Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Office Demons

Tuesday, April 11th, 2012 - I have ranted about nothing, again.

Well I'm recovered from the pestilence of doom and even the demon cough has dissipated enough for me to not splutter every time I talk so I'm thinking that's a win for me!  Please don't argue.  It does not become you.

Today I'm decidedly mellow despite elements of the universe conspiring to make me feel otherwise, such as the security guard at work, who I fantasize about garrotting (usually when he's standing two feet in front of me yakking for fifteen days straight about some mundane information regarding his insurance company or the vibrations from the clutch pedal of his car - both true stories).  The fact he can manage a clutch is a little difficult for me to wrap my mind around since he had a problem one day twisting the lid off a coffee can which turned out to be the pry off kind, favoured by half wits who twist for ten minutes and wonder why nothing is happening.

Also, it was Nescafe.  Bleuuuuuuuuurgh.

Anyway, I've never met a person so full of monotony as this guy.  And I've met ME!  And I've sat through a movie where two French dudes talk about a violin for two hours, so I know boredom.   I can feel my eyes glaze the second he opens his mouth and I desperately wish there was something sharp nearby to stab myself in the ears with, to make it stop.

Today, as I was entering numbers into a database and cursing quietly to myself like a crotchety old geezer with Tourette's, I had to listen to mainstream top 40 radio.  Is it called top 40 radio these days?  I have no idea.  Nor do I care.  The kids probably call it Mega Dance Supah Fresh Tunes or something equally ridiculous and hideous now.  Anyway, it's non-stop, all day, auto tuned nightmares of songs that all sound exactly the same, where a robot is clearly torturing a small animal.  On rotation.  All. Day.  It was making me quite furious because really, who listens to that shit of their own accord other than brain dead morons with fake tans and big hair (and that's just the dudes). No one else seems to mind it.  Me, I scowl a lot and envision myself walking calmly up to it and smashing the shit out of it with a sledgehammer, before smoothing down my hair and calmly returning to my desk.  It annoys me that in an office environment people force their taste on you just in the name of a little office atmosphere.  It's unnecessary and offensive to my ears, which have better taste than to listen to fucking Rhianna all day.  If I wanted to hear unpleasant sounds that make my toes curl, I'd stick pins in the security guy for five hours and listen to him squeal.

There, I've said my piece.

Gosh I'm cross.

Then I came home and had a lamb style veggie burger and all was suddenly right in my tiny, one room world.  Except those burgers made me produce a noise from my bottom that sounded a lot like Alan Rickman whining.  Sort of haughty and nasal.

You're welcome.

18 comments:

  1. You got your day covered from soup to nuts whatever that means.
    Garrotting is somewhat medieval. Instead slip him the number of that radio station you despise and tell him that they are looking for stories like his. Maybe there is a hidden rapper in him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That veggie burger sounds awesome..

    Also, yes. What the hell of all hells is up with these people that can listen to mainstream radio All. Day. Long. All. Week. Long. And then get pissed when someone throws on a CD. DUDE YOU'RE LISTENING TO THE LEAST INSPIRING MUSIC OF ALL TIME, WITH THE SAME SONGS THAT REPEAT THEMSELVES SIX TO SEVEN TIMES DURING A NORMAL DAY OF WORK AND THEN YOU REPEAT IT THE DAY AFTER.

    Yes. I am painfully aware that you don't know musical pain before you work in a workplace where there's a sound system. You can't even shut it out with your own headphones, you still get to hear "WHAAT ARE WOOOOORDS!" every day. Shoot me.

    /rant

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a person like that at work. He doesn't work security though. He works DIRECTLY with me. It makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the security guard has the hots for you and he's just trying to make conversation while he gets up his courage to ask you out. (That is, if he's never heard the noise you make after eating veggie burgers.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last paragraph.."and all was suddenly right in my tiny, one room world." It truly is a peaceful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A violin, eh? Well I'm working my way through a great book on museum forgery detection, and I'll tell you, the dendrochronology (tree ring matching) against the wordwide sample database against the frontplates of those violins is just as fascinat... ouch.

    You realize that the entire radio carbon timeline is calibrated via tree ring dat... ouch, stop sticking me with that damned pin!

    You can read the book for yourself, author Paul Craddock former materials guy for the British Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know that most people would kill to be able to fart like Alan Rickman whining don't you? I wonder if the ability to do that is inexplicably linked to prolonged Rhianna exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you wanna go out for a beer or something then?

    :-)

    Alan Rickman. :-) Why I oughta...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooohhhhh... I remember back in the day when I worked retail, the irritating piped in music. The incessant amount of Celine Dion really can begin to warp your mind. Who really wants to hear that for hours on end?

    That was years ago. The Autotuned BS of nowadays would make me murderous for sure. I think it's time you got yourself some headphones and blocked out the badness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisle: Trust you to come up with a CREATIVE solution! I might just do it too. I might!

    Wynn: I KNOW! I just constantly have to wonder what people listen to at home? Do they listen to that same crap or do they have an opinion of their own? I don't know. I just feel like it's some kind of torture. People!

    Libby: OMG, I feel for you, lady. I do. How often do YOU think the phrase "I wish to kick you in the nuts with my giant combat boots?" while he's talking?

    Eva: DON'T YOU DARE BLASPHEME SO BADLY, WOMAN! Oh my, he's horrid. I think I just shuddered. See what you did?

    Middle Child: It sort of is, yes! You and I are so serene!

    Eric: Tex. There is something seriously wrong with you. It's quite fascinating. You're a very unique individual and I say that most affectionately, really.

    Mo: Oh Jesus, you might be right. It's all starting to make some kind of warped sense. Plus I always do associate Rhianna with farts so you know...

    Pearl: Haha, BEER YES! Psycho Suzies? We can make it tiki drinks. With UMBRELLAS.

    Mad Lord: I too once worked in retail and we had to play the most god awful abominations in store music. They were atrocious. Those things where they're top hit songs but covered by soundalikes as they wouldn't probably fork out for the real deal. Truly horrible. I feel for you! And me. I feel for us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for that final image. I may not be able to sleep tonight.

    I hate music in shops and offices, especially as it's picked by people who think that they are the masters and mistresses of style and substance and therefore have the right to impose their tastelessness on the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paula has Snookie living in his ass. All the noises that come out of there sound like her screaming, "Let's smush!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Earplugs Veg, earplugs. Sounds like they could be really really needed for your work and so tax deductible.
    Which will come in useful given all the megabucks you're earning.....

    runs for hills

    ReplyDelete
  14. One word: iPod.

    It's the only thing that keeps me from running through a cubicle wall and violating a fax machine in rage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy Shit, I just downloaded the Mega Dance Supah Fresh Tunes compilation CD ... how did you know??

    ReplyDelete
  16. At my job that I've just left, we have to listen to 91.5FM, all the hits and nothing but, from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and today. And you know what? I can tell I'm getting really, really old because I DON'T want to smash the radio too much as I'm starting to like some of this old stuff. Especially the 80's. I don't listen to it at home though but I'm sure there's worse things to listen to. They don't play much in the way of Rhianna, or Katy Perry or LMFAO so I guess I'm sort of winning?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now every time I hear a fart, I'll think of Snape. And vice versa. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh I've missed you being cross. I expect you would be even crosser if Alan Rickman stole your veggie lamb burger and then produced a fanfare of snorts from his bottom. But hey, I wouldn't want you to imagine that, as it might lead to a certain amount of garrotting or, at the very minimum, sounds reminiscent of that time back in '91 when I hired a robot to torture a mouse.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...