April 10th, 2018
Some days your creative juices just won't squeeze. Usually, it's not an issue, but when you're working in a creative field this can be problematic, so you spend your time jogging your available resources for inspiration, anything to jump start that spark. Surfing through Pinterest, Deviant Art, Etsy...just one thing to make you exclaim, "Oh I know what I'll do!"
Sometimes it pans out. Yesterday it didn't. I couldn't come up with a viable idea to save my life, my brain whirred and stirred like maybe it was cooking up some fragment of an idea, before sputtering out into nothing like a battery on the blink.
I've learned, through experience, you can't force these things, so instead of sitting frustrated at my lack of vision, I did some admin stuff I'd been putting off, then I climbed out of my attic office mid-afternoon, headed to the kitchen, and baked me a big cashew and lentil loaf.
I love my nut loaves. I know they have this image of being hippy veggie food and people enjoy scoffing at them as the food of weak little vegetarians who could use a big, fucking steak, but usually those are people who've never tasted a good one, because they are truly one of the tastiest things ever.
I will procrastinate making one for weeks - this one was no exception - because they're time consuming and have so many stages, but the final result is exceptional. You can either slice them up and serve with multiple veggies or salad or potatoes (I usually make one for Thanksgiving and Christmas for myself and they go great with cranberry sauce) or you can do what I'm doing this time, and slice it thinner and use cold, as a filling for sandwiches. They make the best sandwiches.
So it ended up being a somewhat productive day after all, in that it fed my belly with something nutritious and super tasty, and today? Well I might get something creative done after all.
Bottoms up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Here's the What What
So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...
-
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 - the wee small hours of insomnia Religion. It's all around us. And it's killing us in record num...
-
You know what? Swearing's a fine tool to have in your arsenal, and Lord knows it's my favourite power tool of all - even better tha...
-
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 – achey breaky knee, Tonka Bean chocolate is good, digging plaid Hi! Yes you! Remember me? I sometimes post n...
Wait. Why do you have to come up with a viable idea to save your life? Are you in peril, Veg? (tee hee running and ducking) Nut Loaf is my gangster moniker. You have creative ways all the time. I enjoy your writings. Procrastination is a dirty word. I embrace it. Carry on, Veg. About that nut loaf...It's close to cake.
ReplyDeleteHey Fargo! Yes my life was in severe peril. :) The abyss of non creative hell awaited. Nut Loaf would suit you as a name, not that I'm implying anything, you being somewhat an expert in firearms and all...And, well, nut loaf is not THAT close to cake (0r even at all) but hey, we make the rules, so you go on with that thinking. I still have half a loaf left two days later and man, it just gets better every day.
ReplyDeleteIf you have ever mentioned that creative field you work in, I have forgotten. If you never mentioned it then that's fine. The internet warlords know more than we want already.
ReplyDeleteI'm certain I've never eaten a nut loaf. I do enjoy eating nuts. Does it have the consistency of meatloaf?
I agree completely with your statement that creativity can not be forced. I suspects it manifest itself when you are relaxed and/or idle.
Lisle: Yep, it just appears when it feels like it. Could be anytime at all. If only it could be harnassed for good. :)
ReplyDeleteNut loaf is a similar texture to meatloaf I believe - I haven't eaten meatloaf since I was a kid but it's the same idea only without meat. It's delicious!
Nut loaf? Hmmm.... I've never heard it called that, but whatever floats your boat :-) (and yes I know that is something an immature teenage boy would say)
ReplyDeleteI am trying very hard to get back in the swing of cooking and find if I actually do it while listening to music the food is way better than take out.
I certainly understand. However, isn't being inspired to eat something you love enough? I choose to believe it is. Right now I'm inspired to have white wine and chili-cheese fritos. Is that not creative? Is that not art?
ReplyDeletePat: It so is. And I'd like some of THAT please. 😃
ReplyDelete