Thursday, August 30, 2018

Oregon - The Coastal state that isn't Washington or California

August 2018

A few weeks ago, on a giant whim of inspiration and spontaneity, we took a trip to the Oregon Coast. I've passed through Oregon numerous times on the way to other, more vacationy states, or on the way back to Washington, however, I had never actually made it all the way across to the coast. Generally, when in Oregon, I'm swearing at drivers on the I5 around Portland where they seem to like to host a special traffic jam whenever I'm anywhere near.

Unsurprisingly, the coast was beautiful. And windy. But mostly beautiful. Morning fog rolling in over the ocean, like something out of a Stephen King novel, gorgeous vistas and rocky, ocean landscapes laid out before you like...well...ocean landscapes, basically. So pretty.

Wanna see a few pictures? Tough titty, mister or missus, I'm doing it. These aren't in any order of any sort (hello, this is me!) just some of my faves. Just a tiny, poignant selection for your perusal.

Our first stop was in Bandon, Oregon, south of Coos Bay, where we marvelled at the stunning views and took a drive down the Gold Coast towards California. I might be wrong here, however, I think the Oregon portion of the Pacific Coast Highway, might be even more stunning than the Californian part. High lookouts, rocky shorelines, beautiful beaches.

See?

Bandon Beach

Not too shabby, eh? Seemed like everywhere you went in Bandon you got a view like this.

We also saw the wonderfully named Cape Foulweather and Cape Perpetua. I think this photo is of the latter, but don't quote me on it.



Some horses on the beach in Seaside, OR

So many secluded coves

Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach for Goonies fans


Naturally, this is a tiny selection of the pretty, but I'm losing the will to live and the other million photos are similar oceany shots. I mean I don't want to bore people to death. Not today.

A real blog entry is coming later. This one's been in my drafts for three weeks. C'est la vie!

6 comments:

  1. The 4 horsemen - oh no! I thought it would be zombies instead of those guys. Back to the drawing for my defenses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisle: Yikes, I didn't think of that. Maybe the apocalypse is starting in Oregon? Luckily I have plenty wine. I think I can see it through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Oregon coast! So pretty. I think we visited Haystack Rock before Goonies came out, but now that's the hook for me. Goonies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey GJK! Haha yes it's very proud of its Goonies heritage and to be honest, that's what I think of when I think of the Oregon Coast! I knew it would be pretty but didn't somehow expect it to be THAT pretty. Very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been there! We did that road trip about four years ago. It was utterly gorgeous. Didn't see any horses on the beach though. That is probably my favorite of your pictures. Makes me feel like I'm watching a movie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cora: Isn't it gorgeous!? I was amazed how stunning it was and not nearly as busy as the Californian part. Loved it. I also love the horse on the beach pic - they just suddenly appeared out of the mist so I had to take it. The actual photo is huge and much better. So atmospheric!

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...