nightmares come to life in front of you?
Me, I grabbed my camera out of my bag and tried to take its picture, but it rolled right back up to me and shrieked, “YOU. WILL. ASK. MY. PERMISS-ION.”
Holy fuck. Yes, Sir. You don’t mess with Daleks, ever. You just don’t. Not if you want to live.
After he graciously allowed me to take his picture, I handed my camera to some old guy lurking nearby, who took a photo of me with the Dalek, while I tried to avoid Senor Dalek’s dangerous plunger of death.
The old guy fiddled with the camera for a moment and the Dalek got impatient. “HURRY. UP. OR. YOU. WILL. BE. EXERMINATED.” it told him, sounding frighteningly excited.
So yeah. That’s how I met a real life Dalek. And lived to tell the tale. What he was doing in a busy store on a Saturday morning I have no idea. Buying some overpriced back-to-school supplies maybe? Who knows? I have a sneaking suspicion the imminent release of a brand new Doctor Who video box set might have had something to do with it, but just maybe it was an actual invasion.
And I was totally there.
I knew not of this Dalek thing prior to this post. But I can understand your fear. Boxy slow-moving robots be scary yo!
ReplyDeleteMy childhood fear is far worse though. Alas, the creature that scared me most during my childhood was none other than.....E.T. Yes, sweet lovable E.T. I was such a lame child. I wish adult me could punch child me.
Check out my post about it.
That explains a lot!
ReplyDeleteNicole: Haha E.T.! Hey I will not laugh. I will read the post and commiserate. But dude. E.T. is scarier than a Dalek. No.
ReplyDeleteEva: Hey!
Dalek smarlek, the really scary baddy was in an episode in something like 1974 called "The Mark of the Rami"
ReplyDelete(I just looked it up I'm not a saddo with a secret).
In it people were turned into...........TREES!!!! aaarrgh!
I know but from behind the sofa watching between my fingers it was the scarriest thing I had ever seen. I was sure I was going to turn into a sycamore or something.... In fact I'm sure there was a little "log" left behind that sofa!
Bahaha! I'm sure there was. Trees huh? Weren't the props and effects in the old Doctor Who just hilarious? People watching the new Dr. Who have no idea. :)
ReplyDeleteYet another reason to thank God I'm not British!
ReplyDeleteI cannot believe you were told you would turn into a chicken if you didn't take your watch off!!
ReplyDeleteI was freaked out when I was little of "The Wheelers." Someone made a Wizard of Oz 2- it was fairly stupid with poor acting and awful camera work, but I watched it for some reason and there were these things- they had human faces and bodies, but at the end of their arms and legs they had rolling wheels instead of hands and feet and they wheeled around on all fours. SO CREEPY AND AWFUL. I remember not wanting to go to Sunday School in the basement of our church because I told my parents I JUST KNEW there were wheelers down there. Obvisouly, they thought I was crazy and made me go anyway.
You're amazical. For reals. You're my interwebz idol.
ReplyDeleteThe chicken thing is about the coolest/funniest thing I've ever read.
My Mom told me that when I turned 10 (after weeks of me running around screaming that I was about to be double digits) that I would get scabs on my cheeks for 2 months.
WHAT A BITCH! I no longer ran around screaming about my upcoming bday/doom.
And to think I thought I was all worldy... Until today I had never heard of the dreaded Dalek's. I can see why they would have been cause for a pants pooping incident. ...When we were kids and out camping our uncles used to tell us that evil monsters would hack open our tent with axes and kidnap us. Fun for them of course but we were scared shitless for years thereafter! - The Empress
ReplyDeletehttp://rantersbox.blogspot.com
Turning into a chicken while I’m awake bothers me far more than the fear of turning into a chicken while I’m asleep. I guess that’s one of the things that makes you and I so different to one another.
ReplyDeleteThanks for another great post.
All the best, Boonsong
Before I read this post I had no idea what a Daleks was! I was irrationally terrified of clowns though.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure the US equivalent of the Dalek is Rachael Ray.
ReplyDeleteGod. I get the goosebumps just thinking about it.
Ok, but seriously. I can't begin to list all of the problems turning into a chicken in the middle of the night could cause. It only STARTS at the inability to explain! I feel stressed...
ReplyDeleteReally, Daleks?
ReplyDeleteI guess it is a British thing.
Oh and just so we're on the topic of getting scared shitless when you're a kid...let me tell you a story.
When I was 9, my brother told me that I gremlins lived in the toilet bowl. And whenever I go for number 2, it will pull me inside the bowl and make me live with it in his sewer kingdom.
That shit (ahem), scared me for ages yo. I still check for toilet bowl gremlins now.
Your grandfather was a comic genius and his brilliant trickery has, once again, raised what I feel is the main argument in favour of having children: fucking with their heads simply for amusement.
ReplyDeleteOMFG!!! I was so terrified of Daleks that before the first few bars of Dr. Who's theme music played I'd be hiding behind the couch shaking in fear! thanks a bunch, I'm probably going to have nightmares for the next week.
ReplyDeleteGreat story!
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of those things before, but I know all about the "warnings" before bed...
http://patricktillett.blogspot.com/2009/08/snakes-and-geese.html
dude. robots are scary period. i was terrified of dying in a fire because my mother never let us watch TV. lame.
