While I wait in rapt anticipation for the day I can breathe through my schnozola again without sounding like a dying whale, I can’t help but notice summer seems to be having a preview in the ‘hood. 70 degrees, buds on the trees, blinding flashes of luminescent, clammy, wobbly white flesh abundant on somewhat incredulous passing humans.
Winter is long in the northern states. Long, dark and cold. But now, where there was a multitude of never ending dark evenings, during which one did little more than sit on the couch eating cookies and feeling one’s pattoot expand outwards into a jelly cushion of flesh that could block out the sun at its lowest point in the sky, now it’s getting dark later and the sun’s out to warm your skin and you can walk to the parking lot without even thinking about a coat, an unattractive ear flap hat, a big, fuck-off pair of boots or saying a bad, bad blasphemous word.
Now I only say those words when confronted with a lack of cheese or Diet Pepsi in the fridge, or an over-zealous Jehova’s Witness at the door, trying to save my soul.
I know right? Like I have a soul.
Anyway, I just came on to share a quick anecdote about how, when standing in line in the supermarket last week, this old lady with a walking cane shuffled past me, en route to the Depends aisle, or tuna aisle or wherever else single, mobility-challenged, polyester-slack-wearing octogenarians go in these places that are too sad to contemplate fully.
Just as I was starting to feel all depressed about this unfortunate lady and my brain is concocting a tear-jerking back story about her living alone with her seven cats, a hole in the roof and a fridge full of TV Dinners for one, she managed to turn my impending sadness into pure, unadulterated joy, by ripping a gigantic, resounding fart. Right there in the middle of the store. Yes, this frail looking, sweet old lady, just fired a colossal fanny-bullet (that’s “fanny” in the American sense, you Brits, don’t get excited) and kept on walking like nothing happened. Like she hadn’t even noticed that thunderous, vibrating behemoth exiting her back yard like a charging elephant.
SWEET! I was slack-jawed with amazement and delight and desperate to share it with my fellow man. I glanced around furtively, looking at other shoppers hoping to catch someone else who’d noticed, someone to snicker with and wink knowingly at, but not a single person was acknowledging the gargantuan butt-freight-train that had just blasted through town and was working its way down aisle five.
Some people have no sense of humour. But me, I smirked to myself the whole way through checkout and again when I passed the same lady in the parking lot, no doubt still crop-dusting the area with the fragrant remains of prune juice and green beans.
It’s the one thing I’m looking forward to about being 80. Emitting bodily eruptions as often and as publicly as possible and being not at all apologetic for it. Because when you’re 80, you’re bulletproof. You’ve earned it, baby. I mean everything else is going south, you might as well have a good time where you can, right? In fact, when I’M 80, I plan on deviously dishing out my bottom biscuits strategically, in areas likely to cause the most offense or hilarity.
Yes. I’m already planning my deviousness ahead.
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's the What What
So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...
-
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 - the wee small hours of insomnia Religion. It's all around us. And it's killing us in record num...
-
You know what? Swearing's a fine tool to have in your arsenal, and Lord knows it's my favourite power tool of all - even better tha...
-
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 – achey breaky knee, Tonka Bean chocolate is good, digging plaid Hi! Yes you! Remember me? I sometimes post n...
I would consider moving to Canada to attend a church service with old you.
ReplyDeleteOld people rule!
ReplyDeleteWell if you should ever be near "old me" (don't worry, I'll be somewhere warm like Florida or California) I'd suggest bringing a World War II gas mask and some air freshner. :)
ReplyDeleteRed: They do. I like old people a lot actually. So long as they control their omissions in small spaces I'm in. Of course, I could say the same about anyone...
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of a rocking chair, a 90 Schilling beer in my hand, and the phone in the other...to call 911 to complain about everything and get even for those days of being the popo. LOL.
ReplyDeleteI like that idea too. Now have a rifle propped up against that rocking chair and we're talking! Use it to threaten the kids to get off of your lawn. :) Or at least fire an empty beer can at them. And when the popo arrive, find the youngest male officer fresh from the academy and pinch his ass.
ReplyDeleteThere are a number of family Christmas photos of my brother, sister, and I with our grandma where we are clearly trying not to bust out laughing. It seemed like grandma would always wait until picture time to let'r rip. We'd always pretend like it didn't just happen and save our laughter for the ride home.
