Monday, January 14, 2013

Interlopers

 Monday, January 14th, 2013

Well helloooooooooooo.

Did I scare you?  Because I hope so!  Happy new year. What's that?  Yes, I'm still here, lurking furtively and sometimes wearing pants.  I hope you are all well during my hiatus, I'd hate to think you were floundering in the murky depths of psychosis or something.

Me?  Why thanks for asking.  I'm fine.  Enjoying a glass of wine even though it's rose and I'm generally a red wine girl after years of denouncing wine as a "poncey" drink because I clearly only ever drank wines that were appreciated by the types of people who live under bridges. My sister has introduced me to some wines that actually do NOT double as paint stripper and my palate has been redefined into something more classy. Still, I got the rose from a colleague at work for some stuff I was helping out with, because some people are just that nice and it would be rude not to try it.  And it's pretty tasty!

Other than the wine, I'm okay. Still poor, still "enjoying" the rain (does anyone enjoy rain, I'd like to meet that rare animal), still full of intent to be less lazy and write more. Still talking to myself, but who doesn't?  You should be so well adjusted!  Still cursing at having to get up at six am and go out in the dark and cold to earn money.  Which totally makes me sound like a prostitute (I'm not).

What are you all up to, assuming any of you are still there?  Because whether you're there or not, I'm rejoining my effort to write an essay on every state in the USA, you have been warned.

Also, unsettling news, I may have reconsidered my opinion that the Oxford Comma is an evil grammar interloper and, instead, accepted it into my bosom.  I hate myself a little bit.  But it makes so much sense.  I will tell you this, however.  I will never, intentionally, put ONE space after a period. (edit: I now do this too. I am ashamed)

84 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Happy 2013, I'm so glad you're doing well and enjoying the best life has to offer (wine falls into that category). I'm doing well, lots of fun things planned but not to stop talking to myself (so we have that in common). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the same to YOU! Mmm yes, wine has its merits. I don't normally partake on weekdays (except Friday, all bets are off on Fridays!) but today I don't know. I was tired. I got home and it was THERE. Miss dude, if we stopped talking to ourselves insanity would reign supreme! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Heading out into the dark and cold to earn money does make you sound like a streetwalker.
    A half hearted one leaving the house at 6am mind you....does that make it better???

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I'd be a crappy hooker, if that was the criteria. Dark, cold mornings are no good to me. They're against my whole BEING. I can barely get out there in my giant boots and winter coat, let along scanty clothing and heels. Winter mornings are inhuman and I'm pretty sure there's a law forbidding them if I look hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still here. Glad to see you haven't forgotten us. Yes, there may have been some psychosis being floundered in here... but that's actually par for the course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come on, rose is okay. That rhymes, so it has to be true.

    Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    Also, I drank this. I am not ashamed.

    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/72339101513604211881154.jpg/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meat space really intrudes on our real internet blog lives, doesn't it. I'm barely managing one a month at the moment.

    Nice to have you back, Daywalker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh hey, there you are... I've missed you! I've needed you to be Amy to my Tina, Peggy to my Joan, Veg to my Misfit. I don't know what any of that actually means, but you're funny and smart and I like you and please don't fuck off again, ok? Thanks. Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're baaaaaaaaaaack!!!

    All Hail the Veg! :o)

    Down to business: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    Wine is the drink of the gods... pity a few glasses will put me to sleep! But it's definitely my drink of choice with a meal.

    Rain? What's that? We could use some of it around here. Mind Fedexing a cloud or two my way? Just not on the weekends please, I need to start hiking again to eliminate the holiday excesses... :p

    Looking forward to more Veg! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vinny: Hey, well I expect no less from you really. I mean that as a compliment!

    Libby: I'm coming round to it for sure. I mean that bottle was some Chilean concoction and I approved. Feel free to recommend something tasty though.

    Mel: Dudette! That sounds very saucy. Jose Rose! Damn, I'm going to go looking for that.

    TJ: Damn life and its interruptions. Tell your kids daddy has to go online and be funny, damn it. Anyone would think THEY were your priority! Oh wait...

    Sarah: Haha, I'll be whatever you want. And if I get to wear a sixties dress like the Mad Girls, even better!

