A couple of weeks ago, on a last minute "do or die" type of decision, we decided to take a trip to California to visit some lovely people we know. After an exhaustive 21 hour drive, over a couple of days, we arrived in lovely, sunny Palm Springs, where the roads are calm, the trees are palm, and the air is balm(y). It's not really, it's quite dry being the desert and all.
But you try rhyming three 'alms' buddy.
It was a wonderful few days of enjoying some sunshine, seeing some desert crazy, and having leisurely coffee sessions that lasted all morning, while the palm trees waved most soothingly in the breeze and I got to let my pale, pasty white feet out for the first time this year.
What did you see, Veg? you probably didn't ask, but I'm going to tell you regardless. In photos. Because this is me and that's the way the Veg do.
Ready? Sorry if you saw these on Instagram already.
One of the things I did was a day trip to Joshua Tree National park, that I loved last time I was in the area and was dying to see some more little spiky not-quite-cacti-not-quite-trees again, Mojave style. It's impossible to take a hideous photo at Joshua Tree I think. I dare you to try.
See? Impossible.
I could go on but I won't bore you
Just kidding.
Would it be me without a road pic? It would not.
Anyway, I amused myself wandering around trails like the one above, happily enjoying just being in the desert again. Does wonders for the mind. And my mind needs wonders.
OMG how did I take this picture!
As well as Joshua Tree, I spent a day out at the Salton Sea. People told me to expect it to smell nasty, but it wasn't that bad. I mean it had a whiff about it, but I think I was lucky with the wind that day...
It was pretty, look!
The highlight of my trip though, was Salvation Mountain. Some hippy gentleman, who really loves Jesus, made Salvation Mountain out of desert and paint and adobe and turned it into a big old colour assault on the senses. I loved it! I mean I'm the least religious person on Earth probably, if there was a scale for these things, but it was just so cool to see. Like living inside the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" only....you know...with Jesus.
Look!
Let me get closer!
This place was MENTAL. In a good way. Mostly.
Really? NEVER? Need I mention Donald Trump?
Old trucks all painted up with religious stuff
No idea what "epent" is either. :)
That truck looks like it might have been around the same time Jesus was.
So much colour. And stuff. Awesome.
It took him years to build
Follow the yellow brick road
He incorporated branches, mud, straw, and paint
And glass panels
Love is all you need
People donate paint to the project for touch ups. They made features out of the cans
Crazy huh?
If you're ever out in that area, go see it, it's amazing. Near Mecca, 30 miles or so north of Calexico.
You DON'T have a boot tree? You DON'T eat souls?
Anyhoo...
What else did I do? Oh yes, I saw some dude's home where he has made a giant display of WTF in his yard. It's called Robolights and looks fantastic although it was closed the day I went so I just wandered around the block taking pics over his fence. Heh. Look!
Oh hai! Just a guy with a girlgun for an arm. (c)dogimo
This guy (or 'guys' as I think maybe a bunch of artists contribute to it) makes things out of junk. Giant robots in particular. Those were my favourite! Look at them!
This guy was my favourite. Look at his feet!
Wow this is getting long. Suffice to say, I did a lot of stuff, and lazed around a lot drinking coffee and coke and having a generally great time. I won't bore you further with those pics! Because you know I took thousands.
I'll end with a nice view of Mount Shasta in Northern Cali, in the side view mirror as is traditional on road trips. The mirror shot I mean not Mount Shasta, I mean it can't be everywhere.
We also passed through the self professed State of Jefferson which...if you don't know about it, google it because I'm too lazy to tell you about it. I took a pic.
At 70mph on the Interstate.
There's more to the "state" than a barn, I believe.
And that's about it! I've run out of steam. I'll end with this pretty pic of a rainbow seen on the way out of Palm Springs, early morning.
You're welcome!





























"epent" is what you get after the Republican take the 'r' from repent because they don't want to admit a mistake.
ReplyDeleteI have a Brother-in-law that lived in Palm Desert and we visited Joshua Tree on a trip out there. Also, went to a zoo that offered a walk in the desert.
While at Joshua we walked to the rock with the face (forgot the name) and along the way we spotted all these CDs (trip was years ago) scattered along the trail so I picked up a couple. Some unusual transcendental type music. Strange way to promote artist.
I also enjoy odd attractions. I enjoyed your pictures. These odd things do seem to be everywhere so maybe there are not so odd? Here's an old post with some pics of place in Illinois.
http://afcsoac.blogspot.com/2012/07/odd-metal-off-mother-road.html
Lisle: But a cheap way to get new music! :) I like the odd little low key things you just find in the desert. There's a ton of them. They're even odder by just existing out in the middle of nowhere. I enjoyed that place a lot. Going now to take a look at your link!
