Friday, July 2, 2010

More Stuff You Didn't Need To Know

Friday, July 2nd, 2010, hot, blustery afternoon, at home on a long weekend

Check me out, writing actual entries on Fridays, that don't involve memes!

Ha, fooled you. Today is totally going to be a meme. I always complain about the damn things yet I always do them regardless, because obviously, there is nothing I enjoy more than talking about myself ad nauseum. Or complaining. Or throwing darts at pictures of Tom Cruise's head.

This one was bestowed on me by the evil, but quite delightful Muummmmeeeeee who knows the world cannot possibly survive without knowing what makes me tick.

Where were you five years ago?

I was living in New York City, working in advertising and planning an exciting trip to the Keys with my sister. I'd wanted to go to Key West since I was about 12 years old and finally I was stoked to be doing it! So we flew down to Fort Lauderdale and drove down to the middle Keys, where we were staying a night before moving on to Key West the following day. It was beautiful and tranquil and the small hotel we stayed in that night had everything; a salt water pool, hammocks, cocktails...and a big, fucking hurricane called Rita. So the next morning instead of heading to Key West as planned, we got our asses evacuated and had to drive maniacally around Florida trying to outrun it, while improvising accommodation, dodging alligators and drowning our sorrows in extreme amounts of beer, pizza and my sister's legendary farts. Good times.

I still haven't been to Key West.

Where would you like to be five years from now?

In my Airstream, travelling around, free as a bird. Maybe we'd finally make it to Key West, who knows? Naturally, I'd have a totally mobile job, my Airstream would be custom fitted for all my needs (including a cocktail bar to match its retro decor) and I'd stay only in the most beautiful of spots, moving on when I needed a change. I'll be mysterious and admirable and adventurous, like that Dos Equis dude who claims to be "the most interesting man in the world", only unlike that guy, I'd look less like "the most dishevelled homeless guy in the world with 'the diabeetus'".
What's on your list to do today?
Let me see. I have to finish this damn meme. I then have to eat this grilled cheese sandwich, let some guy in to fix the dishwasher because I managed to slaughter its will to live, then I have to finish painting a Cylon (yes, another one!) for a friend of mine, package up some small paintings ready to ship to some other people and finish perfecting John Locke's nose, for my good buddy Red. Then I am making a big-assed batch of frozen margaritas for my joint Canada Day/4th of July party tomorrow, (can 2 people and a stuffed cow constitute a "party"?) and I might do some yoga.
What five snacks do you enjoy?

Well I have to say I enjoy potato chips a lot. The more bizarre the flavour, the better too. You're just never going to catch me buying Salt and Vinegar or Cheese and Onion flavour. This is where the UK outdoes the whole rest of the world. It has the best chips/crisps on Earth. With the best flavours. Every time I go over there I bring a suitcase just for fancy flavoured chips. Apart from chips I like red grapes. And devilled eggs. And chocolate dipped strawberries. And cupcakes. And I like cucumber drizzled in black pepper, salt and vinegar. And sweet pickles. And...oh wait, you said five? Well you got eight, because I provide value, baby. Value.

What would you do if you were a billionaire?

Probably the same answer as the five years from now thing. Airstream, travel, cocktail bar, hammock. Only maybe without the mobile job - I'd just paint and craft full time and sell those for fun. Wouldn't that be nice? And I'd pay off my debts and my family's mortgages and get a better car or truck to pull my Airstream and I would be almost worry free. People tell you money can't buy you happiness, but they can pucker up and kiss my pattoot. Money might not buy you happiness but I just bet it comes pretty damn close.

I'm not going to nominate anyone for this meme, but feel free to take it and abuse the shit out of it with your own answers. In fact, I encourage it. Have a happy fourth of July, America. And a perfectly adequate weekend to the rest of you too. Ha.

40 comments:

  1. I want to go to Key West, too. We hope to go this fall or next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. I call bullshit on the money doesn't buy you happiness. It buys you freedom and that is happiness.

    And I say in honor of Canada and the US, this weekend, you MAKE chocolate covered bacon. WE deserve that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I hope you have better luck with it. :) At least you're not dumb enough to do in the middle of hurricane season like we were. But still. So disappointing! The part of the Keys we did see was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Jules, I love the way you think. One day you just know I'm going to attempt it. I rarely have bacon, but I love it and I think I need to do it for MANKIND. And yeah, money certainly brings you CLOSER to happiness let's say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad all my dormie neighbors are out already, because it might have been a little awkward if they had asked me what I was in here giggling about and I had answered, "Diabeetus."

