And although it’s only May, it’s been around the 80 degrees mark all week with a nice breeze. It's like freaking San Diego here! Take that Red!
However, being almost summer makes a person start frowning and pulling at their fleshy bits in disgust and thinking about making those fleshy bits a bit smaller. You see, having just emerged from a cold winter spent mostly watching TV, painting and eating scads of cheese and chocolate and doing virtually nothing that involves breaking a sweat at all, spring means shedding the consequences of such sedentary behaviour, eating fruit again and doing something more energetic with your spare time.
So that means walking where possible. Which is fine. I made playlists for every occasion because Lord knows I cannot walk anywhere without a playlist because that would involve suffering my own company for an hour without entertainment. The horror!
And also? Zumba.
Yes, you heard me right. Zumba. As in Latiny-gyratey-dance aerobics.
You can stop laughing now. I appreciate your skepticism, I truly do, because I have about as much dancing talent as a drunk man with one leg and vertigo. I’m ok with this. I’d love to be a natural lithe, snaky-hipped, all abs and rubber bones, sexing-up-the-dancefloor type of mover, but clearly I’m not. So I just do the best I can and have fun with it. So what if I look like someone who’s in desperate need of a bathroom? So what if my expression is less, “Hey baby, I’m hot!” and more “Good God, hemorrhoids are a bitch!”, I have FUN damn it.
Besides, I only do it at home for now, not in public for heaven’s sakes. If I was doing actual classes I’m sure I’d be on YouTube by now under, “Hilarious Rhythm-challenged Halfwit, Dancing like cripple”.
Only, you know…with less grammar. Because it’s YouTube. It’d probably be more, “Yo Batshit Crazy Beeyatch Gitz Grooveh”.
It’s all Alyson's fault. I use her full name because that’s what people do when they want to let certain other people know that they’ve been a bad girl. She introduced me to Zumba, therefore, is fully responsible for me looking like a constipated ostrich. And also because I watched some demos and thought “That looks fun, how hard can it be?”
Yeah. Now I not only dance like I’m on drugs, I ache everywhere it’s possible to ache and so I now walk like it too. So thanks for that Aly. Truly.
So when I haven’t been Zumbaing my ass off in the mornings to wake me up, I’ve been painting in a nice, leisurely fashion, in a paint-covered, oversized t-shirt and cut off, drawstring sweat pants and flip flops (and that combo is as sexy as it sounds, people) so all in all, I think balance is achieved. For now at least. Between that and the fact I am hideously addicted to Kashi’s Fruit & Grain bars in Chocolate Raspberry, I am a contented little fucker.
Talking of painting, I finished another Airstream. I now have twelve Airstreams in my series. I’m a freaking Airstream maniac. I decided not to fret about this and just embrace it.
So yeah. Back to work. Have a lovely afternoon my little pumpernickel buns!
"Hilarious Rhythm-challenged Halfwit, Dancing like cripple" - please use that as a subtitle to your blog name.
ReplyDeleteI once had a jazzercise instructor tell me that I looked like I was concentrating way too hard. I'm sure she would have preferred that to the alternative -- limbs akimbo and knocking out all of my fellow jazzercisers.
Great painting, as always.
Thanks miss! Haha, I totally should have it as a subtitle. It sums me up perfectly. :) "concentrating way too hard" sounds like a kind way to say "Girl, you dance like someone not entirely in charge of matters!" :)
ReplyDeleteI love your Airstreams. They're better than real Airstreams. And every time I see an Airstream, I think of you.
ReplyDeleteI am totally gonna look for that video on YouTube. And if it doesn't exist yet, well, mind you dance with the curtains closed, girlie.
Haha, thanks for planting THAT seed in my mind miss B. I'll be looking for cameras in the trees outside my apartment now...yikes.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy Airstreams remind you of me. Happy for me that is. It must be terrifying for YOU.
So, wait. Drawstring sweats cutoffs and flip flops are NOT hot? Crap. There goes my entire plan for seducing my husband into buying me an Airstream. Love your paintings, by the by.
ReplyDeleteThank you ma'am! Well you see, it all depends. If you're wearing a tee and cut off sweats and flops and they, a) fit you properly, and b) aren't covered in paint, then you stand a reasonable chance of still being smokin'. :)
ReplyDeleteMe likey mucho!
