Friday, October 23, 2009

One Hot Mess

Hey, it’s the weekend (my weekend starts on Friday, I don’t know about yours). I’ve been crazy busy the last couple of days as all my spare time’s been used up painting a new giant canvas and playing cheesy playlists as I find cheesy songs fuel my painting process like the bejeezus. Or the Bee Gees!

Today I’m all sort of infuriated because I keep getting rubber shavings from my eraser in my white paint. They don’t add much to the painting at all.

You know, when I was at school erasers were called “rubbers”. I know! We said that out loud ALL THE TIME. Nowadays you’d get into all sorts of hot water asking an 8 year old if you can “borrow his rubber”, right? The sad thing is, he’d probably HAVE one. A condom I mean, not an eraser. Try to keep up here.

Talking of condoms, we used to call those, “johnny bags” and we spent many happy pre-pubescent hours sniggering about older boys who carried them in their wallets because oh my God, johnny bags were so DIRTY.

And then there was a big scandal in my school when I was about twelve because a gym teacher arrived to school early one morning and found the *bush outside the gym literally covered in hanging johnny bags! Just hanging from the bushy branches like mutant, latex leaves. I never did find out if they were used or not - because, let's face it, that's the first thing everyone was thinking - but by the time I got in there were, sadly, no hanging johnnies left to be seen.

 However, people were LIVID. You’d think we’d disembowelled a nun on school premises the way they went on. It’s only johnnies, people, jeeze, really.

*somewhere in there is a joke about a “bush” covered in “johnnies” but I’m too lazy to go find it.
Talking of condoms again, I once was out with my mother and her camera ran out of batteries when she was photographing some park or other and I accidentally said, “Oh it’s ok, I have a spare pack of Durex in my bag!” When I meant Duracell. Oops. Anyway…

I’m getting off subject here. Painting. I like painting and it relaxes me a lot except when I get eraser shavings embossed into the paint. And the little bristles from the paintbrush that you have to painstakingly pick out while mumbling things like, “Go fuck a cow you cocksucking little fucks!” and then it occurs to you that maybe expecting to do a professional grade painting using brushes you bought at the dollar store while you were looking for a rubber spatula, might not be the most genius idea you ever had.

So yes. I came on here to say I don’t even have a meme for you today, that’s how lame I am and I ended up posting this nonsense instead. However, if you’d like a nice, cool, refreshing beverage of the alcoholic persuasion this weekend, I think you should nip over HERE to Miss Buffy’s site where I am guest hosting a cocktail for her Cocktail Friday. Honestly Buffy is one of the most interesting people in the whole world! I believe it's written in stone somewhere. Her parents were bona fide hippy types and she’s a professional actress and bartender and once worked in an editorial capacity, at “HUSTLER” alongside one Larry Flynt. I mean really, how cool is that? Go check her out and while you're there, see if my cocktail makes your tastebuds swoon.

Toodaloo!

41 comments:

  1. That drink sounds delicious! I heart vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny covered bush...priceless! I have an award for you on my blog today, Veg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red: Invest in some Angostura Bitters and try it. You will LOVE it!

    Eva: Woohoo! Thank you ma'am. I have to go check some blogs, as I haven't had a chance yet today. Is the award for being rambly and awesome? If not, why not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum on the cocktail. I hope your painting project gets easier this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you miss Peachy! If my canvas cooperates and is shaving free, I might succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I commission you to make me a painting of a bush covered in johnny-bags?

    It'll totally go with my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm that would be a classy pic! Oh and be careful what you wish for. Ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking to increase my alcohol consumption these days, and that sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It honestly is. And I don't even like vodka much! It's refreshing and easy to drink. And I suggest you make one immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  10. “Oh it’s ok, I have a spare pack of Durex in my bag!”

    Best unintentional statement ever!