    And I am so going crisp shopping now. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, Walkers Sensations. That's all I'm saying. They have these mature cheese and chutney flavoured things and sweet onion and balsamic vinegar and all sorts of yumminess. Awesome. Of course, Walkers Prawn Cocktail are my long time, all time fave. Just experiment. You'll thank me. (just don't get the diabeetus!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm, let's see, if time = money, and free time = happy then yes,
    money can in fact buy happiness.

    I'm going to go out and buy some tonight. Uh, of the specific liquid variety called 'libations', and the more vague happy with absolutely no debt, living on the positive asset side.

    Have a perfectly adequate weekend 149.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tex, you have a MORE than adequate weekend, buddy. :) I'm still working on your Airstream. I have not forgotten. I'm on a backlog currently. No wonder I need margaritas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait, you aren't going to tell us what kind of crisps they have across the pond???
    Crisp tease!!!
    (Get it? Crisp tease... strip tease... Ugh. Not all that funny after all.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Attention: Robin has started drinking early! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm, Walkers Crisps....do you get to try the Cajun Squirrel last year? This year they have 15 new trial flavours in honour of the World Cup...check out http://www.walkers.co.uk/flavourcup/
    Scottish haggis? Irish Stew?

    Happy belated Canada Day and early 4th July!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want the haggis flavour BAD. I loved haggis sandwiches as a kid. With ketchup because I am that classy. Now I have to get my mum to send me some. Thanks man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All was well until the chocolate covered bacon. Even a Canadian shouldn't eat that baby!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't really appreciate crisps, and now I feel bad because I didn't realise we had the best ones. Did you know Walkers brought out crisps to represent loads of the countries competing in the World Cup? Stuff like Australian Kangaroo flavour and . . . I can't remember the others, that was my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha I already sent some blogger some of the Walkers Haggis Crisps, they don't taste like haggis.

    If you become a billionaire please buy Falkirk FC and make them the greatest team ever. They'll only cost £12.75

    ReplyDelete
  16. Living in a trailer is your life goal?

    Way to aim high.

    Ha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haggis? Jeezus. That's hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Umm...why didn't you mentioned chocolate covered chips.

    Dreich - they really make Haggis Crisps - go god, that sucks.

    Veg, money doesn't buy happiness. It really is about finding your true inner zen that enlightens your soul and guides you to the ray of light.

    .....had a couple of beers and am wondering if you buy this shit?....I want to win lotto. Period. The End.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Damn it woman, I was just getting over my craving for British crisps and chocolate! And i'm not going back for at least a year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sarah: Come on. It sounds like heaven. Two awesome things in ONE SNACK? Of course, you can only eat it once a year or you'll die but whatever.

    P: How can you be Scottish and not like crisps? What's wrong with you woman? Next you won't like Irn Bru then I have to deduce that you are missing a chromosome.

    Dreich: They don't? How disappointing. And if I become a billionaire I will not be buying football teams. No.

    Ed: Dude, yes. Tell me you're not surprised.

    BD: No it tastes fantastic. Or did till I was old enough to know what it was. It's honestly delicious.

    Little Ms. B: It's ok man, I figured for a split second you'd had some sort of brain disorder but realized that phew! You were just being an ass. A drunken ass. And thank God for that.

    Heather: Oops, sorry about that. If it's any consolation, I am craving it myself. I might have to go buy a Mars Bar right now. I had one last week and suddenly they're all I can think about.

    ReplyDelete
  21. mwhahah - I'm going to steal this meme and do it on my own blog! THAT will teach you to do memes!

    Actually, I don't mind memes. I find them to be useful for Friday and Saturdays, when you get less readers in general. (Or at least, I traditionally get less people on the weekends.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dude you are an enigma, wrapped inside a riddle, wrapped inside an airstream. And OMG you have a thing for Devilled eggs! I feel less of a 70s food loving freak now. Though I have to ask are you a curry, cayenne or paprika kinda gal, cause I don't know if I can keep reading if you are one of those weird cayenne freaks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. http://foodstufffinds.blogspot.com/2010/06/scottish-haggis-flavour-walkers-crisps.html

    They taste nice though

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I was a billionaire I would buy one of all your paintings and an Airstream for us each! That traveling sounds so lovely. Road trips FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad you like eating grilled cheese sandwiches (not on your list, but I'm eagle eyed and spot these things) I like them too.