ReplyDeleteI like this. I smiled as I read it. With my lips. I don't mean I read it with my lips, pressing them up against the PC screen like some weird version of Braille.
ReplyDeleteI feel where you’re coming from Veggie. My Dr Who was from the 80's. That’s when the Daleks were uber nasty. I saw them fry a man once so you could see his skeleton.
That kept me up for weeks.
Please keep writing.
Oh God, I tried and I tried and I tried to be scared of Daleks... because like you say you HAD to be back in the dark days of black and white telly.
ReplyDeleteBut I couldn't.
Once you've figured that they can't get up or down stairs, you've sorted that fear for once and for all. :)
~KS: Poor you! Wheelers, Daleks...parents just don't realize the FEAR! :) Plus yeah, turning into a chicken was terrifying to me. I mean who wants to wake up with feathers and a beak? Not me.
ReplyDeleteBuffstah: Hahahaha, your mom's FUNNY. Did you check that mirror every day for scabs? I bet you did.
Empress: Well the Daleks are still around in the New Doctor Who series, but probably seem less scary if you're not three.
Boonsong: See, you learn stuff from me. I am EDUCATIONAL, dammit.
Reenie: Really why would you know? And you really didn't NEED to know. But now you do know. It's good because now if you see one coming you can hide.
Moooooog: Hahahaha. Except I find Daleks fascinating. Rachael Ray not so much. Or at all.
Dramatic One: Sorry for laughing while imagining you hovering over the toilet in horror waiting for something to grab your bum. :) Nasty brothers!
Pat: Yes, it's easy to eff up a kid by telling it something stupidly scary before bed. Because they believe everything. A chicken? OMG NO!
Becky: So even if not subjected to TV kids find something to be terrified of. Boo. I see you survived though.
Dan: Reading with lips pressed up against the TV sounds like something James Spader would do. With his big clammy, pervert lips. The Daleks are nasty as shit dude. But I had faith growing up, in Tom Baker to blitz them with his afro and giant scarf.
Macy: I don't remember them on black and white (heavens a b&w Dalek sounds horrid) but I used to enjoy hiding behind cushions while Tom Baker dealt with them in his flippant manner. :)
Mom on a Spin: What? There are other reasons? Besides Daleks? Being British is awesome. We get better chocolate for a start. And Irn Bru. And free health care. What's not to like about that? I haven't lived there in a long time though. I miss my easy access to Caramacs and Beanfeast.
ReplyDeleteJules: I know! I had a list in my head back then too. I can't be a chicken. I can't. I have stuff to play with. Things to eat. Places to go a chicken can't possibly deal with...
ReplyDeleteJohnson: I have to agree. I can't see another reason for having them apart from that. If you go through the trauma of having kids you probably earn the right to fuck with their minds in any way you please. Oddly enough it's still not incentive enough for me to want any. Phew!
DJ: I know, I like that they use the same tune nowadays too. No matter how many times it's redone and rerecorded, it's still pretty menacing.
I too had a fear of Daleks as a child. I was also worried I would turn into the Honey Monster like those tv ads from our youth. I used to hide behind a cushion every time one of those adverts came on. I wouldn't eat Sugar Puffs just in case it happened...
ReplyDeleteOh god no, you never want to turn into the honey monster. Damn, I haven't thought about the honey monster in YEARS!
ReplyDeleteLOL @ Nicole. My brother's childhood fear was ET too. He'd wake up screaming in the night because he'd had nightmares about ET. The worst ones featured ET in dress-up clothes.
ReplyDeleteYep.
ET in drag. Nothing scared my brother more than that.
*snicker*
I wasn't really afraid of Daleks as a child but I am retarded. There was a few episodes of Dr Who that did scare me though. The 1 I still remember to this day was when 2 normal females went into the sea and came out all evil. That was creepy.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I was also scared by the film Hocus Pocus and I was 12ish.
Totally OT: Let me know when you want that citrine or sapphire ring (I'll do an emerald if you force me to) and I'll whip it right up for you.
ReplyDeleteCitrine would be the most thrifty, and lovely in that setting. I'd sure like a picture of that for my blog :-)
Dude, if I mysteriously win the lottery and stop living in poverty, you're the chick I'll be calling. Citrine is my birth stone and probably the one I'd go for SO THERE. It's thrifty like me. :)
ReplyDeleteCora: It's like there's a whole cult of people terrified of E.T.! Who knew?
ReplyDeleteDreich: There's nothing scarier than chicks going into the sea and coming out evil. I suppose. Except DALEKS. For god's sake man! At least now you're almost a driver so you can drive away from any Dalek attack. Or the attack of evil chicks from the sea.
You know who else has a creepy robotic voice? Rod Stewart. He should be exterminated. The end.
ReplyDeleteWell if you're looking for an argument on that, you certainly came to the wrong place! :) Exterminate Rod Stewart!
ReplyDeleteWow, you're British! That's awesome! I have a sister there and have been looking for about a year now for how to make my own move there. :)
ReplyDeleteSo what are Daleks exactly, were they from a TV show, some kind of bizarre toy they expected ids to want to play with ??