Sometimes I'm paying for parking, and the machines in my city only take local currency. I'll stand cursing at the smug little metal jackwagon, which is insolently spitting coins right back at me, then realize I've tried to squeeze in one measly U.S. quarter instead of a Canadian one and it's having a bitchfit. They're barely indistinguishable in appearance and size but the machine? IT ALWAYS KNOWS. And it always happens when I only have the exact change, therefore, I wind up a quarter short and either have to move or use my credit card for a two dollar ticket. Gah. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS, am I right?
I already feel better having ranted about this highly important event.
I just bought a new treadmill and I'm stoked. It's been two - almost three - years since I last ran and I miss it.
I should point out, I hate running. Let me put it into context for you.
Take Tom Jones. Infamous for inducing people's moms everywhere, into a panty-soaking mass of hysteria. Tom's fans love Tom so much they will hurl said gross panties at him on stage, faint all over the place, and defend him to the death with their all-encompassing adoration. If you were to take all that mom-generated passion, put it in a cocktail shaker, shake it up violently, clone it seventeen times, and pour it into a giant cosmic container, you STILL would not have the amount of passion strong enough to equal my passionate hatred for running.
But I do like the way I feel after I run, so I am excited to get back into being a wobbly, shaky, sweaty, sweary mess - albeit one whose jeans fit better! - four times a week. If nothing else I'll get to listen to some new podcasts or music. And maybe it will render me too tired to yell at the assholic dickweeds in their gigantic, tiny-wanger-compensating, pick-up trucks, who keep trying to illegally park in our 'residential only' parking outside the house, and who keep backing into my tiny car like it's not there.
MAYBE...
Hope you all had a good July 4th/Canada Day/weekendy summer thing!
I love to run.
ReplyDeleteI ran for the first time in a few years during a downpour last week.
My knees are almost recovered.
I hate how I now feel after I run.
Interesting that you picked on Tom Jones. I've heard the panties being thrown on stage was started by his agent who paid women (maybe just the first time?) to throw them. I did a post analyzing his woman killer song, Delilah.
ReplyDeletehttp://afcsoac.blogspot.com/2014/03/thinking-of-changing-my-name.html
The intense emotion he sings about the knife and the details I wondered if he was a sex offender.
BTW I hate to sweat and therefore dislike running. Sauntering is my style but damn if I didn't miss Sauntering day again, June 19. I must remember next year.
Scope: Haha! Well it's not the most enjoyable pastime that's for sure. Someone needs to invent something that makes driving while drinking coffee burn all the calories. That would totally be my sport.
ReplyDeleteLisle: I actually love his 'Delilah' and have it on a lounge playlist in the car. It's a pretty murderous song though it's true. But she did flaunt her new lover and laugh in poor Tom's face. And he got stabby. I guess in the sixties or whenever, crimes of passion must've been legal. :)
Ugh. Some day I will get rich enough to have my own gym at home, because I like working out but I HATE other people at the gym. Mostly the dudes you know. -Those ones-. And I have tried to run but my shins always get inflamed and I’m not shelling out big bucks for good running shoes because I hate running, so it’s a 22-kind of situation there. Hrmm.
ReplyDeleteI love my treadmill. It is my baby. I watch movies or TV on my Kindle while I'm on the treadmill. Scope made me a Kindle holder out of Legos so the Kindle won't fall during all my walk-y nonsense. Awwww.
ReplyDeleteELLET: dude,I hear you. I hate gyms also and hate fast walking or running outside and having to avoid pedestrians and traffic. Treadmills are great. Private and you can entertain yourself while you run and sweat your face off without everyone seeing you. :) it's not an expensive treadmill either but you don't need that.
ReplyDeleteCora: I know, you are the treadmill queen! That Scope boy is lovely! I have a little ledge on mine you can stand a phone or mp3 player or tablet on. I like to listen to podcasts while I'm running or a good playlist on my old iPod. One must be entertained, no? :)
Running, yay. Last month I did a 6:20 mile, which was great for me. One painter I know says he read an article about reasearch that it increases brain synapse activity. Maybe it's the body's way of saying 'WTF, be smarter so you don't have to run from whatever animal you just now pissed off!'
ReplyDeleteHey there Tex! Where the devil are you? Good for you on the 6 miles, nice going! I've had to reign myself in a bit due to a recovering knee injury, I'm terrified of pushing it too far and being back to square one, so I'm limited to a half hour a day at the moment. Don't want all my muscles going into shock. I also agree my body probably thinks I'm escaping some sort of athletic gazelle or something. It's all "Stop this crap and feed me some pizza." :)
ReplyDeleteSo, do you like to run?
ReplyDeleteI just never got the Tom Jones thing. My MIL swoons at the mention of his name. She talks about when she had a front row seat at one of his concerts decades ago. I asked her why she is in her eighties and he still looks the same. She started swearing at me in Japanese (I think).
I feel your pain!!! I lived in Belgium for 4 years before the Euro kicked in. The German border was 45' away, Holland 30', Luxembourg 1h30' (but Lux & Belg francs were already interchangeable), France 1h-2h (depending which access), England just a few hours on the train and of course Spain whenever I went home. I had quite a collection of black plastic film containers with coins in them that I would have to remember to take whenever I left the country! I was SO HAPPY with the Euro!!! :p
ReplyDelete