ReplyDeleteDude, it hasn't even been 80 degrees here! Lucky!
The win is yours because it's at least in the 70s EVERY FREAKING DAY OF THE YEAR in SD. :) You can let me have this one week. Hee!
ReplyDeleteI don't know what it is with the airstream (I love them) but I always think "rape-van" and imagine serial killers driving all over the U.S
ReplyDeleteEvery time I see one of the paintings I think slasher movie. Airstreams are ominous to me like clowns are ominous to... well, to me.
(for whatever reason it thrills me to pieces and I desperately want to own one.)
Well, this could be because you're a psychopath, Kimmie. I'm only guessing mind. I see them as beautiful, serene, freedom vehicles myself. But each to their own. And right now I'm glad that YOUR own is you know...hundreds of miles away. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm not speaking for every man here, but we usually don't want to make ALL of our fleshy bits smaller.
ReplyDeleteJust sayin'.
Dude. :) This has sent my mind in entirely the wrong direction. Like wondering if a guy eats and eats and eats till he puts on a hundred pounds, does his twinkie also put on weight? Inquiring minds need to know.
ReplyDeleteOh man... thanks for that, much needed laugh. I really am pleased I found your blog! Great pic too... Love airstreams.
ReplyDeleteCheers!
Eman: Thank you! Who couldn't love the Airstream? Only an idiot, surely? Which you certainly are not. :)
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about joining the Y and I saw a Zumba class listed and thought, "Oh my God, that sounds like a big cup of awesome." Of course, I originally thought it was some kind of black magic that would instantly turn me into a svelte goddess, but whatever. Latin dancing is a decent 2nd choice.
ReplyDeleteMan, Blogger just ate my response. Fuckers. I was just encouraging you to do it because if you can master it properly and don't look constipated (like me) then you stand a great chance of looking like a great big hot mass of sexy and like a lady with great moves. It's sure tiring though! :)
ReplyDeletehahahah! If I'm a psychopath then you are one TIMES TWO because you like me!!!!
ReplyDeleteKim: Well...yes. Technically. But at least I view Airstreams as lovely, tranquil retreats and not a place Dexter would use to cut up bodies. Freak! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you caved under the pressure of my subliminal blogging messages. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's loads of fun, isn't it? But you're right - tiring as fuck.
When I see myself dancing in the mirror I think, "Dear Gawd, make it stop", but as long as I'm not looking at myself (and instead looking at the room full of old ladies) I think, "Hells yeah, sexay biotch!"
Shrug. I've already lost weight. Only done four classes.
Ole!
Love the airstream.
Wow, good for you, man. I think fun is the key. And dancing in a room of older people is also good for morale. Of course as you're a little not even 25 year old that would include ME. Fuck. :) Doing classes where you have to suffer watching yourself looking spazzy sounds like torture to me though. Shudder!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I too see them as lovely- just in a more stabby manner.
ReplyDeleteK: Hahahaha. Stabby! :) I do NOT want to start associating Airstreams with stabby. So is this just an Airstream thing or does it extend to all campers?
ReplyDeletePretty much all campers but airstreams in particular set off a dark piano laden soundtrack in my head. Like retro murder.
ReplyDeleteI kind of picture "retro murder" being more dignified than regular murder. Done by a dude in a swanky trench coat with manners. The dude, not the coat. And full of melodrama and mystique. Not by a bearded lunatic with crazy eyes and a bowling shirt with a machete.
ReplyDeleteI'm a complete zumba-holic. Now you've got me worried about hidden cameras. Not only am I completely un-coordinated but I also make the Kate Gosselin stank-face whilst stumbling over my feet. Nobody wants to see that on YouTube.
ReplyDeleteYou know what? I totally do! I want to see the Gosselin stank-face. :) I need to get my entertainment somewhere you know. Ha! Isn't it FUN though? All that gyrating?
ReplyDeleteDid you say you are a drunk man with one leg and vertigo? I could have misheard. Not through any fault of your own, bad diction for example, I suspect you have lovely I mean excellent diction, but the fault would be on this can of Carlsberg I mean me. Yes me. My fault.