    Oh and I'll take that cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, well thankfully she laughed. And yes, try it. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a lesbian but your cocktain always makes my tastebuds swoon. I was at the HUSTLER club a few weeks ago. After commenting, I'm also going to google disemboweled a nun on school premises just to see if that kind of thing has ever occurred before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lord, Lola. There's a result for every search. Just watch out for the FBI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. In your cartoon you look like you've been baking all day. In a related story, getting those damn paintbrush bristles coming off is even a more giant pain in the ass when you're painting something edible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can imagine! Ick! No one wants to eat a bristle. And oddly enough I have been baking too. I made pumpkin bread. Yes really.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm, maybe that's how I got knocked up by that British guy years ago. I told him to use a rubber, and a month later I ended up at the gynecologist with a fetus and an eraser inside me.

    OK, now I'm trying to figure out how to wiggle out of this lie without making some horrible abortion joke.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You never fail to crack me up.

    Painting relaxes me too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the paint and rubbers gave you ADD today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Becks: I have no words. Really. It's a first.

    Hannah: Painting plus beer is REALLY relaxing!

    Jules: Ha! Now explain the other days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're so awesome. The cocktail at HHH is such a success! I think we succeeded in getting people's buzz on today! And I just love it when you talk about rubbers. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's just nothing sexier, right? I used to have novelty rubbers as a child. I'm talking erasers here incidentally not... well. I had an elephant I was particularly fond of. I didn't want to erase a thing with him he was so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What about painting with a condom?

    I've been practicing my brush strokes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just can't fathom how you managed to get the johnnies in your paint.

    ReplyDelete
  24. When I was in high school, we used to call condoms 'dingers.' Never did find out why. Oh, and you know the old joke about not asking for Durex in Australia right? Durex is sticky tape over here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loath it when my dollar store paint brushes leave bristles in my work! One of these days, I will purchase some nice brushes. I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ah, those days of innocence. Years ago, I was drawing a cartoon strip of Snow White for my small niece, and having to do a lot of alterations. My diary tells me "Since starting on Snow White I've been getting through a hell of a lot of rubbers."

    What would Disney say?

    ReplyDelete
  27. She worked with that famous physics scientist in the wheelchair at Hustler?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hahaha, I'm a cheap brush buyer too. Those little fucking loose bristles!

    Off to check out the cocktail : )

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pearl: You are so drunk. I hope. :)

    Ed: That's a technique I hadn't even considered but hey, I could start a new trend, no?

    Mo: Talent. Sheer talent. Yup.

    Tennyson: Dingers? I like that. Although they sound like some quick junk food snack you'd find at TGI Friday's. :) And I'd totally forgotten that about Durex and tape. I remember an Australian friend telling me that YEARS ago. Too funny.

    Jules: I know! I always think, "Wow, what a bargain!" and then I realize "Oh. I see why." :) But I never learn.

    Simon: Hahaha, oops. Walt just spun in his grave. Disney and condoms = NO. I still call erasers rubbers though. I can't bring myself to say "eraser". It seems...wrong.

    Eric: Hahaha, dude. Yes. That guy. Larry Hawking.

    Soda: They're so enticing. And annoying. But useful for the occasional thing. And yum, yes, the cocktail! Do it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. there seems to be a lot of paint centered around your boobs. just sayin. and no, i wasn't not looking at your cartoon boobs. the end.

    cocktails at 11am on a sunday, veg? well, ok.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'd be worried if my bush were covered in johnnies. People might see me as a lose women.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I put a johnny bag on my cocktail.

    I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Becky: Well they tend to catch the drops you know? And yah-huh.

    Madame: I can't imagine why! An unbathed woman certainly... :)

    Moooooog: Um. :) You just might be. But each to their own. You just go on with your bad self.

    ReplyDelete
  34. How about making my life easy and installing the little "followers" widget so I can click on it and read your blog more often?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Miss Mist: Done! It was showing up blank so I dropped it, but it seems good now!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow rubber and cocktails sounds like my kind of blog!

    Kate http://secretofficeconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. College has kept me away from viewing your blog, veggie assassin, it's so good to be reading it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Johnny bags! I love it when you talk Scottish.

    More, please.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Mr. C: Yes she is indeed. And stop sulking.

    Kate: It's nice to see a fellow perv.

    Juan: Hey! I hope it's going well and you're not brain dead from all the work. :)

    Py: Haha, I will try to say it in a refined Queen's English type of accent from now on. Like, "One wonders why there ahr johnny begs, henging from thet tree!"

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...