Friday, October 2, 2009

Meme Me Baby

Hola fine people of blogland. Whoa, I have been MIA this week, huh? I’ve been busy as a fucking fuck the past week with a big project that hurt my head. And it wasn't even for money! It was for kicks! Busy as a little busy bee. Busy as a wall covered in neon-coloured paisley wallpaper. And also, on top of this, I’ve been busy getting some paintings finished and ready to ship to an actual gallery to display, because I am now famous in my own HEAD. Hell, you have to start somewhere, right? I’m also thinking about being pretentious full-time. You may call me “Claude” (don’t call me Claude).

So for now, let me give you a meme. It is Friday after all. I’ve told you all – Friday is for memes. Just like Thanksgiving is for turkey and Don Imus is for punching in the balls.

I got this one from the divine S.E. Sward whose name makes her sound like some awesomely accomplished novelist who writes about pirates on the high seas and swarthy men in billowy white shirts and leggings who go around fighting other similarly clad dudes with bandanas on their heads and who say things like “AAAAAARRR. Them be thine concubines I surmise! I will now duel to the death with you for the hands of thine wenches of ill repute!”

Something like that…

So, yes. The meme. As usual, feel free to do it yourself. I ain’t taggin’!

1. Where is your phone?
Two feet from me on the desk. It doesn’t work very well but I don’t care enough to think about upgrading it in any way.

2. Your hair?
Independent. Does its own sweet thing in its own sweet time. Sort of like the rest of me.

3. Your mother?
Great as the obnoxious answer to questions you don’t want to answer. “What were you doing last night?” “Yo’ mama.”

4. Your father?
In the 1970s he looked a lot like Fat Elvis. You know, if Fat Elvis chain-smoked, liked terry cloth shirts and enjoyed drinking gin a little too much. He used to make homemade potato chips and write short stories. Not at the same time. Not usually.

5. Your favorite food?
I’m a big fan of good garlicy Italian vegetarian food. I also like good cheese. None of that processed, plastic crap. I’m not a meat eater.

6. Your dream last night?
I worked most of the night. And I painted for an hour or so. I didn’t actually sleep till 9 am this morning since I have nowhere to be today, but I dreamt that I went to San Francisco for a conference about interior design and it was hosted by that jackass Johnny Knoxville (haha!) only his name was “James”. He liked pink shirts. Then I woke up and it was noon.

7. Your favorite drink?
Diet Pepsi is my beverage of choice. I believe it is favoured by royalty and cool people everywhere. I also enjoy a nice, icy Irn Bru. When I’m in Canada Irn Bru is readily available. When I’m in the States, it isn’t. I could become a famous Irn Bru smuggler and smuggle it over the border and be like… the North Dakota Queen of Irn Bru. I'd be the northern States Irn Bru dealer. Irn Bru also makes fabulous floats of the ice cream variety.

You know, unlike those other floats.

8. Your dream/goal?
To never live in a house stuck in one place forever. Or at least not until I find that perfect place. Oh, and to find a way to eat cake every day without gaining any weight. And to live somewhere where it never gets cold. And to sleep more than four hours a night. I used to be great at sleeping. Now I have to threaten myself to withhold privileges if I don’t get some sleep.

9. What room are you in?
I’m in the home office/my paint studio. OK, that was a bit grand of me. It’s a room with the computer in it and my easel.

10. Your hobby?
I guess painting has become my number one hobby. Painting, swimming and cake. And jewelry making. And blogging. And baking. And not sleeping.

11. Your fear?
Dissipating daily. I sometimes fear that I’ll wake up one day and find that I like Lady Gaga and have to commit myself.

12. Where do you want to be in six years?
On the road. Working from home all the time and not splitting my time between North Dakota and Manitoba or waiting in lines at borders.

13. Where were you last night?
On this very seat, being busy. And nursing a headache that had been lingering for about four days on and off. I also took a couple of hours off to watch some old “Larry Sanders Show” episodes.

14. Something you aren't?
Latina. Purple. Extroverted. Miserable. A fan of winter. Right-handed.

15. Muffins?
Safeway gourmet muffins from their bakery. They have a cranberry and lemon one that is to die for, but horribly hard to find. Usually though, I prefer cupcakes or pastries to muffins. Or pizza.

16. Wish list item?
I don’t really want much. I don’t have many belongings anymore and I’ve found that I’m fine with that. I want fulfillment. I understand myself more every day. I’m a lot more open than I used to be. A lot more positive.