ReplyDeleteThat could easily be my nan you're describing there...well, if she has gotten on a plane recently and flown over to you from England through all the volcanic ask of course.
ReplyDeleteI used to be a care worker looking after 55 oldies in a residential home, I tell you I could write a book filled with funny things they do!
SG: Haha, I have similar memories of my grandma only with her it wasn't farts so much as belching. Loud enough to hear overseas. SO funny. Yet laughter not encouraged by my folks at all. Like that deterred me.
ReplyDeleteMarti: And I SO want you to write that book because you know I'd read that thing cover to cover and probably get myself thrown off a plane or something for guffawing inappropriately in a terrorist manner. Yup.
Wait, you're supposed to wait until you're old to do things like that?
ReplyDeleteUnless you're a dude, in which case, Phew, huh?
ReplyDeleteI bet she has fart wars with the cats when she's at home. You know, for practice.
ReplyDelete...which I would NEVER do...
I fully intend to be a disgusting, burping, belching, farting and cussing old lady who pushes to the front of the queue and runs over other shoppers' feet with my trolley and then pretends nothing happened....just like the golden oldies at my local supermarket.
ReplyDeleteFanny bullet! What an expression.
ReplyDeleteLike you pointed out though, since it means something else over here, it probably wouldn't work as an expression in Scotland. Which I am very sad about.
Perhaps I could say "bum bullet" or "arse bullet" instead...
Li: Uh huh. Only delicate lady things occur around your person. You use doilies and wear lace and white gloves to dinner. I know, man, I know.
ReplyDeleteNat: Well I say go for it. It's what you've worked for all your life. :)
P: Hmmm yes, a British "fanny bullet" would be a different realm altogether and we won't go there. Arse-bullet works though. Or how about this: Arse-arrow. No? No.
I wasn't aware we shopped at the same supermarket.
ReplyDeleteEva: Ha!! You're not nearly old enough to be THAT lady and as far as I can tell you have your bodily functions intact in public. Although I'm slightly disappointed you're NOT blasting your way through the produce aisle, just to practice for the day you're 80.
ReplyDeleteFanny bullet!!! <---New favorite expression. And I want to be just that fragrantly disruptive when I'm 80, except maybe I'll wait til I'm in the check-out line to launch a few, just for spite. *Wiggles eyebrows deviously.*
ReplyDeleteGood for you, kid. You stink it up good! I'm so proud of you in advance, even though you won't be 80 for about 200 years. :)
ReplyDeleteMy mother has always said that she can't wait until she looks old enough to fake ragging dementia in public. She fully intends to pee her pants, yell at people and lick sidewalks.
ReplyDeleteSigh.
I know some of you have romantic ideas of how fun it must be having an old hippy as a mother but obviously, you haven't met mine.
Your mum sounds more entertaining than 99% of stuff on Comedy Central or the Comedy Network. You know, so long as she's YOUR mum...
ReplyDeleteI've managed, through guile, patience, and sheer sweat and blood, to only emit bad words when there's a Jehovah's Witness in the fridge. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does I'm furious. Especially when they eat my cheese or squirt tomato purée down the back.
ReplyDeleteThat's just taking your love of the Lord too far, man. In your FRIDGE? Eating your cheese and pickled onions? I'd stab him!
ReplyDeleteHoly bottom biscuit, I just laughed so hard. Old people are awesome.
ReplyDeleteAwesome and either brazen or just deaf! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat if you don't get to 80? Since like grandparents in Scotland only like live to 35.
ReplyDeleteWell young man, you can either get in shape for old age now, or just use your public gas allowance before you're 35 just in case...
ReplyDeletemany many new favorite phrases in this post...fanny bullet, crop-dusting, bottom biscuit. make sure to lose your sense of smell before you turn 80 though.
ReplyDeleteWhen I am 80 I shall eat nothing but crab cakes, beer, and baked beans and then hang out in the store giddily anticipating making your day!
ReplyDeleteBlimey, I didn't notice he ate my pickled onions.
ReplyDelete*blink*
Were YOU in my fridge too?
Sarah: I am your lexicon of useful phrases, learn and astound! :)
ReplyDeleteSkyler'sPa: Oh, I can hardly wait. In fact, I'll be right there with you blasting my own noxious mixtures. In fact, we'll all be there. Having a grand old time intoxicating those pesky youngsters (under 70s).
