Monday, February 8, 2010

Weekend Shenanigans Or Lack Thereof

Monday, yay!

I jest.

I seem to have done a thing to my neck. Last night I couldn’t turn my head more than a few degrees in either direction without looking like I might be attempting some eighties’ robotic dance and every time I rolled onto my left side in the night I emitted a yelp that sounded like I’d accidentally bloated up to about 600lbs then decided to sit on a puppy. It was most disconcerting.

I blame the weather. It snowed all weekend long meaning I frowned more than usual and all that extra upper body muscle contorting meant I cricked things that shouldn’t be cricked. That and the fact I went to the movies twice this weekend and had to sit still for two hours straight both days, didn’t help at all.

Incidentally, one of the movies I saw was “The Road”. I didn’t go into it expecting to be rolling in the aisles holding my sides (unless an unexpected bout of appendicitis reared its ugly head) but really. Is there any more depressing movie in the history of movies? I have a feeling if you watched “The Road”and maybe “Schindler’s List” in a row, one grey Sunday afternoon, you’d consider sticking your whole head in the blender. I mean, I liked it and everything. I just wanted to drink an entire bottle of tequila after it.

The other movie was “Up In The Air” which a lot of people didn’t like, calling it boring and slow. Me though, I loved it. It’s my speed, because you know…I’m boring and slow myself. Especially in the mornings. Jesus Christ. I make no sense at all. I’m like Nicolas Cage trying to play a physics professor.

Anyway, I think George Clooney is fast becoming my favourite actor. I mean this sincerely. I don’t find him attractive practically at all, so saying “George Clooney might be my favourite actor” is frustrating because people assume you’re just hot for the guy like every other woman on Earth seems to be. And well…I’m not. But I think he’s a good actor. I like most of his movies. I like his characters even though they’re often pretty much the same character. I can’t think of anyone else I find as watchable yet don’t want to do sexy things with. I can’t explain it really.

Plus the movie just spoke to me. I identified with it a lot, since I’m so fond of being on the move, of limiting my ties. I liked that they didn’t cop out and give it a standard happy ending, making me hate it. It was real. It didn’t preach. I like that. Well done, Jason Reitman. Sorry that tripe “Avatar” is probably going to overshadow you at the Oscars.

And no, I did not watch the Superbowl. I couldn't even tell you who was IN the Superbowl let alone who won, that's how much I care. I wouldn't care about the Superbowl even if it was sitting on my head singing sea shanties.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have stuff to do before I get yelled at.

67 comments:

  1. Yeah I liked Up in the Air too. Did you know the people who were getting fired were actual people who recently had been let go? And they were told to just say what they wanted to say to their former employers?
    That's what I heard anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I just read that very fact myself yesterday, so yes I did. I think that's great. That must've been pretty therapeutic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pffft! I didn't watch the Super Bowl. Nor did I see either of those movies. Frankly, I dunno what I've been doing with my time. Hmm....?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling a tad decrepit myself today with the mother of all bruises on my arm, knackered back and stuffed toe...Aikido gone bad.

    Hope your neck gets better soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! One does wonder, girlie. Maybe you were out being a Superhero? Are your underpants outside your tights this morning? It might be a clue...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes Nat. At least you have an EXCUSE for being all beaten up. Me, I did NOTHING. :) Feel better, ninja girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love that job...firing people. I think I'd do well at it.....

    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to "Up in the Air".

    I have the same thought about Brad Pitt. I think he's a great actor, but everyone gives me that mmm hmm look. The guy is good looking, sometimes, but that's not the issue. Especially after watching "Inglorious Basterds".

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should probably avoid slam dancing tonight.

    I share your non-sexual affection for Clooney. I could watch Oh Brother Where Art Thou on endless loop. Coincidentally I'm rocking that same hairdo having not showered all weekend. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you did sit on the puppy and its neck in particular, then the two of you could perform a robotic dance together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So weird. I woke up on Saturday with what I insist on calling "a broken neck." That bad boy wouldn't move and when I attempted, I was punished with pain. Didn't help that I had to shovel four feet of snow with my broken neck either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jules: Haha, you'd get perverse pleasure from it.

    Ms. OWO: I know, same thing. Strangely, talking of Brad and Inglorious Basterds, I liked that movie a lot apart from the parts he was in. Nothing to do with him and his abilities, I just didn't think the movie required it really. Not that I minded him being there.