    Cris: Well you HAVE to like wine, being in Spain and all. It's the way it is. What kind of part Spaniard would you be if you didn't like wine? A WRONG one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol! Veg I think that's kind of what my dad (the Gringo) asked my mom (the Spaniard) when they met: "What kind of a Spaniard are you that you don't like wine?!?!?!?!". He taught her how to appreciate wine after they got married!

    Wine is the BEST! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bah! I enjoy rain! It's relaxing, puts me to sleep, and in general means I'll not be looked on by the homeowners association for lack of yard maintenance. Also, means the canine doesn't screw around for hours looking for the most applicable spot for her regal deuce. She hates the rain, which means going out at that point is nice and expedient. A treasure, that is...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha it comes to something when the Gringo is doing the educating. :) I was never a wine fan myself till recently now I really enjoy it. Red in particular. White I haven't acquired the taste for except champagne or very dry, good, sparkling white. Yum. The red though? It HUGS THE SOUL, Cris. It hugs the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOM: How IS the beast? She doing okay? Recovering from trying to outrun life? You know, I like rain when I'm inside, don't have to go anywhere and it's dancing on the roof while I'm trying to sleep. All other times. NO NO NO.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm also all about the Red!

    White tends to give a headache after the first glass... except for the sweet apéritif or dessert whites. Yummm!

    Check this out: it's also the Gringo who's know for his paella skills, not the Spaniard!!! Crrrrrrazy!!! :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dude, no way! That is just embarrassing now for your mom. Schooled by a Yank on how to be Spanish! Ha! :) Is she all about burgers and fries and I don't know...making table cloths out of American flags? Tell me she evens the score.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think your thoughts on rain are my thoughts on snow. It's nice and pretty and all... when I don't have to deal with it in any way, shape, or form.

    As for Wonder Hound, she's still the glorious tank dog. While on a walk, you'd never know she had a crippling back injury. I'm really thinking her aversion to tile floors is mostly psychosomatic. She's convinced she can't. It's weird. Her only real problem at the moment is going down stairs since she thinks she can jump down the last 2-3... which ends poorly every time. And she doesn't give a damn. She listens as well as I do, it seems... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's all game to get you to ply her with all your attention and affection so she can go tell her canine buddies that she has you WHIPPED. Ha! :) I'm glad her back's getting better. How're your nerves though? They recovering as well?

    ReplyDelete
  20. lol! Nope, she's not all about the burgers, though like most Spaniards she does love her fries (preferably with a fried egg!).

    It's just that she's always disliked cooking! It's a rare occasion that will see her venturing into the kitchen other than to fix herself a cup of coffee. And coffee? She's all about the instant at home, never makes the "real" stuff like just about every other Spaniard does! :p

    ReplyDelete
  21. So glad to have you back! I, too, am a red wine preferred drinker. Did you know if you ad 7-up to red wine you get rose..oh, wait, that's one of those wine cooler. blek blek. They taste nasty. Perhaps I should not be drinking so much and I could write about something that made sense. Anyhoo!!!Glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh...and all wines go well with cake. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh come on now. Only Brits drink INSTANT COFFEE because someone invented it as a joke and it stuck. No self respecting Spanish person is going to drink NESCAFE for God's sake. I think I might be becoming a coffee snob. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Fargo! Are you spying on me? I was just this damn SECOND reading about your new Harry Potter house! WTF? :) I hope it didn't come with Dobby the house elf. Or maybe I do? I don't know, can he cook? Congrats on retiring from the force while still young and foxy! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, well, well. Look who's back, all full of fancy wines and correct spelling and all that!

    :-)

    And ONE SPACE between a period and the next sentence. Never, my friend. Never.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  26. Not Nascafé, only Marcilla. Which I'm told is actually pretty good!

    I don't drink ANY coffee whatsoever! I hark back to my Irish forebears and only drink tea! (as well as wine, rhum, vodka etc.) :p

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pearl: SEE? Now I know I'm right. Because if you say so I must be. TWO SPACES, PEOPLE! As for correct spellings, I do that! Mostly. Depends directly on the wine to typing ratio. Wine affects fingers you know.

