Some might say I was an odd child. I was social yet quiet. I enjoyed people, yet I was perfectly happy to spend time alone. I lived happily in my own world. I liked to draw and I liked to read and those two activities took up 90% of any time I spent indoors. I didn’t get into much trouble and if I did, I was stealth about it.
From early on I disliked dolls and enjoyed collecting toy cars and trucks. I had a train set, which you wound with a key to make a little miniature steam train run around a circular track. I knew the make of every car on the road. My parents, probably envisioning me fifteen years in the future coming home with a buzz cut and a girl dressed in plaid, started buying me dolls. When I did finally play with them, it was to strap them to some devious contraption I’d concocted from an old roller skate and I’d crash them into walls, or drop them off of cliffs or run over them with my bike.
When I was a little older I’d make them have orgies with G.I. Joe, Action Man, and Ken.
I loved being outside and in summer, when it was light till late, I’d be outside from early in the morning till late at night, coming home only if I was hungry or thirsty. I was tall for my age, athletic and sported scabs on my knees for most of my childhood. I embraced a challenge. I was always falling out of trees and off of swings.
When other little girls were asked what they wanted to be when they grew up, they said “teacher” or “stewardess” or “nurse” or “pop star” whereas my ambition was to be a writer or a truck driver. I guess those two things go hand in hand! I’d hand write “novels” in a lined notebook and design my own covers for the outside. I wanted to travel. Later I wanted to be a pilot until I figured out I was scared of flying.
I had a big imagination. I’d ride my bike around and pretend it was a horse, or a car, or that I was on a great adventure, like the sort kids in movies always seemed to have. I’d climb trees and read among the branches. I’d act out crazy scenarios in my mind. I’d carve figures out of Plasticine or clay.
In the summer my grandparents would take me away for weekends by the ocean, in their camper, to give me a break from my more extroverted siblings. I had a strong interest in going places and in the Camper trailer itself. When I visited their house, I’d pretend the camper was my den.
I’d have mad crushes on boys but they never knew. I’ve never chased boys. The ones I’ve had have always just happened, accidentally. I wasn’t a long-haired, dainty, pretty 12-year-old Lolita that made teenage boys weak at the knees, I was the lanky, messy-haired tomboy who biked everywhere and was taller than most of them. They never noticed me. A few years later they were all much taller than me and I had boobs, so the whole dynamic changed. Despite my huge collection of friends and acquaintances, I was shy but I maintained a wicked sense of humour.
In my teens I didn’t mind school. I found it fairly effortless and I was a straight A student. I had a lot of friends but rarely a “best” friend. I liked my own company. I was interested in languages and screen printing and photography and music. I rocked quadratic equations. I sucked enormously at history. I didn’t mind.
I’d lock myself in my bedroom in the dark with my headphones on and listen to music. I mean REALLY listen. To every instrument, to the vocal, to the lyrics. I favoured the obscure but I still demanded melody. I thought “mainstream” equated “boring”.
Things I always had around: a guitar, a sketch pad. I’d buy vintage clothes from the flea market and alter them to fit me. I wrote short sci-fi stories. I drew cartoons.
I preferred the geeks to the sporty popular boys. I wrote my own songs. I wished I wore glasses. I dyed my hair pink, then black, then bleached it blonde.
Sometimes I have trouble remembering the old me. Other times she’s right there in the mirror staring back at me, only now she’s a little more tamed by the bonds of reality that growing up brings. It’s sort of bittersweet. I’d still like to drive a truck. I still suck at history. I’m still imaginative and in love with creativity.
I just fall off of swings less often.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's the What What
So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...
-
You know what? Swearing's a fine tool to have in your arsenal, and Lord knows it's my favourite power tool of all - even better tha...
-
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 – achey breaky knee, Tonka Bean chocolate is good, digging plaid Hi! Yes you! Remember me? I sometimes post n...
-
Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, mid afternoon, coffee wearing off, feeling disagreeable. I'm not a very child friendly person, I fully ...
What a fantastic look into what made you, YOU. I always enjoy your posts; particularly your sense of humor. It is a highlight of my day when you have a new thing to share. This is the first time I am commenting (I guess that makes me a lurker??!!) I was profoundly touched (and jealous) at how well you were able to recall growing up. I loved it.
ReplyDeleteThank you, that's so nice of you! And I'm happy you de-lurked for a day. :) I'm always really pleased to hear about lurkers and amazed someone is reading this!
ReplyDeleteThis is really lovely.
ReplyDeleteYou know, I'm not a wise ass all the time, Red. (only 99% of it) And thank you!
ReplyDeleteI think I'm falling in love with you.