Mo: Um. I always give myself away. Goddamn it. I left the kidney pie though. You can have that.
Okay so it's funny when an old lady does it, but when I do it it's gross and inappropriate?? I can't wait to get old.
ReplyDeleteNo, I fully believe it would be hilarious if you did it too, but somehow that sound blasting out of an old lady is just SUPREMELY funny.
ReplyDeleteI specialised in geriatrics. Weird I know, freaky stupid I know. But I now have the inside knowledge so I'm sorted for the days of compression hose and shower chairs (oh fuck that's now, oh well I digress). What I did learn is that being old is a licence to do whatever the hell you want (be that fart or flash your saggy grey bits) and people think it's cute.
ReplyDeleteMy favourite patient was a pearl-wearing, leprechaun-sized, old lady, who would yell "fuck off you fat fucker" every time the doc came near. Good times.
Hahahaha! Funny how that makes you snort with laughter thinking about it, yet if I yelled that I'd be insane and carted off to the funny farm. Old ladies though? They can totally do it. TOTALLY. :)
ReplyDeleteMy dog likes to crop dust, but it is not as funny unless it makes noise causing him to turn around and look at his butt.
ReplyDeleteoh man, that is truly the best thing about aging: not giving a shit about anything and everything. i'm gonna dye my hair blue, wear sequined spandex jumpsuits, and speak in (fake) russian when i get old. it will be epic.
ReplyDeleteBeing old has its advantages. Mainly farting in public, complaining loudly about everything but refusing to accept any attempts to fix the problem at hand, and sleeping most of the day.
ReplyDeleteGod, I love the Olds.
ReplyDeletePS- Not Diet Coke? For real?
Why wait till you're, i say. May as well enjoy life now. incidentally, you probably don't want to stand too close to me in long queues or sit next to me in the waiting room.
ReplyDeleteEmitting bodily eruptions as often and as publically as possible and being not at all apologetic for it.
ReplyDeleteI thought you already did that. ;)
My grandma just turned 75 and I've never once heard her let one rip. It's got to be a southern thing. I don't know if I'll even be allowed to do it when I'm old. Sigh. Cultural oppression.
ReplyDeleteAm I the only one that doesn't know what fanny means to the English? This is bullshit.
I do that now and I'm just over 40.
ReplyDeleteSO FAR ahead of the curve it's not even funny.
Or behind it.
Whatever.
It's nice that 'P' went to the trouble of making her blog photo with something over her mouth / nose especially for your post here to cover up the stench of bum bullets.
ReplyDeleteOh, also, in your flatulence studies, have you noticed an inverse correllation between noise and smell?
ReplyDeleteFWIW, I would have been laughing with you. I plan to take up smoking when I turn 80 because, really, why the hell not? Smoking and farting in public. This may be the first time I've looked forward to getting old. Thanks for that.
ReplyDeleteMelissa: I love when dogs do that stuff. Like "What the HELL was that" like they're just GOBSMACKED. They're so innocent. And stinky. :)
ReplyDeleteAladdin: I am TOTALLY going to bingo with YOU.
Beck: Wow. That sounds like my ideal day. Sign me up!
Robin: I think I've explained this before - Diet Pepsi = heavenly, Diet Coke = Satanly. See? :)
Heather: Yikes! Well so long as they're not stinky they'd be funny. Stinky isn't funny. Loud and obnoxious is stinky! But I say go for it. They might lock you up for being insane but you'll have some great stories.
Lord of Madness: Only when no one's around. Loud and proud that's me. And only if veggie burgers have been procured and consumed. :)
Ms. OWO: It's better you don't know Al. Really. But since you don't, let me explain. It's the other side in Britain. It's a lady's uh...FRONT BOTTOM. No? There you go. Don't go faintin'.
Moooooog: As a man it's slightly different because you all are so proud of your gaseous emissions. They're like badges of honour. You WANT people to hear them and say "My God, that's the biggest fart I ever heard, you must be quite the guy!"
Eric: I think she came prepared. And left uncontaminated. :) And no, no smell was apparent from the old dear although I was pretty busy laughing and muttering to myself with glee to notice really...