    Being the idiot that I am, I only found out what a devilled eggwas a few days ago. I'm 31. Thats sad.

    And they look fucking horrible as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Steve: Memes are made for weekends. They're a fine way to talk crap about yourself and not annoy people TOO much. :) Plus I secretly like reading other people's memes. So I say DO THAT SHIT.

    Rusty: Devilled eggs are the bomb. Do the kids even say "the bomb" anymore? I have officially become my parents. As for the paprika/cayenne/curry question, for devilled eggs I go with the paprika. Cayenne is just too hot and curry is ok but that's a whole other flavour. Did I pass?

    Dreich: Mmmm I bet they do. YUM! I must get some of these.

    Soda: Haha, if I was a billionaire I'd GIVE you free paintings. YAY!

    Dan: I love grilled cheese. It's the best snack on EARTH. Especially with a little worcestershire sauce, salad cream (Heinz of course) and some prawn cocktail crisps. Trust me on this. Also? Devilled Eggs are FANTASTIC! Although I agree, they do look kind of nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You make me laugh so i have been telling people about you here: http://www.rukakuusamo.com/notesfromlapland/2010/07/10-blogs-you-should-be-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Phew, you passed the crucial devilled egg test. I'm pretty sure that every time someone puts cayenne in their eggs another koala gets the clap and I really didn't want to have to blame you for our extra moisty marsupials.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am completely and hopelessly addicted to potato chips :( And now thanks to you I want chocolate dipped strawberries! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Heather: You are quite delightfully crazy, therefore, thank you!!! I appreciate the shout out and the fact you are demented enough to come back. I mean, the fact you have GOOD TASTE. That's it.

    Rusty: Yes, please continue looking out for the small, stout marsupials of Oceania. Or is it Australasia? People seem to start wars over such questions. I was always taught the latter. But hell, what do I know? (Clearly not much)

    Cass: YAY! If you're not addicted to chips you're missing something important. I mean they are just THAT GOOD. And thanks to your comment I now want the chocolate strawberries too. See, I made that YOUR fault.

    ReplyDelete
  31. can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Red: Hahaha! You dirty girl. You lust after the Locke.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Money can absolutely buy happiness. It doesn't always, but it sure can. I know I'd be plenty happy with a bajillion dollars.

    Also, your UK crisp flavours are just flipping weird. I don't even like our flavors! If it's not cheese flavored or plain with a bucket of salt, I'm not interested. I can't wrap my head around prawn flavoured crisps.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just thought you should be aware I am now your 250th follower. Congrats on the milestone. I look forward to more stories of you defending your holes.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jen: It absolutely can, you are right. For the most part anyway. And you unadventurous philostine! :) Who doesn't like weird chip flavours? Well I guess I know the answer to that now. The prawn cocktail are my favourites since I was a kid. They don't taste at all like prawns but they're delicious, regardless. I can't imagine anyone actually choosing to buy plain salted chips.

    Johnson: 250 eh! Thank you! I never remember to pay attention to these things. I'm still sure I have 26 followers which I seemed to have for the longest time. Does 250 mean I get to play with the cool kids? Ha. I'm sure I'll lose one soon and bump me back to earth. :) Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  36. ohmygod. I actually know this place here in Denver that has chocolate covered bacon. I shit you not, and chocolate covered twinkies. it's the rocky mountain chocolate factory, in case you were wondering. you're hilarious, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Turkey: Don't! DO NOT! Do not make me detour to Denver to try that awful yet awesome sounding snack. :) Although you can keep the Twinkies. I despise Twinkies. They are just like sugary foam with fake cream. Ick. Little Debbie can kick Hostess's ass. It's true! :) And hi!

    ReplyDelete
  38. And John Locke's nose turned out great!!! Can you paint the smoke monster?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Well thank you ma'am. You know, I've thought about it. I might need drugs though...

    ReplyDelete
  40. That guy is so funny! Like Lou Holtz!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...