ReplyDeleteSeriously though, your younger self reminds me a lot of my younger self, with 2 changes- I went from chubby to tall and with boobs (actually big boobs at 13) and I had 2 boyfriends through high school, I think mostly to control my sexual impulses, but other than them, I was friends with no one and everyone at the same time
Haha, I think it's the weirdest time of your life - the whole transformation from childhood to puberty. I was tall, lanky, boyish and suddenly I had boobs, hips and grew out my hair and it was like I suddenly flicked on a visibility switch. :)
ReplyDeleteYou sound like me growing up! Instead of a truck driver though I wanted to be Luke Skywalker though. I guess some dreams truly are out of reach. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteAw sweetie, unless you can grow a penis, I guess that's out. I happen to think the force can be with you, regardless. You can be Lola Skywalker.
ReplyDeleteI could have helped you with your falling-out-of-trees problem. Maybe it's not too late to drive a truck. I'm sure you'd write an interesting journal about your experiences.
ReplyDeleteI had a swing in our apple tree in the back garden. My Mum says I used to swing for hours making up little songs and singing ... until my older Evil Sister got home from school and did something to make me cry. Oh, and I never really did manage to grow boobs ... ;)
ReplyDeleteGB: Yes, I could have used your gorilla arms for sure! Maybe if I stretched mine some.... Maybe I'll drive a truck some day. Who knows? Isn't that a scary thought?
ReplyDeleteDJ: Evil siblings. Did your sister grow all the boobs in your family then? :)
Guitar playing, humor, Plasticine, red hair and even boobs too? I knew I liked you for a(some) reason(s).
ReplyDeletelol, sorry to your boyfriend for that last comment.
Hahaha! Oh he's going to kick your ass (not). Plasticine is something I still have around. You never know when you might want to sculpt something silly and disposable. Maybe I could satisfy two of your criteria there by sculpting some plasticine boobs!
ReplyDeleteIf you were around my area, we'd of had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, you weren't. Mose of the people in my area were preppy scum so I kept to myself. Worked out great! Still does! Heh.
ReplyDeleteHaving a serious bout of insomnia tonight (or should that be this morning??) but this post was so wonderful that I'm glad I was awake to read it. I loved this so very, very much. I feel so privileged to be allowed to read this sweet and beautifully written insight into you. So thank you, dearest Veg, for allowing us this little glimpse of into both your inner world and the things which have shaped you into the wonderful and zany woman we all love so much. Like Valerie, I think I'm just a little bit more in love with you now.
ReplyDelete(Gushy enough for ya?)
F: Yeah, Pittsburgh would be in ruins by now if that happened. :)
ReplyDeleteThe Girl: Awww you sappy thing you. Just wait till tomorrow when I'm being an ass again, you'll get over it. But thank you!
What, no snark from the Veggiemeister today?? Ah but I love it.
ReplyDeleteDude, I'm feeling a bit under the weather apparently. :)
ReplyDeleteYou sound like the sort of girl I always wanted to be friends with but felt too boring to be so. Which is a good thing and says more about me than it does about you, if you see what I mean. Maybe I should climb more trees.
ReplyDeleteOh please, I was the epitome of uncool as a kid. You were probably being all fashionable and popular. :) I mainly climbed the trees to get away from people.
ReplyDeleteYou are genuinely fascinating. I like that about you.
ReplyDeleteYou know, you're kind of freaking me out. There I was making some graphic for YOUR comment when I come back here and there you are. Aaagh! Um did I say "making a graphic"? I meant, finding that authentic picture and letting you see it.
ReplyDeleteI was social yet quiet. I enjoyed people, yet I was perfectly happy to spend time alone. I lived happily in my own world. I liked to draw and I liked to read and those two activities took up 90% of any time I spent indoors. I didn’t get into much trouble and if I did, I was stealth about it.
ReplyDeleteWhile I imagine that could be applied to a lot of kids, it’s an accurate description of me as a child. It’s amazing what a world you can create for yourself when you’re on your own; especially with an absorbing book. I never lost that escapist aspect; I never could understand people who said they were bored when they had nothing to do. I can sit for hours alone and entertain myself (careful!); being able to totally withdraw into a daydream is an greatly under-appreciated quality.
I completely agree! And on the daydream thing. Daydreams fuel the imagination in my opinion and are to be encouraged. Plus some of those daydreams can become real, right? :)
ReplyDeleteYou know, the Lolita of the book wasn't a raving beauty either. She was a little more tomboyish, and quite graceless. So, don't sell yourself short. You totally could have been worthy of a creepy pedophile.
ReplyDeleteHahaha, you fucker. I did suck a lot of lollipops. They like that don't they, the old men?
ReplyDeleteSomething's in the water here in Blogland...everyone's getting all serious and reflective and shit. But I really like this. You seem to know yourself really well, and that isn't as inane a statement as it sounds at first blush.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I spent 90% of my time drawing and reading, too.