    Cris: Tea?!? You know, I grew up in the UK and I hate tea. People ask what I drink. I drink everything that isn't tea. Coffee. ALL THE WAY. Black and strong and delicious.

    I like iced tea though. SWEET.

    ReplyDelete
  28. "Tea.
    Earl Grey.
    Hot."

    That's what I started with and it's still my favourite. ;o)

    (please tell me you get the quote!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ya know, you really should draw that shit out before you go on about grammatics because do you know how hard it is to google "period", trying to come up with some word-thingies instead of blood-thingies?

    You really should consider losing poor swedish people in translation, which makes them sad and all teary eyed and YOU MADE ME EAT ALL MY CHOCOLATE AT ONCE instead of saving it for tomorrow. Yeah, that's your legacy now. Ruiner of chocolate stash.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hahahaha, well FUCK, if I'd known a stash of perfectly good chocolate was at stake I'd have cleaned up my act a little, Sweden. So what, is this how you spend non working time, destroying your country's supply of chocolate? BECAUSE I APPROVE!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well, that and messing up our house because I create projects. Projects that make bf say "I have no where to sit, in the entire downstairs floor." to which I go "Well, it's a work in progress!" and ignore him. And having projects DEMANDS a steady flow of chocolate, everybody knows that! Except for bf of course. He's instead the ruiner of good times.

    ReplyDelete
  32. yay! I knew I could count on you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  33. MS. ELLET: Well he clearly needs to be educated in "the ways". I mean first thing he needs to know is CHOCOLATE IS INDEED A REQUIREMENT OF PROJECTS. How else does he expect them to be completed? a) all the space must be allocated to projects and b) all the chocolate must FUEL the projects. No?

    Cris: Well, so long as you're not calling me a NERD! Or it's a red shirt for you. Wrong Captain, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Not a red shirt! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

    Personally I've always been fonder of blue shirts...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Surely. I do fear that it's too late for him though. He hasn't been one to learn how to sit, if I may just blatantly call him old. And I may. Because he's not here. MAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cris: What was up with that hideous puce colored piece of SHIRT (ha) Kirk used to wear? That can flatter no human on Earth, surely. I guess they weren't ON Earth though so hey... He got away with it!

    EL: I bet you do it someday. I know the English is calling you. :) So...about ABBA???

    ReplyDelete
  37. Yet another reason to stick with NextGen and DS9 and avoid re-watching TOS! yuck! ;o)

    ABBA? Don't get me started or I'll be singing all night long, well into my sleep!!! :p

    ReplyDelete
  38. I should start a blog about ABBA? You crazy, girl!




    Cough.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Talking of Spain and corny 70s/80s pop music, BACCARA anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Man it's confusing being logged into two different accounts and commenting. Didn't even think about it and was all like "I don't have that profile picture on the Ellet account, wtf".

    Also, I should leave your comment field alone now. But I'm bored and IT'S HARD DAMNIT!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Well no one likes being bored. Plus I'm bored and tired and I DON'T CARE so spam away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. SPAM! No I mean, when I'm actually allowed to spam I always just run out of things to say. Like now.

    I suck.

    ReplyDelete
  43. That's TOTALLY what your boyfriend says! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. And then add a quite sad, low "I wish.." after. MAHAH.

    Also, I just realised that in a few weeks, I'll be doing either the most funnest of the funnay (visiting my friends in stockholm) or, GOING TO A FUNERAL INSTEAD. How's that for a bummer?

    ReplyDelete
  45. One of those things does NOT sound like fun at all. I hope you're in Stockholm! Eating cakes. And that no one dies. AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Well the dying has already occured, it's just a matter of trying to decide what to do. Hundreds of pounds may be lost on that booked hotelroom, train tickets and our awesome 4year celebration, but it's not really up to me. It's bf that's in a pickle because it's his grandma's funeral.

    Life just comes in ones way sometimes. Also, we're planning our wedding AGAIN. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Well that all sounds elaborte and sad. Except the wedding part, obviously, yay for that! But poor M's grandma. Hmmm what to do. I have so many inappropriate stupid suggestions, that I will keep to myself. But SWEDEN HAS POUNDS NOW? :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. No, SEK, but you know, I think ABOUT YOU and translated it for you! Because I'm the considerate type. Not like some others.. *grumbles something about periods*



    ReplyDelete
  49. That is just so considerate. Wow. It's like I almost really believed you had pounds. Actually, truthfully I just thought you all bought stuff with lingonberries and those little keys you need to build IKEA furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I know, I'm like that! That's why you love me.