Ah screw it, I want an Airstream and a big lottery win. :)

17. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Scotland. Where it’s light till 11pm in the summer and dark by 3:30 pm in the winter. Where you’re never far from the sea. Where it rains a lot but will always be home. Where I learned to tell people to fuck off in Scots Gaelic.

18. Last thing you did?
Ate some banana and pineapple bread I baked yesterday. It was supposed to be banana bread but I ran out of bananas and supplemented with pineapple. It worked. Yum.

19. What are you wearing?
Some weird jeans I bought in Fargo that fall off if I don’t wear a belt.

20. Your TV?
By the bed. I like to watch it to unwind every night before I fall asleep. You know, assuming I sleep.

21. Your friends?
My friends are like Nutella, they are completely nutty. And like Nutella, they are spread all over the place. But less sticky. Than Nutella…

22. Your life?
Complicated yet fulfilling. And tranquil so long as my Diet Pepsi supplies don’t dry up.

23. Your mood?
Generally mellow and even. I went through a phase of being more uptight and stressed but I’ve learned to appreciate things and I find I’m quite happy and competent and stronger than I used to be.

24. Missing someone?
I miss my cat.

25. Vehicle?
Temperamental yet adorable, even that time I locked the keys in the ignition and had to walk home to get the spares.

26. Something you're not wearing?
Lederhosen. Not today. Lederhosen are for Wednesdays.

27. Your favorite store?
Target and Ikea. If you don’t love Target or Ikea you’ve had a brain injury of some sort which rendered your taste, null and void.

28. Your favorite color?
I’d have to go with that colour of blue the sky is on a late afternoon in July.

29. Last time you laughed?
I noticed some guy’s name on a list I was perusing earlier and chuckled because his name was Dick Boggler. That is just awesome.

30. Last time you cried?
I actually remember this. I had PMS a few weeks ago and was feeling belligerent and there’s this door handle in my apartment I am always smashing my elbow off of, so I went to great pains to thwart that stupid door handle, and I was so busy avoiding bumping into it and being smug, that I stubbed my toe on the bottom of the door instead. And it hurt. And it bled. My toe, that is, not the door. If the door bled it would be time to move.

31. Your best friend?
Knowledgeable, caring, smart and makes mean borscht.

32. One place that you go over and over?
Home. That’s why it’s home.

33. One person who emails you regularly?
Julia. With her wicked smarts and sassiness.

34. Favorite place to eat?
If we’re talking basic chain type junk food then I’d say when I’m in the U.S. I like me the occasional white trash hoe down at Ihop because in all seriousness, Ihop make the best omelettes known to mankind. When I’m in Canada I like me some equally white trash hoe down at the Salisbury House who have the best sweet potato fries and spicy dip, ever. If we’re talking eating out in general, Mexican restaurants are hard to beat. I just love Mexican food. North Dakota is oddly rife with Mexican restaurants and tasty margaritas. It doesn’t seem right somehow… Finding one in Manitoba though is a lot harder.

52 comments:

  1. I want to learn how to say fuck off in Scots Gaelic. Could come in handy with my boss. She isn't Gaelic for sure.

    And my nic name is Nutella to some of my friends....

    Great blog. I must do it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be your contact for North Dakota smuggling. I'm still new enough here to keep a low profile.

    And I'm with you on the Mexican places here... it kind of freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irn Bru is awesome! It's made in Scotland from girders, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, you're a leftie, too? Dang. You get cooler by the day. And I am sooooo jealous that you grew up in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You. Not extroverted?

    I call shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vodka: Just growl under your breath and say something gutteral with lots of "CH" (as in "loch") sounds. Like you're clearing your throat. That'll scare her!

    Jeney: Ok. You take Fargo and the south and I'll take the north. We can be rich! :)

    Mr. Reviewer: I did know that oddly enough. It was my favourite thing growing up then I didn't drink it then I left Scotland and craved it. Just because I knew I couldn't get it. You can't get drinks made from girders from just anywhere you know.

    Inky: Yes, I am gauche in every way. And Scotland's like everywhere else. Just wetter. Although I seem to recall long, hot summers as a kid, they don't seem to happen that often nowadays.

    Squirrel: Call it. I am not. I'm the quiet person in the room. I'm observing. I don't like crowds or lively places all that much. I'm happy in a small situation. I'm extroverted in a bunch of people I know well, that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heart Target & Ikea. So sad there is no Ikea close to where I live!