ReplyDeletePS Did you mean Skull Rock? (the rock with the face)
Yeah Skull Rock sounds right. BTW the music was not worth keeping. I like a broad range of music but not everything. My guess is somebody thought they could appeal to a large group, ordered too many CDs (all the CDs were the same CD), and thought dropping them off in the desert might be better than the trash. Hey at least blogging doesn't require printing or burning any physical thing to spread the word. Who knows that CD guy might have more followers than me, but my postings are not scattered in a National Park.
ReplyDeleteLisle: Maybe he was just kindly providing coasters for all those picnickers? :) Or....not. Maybe, he was just INSANE.
ReplyDeleteHey VEG! Loved your photos and very funny narrative. You just missed me. Was in JT two weeks ago, and then moved over to the Colorado river. The next best thing to being in JTNP, is to see photos of it.
ReplyDeleteSalvation Mountain is crazy. Talk about obsessed! Were the statues in Slab City? I've never seen them before.
Just one little factoid (because I'm full of useless background info). The Salton Sea is the largest lake (320-ish square miles) in California. Way back in the day, it was dwarfed (and covered) by Lake Cahuilla that was in the same area. It was over 5,500 square kilometers (2,100 square miles) in area. It covered the entire Coachella Valley, and all the way down into Northern Mexico. There are a lot of ancient stone fish traps, petroglyphs, etc, along the base of most of the mountains you passed on the way driving to, and around the Salton Sea. Hope I didn't bore you...
Pat: Oddly, I was just reading about it a few days ago. It's always interested me and it's the first time I've ever gotten down there. I didn't know about the petroglyphs though! It was a fascinating area. Also got caught in a sandstorm, FUN!
ReplyDeleteThe statues were in Palm Springs at this thing called Robolights which is an art project. I just loved the huge robots made out of junk. Made me want to make some of my own. And I just MIGHT. :)
Hope the Colorado River (wherever you were there) was cool?
Do you know if the art project is temporary or permanent?
ReplyDeleteNeedles was the closest town, and the weather was gorgeous.
Pat: I believe it's a permanent thing, it's just not open regular hours always. I believe they light it up sometimes at night too but I didn't see that.
ReplyDeleteOh I've been to Needles (on the way to Havasu one time). I know that area a little bit. Did you find cool stuff?
thanks for that info, I want to go see them.
ReplyDeleteI didn't really search too much this trip. We ate really well, gambled, and just watched the river flow by.
Pat: Sounds perfect! If you go let me know what the inside is like 😃
ReplyDeleteFun! I do so enjoy your travelogues. Are your feet still pasty white?
ReplyDeleteThose painted cars & sculptures are so surreal!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I think my mind needs wonders too. In fact, I'm sure of it.
CaS: OF COURSE THEY ARE. :) I didn't get enough sun on them yet. Usually I burn the damn things, so at least that didn't happen. :)
ReplyDeleteVinny: They so are. It's even weirder to think they're just out there in the desert away from everything. They're amazing to see in person though.
Oh Veg. You have such adventures. I have always been fascinated with the Joshua Tree. I also pretty much dig Hippy Jesus and the amount of work that must have taken to construct Salvation Mountain. And the yard of WTF...cleverly strange? As for the State of Jefferson...how awesome for you to alert me to more sovereign citizens for my domestic terrorist class. They are quite interesting folks. The FBI might be tracking you now since you got so close to them...just kidding. Did you have to pay a toll? Oh wait, they don't believe in taxes. Did you have to use your passport? Wait, they don't believe in licenses and regulations. Wait...is a secret handshake to cross their borders?
ReplyDeleteSorry, my snark has no filter. I do love your journeys. You see so many interesting things and have so much fun and gosh...I am envious. Can I be a part of it? You can stuff me in your suitcase.
Momma: Hey Fargo! Sure, you can stow away in my lurid lime green suitcase, why not! Yes I'm sure the FBI are onto me and my transversing Jefferson ways. It's not like there's a choice seeing as how a) it's NOT a real state and b) the interstate goes through it WITHOUT PERMISSION! Ha. Also, Joshua Trees are the best thing ever. I truly love seeing them. And lovingly stroking them. Maybe...
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize the robots were in someone's yard and I'm now wondering if he's one of the designers on the Trading Spaces reboot. If not watching you should.
ReplyDeleteLittle Ms: Yeah, I think originally they were just a dude in his yard but now I think maybe other artists are involved. There's a LOT of stuff there. It's interesting looking. Would have been more interesting if it had been open and I could get inside. Another time maybe.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the pictures! How much free time do these Salvation Mountain and Robolights people have anyway???? I'm a little jealous I don't have time to cook up things like THAT.
ReplyDelete