Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Golden Girls Gone Wild

I had an email from my mother this morning, who is currently doing a spot of travelling in far away places, to tell me she landed in Tokyo safely and that it was 26 degrees Celsius and humid. I don’t know about you guys’ mothers but mine always likes to keep me abreast of the weather situation, at any given time, wherever she is, just in case of emergency. She’s British you see, therefore she still has this inbuilt wonder and appreciation of any weather that isn’t apocalyptic.

I have visions of being on some game show like, “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” and the question comes up, “What is currently 26 degrees and humid?” and I can glance at the choices and confidently smile and say, “Well Regis, if I’m not mistaken, ‘David Hasselhoff’s sweaty ball sack’ actually clocks in at a rather tepid twenty FOUR degrees, therefore, it would have to be C) the weather in Tokyo!” and everyone would gasp and applaud, fully impressed that someone should know something so absurd and Regis would be all, “Ah, I assume you have a retired mother visiting Tokyo?” and I’d be like, “Sure do Reeg. And coincidentally, she’s the one who told me about the Hoff’s sack!” and we’d all laugh and nod knowingly and ideally I’d get $250,000 (and some soothing salve for my mind after its imagination of Hasselhoff’s balls.)

My mother’s a touch eccentric to begin with and she likes to travel, so when she emailed me a few months ago and said, “I’m so tired of the rainy weather this summer, I think that Pat and I will take a little trip somewhere to escape!”, I didn’t think much of it as she and her best friend Pat are always going on little weekends here and there since they’ve now both retired.

One year they splashed out and went to Greece for a week, returning with tales of heavily moustachioed Greek men who called them “ladies” and plied them with Ouzo while they stayed out till ALMOST MIDNIGHT!

“Where are you going?” I asked, when I next spoke to her on the phone.

“Well…” she said. “We’re spending ten days in Tokyo, three weeks in Australia and a week in Hong Kong!”

So that was her idea of a “little trip”. For the record, my “little trips” normally involve a weekend up in Grand Forks to eat Mexican food and drink margaritas till I pass out then waking up with a bra on my head. And realizing “That’s not MY bra!”

Anyway, she was excited because Japan’s not like anywhere she’s ever been before and she wasn’t sure she was ready for the culture shock. To be honest, I’m not sure Japan’s ready for the culture shock of two sixty-something year old ladies trying to figure out the intricacies of sushi and vending machines full of secret alien substances. I’m sort of half hoping for entertainment’s sake, that she comes home dressed as as schoolgirl and sporting a Hello Kitty backpack.

63 comments:

  1. That Hoffsack was the last thing I needed this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's "little trip" sounds amazing! Man, I can't wait to be retired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha WOW i wish my mom was like that. my stepdad won a cruise to ... i don't remember ... like, finland and italy or something totally crazy and she was all "hmmm i don't know"
    and i was like "YOU ARE RIDICULOUS, IT'S A FREE TRIP TO FINLAND!!!"
    she ended up going but all she told me was she bought a scarf and some earrings and looked at an old church or something

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaha, she sounds adorable! Where is she going in Oz? I hope to the Great Barrier Reef before it crumbles into dust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your mom found it important to give you a weather update.

    I'm not sure why, but my husband has an obsession with the weather. I never have to watch the news because I can just ask him for an up-to-the-minute forecast.

    Maybe it's me, but I don't get people who are obsessed with the weather - particularly if they're going to be indoors all day.

    Maybe your mom will do a little karaoke in Japan. I hear it is big over there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. The Golden Girls gone wild. Good for Mama and her friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But more importantly, where do YOU stand on which side of the road to drive on? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Planting images of the Hoff's balls is pure evil. Evil, I say!

    If you need me, I'll be dumping bleach into my mind's eye...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great that your mother is so independent, healthy, and has someone with whom to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becks: Aw c'mon, you love the Hoffmeister!

    Red: She gets around for sure. Geographically I mean. Yikes.

    Miss C: Haha, I know, who wouldn't want to go ANYWHERE really that's free? Besides I've been to Finland AND Italy and I loved them! I didn't go near ONE old church either. :)

    Little Ms.B: The mere idea of my mom deciding to do karaoke is warming my cockles. I would PAY to witness that I believe.

    Peachy: Oh she's always going places. She's very sprightly. She makes me jealous of all her comings and goings.

    DJ: Hahaha! Having driven on both, neither feel wrong to me. I don't even have a problem changing gear with either hand. I'm adaptable.

    Hunter: Well, I didn't see why I should be the only one! I can honestly say that today's the first time I've ever dumped a couple of punch bags on anyone's crotch. Hopefully not the last though.

    Eva: Oh yeah, she's all those things. She's still young though and full of energy. The sixties are the new forties or something. Well you know, you're pretty energetic yourself with your crazy road tripping! Of which I am envious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soda: She's been to Oz three times before. She loves it. She has friends there on the west coast and she's been to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Cairns. Crazy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fuck.