ReplyDeleteAhhhh yes summer.. the time of year when I out my legs... But Zumba sounds like something I would actually like! Whenever I do dance aerobic classes I like to pretend like I'm on the stage and make faces at my self in the mirror, like performance faces. It's quite entertaining even just for me!
ReplyDeleteI lovvvvveee your painting!!!
YOU, a confused drunkard, Mo? Say it ain't so. Although, obviously it is. Carlsberg indeed.
ReplyDeleteThere was an Airstream that took centre stage in the production of Jerusalem recently...inspite of fine performances by the whole cast, the Airstream maintained an air of dignity...
ReplyDeleteCarissa: Thank you missy! As for the faces, you go on with your bad self. I say it doesn't matter if you look like you just laid a load in your pants, but you might as well celebrate it. :)
ReplyDeleteNota: Haha, and I'm sure its acting was top notch too. Plus if the play sucked, there was always Airstream eye candy to ogle. Although not in a sexy way, that would be wrong.
I feel like everyone is talking about this zumba craze. I feel left out. I feel like I should take a class just to post on it. But I'm sure taking a class would just mean injuring myself and/or others. Although, that is fun in itself as well.
ReplyDeleteDude, if it's not worth a pelvic injury, it's not worth doing. :) Although yeah, the potential is certainly there. If you're me anyway. Which you're not. So you should be safe. Ha!
ReplyDeleteZumba? I'm so behind the fitness times...I'm still trying to master beginner's yoga.
ReplyDeleteHaha, well I never said I'd mastered anything. I'm far from mastering. I'm more plodding along looking mildly handicapped. :)
ReplyDeleteThe blog world NEEDS a Zumba V-log Olympics. You and Alyson should get on that.
ReplyDeleteLove the airstream!
Haha... I'm sort of..... umm.... wishing that we'd get to see you doing zumba.... Like.... In YouTube?
ReplyDeleteAnd also that for my entertainment's sake you are as bad as you say?
:)
Haha!!!
Hunter: Oh yes, you'd enjoy the hell out of that. I'm sure Aly's really watchable and excellent but I'd be the comedy sidekick sweating up a storm and falling over my feet. :)
ReplyDeleteReenie: You mean woman. :) And I am. As bad as I say. In fact...I'm WORSE!
Me likey airstream in spring colourway, and maybe you could post a video of cripple with hemorrhoids sexing up the dancefloor, no?
ReplyDeleteYou know, I'm thinking not....
ReplyDeleteAnd trying to get on my good side first by complimenting my painting didn't work either. Naughty! :)
'...Summer, summer, summer, summer...'
ReplyDelete- The song ironically named 'Magic' by 'The Cars'
Thanks for that stimulating piece of randomness, Tex! :)
ReplyDeleteDo you zumba before or AFTER you eat cake??
ReplyDeleteSmells like Winter here (with a side of teen funkified spirit, but I can put up with that just to read your words of wisdom). Whilst you are Zumbaing your arse off, I am sitting here marking out where the various layers of bodily insulation will be laid, I love Winter. Shake your groove thing baby.
ReplyDeleteWell done on the dozen. Another masterpiece though would we have expected any less. Personally, I'd like to see you add to your scifi characters (big fan of the cylon) but I am a scifi geek after all :)
Oh and thanks for sending your pestilence down under. I know my promised cake didn't arrive, but sheesh!
Jules: I haven't actually had cake much in months. Maybe once. I know, don't faint. Also, I don't know where the hell your comment is - I did approve it several times but it won't show up. Goddamn...
ReplyDeleteRusty: Why thank you ma'am. I aim to do more of the sci fi stuff soon actually. Right now it's summer therefore I'm in Airstream mode. :) Oh, and ENJOY WINTER. Freak!
Your fans out here demand video of you dancing. Hear that? That's chanting girl. The masses will not be denied!
ReplyDeleteDude. I'm about as likely to cover myself in chocolate and run into a room full of bees. :)
ReplyDeleteWait. Hold it - back up! If you get a tan, you won't look like an alcoholic?
ReplyDeleteBy you I mean me, of course.
Haha! Of course. I just LOOK like one. Yup.
ReplyDeleteOkay, if you can do Zumba with that description of your dance moves, I am thinking I can give it a shot. Only thing, I tend to put other people at bodily harm in these kinds of exercise classes. You know, everyone is going to the right and I'm moving left? It gets ugly. But who cares, I'm burning calories maiming people. RIght?