Brutalism: We need some reason to look forward to our advanced senior years. Just the idea of not giving a rip what anyone thinks is refreshing. I can't wait to sit on a bus clutching my discount travel card and farting like a whoopee cushion.
living alone with her seven cats, a hole in the roof and a fridge full of TV Dinners for one
ReplyDeleteUm, you just described ME!
Hahahaha! Hardly. You need a few more cats, a lot more years and I'm sure your roof's intact. I can't vouch for the TV dinners though. But should farting in public make you feel better, go right ahead.
ReplyDeleteI will be old very shortly, and things like this make me excited for it. I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteThere was an old lady at our church who tried to cough at the strategically best moment as she let 'er rip ...
ReplyDeleteMy guess is the poor ol' dear probably couldn't hear the backfire she had. Or maybe she did and didn't give two figs about who heard her or not - just like you said.
May I suggest elevators for maximum damage and offense to innocent noses? You're going to be hell on a walker, I can tell, VA!
Words: I think you have quite a while to go yet dude, but by all means start practicing now!
ReplyDeleteDame: Hahaha, the backfire is awesome. Like when you sneeze violently and one blasts out simultaneously. I call it "A duet". Or would. You know, if I ever did...that.
it was probably my granny. i literally laughed out loud at this and mary asked why. i read some of it to her and she would like you to rate it on a scale of 1 - 10. yes, we do this with ALL farts. her guess this one went off the scale to a 13 or 15.
ReplyDeleteWell since I'm a huge fan of Mary, as you know, I'll tell you! Volume: 9, Smell: 0, Enthusiasm: 7, Deviousness: 7, Performance: 9, Impersonating a wind instrument: 8, Appearing Innocent: 10. :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome. I would have totally winked at and smirked with you! My 80-ish year old aunt does that all the fucking time. The thing is, when you're that old, your hearing starts to go too, so she probably didn't know it was audible. She just feels them come out and assumes they're all SBDs (silent but deadly). No one would ever suspect the sweet old lady, right?
ReplyDeleteSadly miss L. I fear that is exactly the case, ruining my fantasy of old people just blatantly ripping them at will. :) But either way, it's still damn funny, right?
ReplyDeleteSo now that I've got an office to myself (kind of on the small side though) I admit, I've "let myself go" quite a bit. It's pretty much soundproofed, so I don't really hold back.
ReplyDeleteThere's a window in the door, which is handy because when people poke their head in the frame to see if I'm busy, I can wave my hands and pretend I'm on the phone. Big conference call, yeah. You don't want to come in here just now.
Ha, the joy of having your own office! Now you just need a dog so you can blame him for it if someone does dare enter at the wrong time. :)
ReplyDeleteThis has nothing to do with this post, but I thought you might want to see this if you haven't already.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRefK6OyvHU&feature=player_embedded
Are you sure it was a fart? She may have been asking for directions to the beans
ReplyDeleteWell, I for one am not waiting until I'm 80. Fuck it. If the only way for me to be healthy and lose weight is to eat ridiculous amounts of gas-inducing veggies and legumes, you can bet your sweet ass I will pass gas as it arises.
ReplyDeleteMelissa: Haha, actually I had seen that but it is nonetheless fantastic anyway. Because isn't he the sweetest old guy like...EVER??? He is! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteUberG: Good point. But unless it's some undiscovered dialect from say...MARS...it was a fart. Most definitely. Either that or she split her pants.
Jessica: You go girl! I like your spunk (that's what she said!). You go out there and just blast it like it is, woman. Kudos to you.
I just so want to be that old woman when I grow up. Maybe she'd been holding it in for years.
ReplyDeleteOh holy hilarity!!!
ReplyDeleteMy Aunt is 80 and did the same thing in my kitchen when my teens, aged 15 and 14 were in attendance. After our vivacious laughter erupted, only moments after the fanny burp, she then proceeded to explain to us, straight faced, that as one ages, the sphincter muscles loosen drastically, causing gas to pass more frequently and with more volume.
The look of horror on my kids faces will stay with me forever...:)
AWESOMENESS.
ReplyDeleteI actually had an old lady/grocery store experience this week too! This old lady came up to me holding a jar of sumthin and says, "Excuse me dear, is this the sweet and sour sauce that I always get?"