    Elly: I'll do my best, being such a slammer normally. :) He was great in "O Brother". My fave role of his is still in "From Dusk Till Dawn". He'll never get a sexier role either, for those ladies who like them some Clooney action. I mean I almost got it in that movie.

    Mo: True. I wouldn't feel alone at least. :) Although if I was 600lbs any sort of movement would be hard I'd think...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicole: Gasp. You had to shovel snow WITH YOUR NECK???? :) Ha! Doesn't it hurt though waking up wiht a crick? It's like "Oh I feel fine, I feel (move) OOOOOOOOOOOUCH!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was watching for the commercials. I mean inbetween the commercials they were playing some football game, but I was getting snacks at the time so I wouldn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That Vera Ferblahblah chick is so, so pretty, but I think she filled in her face lines with ass fat or something. She suddenly looks younger, yet older. During the movie, she says something like, "Well, when you're 34..." and half the theater went "Pfft. *cough* Yeahright."

    But I liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There you go! That's called "Getting your priorities right." :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha Steamy. Yeah I thought that too. I thought "Oh. She's 34? I thought maybe 40." But she is pretty, yes. I thought the young chick was really good. I have worked with so many chicks JUST like her. Fresh out of college and all over eager and smart and inexperienced.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to take George Clooney movies on a case by case basis. For some reason I don't really like the guy. But I do want to see "Up in the Air," mainly for Anna Kendrick who I loved in "Camp."

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well miss Amber, I haven't seen "Camp" but I can tell you she's great in "Up In The Air" for sure. I thought so anyway. Convincingly corporate and convincingly fallible. And doesn't get flustered opposite Mr. Heart-throb.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have you seen "Hurt Locker" ?? It's amazing. I mean, not one to watch before you go to bed (like I did and dreamt of people shooting at me all night, swell). But it's so good.

    And have you seen "Inglorious"? Again, so good.

    Hope your neck feels better Veggie!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks dude. I'm sure it will heal sufficiently for me to rock out soon. :)

    Oddly I have The Hurt Locker to watch right here so this week sometime I will. And I've seen Inglorious Basterds already and liked it. So I'm almost hip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Vegetable Assassin, pleased to meet you! Actually, The Road wasn't as depressing as I'd expected mainly because I'd got it into my head that there was a scene where Vigo's son had to persuade Vigo not to eat human flesh (no idea where that came from), so when that didn't happen I felt quite relieved.
    Slightly disappointed by Up in the Air - mainly due to the cheesy wedding story but agree that George Clooney is easy to watch and infinitely likeable. And was relieved that there wasn't a happy ending - oops sorry if I've spoiled it for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha, I don't think you gave much away really. I didn't mind the wedding thing - it seemed like that's probably how it would happen anyway - I'm just happy that they didn't....well I won't give that away.

    Maybe the flesh eating thing happened in the book? Because in the movie the only connection to Viggo was the kid asking for reassurance that they weren't going to eat flesh. I was sort of happy there was a little glimmer of hope at the end of that movie otherwise it would have just been too much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I liked Up in the Air too - I think you have to like character development more than plot for it to be appealing.

    The scene where they fire the guy via the webcam made me cry a little - so dehumanizing.

    I may also have had a little PSM thing happening..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah I agree, it's definitely a character driven movie. If you explained the plot to someone they'd be all "What?". I can't explain why I liked it so much except it reminded me in tone of "Lost in Translation" although the two movies are nothing alike. It was just the ability to get a taste of this surreal world he lived in, reminded me of Bill Murray being bemused by Japanese culture in LIT.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay, I have to confess: My affection for George Clooney and Brad Pitt is all sexual. Not to say they can't act; I just wouldn't care if they couldn't. Especially if I could get them to do strange and unnatural things to me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't heard of The Road and on your note will not be seeing it.

    Up in the Air sounds good but will prob wait for Netflix

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  28. Did you overdo your chin presses again? Git better.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I guess I feel the same way about Tom Cruise- do NOT find him attractive, but have to begrudgingly admit he's a good actor. I still hate him though.

    ReplyDelete
  30. With a weekend like that, I'm amazed you didn't slit your wrists.

    It's not too late.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Eva: Well at least you're honest about it, you deviant sex beast. :) I feel the same about Brad Pitt as I do about George Clooney. I don't find him hot but interesting to watch. I must be missing the chromosome for finding actors hot.