    And I loved this list, I always love learning more about the Veg!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a Mexican cook for ten years. If you need any recipes, you know my email. Though don't ask for Tamales. They're a fucking pain in the arse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, this was a fun read. Will you post some of your paintings for us. Also, promise to never like Gaga, (she tries just too hard to be diff) and yes. It is ALWAYS time to move when the floor bleeds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soda: I know! Who wouldn't? They are just unsurpassable.

    Tennyson: Haha, I'm open to any good Mexican recipes that aren't heavily meat based. I am going to get you to spill your tasty secrets!

    Jules: I might! If you're very good. And I will never like Gaga. She's too terrifying. Oh, and annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As usual, your post is full of chuckles, which is whay I keep coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm shocked you have time to, what with all that travelling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your taste in fruit! It never gets cold in the Congo if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, that was a little further than I was planning but hey. Warm is warm. I have a feeling the Congo is more "BOIL YOUR BALLS" hot. Not that I have balls. I dedicate the bananas in the loaf to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My colleague Iain found an even better name at work yesterday:

    Nobby Usher

    Quality, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't realize anyone even lived in north dakota, except rocky raccoon. I picture it as an unrelenting wilderness.

    Do you have to tackle a bear or a moose to get in?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also think if you can walk out of IKEA or Target without spending at least $100 then you have a brain disfunction. I don't know how anyone can. I can't.

    P.S. You should send this to Lady Gaga.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lederhosen Wednesdays? And I thought I was the only one.

    Congrats on the gallery showing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, you're holding out on us here, Veggie. C'mon, teach us how to say fuck off in Scots Gaelic!!

    As for the cat, I'm sorry. :-(

    ((((BIG BADASS HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  20. 149, You grew up in Scotland? That makes you 10% hotter right there, easily overcoming the -5% on Lady Gaga.

    Congrats on getting your work off to a gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As predicted, a fine read! Enjoyed it immensely (although I have my doubts about that whole 'mellow and even' thing - I've seen some of your rants, girl!). Loved 'Lederhosen are for Wednesdays', lol. I may have to steal that! Target & Ikea: I knew we were kindred spirits ... although I haven't been near an Ikea since I lived in Germany. It'll be 2050 before Ikea makes inroads into the South, I fear.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember Irn-Bru tasting like bubble gum and that weirded me out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy shit, that's so awesome that your paintings are going to be in a gallery! Congratulations!!! And being pretentious full-time made me spit water out my nose--you're so awesome. And feck yeah about good cheese and good Mexican food. Amen sista.

    ReplyDelete
  24. *sniffle* aww, you just made me a little teary-eyed! At least I read this post in time to comment, unlike the last time you gave me an honourary mention. ... Oh, and even though it gets into the 40s during Houston Winters, it's generally around 100-F (40-C) for about 8-9 months of the year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. that is so weird... because i actually was doing your mother last night. aaaaawkward!

    ReplyDelete
  26. "I’d have to go with that colour of blue the sky is on a late afternoon in July."

    Because I have to wake up so early in the morning for work, I've realized I prefer the light blue sky of a morning sunrise to any other time of the day. It makes it easier to get up every morning knowing I'll enjoy my ride up to the city.

    I'll make sure to give that Subway combo a try!

    ReplyDelete
  27. MLS: NOBBY USHER?!?! That is a fantastic name. I think actually, any name partnered with NOBBY has to be pretty funny.

    Mr. C: I really like ND. It's nice and empty. And ok, a bit on the flat side but still ok. And North Dakotans talk funny.

    Jules: I agree. I think it might be illegal in some states to not spend a ton of money. It's so easy. So much cuteness. Thankfully my nearest Ikea's a hefty drive so I'm not too tempted. :)

    Hunter: We should start a Lederhosen club. On Wednesdays. No freaks allowed. You know, like those people who like the lederhosen on say..Mondays. Oh and thanks!

    Cora: I don't want you cussing innocent people in a foreign tongue! Heavens no! :)

    Eric: 149 indeed. Does this mean you have a thing for Lady Gaga? It's the no pants thing isn't it? You can't get past that.

    S.E.: Gasp! No Ikea in the south? That's just wrong. So wrong. Good for your pocket book maybe, but still. Damn! I could live in Ikea.

    Jenna: Someone else said that to me once. It tastes NOTHING like bubble gum to me. Someone else said Junior Aspirin. Odd. It tastes like itself. AWESOME.

    HHH: I think being pretentious for a career would be fun. Like Karl Lagerfeld. Of course he's a diva too...

    DJ: Dude, I could live with that. I don't mind heat although I do hate humidity - isn't Houston humid? Still, either way it's better than cold.

    Becky: You TOO? She gets around. It's funny because I thought she was overseas right now.