Ummmm, possibly?
you have a lot of fartal euphemisms. i am impressed.
ReplyDeleteNothing like a bit of Octogenarian thunder to brighten one's day (mine was, and I wasn't even there!) I can relate to the summish preview. We should still have a bit of snow on the ground...instead the dog poop is revealed, scattered across the greening lawn.
ReplyDeleteOh, I hope I'm never the old lady in the grocery store...my daughter probably thinks I'm the old lady...uh-oh.
ReplyDeleteMary
Old lady farts are awesome! Frickin' hilarious. My mom is 83 and she laughs out loud when she farts. Love that attitude! Great post!
ReplyDeleteOld people rock when they fart.
ReplyDeleteThats why I'm looking forward to getting older, farting without being socially embarrassed.
Hope your well my Veggie friend?
Hmmm I'm pondering whether or not I need to wait until I'm a little old whale shaped lady.
ReplyDeleteIf I'm barred from Tesco next week I'll be blaming it on you y'know.
Bloody hell Veg you are hilarious but I'm very relieved that when we're both 80, I'll be this side of the pond and safe from your rip-roaring farts...
ReplyDeleteMadame: It certainly sounded like it. She blasted it forth with pride, like, "I HAVE WORKED FOR THIS!" Actually she didn't acknowledge it at all, making it ever funnier.
ReplyDeleteCandy: Hahahaha! Just what kids want to hear I'm sure. Maybe she could end up by detailing her sex life to totally put them over the edge. :)
Buffster: YOU MEAN...YOU DIDN'T KNOW? What sort of not at all psychic are you, dude?
Beckeeee: I have not even scraped the tip of the iceberg yet, baby. (that wasn't one, incidentally)
Alan: I know! It's the little things that brighten one's day. And I escpecially hate the big grocery shop night, so anything to alleviate the stress of that is welcome for sure! :)
Periods: Oh, I'm not sure you get the choice. I think you just turn into that lady on your 80th birthday. What a sobering thought, eh?
Tgoette: I love that too. When they acknowledge it, everyone can relax. When they don't though, it's even funnier because it's TABOO!
Dan: Hey dude, where have you been!? I'm happy we all have an old age goal now. Public gas. :) Rock on.
Macy: I say if you want to practice now, go ahead. You might get some disgusted looks though because younger people aren't supposed to just let loose with the body noises. If someone looks at you funny, just scrunch up your nose, raise your leg and rip a good one. Haha!
Muuuuuuumeee: Oh I'll be sure to find you. I will fly over, track you down, set up a tent on your lawn and fart till you come out and say hi. You're warned.
You just cemented your place on the top of my "absolute favourite" (fruitcake) list.
ReplyDeleteWhen I'm old my only aim will be to cement myself as a gargantuan butt-freight-train.
"crop-dusting the area with the fragrant remains of prune juice and green beans" was and is the funniest thing I've read in the last give minutes. I'd give you a medal if I didn't need to buy some cheese.
This reminded me of my dad talking about my granny and saying that she used so much talcum powder that when she farted a little cloud would come out.
ReplyDeleteMo: Cheese always comes first, man. If you're any sort of a person. Mmm, cheese!
ReplyDeleteSoda: Hahahaha! I remember some video on YouTube with a talced up baby farting a cloud! Hahaha!
LOVED the description of this and loved that you know about...well, the other fanny! Made it that much more awesome.
ReplyDeleteLMFAO!! You always crack me up :)
ReplyDeleteSadako: The REAL fanny, you mean? :)
ReplyDeleteCass: You're always high. We're even. Hee.
I can't believe you've even got spokespeople now... and yes I think he is hung like a horse ;0)
ReplyDeleteOK, OK... so that had absolutely no relevance to this post.... I should always look up - not down!!
ReplyDeleteHahahahaha! Idiot! Still I must be as well since I totally understood what you meant. :)
ReplyDeleteoh yes you are sooo right. This is why I adore old people. I had a similar experience at the Shop Rite near my house. Except the lady farted and these assholes that turned into our aisle thought i just laid an ass bomb. Damn those hub arounds and their speedyness
ReplyDeleteIt's always the old person, man. They're stealth. They look so innocent. "Oh I'm so old and sweet!" And all the time they're crop dusting the entire area with their farts. Tsk!
ReplyDelete