Tuesday, February 1, 2011

State’s Evidence: South Carolina

Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 – Late, thirsty, eye strain, itchy nipple

OK, my little dung bunnies, let’s get this state business out of the way nice and early in the week, so we can get on with less educational (!) and much more fun stuff. 

This week, as suggested by the lovely and charmingly accented Aly at Calling People Names, I will teach you all about the sheer awesomeness that makes up the heart of the Southern Eastern Seaboard - South Carolina.

Now I’m pretty willing to admit that I know fuck all about South Carolina apart from what I’ve seen of it while driving through it, en route to Florida, high on the fumes of sweet, sweet caffeine and muttered insanity.   This would consist mainly of the exceedingly classy and tasteful “South of the Border”, which oddly enough isn’t south of any immediate border except the one with North Carolina.  Oh the anticipation of miles and miles of exciting coming attraction signs that build to a crescendo just as you reach the Mecca of the South.  I think I even took a picture of that high class landmark of theirs.  Yep, here it is:

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

I have to admit, it wouldn’t be all that high on my list of shiny theme parks I’d like to visit.  It would, however, be high on my list of rickety, horrible theme parks where you could get some salmonella infused nachos and a confrontation with a rapey predator.  Sorry SOtB. 

The other thing I remember most clearly about South Carolina was the fact that the entire state seemed to be at war with itself.   The highway was stuffed full of billboards for either Jesus or strip clubs, sometimes both on the same board.   Fascinating stuff.   I really mean that.   Insane Jesus love and while you’re loving Jesus, please consider checking out some righteous titties.   Classy South Carolina, classy.    My suggestion is just to go right ahead and combine the fuck out of those things.  A nice big, white church where ladies dance in the nip round a big crucifix, while a crazed dude with an Elvis toupe, yells at parishioners in his shiny suit.

Anyway, what can I tell you about South Carolina that you might be able to impress people at dinner parties with?   Did you know that South Carolina was NOT, in fact, named after the nether regions of a hot chick called Carolina at all, but actually named after a dude named Charles?  King Charles I of England, as a matter of fact.  Why they didn’t just call it South Charles I have no idea.  Maybe old King Charlie liked wearing ladies’ panties?  I don’t know.  I’m guessing.  But I’m also guessing that my guesses are more interesting than the actual story.  So let’s just move on.

South Carolina is also the home of Myrtle Beach, which in turn, is the home of some of the most horrific large-people-in-small-swimwear sightings, seen on the entire east coast.  Honestly, trust me on this.  My retinae still sting and I break out in Gulf War Syndrome type rashes whenever I recall some of the hideous things I’ve seen there.

Interesting to note that South Carolina’s state dance is “THE SHAG”.  Hee.   Shag.  Who’s going to tell them that isn’t actually a DANCE?  And that Jesus most certainly wouldn’t approve?

Also interesting to note – SC’s colonial constitution was written by John Locke.



Really, who even knew it HAD a constitution? 

South Carolina was the first colony to declare independence from Great Britain, in 1776, despite the fact it drinks more tea than any other state.  This is a bit like being a heartless lover – take what you need then leave and never call.  During the Civil War, it also became the first state to secede from the union, in 1860, after being terrified that Abe Lincoln was about to become president and attempt to abolish slavery, leaving no one to bake a decent pie for the chill’un.   A pie drought in South Carolina was unthinkable.  It was a big old hot mess in those days really.  

As we’re keeping track of the religious traits of these states, I’m delighted to inform you that South Carolina has the lowest proportion of non-religious entities we’ve encountered so far – at 6%.  This means that 94% of South Carolinas would eat the entrails of Atheists at the drop of a hat.  Which is probably why I drove through it in a day or so.  Just to be safe.  I mean it was pretty and all, but I need my entrails.

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA
…and burning crosses

Lastly, twice in South Carolina I encountered the following truck that disturbed me so much I had to take a photograph while driving.
KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

Mozzarella Cheese, Food and PAPER PRODUCTS?  By “food” I have a sneaking suspicion they mean “Soylent Green”.   Plus the company’s called “CREMOSA”.  I don’t know about you but I don’t want to eat anything that comes from a company that sounds like it burns corpses while cooking pizza.  Interesting (to me only) fact – a few months later, when I’d all but forgotten about it, I came out of my apartment in Manhattan one morning and saw one of these trucks parked in front of the building.  I just about spattered a tan doughnut into my pants.  They’re following me.

Anyway, there’s your non educational, insulting portrait of South Carolina.   I do realize I didn’t teach you anything AT ALL except for my personal observations, but you know what?  Life’s disappointing, get used to it.

Next week it’s Massachusetts. 