    And I was excited I went to the mall this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course your British mother's obsessed with the weather. She's British! Have you ever visited Britain and its British Weather??? It's MAD.
    Summertime you have to find a way of combining waterproofs, t shirts and two layers of knits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every time I'm in the UK it rains the entire time. I've been once when it was hot and sunny for four straight days and I thought I'd mistakenly flown into Spain or something. :) No wonder everyone likes to drink over there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eccentric parents are a hoot... especially the Brits. Your mom sounds fun.

    Unfortunately my parents were born in Texas, but I did have an Irish grandfather that ran away to join a circus when he was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know, jeeze, thank God I turned out sane, eh!

    The circus you say? Interesting! What did he do there?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll travel with your mom.

    And what do you have with the HOff.. I may have to cancel my "membership" lol

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. So I'm not getting it. You LOVE the Hoff or you HATE the Hoff? I say you have a Hoff shrine somewhere in your house. With much better pix of his balls.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My brother moved to Australia several years ago.

    For the first year, all he talked about was the weather.

    And the second.

    And the third.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha, you'd think there was enough variation of weather in Australia to talk about. "Oh it's warm today. Today is slightly less warm but still warm. Now it's winter and it's still pretty fucking warm, actually!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Which bit of Australia is she going to? It rains too much in the north, it's too hot in Sydney and it's too dry in the outback. I hope she's going to Melbourne - that has proper British weather so she'll like it there :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loved this blog today. It made my heart smile- well except for the bit about David H. That was disgusting but picturing a 60 year old woman with a Hello Kitty backpack was amusing.

    My dad is a dive master and a dive instructor so when he first left his job to work at a dive shop I used to get irritating emails while I was at work that said "I'm just sitting here trying to decide whether to have the chicken or the vegetarian plate in first calss when the Maylasian Bureau of tourism pays for me to go there and check out the diving for 3 weeks. How is your day Lola? Working hard?"

    The Bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Squirrel: She is indeed going to be in Melbourne. And other places. She travels. I'm sure the last thing she wants is "proper British weather" though. :)

    Lola: Wow that is LOW. Rubbing it in like that. Shame on him. I hope you didn't sulk for too long?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ouzo was the first liquor I ever drank and it made me puke everywhere, so if your mother can handle the authentic stuff from Greece, then I salute her! Hope she's having a fun time in Japan and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dude, you know she'll be living the high life over there, immersing herself in the culture and sending postcards like her little life depends on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. My mom informed me that she's going to Florida AND Lancaster, PA this winter. What the hell? She also likes to keep me abreast (I said breast) of the happenings of her neighbor who:

    1. I don't know
    2. I don't care about
    3. I don't know and don't care about.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, he took me to exotic places a few times so I can't really complain to much. I just took the opportunity to weep uncontrollably at my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Suze: Haha, bitter much, missy?

    Lola: We all need an excuse to wail uncontrollably I think. It's good for the soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. There's a lot of bottom-pinching going on in Japan. I hope your mother is mentally prepared for it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I believe that's her idea of a compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My parents are traveling all over the place, too. Retired life sounds pretty sweet. Unfortunately I'll be working until ten years after I'm dead.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yeah you can forget pensions when we're that age. Damn it. I guess we better win that lottery then. I'm sure both of us can manage that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  33. My parents are also obsessed with the weather - they live in Florida and like to rub it in when they call. (Although I win in August when they are melting in the burning heat) But it goes deeper than their need to make me feel bad. They have the weather channel on all day when they are at home - like background noise. My mother says they like the music. Weirdos.

    I noticed too that when my mother in law was visiting she also seemed to be always checking the weather in all the various places where her children and grandchildren live and commenting about it like this, "Oh, looks like a big storm brewing over Miami. I better call and make sure everyone is OK". Kinda sweet.

    I think you are lucky to have such an daredevil for a mom (or mum - suit yourself). My folks very rarely ever leave their retirement community and they are very dull indeed. They think Chicago is exotic.

    ReplyDelete
  34. 1) Yes it did. :)

    2) Your mom is making me laugh. Do you think we hit a certain age then become obsessed with weather instead of sex/food/music/fun? My mom does that too - she'll call and go "I see it's thundering there today!" and I'm all "Is it? Oh you're right!"

    ReplyDelete
  35. Is your mum an internal woman of mystery or secret agent or drugs smuggler, with a weather fetish? But then if she's from Awesomeville like my mum, weather is a constant throughout any conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think MY trips should look more like your mom's and less like mine and yours. I'll be sure to tell you the weather (of course, I'll have to carry a thermometer that has Celsius on it...).