    P: This means only that we could share a day. You have the morning sky and me the afternoon. Easy! And yes, try the sandwich. I love the sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pickles, cheese, bacon, vintage 'bugs,' Mexican food, Susie S., being famous in our own minds....we have so much in common.....enjoyed the post, and glad I stopped by.....

    ReplyDelete
  29. C: I can hardly type it out! Watch the movie "Fargo". Then you'll see. Sort of like a Minnesota accent.

    IWW: Well thank you for coming. Ah...those vintage bugs! I'm all for retro looking vehicles. Something with character. Imagine a bacon and cheese sandwich while sitting in a Bug. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Did you say margarita? Mexican food? The omelettes at the IHOP?!

    I wish I could go back. I had tons to say about your list but lost it at the end with the Mexican food thing. You let me know if you ever get to Minneapolis and we'll go out for margaritas and salsa. Maybe some chips. :-)

    Pearl

    p.s. Nutella is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Damn Pearl, I was just there in the summer too! Haha, next time I make an Ikea run we should do just that! Of course that will probably be NEXT summer. :) Mmmm margaritas. Drool.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love lada gaga. So so fucking wierd and successful with out touting religious crap or touching little children (unless I find that she does then I totally change my opinion).

    And if No Dak is anything like Minnesota, then there's enough mexican people around to exploit to make the tasty food.

    Minnesota is obviously much more awesome than its western neighbor, but it could have lots of mexicans

    ReplyDelete
  33. when you said irn-bru my ears perked up and bude kicked in

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations on the gallery showing.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I know that colour blue - it makes great shirts for men too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Val: But...she won't wear PANTS! :)
    Mexican folks are everywhere with their delicious recipes. Well, almost everywhere.

    Bob: Bude as in Cornish? Maybe Cornish people have an affinity with Scottish people and worship their fruity beverages?

    Peachy: Thank you! I'm excited. It's only a little gallery but it's very cool.

    Lulu: And for me. I love deep blue. Imagine a deep blue cashmere sweater or fitted cardigan or twin set for work. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Paintings in a real gallery? How exciting!

    What is this Irn Bru stuff? Even clicking over to the website, I can't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sorry about missing your cat. Loving lederhosen Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Moooooog: Good point. How about kicking him anywhere on his obnoxious little body?

    Red: It's DELICIOUS. It's a Scottish soda. With a distinct flavour. It's the most popular soft drink in Scotland. Over there it has caffeine in it, in Canada it doesn't and tastes slightly different because of it. If you find it in a Brit store in California it's probably the UK version though. And if you see it, TRY IT.

    Brutalism: Well they're less glamourous than they seem. I mean those things chafe!

    ReplyDelete
  40. If you ever start linking to or posting Lady gaga videos I will come down there and kick your ScottishCanadianUsSemiVegitarian ass! I mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. If I ever start posting videos of Lady Gaga, I'll bend over and let you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. "I sometimes fear that I’ll wake up one day and find that I like Lady Gaga"

    That's pretty bad, but nothing on my worst fear. I fear that I'll wake up one day to find myself dragged out into the woods by a pack of tin-whistle-playing hamsters and subjected to eternity of high-pitched whistle playing while woodland animals look on and grin while chewing gum.

    Actually I made that up. Lady Gaga is pretty bad. It could happen, but being aware is the first step, now you just need to convince yourself that she doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Well yours does sound rather frightening. Especially if it's the same woodland creatures that are in South Park. Yikes.

    As for Lady G. to like her I'd have to first hurt my head in a huge lobotomized type of way so I think I'm safe. But I'm putting it out there just in case so you all know when to get me help.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I'm still stuck on you being "busy as a fucking fuck." How is that less/more busy than just a regular "fuck"?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Well, it's just a tiny percentage point more badass fuck! A regular fuck has breaks. I didn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. You grew up in Scotland? I didn't think you could be any cooler than you mention Scotland and living there and being close to the sea and you just upped the cool factor in my book. And mmmm banana bread. I want some. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Mmm yes banana bread! It didn't last long. I might have to make some more it was that good.

    I didn't grow up actually right near the sea - We were about 40 miles from it, but there's really nowhere in the whole country that is very far from the sea. Not like the US or Canada where you can be 2000 miles from it or close to it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Yahoo for 7, 17 and 18. Girl after my own heart. Like how being from Scotland is cool these days. I must be uber cool now.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Haha Banana Bread and Irn Bru. There's a weird combo! Seriously though, as a fellow Scot, how hard is it to describe Irn Bru to someone? You can't do it.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...