    Lingon tastes foul and I much prefer strawberries or I should perhaps mention bearberries (that's an actual name in swedish). Also, do you know just HOW MANY of those keys we have at home? We have singles and sets and random pieces and like, I wish we could pay things with them.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Dude, I have more of those little keys than I do furniture. I'm pretty sure you get a couple and they breed...

    ReplyDelete
  52. And then their spawn is like the size in the middle of the dad (6mm) and the mom (8mm) and then it FITS NO SCREWS IN THE WHOLE WORLD.

    Imagine the confusion with the middle aged man trying to disassemble that chest of drawers because his cat got stuck behind the drawers, sweating profusely and swearing. I'd love to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  53. OMG YES! There is always one in there that doesn't fit any thing known to mankind. It's a rogue interloper! It just sits in there and bullies all the other keys. Then you shrug and throw it away. Then two years later you try to disassemble the sofa as it won't fit in the moving truck and YOU HAVE NO KEY. And they don't make them anymore. Then you drink till you fall down.

    ReplyDelete
  54. That's also when you claim your womanly incompetence to disassemble furniture (not dragging to the surface that you actually assembled the asshole those years earlier) and sit around watching your partner doing it. I mean, in those moments I'm not supposed to sweat, I'll stay at glow, thank you very much (this may apply to a roudy lawn too).

    ReplyDelete
  55. Gosh, I wish I was a proper lady like you!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Don't worry honey, you'll get there!

    I mean, you're halfway already with all that wine. Btw, I thought about becoming an alcoholic just to change the whole unemployement thing up a little, got any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  57. That was like a compliment and an insult all in one neat little disguised package! I only drink wine on Fridays (and the other day was just an anomaly OKAY?) Plus I think wine might make me less a lady. I say you take up hard drugs and prostitution. Or roller derby.

    ReplyDelete
  58. It's a skill only for ladies, doll. Also, this whole adding a "darling" or "babe" in the end of a sentence CAN be insulting in itself, I've noticed.

    You don't have to defend your wine drinking there, it'll be our little secret! *wink*

    After having seen what happens to my friend (she's in a roller derby team with all the cool chicks because apparently there's ONLY HOT CHICKS WITH HUGE BOOBS AND FANCY HAIR IN ROLLER DERBY???) I'll stay off the skates. I think a heavy amfetamin addiction will hurt me less. Or I'll just guzzle pear cider like a fat kid inhaling a cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  59. OH WE HAVE COMPROMISE! Pear Cider! Pass that Kopparberg, babe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. It's marvelous! But now I've found an equally good one! I actually have to go downstairs to look at the bottle to remember what it's called, not very alcoholic of me..

    It's called Somersby! English, perhaps I thought, but now, it's swedish in disguise!

    ReplyDelete
  61. And that is now in the notes app in my phone, thank you! Ha! I'll be checking it out. Yes ma'am! On that note, I'm going to bed before this headache kills me. Have a lovely Swedish evening!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Wednesday LOVES the rain. Insanely so. She'll come out of school and squeal "yay, it's raining!" and then I'll say "yeah, but now we have to walk home a whole mile in it--blah", to which she'll say, "woo-hoo! Let's go!"

    Like I said, insanely so.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Welcome back, Veg! And Happy New Year to you, too. I have developed an affinity for Cocoa de Vin. It's divine! Tastes like the liquid in a chocolate covered cherry!
    Don't be such a stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  64. YOU CAN DANCE, YOU CAN JI-HIVE, HAVING THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  65. So happy to see you back! I disappeared too. then kinda came back and am more or less going to come and go as i please for the rest of my life. I want to see some more art! Also, I'm right there with you awake in the morning. I get up at four though, so I don't feel at all sorry for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Ah, you're back! Glad to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Cora: I'm guessing because she doesn't have to see it every day but then I remembered she did grow up in Seattle and that makes me say 'WTF Wednesday!´

    Eva: you are embracing the liqueurs huh! well why not? so long as you're not drinking it while wearing fingerless gloves and two overcoats under a viaduct you should be classy enough! :-)

    Ellet: time to stop drinking now buddy!

