Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Memories (Is a Really Dreadful Song)

I think everyone has a person or character in their life who was a small part of their conscious, every day existence for a while, who then suddenly vanished from their life as effortlessly as they entered it, never to be seen again and who you haven’t thought about more than a small handful of times since they went.

Something God and I were talking about the other day made me recall an old man I used to see around my neighborhood as a kid. He used to fascinate me and the other kids and I talked with him often, but one day he just wasn’t there anymore and I haven’t thought about him since, until now.

My conversation with God went something like this:

God (imitating some moose or walrus or something): *GRUNT* that’s the sound he made. 

Me: Oh. That noise reminds me of something. When I was little I used to hang around this old guy who made that exact sound. 


God: Uh…what? 


Me: He was always in the woods, grunting. 


God: …You hung around with some old guy in the woods who grunted a lot? 


Me: Yeah, he used to grunt really loudly while he was doing his thing. 


God: ???? 


Me; Oh for goodness sake, it was nothing like THAT. He grunted when he was stacking his wood. 


God: Excuse me? 


Me: He was always chopping wood. With an axe. And he’d stack it in piles. 


God: Have you ever considered therapy?


See, I grew up in the woods. Before you all go thinking “That explains EVERYTHING!” I was NOT raised by wolves or a strange new age cult, it’s just that our house happened to be among the trees, near the river on the edge of the woods. It was a great place to grow up, open space, trees to climb, no traffic or people, just long days of adventuring and being outdoors. And this old man would often be there with his axe, chopping and grunting, grunting and chopping.

As an adult you might be somewhat wary of an unwashed, old, grunting dude who skulked in the woods with an axe and who talked to children, but as a kid you don’t see anything suspicious or unreasonable about this, so we started going over and asking him intelligent things like, “what are you doing?” and “What’s your name?” and stupid stuff like that.

He was a man of few words but he was always polite and he’d answer our questions gracefully. Gradually, like kids do, everyone lost interest but I kept talking to him every day. Sometimes, when I was out walking my dog, I’d take him a sandwich or a cookie and ask him about various things and he’d sit back and talk. He got a real kick out of my dog too which made me like him even more. I got the feeling he didn’t have any family anymore and liked the company. He wasn’t creepy or dubious or anything like that, but he wasn’t quite all there either. We’d stay for ten minutes or so then I’d wave goodbye and head home.

Strangely enough, when I saw the movie “Slingblade” for the first time, it was like a jolt from the past - Billy-Bob Thornton’s character reminded me big time of that old man. He was an older version but the same simple, sad, somewhat sweet personality. You know, apart from the whole murder by Kaiser Blade, thing.

Nowadays if a kid talks to some old guy in the woods, someone’s on the phone with the police before you can blink. Back then everyone knew about the old guy and that he was harmless and no one batted an eyelid, except now and then to chide us not to bother him and let him do his work. Back then it was conceivable that something could still be innocent and harmless.

I wonder what happened to that old man? Did he stop coming round because he died? Got sick? Moved someplace else? Did he know that someone, all these years later would be wondering about him? Life’s full of ships that pass in the night, but just sometimes, some of them stick with you as a reminder of who you once were.

41 comments:

  1. Aww, that's sweet.

    But now I have "Memories" stuck in my head. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime. Good luck with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely ending. I knew someone a bit like that when I was a kid, and worse still he wanted to be a Catholic priest. They were more innocent times so I don't feel like I had a lucky escape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly! I'd spend entire days of my childhood on my own in the woods out of contact with my parents and no one worried. We all did it. We knew the basics; don't get into cars with strangers and so on, but apart from that there wasn't the frantic fear there is nowadays. I'm not saying it isn't warranted these days but I don't remember that level of it back in the late 70s/early 80s when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My initial stage of growing up took place in a SMALL small town next to a freakin' farm. And it was in Germany. And everybody knew everybody and looked out for everyone else. So talkin' to an axed old man? That actually sounds normal to me. It's something I woulda done too.. and probably have on more than one occasion

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, same here. I never thought of anyone as odd back then, I just sort of let them prove themselves. Danger never occurred to me. Even now, unless someone's obviously completely batshit insane, I still give them the benefit of the doubt until I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MmmmmHmmmm... reckon I'm gonna use my ax to chop me up sum taters with mustard. Mmmmmhmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some.... french fried potaters, mmm hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up running wild in the woods too. We were in the suburbs, but there were woods on either side of us and all the parents used to lock the kids out of the house until dinner time and we would just fend for ourselves. IT WAS A BRILLIANT WAY TO GROW UP!! It was kid heaven. The only rule was don't play in the ravine, which of course meant we were in the ravine at least twice a week.

    Heh heh heh.

    Never met any old guys grunting in the woods though. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! It WAS a great way to grow up. I feel bad that kids nowadays don't get those opportunities and even if they did they'd prefer to stay in and play video games. I lived outside all summer long as a kid. We had the same stipulation about the river - stay away from it and the rapids in particular. Of course we jumped on rocks over those all the damn time.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Somebody made this observation recently (and I can't remember who the hell it was, damn Alzheimers) that back in the day, during the summer, kids would leave the house when they got up in the morning and maybe come back for lunch, and then be gone again until dark... you would never let your kids out unsupervised like that these days.