51 comments:

  1. Great post! South Carolina, just as I remember it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you've seen the billboards too, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! I love reading your posts they never fail to make me laugh, think you should do a review on what you know about england next tho :P x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you know, maybe in 46 weeks when I run out of states. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that SC has the smallest percentage of non religious people. That would drive me crazy though for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I don't know if it's the smallest of ALL the states, but it's the smallest SO FAR of the four I've covered. :) I'm pretty sure it'll have some competition from other southern states.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty much South Carolina is inhabited by a religious breed of americanos that love righteous titties and nachos and paper. Not too shabby Veg. I dig your historian skills; who gives a damn with their not "actual facts". These words have been posted on your blog and eternally sent through cyber space, so that makes them facts doesn't it?

    On a side note, I hate it when I get itchy nipples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, that is one high class landmark... I reckon I will write to our local municipality and ask for one similar. Regarding King Charles, your guesswork is amazing - I'm sure I will find something similar written in a history book somewhere, but would probably fall asleep reading it so much better to go with the stuff you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting observations, especially about the billboards. Georgia is all crazy like that too. Bible thumpers all over the place, lots of dry counties (no alcohol) and totally naked strip joints. ...Oh, and that Cremosa truck is giving me the heebie jeebies as well.

    http://rantersbox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. After you've done the other 46 states and England, please do Australia.

    I like your idea for a church with pole dancers - why hasn't it been done yet?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. J: You know, that's a good point. I MAKE THEM REAL. I have the power of a small, pseudo Demi-God. :) And no, itchy nipples are a no no.

    SD&BS: Agreed. It's best to do just that. Just because they're not in TRADITIONAL history books maybe, doesn't mean they weren't (perhaps) true, right? Righ.

    Empress: Yes the billboards are particularly baffling to me. How does all that religion and all that nudity and debauchery connect in one place? And do I really want to know?

    Sarah: Veg Does Australia has a nice, vaguely pornographic ring to it. Maybe I will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think you can write about the Carolinas without including pictures of NASCAR Jackets.

    Authorities are on their way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm saving them for Arkansas. Just like I'm saving truck testicles for Florida. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha, this was great. You even taught me a few things. :) A few notes, though, if I may:

    I don't actually know anyone that's been to South of the Border (unless we're talking about *my* South of the Border, and even then the word "know" is relative...).

    It completely makes sense to me that my home state would be named after a King that possibly wore women's underwear.

    The Shag - horizontal, vertical... either way someone's getting jerked around and there's a'hootin and a'hollerin going on. Same difference.

    John Locke #2 is scary as fuck.

    If you want a decent beach (fuck Myrtle with their vacationing high school seniors and screen printing cartoon characters on t-shirts)you should check out Folly, Edisto, or Isle of Palms...all excellent. There will still be large-people-in-small-swimwear, but it won't be as crowded. :)

    South Carolina would *like* you to believe that 94% of it is religous. But the truth is, 90% is actually made up of religious hypocrites (billboards...obviously).

    Not to mention that it gets a little confusing because: A)they drink beer at church and drink beer at a strip club, B) they put money in the offering plate at chuch and put money in an offering thong at a strip club (both profits are probably going toward the same goal...more billboards), and C) they eat food at church and there are afternoon buffets at strip clubs. See? Can you really blame them?

    So, in conclusion, the real Mecca of the South...is in my pants. Praise Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like someone went to South Carolina for Spring Break and is disgruntled at her lack of shagging.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this game. Also I feel a little warmer just reading about that less magnificent of the Carolinas.

    You've got a little salmonella on your chin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Back on the pants again? In that case nobody’ll have any truck with you.

    The high class landmark looks decidedly phallic to me – but so do most things.

    And re Charlie Boy: Didn’t he have a neck separation job carried out by Oliver’s army – in the days before liposuction of course….?

    Thanks for another informative post with just enough profanity to feed my desire.

    All the best, Boonie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I spit my coffee out when I read righteous titties. And it was the good kind, too. You owe me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "I just about spattered a tan doughnut into my pants"... now that shit is funny. I may have to "borrow" that, with your permission of course...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ms. OWO: Haha, I heard there are some beautiful beaches down there but Myrtle's the one everyone from out of state knows about and the only one I have any experience of. :) Beer at church you say? Well you have to get those hypocrites in somehow I suppose. And aren't large proportions of "religious" people hypocritical anyway, so long as they attend church on Sunday, they think they're religious? Not just in SC, I mean everywhere. In conclusion, your last sentence made me guffaw. Al's pants: Mecca - The 51st State.

    Ed: Sadly no. No spring break there or shagging. Woe is me. :)

    Elly: Just wait till the other Carolina's turn, lady. Then we'll see. :)

    Boonie: Neck Separation is a lovely way to put it. Sadly my history with British royalty isn't that great, so who knows? Didn't everyone neck separate everyone in those days. What would Antoine Dodson make of it? Errybody's gittin' decapitated aroun' here.

    Sky Muffin: Well all titties are righteous, sweetums. Without them we'd be all out of whack, misjudge gravity and topple over. Duh.