    Vodka: The Road was good, just depressing as hell. Up in The Air though, I liked a lot. Obviously.

    Eric: That was exactly it. It's like you are watching me, dude.

    Prosy: He is sort of creepy looking I think. Even when he wasn't a crazy Scientology freak I thought so. He's sort of screwed himself with his image now. His movies aren't exactly setting Hollywood on fire lately! :)

    Ed: Ah, I got over it when I came out the theatre and bought a Cadbury chocolate egg. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. hope your neck feels better. read the road last year...waiting on the dollar theatre...might check out up in the air now...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well it's not everyone's thing, but you might enjoy it if you like stuff that revolves around characters and not just appearances. I hope you enjoy it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  34. really, they need to review the design of necks because what the hell, necks? why do they do that??? necks make me so angry.

    i've been wanting to see up in the air but i need to convince chuck. i also feel the same way about gc.

    ReplyDelete
  35. OH THANK GOD.

    I was beginning to think I was the only person with a vagina to not find George Clooney all kinds of sexy. I mean, he's a good looking fellow, but he does absolutely nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  36. MLBeckster: Necks are ASSHOLES. Um...and necks. :)

    BECKSTEREYE: Yes! I agree. Good looking man - yet not sexy. I can't quite understand it but I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think George Clooney is probably my favorite actor, and I hope no one suspects that it's just because he's hot. Anyone who thinks Up In The Air is boring or slow is an ADD-addled psycho. I hate that movies aren't allowed to unfold at a leisurely pace anymore. This one did, and it was wonderful. You are not alone in comparing it to Lost In Translation, BTW. I heard a podcast with the director. He said his second choice for the role was Steve Martin and if Martin had played it, he would have slightly rewritten it and "tried to give him his Lost In Translation".

    I know how you feel about The Road. I think the movie I've seen that was the most depressing in that way was 8mm. Which was also not a very good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  38. i am DYING to see "up in the air!" everyone that i know who saw it liked it, too, so you're not the only one!

    and yes, snow fucks with everything. even necks.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I woke up with a nasty pain in my neck on Sunday from too much Stoli and a less than stellar hotel pillow the night before. I was able to knock it out with 3 Extra Strength Tylenol Quick Release and half an hour under a heating pad.
    Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I don't know about his acting chops (with the exception of Oh Brother Where Art Thou) ... but who the hell cares when you can watch him in From Dusk Till Dawn

    "Everybody be cool. YOU - be cool."

    Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Words: Hahaha, oh come on. You dig the dark brooding yet devilish grin of the Cloonster. Free yourself. :) And I agree 100$ about the movie. It was one of my fave movies of the last year FOR SURE.

    I've seen 8MM too but not for years. I remember it not being great and having Whacky Phoenix in it, but beyond that I can't remember.

    Aladdinsane: DO IT! DO IT NOW! It's just a nice, atmospheric, intelligent little movie.

    Lady: Ha, that would do it. Actually too much Stoli might CURE it. Or...not. I took the Tylenol but maybe the pad is the way to go. Today it's at least bearable. :)

    Miss S: THANK YOU! Someone else who appreciates his fabulosity in From Dusk Till Dawn. I always get drunk and start saying, "Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are." ROCK ON! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I gotta say I literally lol'd at the crick mishap; we all know what it feels like to be all robocop-ish with the damn neck cricks, but it's still funny when someone else gets those. BTW I'm glad to here "Up In The Air" was good, being that I planned on seeing it. Yay :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. you have 3 dollar cinemas?

    i like jason reitman as a director. not that i don't like him as a person, but i like how he stepped through the whole stigma of his father through his films.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I loved 'Up in the Air.'

    Mainly because of Vera Farmiga's bum.

    I'm a shallow Farmiga bum-looker.

    Best rock band name ever?

    Possibly.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I think Nicolas Cage is always playing a physics professor. On the inside. I think that's his secret "method" trick. To get that intensity.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Yeay too for "Up in the Air" and some decent themes and personalities. I loved that (just for a change, just for once) the female lead was tougher and smarter than the Clooney.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Haven't seen either of those movies yet (for shaaame!) but neither of them really intrigue me. My fave Clooney movie would have to be Oh Brother Where Art Thou. I think it's his shining moment. And I'm also NOT lusty-mcbusty for him.