    Carissa: 4am? ! ? What crime did you commit to receive such a harsh sentence? good Lord woman.

    Gretchen: well thank you! your gladness won't last long I imagine once I'm spamming your ears/eyes five times a week or whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  68. You're back! I was wondering! Glad to hear you are doing well in the year that is 2013. I too am trying to make a blogging come back while leaving the house at an ungodly hour to make a little cheddar. Love the new artwork and hope to read much more from you in 2013. Hope the mouse situation is on lock down!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Oh this makes me so happy! I'm especially happy you'll always put TWO spaces after a period.
    Also, I don't know of a single prostitute who has ever gone out to turn tricks at 6:00 in the morning. But then, I don't know any prostitutes. Slutty women, yeah, but they're not getting paid.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Jules: CHEDDAR? GIVE TO ME! :) Happy belated new year to YOU!

    Vix: You know what should make you happy? Gin! Or maybe that's just me. Ha. You're right about the prostitutes I think. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  71. You're still cute and I still love your blog. Being a greek girl, might I suggest next time you prepare Greek yogurt and honey that you add absolutely nothing? Because it's the perfect food and there is nothing more delicious. Kbye

    ReplyDelete
  72. HI MRS B!!!! How the hell ARE you? And you're correct about Greek yogurt - I can eat it happily on its own, but I like to add just a small spoonful of honey and well. YUM. I prefer to do it myself than buy it premixed as it's too sweet that way, I just like a HINT. Oh god I want it now, thanks SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Hey! You make your own Greek yogurt! Atta girl. My ancestors would be proud. Im beaming as well, your homemade yogurting makes me want to break a plate and slaughter a goat. I've been good. Whyyyyyyyyyyy is blogging so exhausting! Fuckk!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  74. Hey, lovely! Welcome back it's been forever how are you I am fine thanks for asking!

    What part of the world are you writing from? From the mention of your sister, and working, I'm guessing Caledonia. Canadia waves hello, and says "come back!"

    ReplyDelete
  75. I think you're giving me way too much credit there Mrs. B! Haha. I buy natural Greek yog. and put my own honey in, that's as elaborate as I get! Then I can make it the sweetness I want which is "not very".

    ReplyDelete
  76. Hey there! Long time... I've been gone for quite a while and thought I was coming here to catch up on your brilliance! Only to find that you have been AWOL like me. Anyway, nice seeing your posts and hope you are doing well...

    ReplyDelete
  77. Stop the presses! There is now Greek yoghurt in my fridge again!!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  78. Pat: Hey there Mister! Hope you're still road tripping your ass off. Oh I see you are. God I am jealous. :)

    Cris: EFF YES, Ladyfriend! I have some too. Although right now? It's about the red wine and pizza. I'm not out tonight doing the pizza thing however, I'm home in my pjs by myself doing it and it's GOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  79. lol! I did the pizza thing at lunch. This evening will be PJs and greek yoghurt with honey and herbal tea and something cosey on TV. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  80. I am doing that thing where I have a nice evening of baths and wine and pizza and painting and maybe catching up on "Justified" and basically being a lazy slob. My place is cold though tonight. Maybe the wine will help?

    ReplyDelete
  81. If it's cold you'd better make it glühwein then! (hot spiced wine from the German Christmas markets)
    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  82. You know LAST Christmas (I gave you my heeeeeart! ha!) my sister and I went to the German market here and had mulled wine and it was HORRIBLE. I mean mulled wine is usually a good seasonal tipple but this stuff was just... like the cheapest brandy tossed into he cheapest wine. Neither of us wanted to admit we were hating it as it was expensive and we didn't want to seem uncool. Then we had an inch or so left in the cup and I just couldn't do it. And neither could she. And to this day we laugh about that stupid wine and to this day I can still taste it. UGH. Well what a boring anecdote.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Ugh! It's terrible how the bad stuff will ruin the good stuff for you! :o(

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...