Ha yeah, I think you inspired me with your "this is how I am" post. :) Don't go expecting it again for a while though, ok? Normal, inane service resumes tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteLet's all write lame parody poems, pass them off as genuine and try to win Authorblog's Post Of The Day.
ReplyDeleteOh you ARE awful. But I like you! :)
ReplyDeleteYou're amazing at whatever you do and today's no exception.
ReplyDeleteI wish I knew you as a kid - particularly more in the teenage years when ... y'know, head start on rrrh rrrhww.
You saucy devil! I hope.
ReplyDeleteAh, I think god likes you. Does he have an older brother?
ReplyDeleteVA, this was an amazing piece of writing. When you are so honest about yourself, it really resonates with people.
You always tell me I'm crazy, but I do hope you are pulling together an outline for your book. Will it be memoir/essays? Or a screenplay based on the life of a Veggie Assassin?
Or a graphic novel?
It might be a graphic novel of my memoirs (no, it won't). I'm all about fiction writing. No memoirs. That lame stuff gets posted here.:)
ReplyDeleteVeggie, I heart you so much right now for sharing this with us.
ReplyDeleteSounds like we were very similar as well... that paragraph Simon highlighted was me too. And my Barbies had affairs with Action Man (he was cooler and sexier than that lame-ass Ken).
Now that was sweet. Of course I always made my Barbies slutty and marry and divorce several times. They also might have had a affair with Big Jim in his sports camper. Aaah, to be 7 again :)
ReplyDeleteI love it when people do posts like this. Awesome stuff!
ReplyDeleteThank you Mr. Guy! I saw the first five words and was sure you were about to bust out some sarcasm. Then you didn't...
ReplyDeleteSoda: Oh God, who could forget Action Man! Did you Aussies have Sindy too? :):) I liked Action Man's velcro head...
ReplyDeleteSuze: Why am I not incredibly surprised? Although I'm totally impressed at your advanced sexuality at 7 years old. Big Jim is intriguing me. Did he have big hands or what? :)
love this post. love you. and not in the creepy way.
ReplyDeleteOh come on now. Put your clothes back on you're fooling no one, missy.
ReplyDeleteSo you've always been a lot of fun then?
ReplyDeleteOh yes, oodles of fun. :) OK not oodles. More like "occasionally". Haha.
ReplyDeleteYou know, as a matter of fact, my sister's boobs look EXACTLY like mine only they're natural AND perky even though she's 52 AND she's had three kids! Now can you see why we should all hate her? To be fair, she got the boobs and I got the brains ... so I was able to get a job that paid well enough to buy boobs.
ReplyDeleteHey whatever works! In my teens I wanted to be flat-chested. When you're a tomboy who runs around a lot as a teen, it's so unfair. Of course, then I realized they weren't so bad after all.
ReplyDeleteVeg this actually doesn't surprise me at all, its kinda how I pictured you. When did you first fall iin love with airstreams though? I bet it started with your grandparents camper.
ReplyDeleteI think that was exactly it. I just progressed to more elite type campers. But I think the reason I like them is their retro look and that old camper of my grandparents was from the sixties or something. They'd had it a long time and it was well used. I loved that thing!
ReplyDeleteSindy... that cheap hollow-legged whore!
ReplyDeleteDamn right. Vacant, blonde, hollow-legged whore!
ReplyDeleteSo insightful. I knew I liked you for a reason.
ReplyDeleteIt was for the doll orgies, am I correct? :)
ReplyDeleteI liek thje vegetablew assassin! Ever since I saw that airsrtrwam I knew someone pretty cool had to be
ReplyDeletea) Did you just text that while driving again?
ReplyDeleteb) Are you wasted?
c) I am officially going to change my name to Vegetablew. That is AWESOME.
I sfall say yes!
ReplyDelete....okay then....
ReplyDeleteYou're such a great writer!
ReplyDeleteI've been reading through all your posts... haha.
It reminds me of the time I got in trouble in Catholic school for drawing dragons... or "Little Lucifers" as the nuns called them. Anway, definitely following this blog! I would love it if you stopped by mine sometime!
www.vidajuanpablo.blogspot.com
adios!!
Great now you got me thinking about the type of girl I was. Tomboy definitely. Now I enjoy things like dresses and emergency hair appointments.
ReplyDeleteThis was awesome. You were, and still are, one of the cool people I like to hang with.
ReplyDeleteJuan: Little Lucifers! :) I can't imagine I'd have survived five minutes at Catholic school in that case. I grew up as a lone protestant in a very Catholic area. All my friends - well everyone in fact, was Catholic. They all went to catholic school. They had to find very creative ways to be bad. But boy, they managed. Haha! I will check out your blog!
ReplyDeleteSid: There's no law says you can't do both! You can be a tomboy with GREAT hair.
Fancy: Yes, I'm like Regina George in "Mean Girls". Haha. OK no. But thank you. :)