ReplyDeleteExactly! You're getting fit so what's the odd black eye to a neighbouring dancer? NOTHING! :)
ReplyDeletethis airstream is shiiiiiiiny.
ReplyDeleteyou people and your zumba. i just can't do it. pffft, zumba. think you're so great.
Hahaha, Beckstah. I can't do it either. I just TRY to. I'm aware of looking more like a zombie trying to dance than an actual person with coordination though. So if I can do it YOU can.
ReplyDeletespray on tan--you lose 10 lbs instantly. but less fun than zumba.
ReplyDeletegreat painting!
Haha, nice trick! Thing is, I'm so white fake tans on me look orange. I'm not going for a Jersey Shore audition just yet. :)
ReplyDeleteI'd never even heard of Zumba...shows how behind the times I am! Always an education visiting your blog, thanks!
ReplyDeleteGreat pic :-)
Yep, I got rounder over the winter too. Now I can't fit into 80% of my cute summer shorts! GAH!!
ReplyDeleteNo Zumba for me though. I'm trying to de-flab myself by walking 90 minutes on an incline on my treadmill each and every day.
Which reminds me: that's where I'm supposed to be right now. Bye!
Tell me something: does the Zumba video you use have......The Pony?
ReplyDeleteBecause I'm wondering if my instructor is a secret reader of my blog and knows about my childhood Richard Simmons pony scarring and is deliberately adding it to the routine to help me overcome my issues. Because seriously, if she were a pony, I'd want to ride her. Bitch is hawt.
I've really been wanting to try Zumba, because I too got chubby over the winter and it just seems like such fun. I used to take dance lessons as a kid, and I got some dance workout DVD things with the hopes that they'd be more fun dancing and less me wanting to kill the perky bitch hosting it. No luck.
ReplyDeleteBut Zumba seems like it might be what I was looking for. And the music will fit right in with my neighbors. Either they've had the same song playing in their car for the last two years or all Mexican music has exactly the same beat.
There is a Zumba class being offered at my work today to try to get us to be more active. I watched some videos and am skerred to try it. I will look ridiculous. But apparently that's okay, huh? Awesome.
ReplyDeletehttp://miss-minneapolis.blogspot.com
Nat: Get with the program, girl! :) I hadn't heard much about it either till I read Aly's blog entry. So we can be behind the times together.
ReplyDeleteCora: I'm exhausted just reading about inclines. I don't mind the walking 90 minutes thing, but inclines? NO. Hell no.
Ms. OWO: It doesn't say what all the moves are so I'm not sure. What IS the Pony? It sounds kind of vulgar in a good way.
Jenna: I think you'd love it. All that pelvic thrusting and shaking your booty. :)
ReplyDeleteM: You'd be great at it, woman. And next time you're entertaining some goats you can demonstrate it. Animals love all that gyration! (what?)
Ooooh! Nice try, Veg! I ALMOST fell for that one.
ReplyDeleteYou're just trying to get me to do a pony vlog. Well, it won't work! No, sirree.
I want wallpaper in my house to be made outta your paintings!!! How badass would that be?
ReplyDeleteCan you Zumba some for me? Special attention on the thigh region, por favor.
Ms. OWO: Damn it. I totally thought you'd do it. I was looking forward to it too.
ReplyDeleteBuffs: I have trouble enough zumbaing for ME. I am a big sweaty mess in about two minutes flat. :) But you know. I'll TRY.
i'm starting zumba in 2 weeks! i'm totally the least latin person in the world, so i'm sure i'll be doing the hemorrhoids face, too...or worse.
ReplyDeletethere's an award for you over at my blog!
Um no. I'M the least latin person on earth. :) But we can be pasty white girls together I guess. Thank you too. For the award. Which I will check out immediately.
ReplyDeleteZumba? All the cool kids are doing it...
ReplyDeleteIs that like Scottish Country Dancing then? Can you do it at school in the run up to Christmas? Without having to dance with boys?
ReplyDeleteI am soooo not feeling this summer crap here. It has already hit 120++ and the humidity is lingering around 90%. When I am not struggling to breathe I am praying for rain ;0)
ReplyDeleteI don't think the theological implications of PMS ever occurred to me.
ReplyDelete