    Eman: You can have it. "That shit is funny" made me laugh. I see what you did there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. that sombrero is a little too penis-y for my liking...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Uh huh. I'm starting to worry about you. Put down the liquor.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hahaha
    This is my favorite State post so far!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know, with a statement like that, you should really be from NORTH Carolina. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. "Spattered a tan doughnut into my pants..." Girl, if that line doesn't earn you a Pulitzer, you've been robbed!
    PS- I lived in Boston for almost a decade. PLEASE make fun of the accent. PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is apparently the only way I have to contact you, so I'm choosing to respond to a blog comment from last week here...

    You said, "I wonder if those butt wobbling machines your parents have can be hacked to become some sort of weird sexy vibrating machine? :)"

    I say, Let's jimmy-rig it, see if it works well, and then put them into production and make billions! We'll split the profits 50%! You in?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Have you been to all 50 states? Did I miss that?

    Also, I think Cremosa is something sexual. Either that, or my boyfriend offered me cheese and paper products last night.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I caint wait fer yer post on Massa-chew-sus.

    Haha, the image of boobs in church reminds me of a great bit from the film 'Amazon Women on the Moon'.
    Well, that and the one time that me and Trina S... nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Robin: Ha, yes that needs a prize. Booby prize maybe. :) And duh. The accent. OF COURSE. Aftah I pahk the cah.

    Erica: Oh lord yes, I am so so in. We're going to be billionaires!

    Martini: I have not been to even half of the 50 states (almost though) but I still consider myself an authority on almost anything. Also if your b'friend suggested Cremosa I'd run. Fast.

    Eric: TEX. MORE INFO NEEDED. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mozarella *and* Paper Products?

    That is a terrifying combination. Especially if you've ever smelt paper being made.

    I'll never eat or write on anything made by Mr Cremosa.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have a feeling they MIGHT just supply pizza products, but hell I don't know. It just sounds so....WRONG! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Do those smiling faces they refer to have more than 3 teeth? And are they smiling because they are gonna get stabby with us non religious folks?

    ReplyDelete
  33. You know what, dude? Yes. Yes they are. It suddenly all makes sense. Damn...

    ReplyDelete
  34. i heard cremosa is aptly named after the product king charlie made in the ladies panties.

    i gag myself. but i blame you. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is disgusting. And just fascinatingly delightful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. 1. Why are we learning stuff about states?
    2. I just went back to read West Virgina and regret to inform you of a missed fact - i got borned there. My daddy always said we's hill williams and not like them there hillbillies.
    3. Please come to Ohio for some field research before you tackle it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Edie: 1. No idea. Why not?
    2. I am so sorry. It should've been fact number one.
    5. Now there's an offer it's hard to refuse. Does this mean I can't make Cleveland jokes now, because I'd planned on it...

    ReplyDelete
  38. you are a fount of useful information. i doff my hat at you. *doff*

    ReplyDelete
  39. Now I want to draw portraits of kings in frilly panties.

    ReplyDelete
  40. MLB: I know I am. I teach only the best things. :)

    Magmin: Don't let me stop you. And once you've done it, post them please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Charlie named it Carolina which comes from Carolus, which in turn is Latin for Charles. He was just showing off! Effing Royalty. They're all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, my education continues.

    By the way, thanks for the picture of John Locke, no not the one who wrote the constitution.

    I have a thing for bald men with gravelly voices. Patrick Stewart isn't safe around me either, which is probably why his lawyers and I exchange so much correspondence.

    ReplyDelete
  43. You know, I am honestly on the edge of my seat in anticipation over what you'll be teaching us about the states I know and love/tolerate, like Washington, New York, Hawaii, California and Illinois. Whatcha got for me, Veg?

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think it's uber important that you be informed that today Feb 5th is National Nutella Day.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am, as always, educated beyond expectation by my visit. I can now hold my head up and high and say that I know everything there is to know about this little place.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wylye: I read that on Wiki. I snored though and thought the panties explanation was so much more fun. :)

    Roses: You freak. However it takes all sorts. I never got the Patrick Stewart thing. So many ladies want to do the dirty with that man.

    Cora: Oh stay tuned. Oh yes. They will come. It will not be pretty.

    GK: Thanks man. Although I have to disappoint you horrendously by informing you that I hate Nutella. Seriously. Who makes a spread from nuts and substandard cocoa products? They do. Chocolate spreads have never done it for me either. I don't know, maybe I'm odd. Shut up. :)

    Madame: I am going to go ahead and believe there was absolutely no sarcasm involved in that comment AT ALL. I'm right aren't I?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hey, loser face. When you say that you're going to get something out of the way so you can do the fun stuff, it's generally expected that you're going to follow this post up with more fun reading material for me. Not go off boozing and philandering and totally blowing off your writing obligations. Pull it together, wildcat.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh, and thanks for the birthday wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Holy fuck. Thanks MOM. I'll get right on that. Actually I've had my mojo on, dusted it off and been painting my ass off for a week. No time for blogging. But now you're nagging me, jeeze. Maybe I'll post some trash tomorrow or something. Be careful what you wish for Muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  50. You are so smart. You just know how to explain things.

    ReplyDelete
  51. That's right! It's my gigantic brain full of facts and intelligence. That must be it. Yep. :)

    ReplyDelete

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...