    ReplyDelete
  48. J: The neck crick is the bane of my existence. I sleep in a weird position anyway so that does not help at all. Nothing makes you feel as gimpy as walking gingerly for three days. :)

    P: One three dollar cinema. Once a movie stops playing at the regular cinema it goes to the three dollar cinema for a while. As I'm always late to the party, this suits me! :)

    We were talking about Reitman Senior yesterday actually. I hadn't realized till then they were related!

    Moooooog: Two tickets to Farmiga Bum Looker please, Ticketmaster! Hmmm.

    Dog: Yes, he is one intense SOB. He oozes intensity from every pore. Even his little bald head is intense. But he also looks confused a lot. Like "Where did my career go?" confused. I still laugh when South Park refer to him as "The Mongoloid actor Nicolas Cage". Hahaha.

    Macy: Yeah he got played! But really she was just a female version of himself only less... hermitty. It was a great movie. I'm so glad plenty of you agree!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Angie: I liked him in that one too but it wasn't my favourite. But it's so funny to find so many ladies who DON'T swoon at the Cloon. I thought I was just a freak. I like him a lot but you know...not in that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I really liked Up In The Air.. it's rare to see an Actor (capital A) look like s/he's acutally relaxed and enjoying themselves as in the concert and wedding scenes.

    What happened to Nic Cage? Remember Leaving Las Vegas and the Vampire's Kiss? How did he turn into a punchline?

    ReplyDelete
  51. Aura.: Yeah, I thought that scene was completely authentic. It was like an actual wedding instead of a MOVIE wedding. And as for Nic Cage, I don't know. He was the man to watch and now he's the man you giggle at when his previews come on at the movies, while you whisper sarcastic comments to your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I was about to comment when you commented me and I lost my train of thought! Something about not finding George Clooney to be attractive but not disliking him and only watching the Stupid Bowl commercials online the day after the game. Yeah, something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hahaha! It's all coming out. The ladies like the Clooney (but not like THAT!) I think he'd be a gas to hang out and have a beer with, and fun to prank but I don't want to touch his bum especially. How's that?

    ReplyDelete
  54. The Road? Never heard of it. I've heard of Revolutionary Road, but that was from last year. A bit depressing, okay, very depressing, but I really liked it.

    Up in the Air was a good movie, but someone told me it was a comedy. Hello!!!! So not a comedy. However, it was the 1st movie that I thought George wasn't hot.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Definitely not a comedy, but it was pretty funny in parts. Not the movie itself, just the dialogue. "The Road" is a post apocalyptic story. Cheerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Ginger Lynn is fast becoming my favourite actress. I mean this sincerely. Um, I like her stage presence and command of the full range of acting emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Well now aren't we sarcastic today, Tex? Is this your way of saying that I DO have the hots for the Clooney? Because you are so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Ughhh the road made me want to put my head in a stove for a couple of hours, But up in the air, I absolutely loved. I went by myself, and left feeling completely depressed because I related in too many ways... but in the end I really loved it. And George Clooney. He started out as a crush but now I think my movie love for him as grown platonic. He is the only actor of our day that I think we can compare with the "classics." He's got talent, man.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Yeah, the Cloon's A list now, baby! :) Good for him. I can't think of a single other current actor who has the watchability factor he has.

    ReplyDelete
  60. "Avatar" can bite me. Someone needs to tell James Cameron he can spend as much as he wants on a movie, both money and time, but in the end it still requires a compelling STORY.

    ReplyDelete
  61. If you lived here my darling veggie, you wouldn't have a neck problem. It's sunny, it's warm and we haven't seen snow since December AND I LIVE IN CANADA!
    I know. I'm a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Pah, you fucker. You west coast pussies. :) Are you all Olympiced out? Maybe it'll be so warm all the snow will melt and they'll all go home?

    ReplyDelete
  63. HA! I wish!
    I swear to Dog, if one more person asks me if "I believe" I'm going to punch them in the fucking throat.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hahaha! I saw that on your blog and sniggered. Because every time that commercial comes on we make lewd suggestions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  65. No, no...he's a double bagger and I'm okay with putting a bag over his head BUT NOT DOING HIM. I like his music, but ewwwwww...

    ReplyDelete
  66. i MAY be a WEE bit behind in my reading but wanted to share with you that i'd totally tap that clooney. oh and i don't know who was in the superbowl. sleep better tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...