    I grew up pretty close to the city with a super-anxious mother, so I never got to hang out with strangers. Your lovely story makes me feel like I missed out on something!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess I'm getting old, because I remember things being like that and I wish they could be that way again. I'm afraid that's a time that will never be recaptured, though.

    I really liked this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool post babe. And it is true about the level of fear in our society right now for kids playing in woods, kids hanging around shabbily dressed people (esp men) etc. Most people in this world don't mean anybody any harm. I think you sound like a kind little kid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soda: Yeah it's true, at least where I grew up - within 8 miles of the city but really in a countrified area. I'd be gone all day long and come back when it got dark some days.

    Words: Yeah it's only recently things have gotten crazy I think. No one would let their spawn run wild these days but I feel they miss out on a lot of childhood learning because of it too. Sad really!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mel: I think I was fairly kind in regards to people who were a bit different - they intrigued me. I had my moments with my peers though. I could scrap with the best of them! :) I don't blame parents nowadays for reining their kids in - they have no choice with the predators in the world now. I mean I'm sure they were always there but they seem much more prevalent now, what with internet access and so on putting them in contact with anyone they like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He was probably just chopping wood to build a superfortress.

    Then when he was done, he holed himself up to get away from 'those galldanged kids'.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally thought you were going to say "he was probably building a superfortress to imprison all those trusting, young, nubile kidlings he had befriended."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Things were still pretty innocent in the early-mid 90s when I was a kid (OK, showing my lack of age here - don't hold it against me...) But I must qualify that by adding that I did live in a rural backwater, so it was pretty easy to figure out if someone was dodgy. I mean, dodgier than your average rural backwater-dweller. Who was, more often than not, an axe-swinging, grunting older gentleman who talked to children.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha, you know, maybe grunting axe wielders are cosmic angels or something, sent to be harbingers of something or other for mankind. Or...maybe not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i was going to say something clever and witty (because i am both) but this was just so damn sweet. i love this story. tell it to me again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha, yes I am sweet. Me. I guess there IS a first time for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My childhood was spent running wild in the woods, also. It was a great way to meet your neighbors, especially the really nice ones that let you pet their horses and stuff, and would occasionally give you a free kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes indeed :) Free kittens are always good. I wish someone would give me one now. I love me some kitteh goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Why did you have to remind me that I actually saw Cats on Broadway? What a trauma!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hee!!! Um...sorry? :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm pretty sure he was also the guy from Home Alone. So obviously he was reunited with his family and grandaughter and lived happily every after!

    You're WELCOME.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Do you know what? I've never SEEN Home Alone. I'm the ONE. Never. :) Damn you, maybe now I have to to see what the hell you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely reading, K-jee.
    When I was a little girl- my cousin and I would spend hours in the evenings roaming around the area all by ourselves. She was the tom-boy- who'd climb the neighbour's walls and all... I would rather go to their gardens through the door (I was always the 'boring' one). I don't think our parents ever worried that something dreadful will happen to us... I don't see that much now :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. You were a girlie girl, Mo, I can see it. Me, I was the tomboy. Give me something to climb and I was happy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOL... no, I wasn't!
    I just wasn't a tom-boy as she were, but that doesn't make me a 'girlie girl'!
    Think in greys, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's ok, I never really pegged you as a girlie girl all ribbons and dresses, Mo. You're much too feisty for that! :) Maybe an OCCASIONAL girlie girl, how about that?

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL! Okay, that sounds better. Hehe...
    Strange thing is, it's that cousin who ended up being a housewife and a mother- cooking 5 things everyday... not that I have anything against them (okay, yes I do)- but whatever happens to people!?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well some, like you, turn out just fine! Others have a mental lobotomy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I kind of enjoyed the 15 seconds at the beginning of this post when I thought you were going to tell us you were childhood friends with a sasquatch.

    ReplyDelete
  35. No man, I only befriend those NOW! When I was little it was old grunting men. Try to get your odd beings straight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Damn it....now I'm singing that song. Thanks. A guy in our neighborhood used to take a bunch of us kids to the drive-in. He didn't grunt or carry an axe or anything though.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Suze! Are you feeling better? You poor, sick lady. (in more ways than one!) Ha. Your old guy's axe was probably in his pants, am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Maybe Ill get a photo of someone who looks like him for you and you can hang it up in the airstream.

    It is sad that we can't trust our kids around people anymore.

    At least we have airstreams and liquor.

    ReplyDelete
  39. And dude, those things go together like kerosene and an open flame. No they don't. Airstream fridges are way big enough to encompass a 12 pack and a cocktail bucket.

    Maybe I'll just put a photo of a random old guy on the wall. How creepy would THAT be?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Are you sure you haven't got the Old Man and God mixed up? The fellow you call 'God' sounds senile to me. If God doesn't exist, the 'Old Man' might have been Einstein.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hmmm, I don't know, did Einstein grunt much? Maybe the old guy WAS God. Although I think someone as prestigious as God might have a minion to chop wood FOR him. Of course, maybe he wanted to be one of the "people"... it's so confusing!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...