    ReplyDelete
  37. Madame: You just KNOW it. :) It starts and ends every conversation and colours the stuff you tell her you're doing within it. And yes, I believe she MUST be working for MI5 or 6 or something.

    Jules: Agreed. Mine too. I've always been a Fahrenheit girl myself so even I have problems with Celsius sometimes. I have to have both or I'm hopelessly confused.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Bloody Hell. I was just googling around, finding out the size of Hasselhoff's nads etc. and here I find myself. Fancy that.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, my Mom does the exact same thing with weather. She gives me a weather report of where she lives twice a day. One in email and one over the phone. Outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I hope she has her jitterbug mobile phone all charged up and her maps all highlighed. I bet she writes out her little itnerary for you too. And sends at least three postcards. Perhaps our moms are related.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love your mother's sense of adventure and her spontaneity. It also seems she has tracking ability (can hold a thought), which my mother does not.

    Me: Mom,about 12 people came to see my house.

    Mom: I had a ham sandwich for lunch.

    Me: That's nice. A few of the people seemed to really like it. I'm hopeful.

    Mom: Old Mary was really bossy when we played cards.

    Do you see where this is going? Yeah, nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Mo: I actually used your nads to make the picture. Hasselhoff actually cried when he saw them as he knows his just don't compete.

    HHH: Yep. That's mine too. They all do it, I'm convinced.

    Sharon: It's like you know her personally! She is the postcard queen. And I received her full itinerary the other day complete with flight times.

    Py: Ha, well she never listens to me either half the time. I'll say something, she'll pause a second then go off on some other unrelated tangent. I could talk gibberish and she wouldn't notice.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love it when you tell funny stories about your Mum. I am also a Daughter of the Traveling Parent, so your words are all too familiar.

    Hey, can the weather thing skip a generation? My parents have never exhibited any interest in meteorology, but my grandma will call me about a bad storm that's coming my way in 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I did have to take a moment to scrub my eyes with bleach after the 'hoff pic...

    ReplyDelete
  45. Kat: Maybe your parents are freaks of nature in a good way. Or they just let grandma carry the weather burden all by herself. :)

    Ms. Dramatic: You're welcome for that joy.

    Brutalism: Imagine if I'd used his REAL balls? You'd faint.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I aspire with all my heart to be your mom.

    Except for the weather thing. Instead of that, I'll constantly inform people of the state of my underpants, or something. "A little to the left today."

    Gotta keep it exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hahahaha! "Hello honey! Mom here. Oh I'm fine. Suspicious yellowing stain on my gusset. I think I might be drinking too much tea..."

    ReplyDelete
  48. OH. MY. GOD! are you talking about MY mother? she is absopositively OBSESSED with the weather. i can be out of town and that's ALL she wants to talk about and then she'll talk about the weather the last time SHE was there... and if SHE'S out of town that's the only info i get! it must be a 60's thing. old ladies, pfft.

    ReplyDelete
  49. MLB: It's the collective mother! They're all crazy. Once some living entity escapes your vagina you seem to gain a weather gene. :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Your humorous mocking of old ladies traveling afar is sweet, but I predict that someday your own progeny will read it and weep. Because you will have become your own mother, except possibly for the weather report thing. Fear not, by that far-off day, you'll be so crazy you won't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Well, I am not planning any progeny however, I fear you're right, I am going to be that same old lady, planning my days around the weather patterns and enjoying every moment of my crazy senor days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. ...or even SENIOR days, since I'm not a Spanish gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
  53. crap I wish you didnt catch the senor blunder.

    I wish I could say something funny but my brain is fried from working so much lately. I'll think of somethin'

    ReplyDelete
  54. Lucky for me I'm quick off the mark then!

    Were you working on EVIL?

    ReplyDelete
  55. Ok, she's getting the travelling out of the way; when does the huge drug habit begin? At least, that's what I'm doing when I retire.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh my God. Imagining her on drugs is comical and terrifying all at once. I've seen her after two small glasses of wine. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  57. When I get old,I know I'd probably do the same. Travel, I mean, not give my daughter the daily weather update.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Demi: Haha, I bet you do BOTH.

    Mr. C: I am one province over, strangely. Yet still a good 300kms from the Sask. border. WHY? Are you bombing it?

    ReplyDelete
  59. I LOVE ghost towns (the deserted kind, not the casper kind), and turns out canada has a bunch of 'em in Sasketchy and Alberta.

    The one that I can recall off hand was a town called Bateman.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Oh I love them too! And Sask. has tons of abandoned houses and churches and barns as well as little towns. I went to one in Alberta last summer called Dorothy which had a great old school house and church you could go wander in. They're everywhere. It's sad. All these great buildings just left to rot.

    ReplyDelete

Hit me with your rhythm stick.

Here's the What What

So. People have nudged me about my total ineptness at updating this thing and they are correct. It's just, I don't have a life reall...